Getting Work In The Philippines?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
mlauzon
Freshman Poster

Getting Work In The Philippines?

Post by mlauzon »

I am just curious at this point. I've looked up some stuff, but the majority shows they want you to have some sort of degree. Is that 100% accurate? I ask, because I've got 20 years customer service experience in various fields, but have never gone to college/university -- the bane of being poor -- in my life, except for a vocational college course that was co-sponsored by the federal government, the same government that lost all the documentation about the course a year later....

What are my chances of trying to get work on my experience alone, if I wanted to work there?
Michael

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

It's damn hard for a foreigner to get work in the Philippines. Even Ladislav couldn't pull it off. You should PM him for advice.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Well you might be able to get hired on with a local call center if you graduated from a credible Canadian/American high school and have your degree and records. They do prefer college graduates or at least 2 years or college. However, they may make an exception if they feel they need your skill set. However, even if you do get hired you will only get paid whatever the employees make at the company. There is a law where foreigners cannot get paid more for the same job a local gets paid to do if they are working in the same company together. Also, you have to consider the work visa issue since most companies will want to stay legal they may or may not sponsor your work visa and if they do it will probably come out of your pay or you will have to pay them in advance to do so. A proper work visa will probably run around 100k pesos give or take for one or two years, not sure how long they run now.

Call center agents in MNL make between 20k-30k pesos a month (5-10k less in smaller cities), maybe more depending on the company and your skill set. If you can somehow get them to hire you on as a trainer then maybe you can make between 30-50k pesos a month but if you don't have a college degree then they may not hire you for that one. You might want to get a fake degree made up since they probably won't personally check with an American/Canadian university for verification.

BTW, I did help Ladislav get work in PI but he found a better job offer in the states so he took up that as the pay was way more than what he could make staying in PI.

**I cannot help anyone get a job in PI, that boat has long sailed off into the horizon. I am only offering generalized advice. I've tried advising individuals about this in the past and they either ignore me or they are all talk and no action so I do not do this anymore so don't ask me please**
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

If you want to live in the Philippines the more logical path is to make money in Canada and move/vacation in PI.
mlauzon
Freshman Poster

Post by mlauzon »

I've only had a handful of jobs over the years since my first summer job in '94. I came back to Toronto just over 5 years -- late August of 2008 --ago from Halifax and I haven't been able to get a job except for a brief summer job during the CNE every year since 2009. I've had 3 jobs interviews since coming back here, none of which got me a job....
Michael
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Mr S wrote:BTW, I did help Ladislav get work in PI but he found a better job offer in the states so he took up that as the pay was way more than what he could make staying in PI.
Still, it's sad that he has to live in Ohio instead of Cebu. He's like a guy who had a near-death experience, got a glimpse of Heaven, and was then told that he had to go back :(
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Hero wrote:
Mr S wrote:BTW, I did help Ladislav get work in PI but he found a better job offer in the states so he took up that as the pay was way more than what he could make staying in PI.
Still, it's sad that he has to live in Ohio instead of Cebu. He's like a guy who had a near-death experience, got a glimpse of Heaven, and was then told that he had to go back :(
Heaven is not a good analogy. Disneyworld, perhaps. PI is a nice place to visit but it takes a special kind of person to live there long term. I have read many blogs about living in PI. None of them liken it to heaven.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

NOT TRUE....Its very easy to get a job in Philippines, if you are willing to negotiate ...and settle around 40 to 80K pesos.......

I'm from India and there are 100s of US based Customer Care companies who are looking to fill jobs everyday...One of my friend from India just got a job last month who is a monger as well..

Google JobsDB Philippines and start applying...BUT you need to be in Manila....100s of call center companies looking for American Accent guys...YOU JUST NEED TO TRY IT OUT...

In 2-3 months of applying...Its guaranteed you will get a job......Philippines Call Center is the NUMBER 1 in the world and over took India 3 years back and they need to fill over 400,000 jobs in coming years as they target to achieve 25 billion annual revenues.

Did you know Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase Plans to shift over 25% of its workforce to Philippines in coming years...Just Google.....No worries about visa etc..They will arrange it..important point is you need to settle down for low salary scale but it would be higher for PH standard and willing to work sometime in night shift. Thats it....Philippines is Booming....Just try it out for three months and you will get it..good luck
terminator
Junior Poster

Post by terminator »

Get a job making robot women!
viewtopic.php?t=22291
andresvivar
Freshman Poster

Post by andresvivar »

Well, I'm really interested about this. Maybe next year I'm moving from my country, Chile. I want to try something new abroad and my goals are Australia and Canada but would not be bad idea moving to Philippines. :mrgreen:

I guess I have a chance because I'm a computer engineer with three years of experience working. :D