Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

“I was a God in The Philippinesâ€￾ – No You Weren't Here's Why

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby hammanta » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:15 pm

@mguy

Just curious what class you would put my present girl in. She was born poor (her words not mine).

-graduated from a top Mindinao University in IT
-provides for her family, pays bills, etc. (had a parent die)
-online mobile app marketer, averages about 1k-2k USD a month but does earn a lot more sometimes
-paid for majority of my meals and outings
-Possessions: Xbox one, Mac Book Pro, Iphone 5, Big screen T.V., several dogs (Labs which she breeds), saving to buy a New Car
- Plans to come fly to states to visit me (I'm not paying any plane tickets)
-English is best I've heard in Philippines!!!!

But she is also quite modest, dresses simple, and works from home all day. Wants to travel but hasn't. Doesn't party and has a tight close group of friends. She never thought she'd ever do online dating, but because of her working from home she thought it would broaden her horizons and allow her to meet people.

I think she is closer to upper-middle as this month she made 15k USD!!! Way more than I can imagine but that isn't a typical month. She is also investing in a mango and rice farm for her father. Being in Mindinao I must believe she could be a decently high end girl. What do you think?
hammanta
Junior Poster

Postby davewe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:04 am

hammanta wrote:@mguy

Just curious what class you would put my present girl in. She was born poor (her words not mine).

-online mobile app marketer, averages about 1k-2k USD a month but does earn a lot more sometimes
-Possessions: Xbox one, Mac Book Pro, Iphone 5, Big screen T.V., several dogs (Labs which she breeds), saving to buy a New Car

But she is also quite modest, dresses simple, and works from home all day. Wants to travel but hasn't. Doesn't party and has a tight close group of friends. She never thought she'd ever do online dating, but because of her working from home she thought it would broaden her horizons and allow her to meet people.

I think she is closer to upper-middle as this month she made 15k USD!!! Way more than I can imagine but that isn't a typical month. She is also investing in a mango and rice farm for her father. Being in Mindinao I must believe she could be a decently high end girl. What do you think?

I can't comment on the notion that a Mindanao girl makes 15k a month (or even 2k a month). But what is the most unlikely is: "Plans to come fly to states to visit me (I'm not paying any plane tickets)." A tourist visa is almost impossible from the Philippines to the US, or at least takes a very very long time to get. Girls get to the US either via fiancé visa or spousal visa. Even the backlog for family members trying to get a visa is enormous.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Postby hammanta » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:55 pm

^^^ Not always the case. I've known several filipina/os personally whom have gotten tourists visas somewhat timely due to work. I'm not expecting her to fly right away either, maybe in a years time. Plus she works with a Singaporean based firm that deals mostly with US based companies. Shouldn't be that difficult for her boss to pull some strings. And yes 15k USD is possible in the field she works in. She showed me her monthly earning status report her boss e-mailed to her. That is quite unusual for her. Like I said, she averages around $1500 a month.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Postby Enticer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi guys...

I am growing closer to a lovely Filipina. I will be visiting her in Feb and if that goes well, i'd like to bring her here in may/june of next year to visit. Is it not easy for her to get a passport to visit here for 2 weeks?

My idea was that if she came here and the 2-3 week period went well....we'd run off and get married. But from what I a just read in the above post..she may not be able to travel, unless she has a fiance' visa? Please explain...thanks!
Enticer
Freshman Poster

Postby davewe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Enticer wrote:Hi guys...

I am growing closer to a lovely Filipina. I will be visiting her in Feb and if that goes well, i'd like to bring her here in may/june of next year to visit. Is it not easy for her to get a passport to visit here for 2 weeks?

My idea was that if she came here and the 2-3 week period went well....we'd run off and get married. But from what I a just read in the above post..she may not be able to travel, unless she has a fiance' visa? Please explain...thanks!

While anyone can apply for a tourist visa, the reality is that from any 3rd world country it is very hard to get - and for good reasons. The US worries about people coming here on a tourist Visa and just disappearing.

That being said there are always exceptions. People politically connected may get a Visa. Someone with very strong business ties may get a visa; if you're an Aquino I am guessing you can get a visa. The person applying for a visa must PROVE that they have strong enough ties to their home country that they will return. That might mean kids/family that they will return to, own a real business (not a sari sari store :)), have significant financial assets in their home country, etc. The burden of proof is on the applicant to prove that he/she will return.

If you talk to guys who go through the legitimate fiancé or spousal visa process, they will tell you that it is a bear! It's costly, time consuming, requires tons of documentation, and then you are grilled by the US embassy and the Philippines CFO. Let's not even talk about the 2 day medical examination! Many legitimate couples are not able to successfully get a visa.

For example right now if you are a Filipino with a Green card or even citizenship and want to get your brother/sister a visa to come to the US, there is a waiting list. The current wait time? 24 years!!!

As Americans we are a bit spoiled. Our passport gets us just about anywhere. But not so for a Filipino. Everyone would love to simply have their gf come visit them for a few weeks. It ain't that easy. That's why ultimately most guys have to make the decision to either marry their gfs in the Philippines and then begin the spousal visa process or bring their fiancé to the US to marry here. Having gone through the process last year I can say it is worth it - but easy it is not.

For more information, go to Visa Journey, probably the best website and forum in existence on the Visa process.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Postby davewe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:49 pm

hammanta wrote:^^^ Not always the case. I've known several filipina/os personally whom have gotten tourists visas somewhat timely due to work. I'm not expecting her to fly right away either, maybe in a years time. Plus she works with a Singaporean based firm that deals mostly with US based companies. Shouldn't be that difficult for her boss to pull some strings. And yes 15k USD is possible in the field she works in. She showed me her monthly earning status report her boss e-mailed to her. That is quite unusual for her. Like I said, she averages around $1500 a month.

I wish you good luck with her. She may be an exception but understand it would be a huge exception. IMO this is one of the problems with guys on HA who focus on middle class/upper class girls.

Reality check - average salaries in PI:

Nurses - $400-500/month. If she is paid. Many nurses are unemployed or work at hospitals for free in order to get experience.
Office administrator - $400 - 500
Call center operators - $400 - 500/month.
Doctors - A well established doctor might earn $1000-2000/month, though it could be a lot less.
Airline Pilot - $2000-2500/month. OK, so a pilot might have a good gig.

Of course there are always exceptions on the high or low side. And the difference between wages (and costs) in Manila or Cebu and a small city/province are large.

The flip side of this is that a girl can make $500/month in a call center and live an OK life. $500/month in the US? Not so good :)

My prime point is you ought to be careful. There are many wonderful girls in PI and she may be one of them. But I'd also say that judging someone in a 3rd world country based on 1st world values (how much cash do you make) has it's own set of risks.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Postby hammanta » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:55 pm

davewe wrote:
hammanta wrote:^^^ Not always the case. I've known several filipina/os personally whom have gotten tourists visas somewhat timely due to work. I'm not expecting her to fly right away either, maybe in a years time. Plus she works with a Singaporean based firm that deals mostly with US based companies. Shouldn't be that difficult for her boss to pull some strings. And yes 15k USD is possible in the field she works in. She showed me her monthly earning status report her boss e-mailed to her. That is quite unusual for her. Like I said, she averages around $1500 a month.

I wish you good luck with her. She may be an exception but understand it would be a huge exception. IMO this is one of the problems with guys on HA who focus on middle class/upper class girls.

Reality check - average salaries in PI:

Nurses - $400-500/month. If she is paid. Many nurses are unemployed or work at hospitals for free in order to get experience.
Office administrator - $400 - 500
Call center operators - $400 - 500/month.
Doctors - A well established doctor might earn $1000-2000/month, though it could be a lot less.
Airline Pilot - $2000-2500/month. OK, so a pilot might have a good gig.

Of course there are always exceptions on the high or low side. And the difference between wages (and costs) in Manila or Cebu and a small city/province are large.

The flip side of this is that a girl can make $500/month in a call center and live an OK life. $500/month in the US? Not so good :)

My prime point is you ought to be careful. There are many wonderful girls in PI and she may be one of them. But I'd also say that judging someone in a 3rd world country based on 1st world values (how much cash do you make) has it's own set of risks.

I appreciate the caution and the information. Not trying to come off as a "know it all," but I have pretty decent knowledge (as well as experience) of the Philippines, its people and culture. I understand there are risks involved but I'm also not naive either. I am a rather young guy, 24, and never came to the Philippines originally to find a wife or girlfriend. I was visiting people I met on my other trip as well as exploring and thought I'd give online dating a chance. Good way to meet the locals and experience the culture. I was very cautious and this girl caught my eye. We have a lot in common and get along great. She has never hinted about money and has frowned upon it, mentioning how bad it is that filipinas do that. She was also embarrassed to be online and thought of it as a last resort because she doesn't go out much do to her job. Her age expectations on the site were 23-35, she is 24. I met her in person and she payed for me practically every time we went out, despite my objections. I' m not ready for marriage and neither is she, right now we are just simply seeing how it works, and then maybe something larger can occur in future years (I plan on moving overseas once I finish my grad degree). But I'm not desperate like I feel a lot of men on here are. I just don't wanna settle for some rural American girl. I think there are gems out there to be found so why not give it a shot.

I am well aware of the salaries but her job is not a traditional salary based position. She earns commission from a firm that hires people from all around the world. And money means nothing to me as long as she is educated and can provide for herself. I was simply interested in mguy's opinion of class here.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Postby Enticer » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:04 am

On a related topic. Does a man living in the US wanting to marry a Filipina, have to show a certain amount of income in order for her to get a Visa?

I am self employed and dont show much. I'm wondering if this will be a hang up in the future....
Enticer
Freshman Poster

Postby davewe » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Enticer wrote:On a related topic. Does a man living in the US wanting to marry a Filipina, have to show a certain amount of income in order for her to get a Visa?

I am self employed and dont show much. I'm wondering if this will be a hang up in the future....

Unfortunately yes. You must demonstrate an income of 125% of the poverty level. While that isn't much, I do know several self-employed guys for whom it was a problem, since their tax returns did not represent what they actually made.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Postby Enticer » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Ok...so 125% of the poverty level to get a Finance' Visa? What if you marry her in her country...is it then bypassed or over looked?

I wonder what the poverty level is in the US? 15K?

Thanks for that website...it is a great resource!
Enticer
Freshman Poster

Postby davewe » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:37 pm

Enticer wrote:Ok...so 125% of the poverty level to get a Finance' Visa? What if you marry her in her country...is it then bypassed or over looked?

I wonder what the poverty level is in the US? 15K?

Thanks for that website...it is a great resource!

Nope it is not overlooked. What the government is fundamentally interested in is that you (the sponsor) guarantee that you will support her and that she will not end up on public assistance. If she does, the US Govt. can and will go after you to reimburse them. Here's a site with the poverty line and 125% figures:

http://www.immihelp.com/affidavit-of-su ... lines.html
davewe
Experienced Poster

Postby Enticer » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:23 pm

Got it....thnaks!
Enticer
Freshman Poster

Postby mguy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:25 pm

hammanta wrote:@mguy

Here's the deal. Mindanao girls are desperately trying to leave mindanao for Manila. Serious, if she were any decent middle-class chick she would have landed at least in a cebu university.

Mindanao = Poor girl.

Unless she owns a mango farm, or her dad is in the army or in local politics. I would not live in Mindanao if you paid me a million dollars. Did you get that? I WOULD NOT LIVE IN THE SHIT PLACE THEY CALL MINDANAO IF THEY PAID ME A MILLION FCKING DOLLARS!!!!!! Yes, bro, skip that and just head over to a cebuana.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mguy
Junior Poster

Postby mguy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Btw there's a big ass jump that goes from middle-class to upper-class.

Upper-class are landed bitches. This means they usually have networth in the $1M range. They basically do not have to work a single day of their lives.

Would you find an uppermiddle class girl in an online dating?????

The odds of that would be somewhere in 1 to a billion. Uppermiddle class is a closed strata. To date these girls is to be rich yourself or have access to the local network. Most guys in this forum are dating poor girls or middle girls at least. I would suggest to find yourself a middle class chick.

The poor girls usually become bar girls.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mguy
Junior Poster

Postby Billy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:08 pm

mguy, though some guys like it there, maybe because the girls are desperate.
Billy
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand