Information On Visiting The Philippines?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
mlauzon
Freshman Poster

Information On Visiting The Philippines?

Post by mlauzon »

I may be going there later this year to visit some friends who live there, if plans fall through to visit one of my friends in the US.

I'm Canadian by the way.

My friends live in Manila.

What is the best way to find out about renting an apartment and/or house for a month, and the cost of doing so, I have no idea where to look?

Costs for different things, etc?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Michael
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Just look through the posts in the Asia index as it's been discussed 10's of times and pointless to repeat once again here.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

mlauzon wrote:I may be going there later this year to visit some friends who live there, if plans fall through to visit one of my friends in the US.

I'm Canadian by the way.

My friends live in Manila.

What is the best way to find out about renting an apartment and/or house for a month, and the cost of doing so, I have no idea where to look?

Costs for different things, etc?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
You might get more information from expat forums. Living in Cebu, despite it's Cebu title is a very good one, and has plenty of info on rentals and general costs. And of course like anything and anywhere else it depends on what style of traveler you are. Unlike much of the country, Manila is not cheap, but everyone has a different notion as to what is or isn't an acceptable cost.
mlauzon
Freshman Poster

Post by mlauzon »

I did signup for that site at the same time I found this one, however, almost 48 hours later I am still waiting for their "admin" to approve my account for posting & reading the forums.
Michael
mlauzon
Freshman Poster

Post by mlauzon »

So, one of my friends wants to set me up with a niece when I go to visit.

I'm nearly 40 years old, and she'll be 19 next month.

The problem is that I've never been on a date, never been kissed, never had a girlfriend, and never had sex in my life; so as you can tell I have absolutely no idea what to do!
Michael
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I started dating later in life as well. It had a bit of a learning curve, but this stuff can be learnt just like anything else.

It's usually better to see what's available before you commit though. Guys generally increase in value as they age.

Just start learning all you can about Asia, and start chatting to girls on dating sites. Chat to enough and you'll easily work out which type of woman you're talking to - there are only around 7 different types.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

mlauzon wrote:So, one of my friends wants to set me up with a niece when I go to visit.

The problem is that I've never been on a date, never been kissed, never had a girlfriend, and never had sex in my life; so as you can tell I have absolutely no idea what to do!
Filipinas are the complete opposite of Canadian women so your lack of experience won't be a problem. Just take her out to eat(Greenwich Pizza or BBQ) somewhere and then go for a walk by the ocean and she'll be as happy as a pig in mud. Its socially acceptable to walk up to any woman in the Philippines and ask her if she has a boyfriend in case your blind date doesn't work out.

Also, most pension houses(cheap hotel) cost about $30 to $40 a night, this is probably the cheapest route for accommodations.
mlauzon
Freshman Poster

Post by mlauzon »

xiongmao wrote:I started dating later in life as well. It had a bit of a learning curve, but this stuff can be learnt just like anything else.

It's usually better to see what's available before you commit though. Guys generally increase in value as they age.

Just start learning all you can about Asia, and start chatting to girls on dating sites. Chat to enough and you'll easily work out which type of woman you're talking to - there are only around 7 different types.
It's not about dating later in life, I've been trying to get a first date for nearly 30 years -- and have been using dating sites for almost 20 of those years -- and I am constantly being turned down.
Michael
mlauzon
Freshman Poster

Post by mlauzon »

Taco wrote:
mlauzon wrote:So, one of my friends wants to set me up with a niece when I go to visit.

Filipinas are the complete opposite of Canadian women so your lack of experience won't be a problem. Just take her out to eat(Greenwich Pizza or BBQ) somewhere and then go for a walk by the ocean and she'll be as happy as a pig in mud. Its socially acceptable to walk up to any woman in the Philippines and ask her if she has a boyfriend in case your blind date doesn't work out.

Also, most pension houses(cheap hotel) cost about $30 to $40 a night, this is probably the cheapest route for accommodations.

How would you know how Canadian women are?

Also, I don't want a hotel, I want my own privacy, hence why I'm looking for an apartment to rent for a month.
Michael
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

mlauzon wrote:
Taco wrote:

Also, I don't want a hotel, I want my own privacy, hence why I'm looking for an apartment to rent for a month.
I'm from Alberta. You can rent an unfurnished apartment in Cebu for $150 to $250 a month I don't know what a furnished apartment in Manilla goes for.

You can try browsing this site for a furnished apartment.

Sulit Classifieds
http://www.sulit.com.ph/
mlauzon
Freshman Poster

Post by mlauzon »

Taco wrote:
mlauzon wrote:
Taco wrote:

I'm from Alberta. You can rent an unfurnished apartment in Cebu for $150 to $250 a month I don't know what a furnished apartment in Manilla goes for.

You can try browsing this site for a furnished apartment.

Sulit Classifieds
http://www.sulit.com.ph/
Found the following site, seems a lot better than the one you linked to, any suggestions on the small search I performed just to test it:

http://www.ayosdito.ph/li?fs=1&ca=5_s&t ... &se=&frn=1
Michael