Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Cambodia sucks now

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Cambodia sucks now

Postby Cornfed » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:10 am

10 years ago, I lived for six months in Cambodia. There I made an average of $9.50 per teaching hour, with an expectation that I would do many more hours preparing, marking etc. Now people are doing the same thing, except that they are making the same dollar amount for worse working conditions and for worse pay, since the cost of living is twice what it was when I was there, but to reiterate, they are getting the same pay. If you are broke, then for Christ's sake, don't go to Cambodia.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:18 am

Appreciated info!

If you were young and broke, with a college degree but no other credentials, where would you go to teach English?
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Cornfed » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:26 am

Jester wrote:Appreciated info!

If you were young and broke, with a college degree but no other credentials, where would you go to teach English?

Well, unless you have got somewhere to go to by your family connections, by default it has to be China.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:02 am

Cornfed wrote:

Well, unless you have got somewhere to go to by your family connections, by default it has to be China.

You would pick China over Korea?
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Cornfed » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:13 am

Jester wrote:You would pick China over Korea?

If you are a single, blonde, attractive, tall, young, big titted female, North American and speak with a standard accent then Korea would be good. For most of us, China would be a better deal.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Rock » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:55 am

Jester wrote:
Cornfed wrote:

You would pick China over Korea?

If you want to maximize savings, Taipei is probably better than most of China. And it's a lot easier to live in to. Trust me. But you need to have a 4 year university degree in some field to be able to work.

Korea sucks cus of how xenophobic they are, the necessity to sing long term contracts, higher cost of living, and horrible winter weather. And you can save more in Taipei too.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Rock wrote:If you want to maximize savings, Taipei is probably better than most of China. And it's a lot easier to live in to. Trust me. But you need to have a 4 year university degree in some field to be able to work.
Korea sucks cus of how xenophobic they are, the necessity to sing long term contracts, higher cost of living, and horrible winter weather. And you can save more in Taipei too.

Do you by chance know what the difference in pay (for English teachers) is between Urban vs Rural in TW?
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Rock » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:23 pm

momopi wrote:
Rock wrote:If you want to maximize savings, Taipei is probably better than most of China. And it's a lot easier to live in to. Trust me. But you need to have a 4 year university degree in some field to be able to work.

Do you by chance know what the difference in pay (for English teachers) is between Urban vs Rural in TW?

No, but I suspect it's not so different. It's just that in rural areas, full-time work at one school might be harder to come by. And if you have to travel around, it might require a lot of transport time. I had 2 tenants last year (white guy and HK Brit girl couple) who came and stayed with me for one month. Within 10 days, both had secured full-time positions at private English schools for children for 5 days a week and NT$70,000 a month plus benefits. We calculated that they could each save NT$40,000 a month just on that and if they got ambitious, could teach on weekends as well and make significantly more. In fact, the guy had great drum skills and was thinking of teaching drumming on the weekends which can pay quite well. They can find a centrally located Taofang to stay in together for about NT$12,000 a month including utilities and food plus transport are very easy and cheap in Taipei. I used to go all the way to Hsinchuang from Taipei on a bus for like NT$30 door to door.

Winston and I did meet some English teachers in Chiayi one time. I think they were making slightly less. But living there would be utter Hell. Rural Taiwan is really so lame and boring. If you like natural wonders, then there is some stuff on east coast. But once you factor everything in, you save more money in Taipei and keep your sanity. One of the teachers there was telling me about how country people in Chiayi area are and that someone like Winston (or the HK British girl) would have a hard time getting hired, especially at similar pay. But in Taipei, most parents realize that an 1 Gen or ABC speaks English just like a white American.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Rock wrote:Winston and I did meet some English teachers in Chiayi one time. I think they were making slightly less. But living there would be utter Hell. Rural Taiwan is really so lame and boring. If you like natural wonders, then there is some stuff on east coast. But once you factor everything in, you save more money in Taipei and keep your sanity. One of the teachers there was telling me about how country people in Chiayi area are and that someone like Winston (or the HK British girl) would have a hard time getting hired, especially at similar pay. But in Taipei, most parents realize that an 1 Gen or ABC speaks English just like a white American.

I'm from rural Changhua and whenever we wanted to hit the town for shopping or food, we took a ride to Taichung. hehehehe.

If I were to live in Taiwan again, I'd prolly choose Yilan. More open space, less smog, better fishing, cheaper houses w/yard. IMO if someone wanted to teach English in TW and can secure a job in Yilan, the rent and cost of living is far lower than Taipei, and it's close enough for a day trip to Taipei. I think about 1 hour by bus?
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Rock » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:26 am

momopi wrote:
Rock wrote:Winston and I did meet some English teachers in Chiayi one time. I think they were making slightly less. But living there would be utter Hell. Rural Taiwan is really so lame and boring. If you like natural wonders, then there is some stuff on east coast. But once you factor everything in, you save more money in Taipei and keep your sanity. One of the teachers there was telling me about how country people in Chiayi area are and that someone like Winston (or the HK British girl) would have a hard time getting hired, especially at similar pay. But in Taipei, most parents realize that an 1 Gen or ABC speaks English just like a white American.

I'm from rural Changhua and whenever we wanted to hit the town for shopping or food, we took a ride to Taichung. hehehehe.

If I were to live in Taiwan again, I'd prolly choose Yilan. More open space, less smog, better fishing, cheaper houses w/yard. IMO if someone wanted to teach English in TW and can secure a job in Yilan, the rent and cost of living is far lower than Taipei, and it's close enough for a day trip to Taipei. I think about 1 hour by bus?

But what besides rent is cheaper? And besides, even rents in Taipei are quite modest if you shop a bit. Girls can get 5,000-8,000 all-in Taofang right in the city. Getting around in rural areas can be challenging. Motorcycles suck when it's rainy and/or cold. If you ever have to take a taxi, it's gonna be a lot more expensive in the countryside. There's less in the way of food choices and things close early. In Taipei, you can find lots of options for cheap eats (exotic local to quasi western) open late. You can go to university areas and get a hair-cut in a modern place for 120. I don't sense that grocery stores are any cheaper in rural areas than the best values in Taipei. And Taipei has Costco and other bulk shopping options near mass transportation if you wanna save more by buying in bulk.

You know I think rural areas being cheaper is partially a myth. Sure, it's a lot cheaper to buy property in the sticks. But if you are just renting, the overall cost of living difference may get offset by advantages of city. It's not just Taiwan either. For example, I found Kingston, the capital of Jamaica had much cheaper and better value for money options for accommodation than about anywhere else on the island. Ditto for better food. I've found this true in a number of countries.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Rock wrote:But what besides rent is cheaper? And besides, even rents in Taipei are quite modest if you shop a bit. Girls can get 5,000-8,000 all-in Taofang right in the city. Getting around in rural areas can be challenging. Motorcycles suck when it's rainy and/or cold. If you ever have to take a taxi, it's gonna be a lot more expensive in the countryside. There's less in the way of food choices and things close early. In Taipei, you can find lots of options for cheap eats (exotic local to quasi western) open late. You can go to university areas and get a hair-cut in a modern place for 120. I don't sense that grocery stores are any cheaper in rural areas than the best values in Taipei. And Taipei has Costco and other bulk shopping options near mass transportation if you wanna save more by buying in bulk.
You know I think rural areas being cheaper is partially a myth. Sure, it's a lot cheaper to buy property in the sticks. But if you are just renting, the overall cost of living difference may get offset by advantages of city. It's not just Taiwan either. For example, I found Kingston, the capital of Jamaica had much cheaper and better value for money options for accommodation than about anywhere else on the island. Ditto for better food. I've found this true in a number of countries.

Why I wouldn't want to live in Taipei:

Yilan has much cleaner air, and with more affordable homes with yard, I can grow my own vegetables.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Rock » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:16 pm

momopi wrote:
Rock wrote:But what besides rent is cheaper? And besides, even rents in Taipei are quite modest if you shop a bit. Girls can get 5,000-8,000 all-in Taofang right in the city. Getting around in rural areas can be challenging. Motorcycles suck when it's rainy and/or cold. If you ever have to take a taxi, it's gonna be a lot more expensive in the countryside. There's less in the way of food choices and things close early. In Taipei, you can find lots of options for cheap eats (exotic local to quasi western) open late. You can go to university areas and get a hair-cut in a modern place for 120. I don't sense that grocery stores are any cheaper in rural areas than the best values in Taipei. And Taipei has Costco and other bulk shopping options near mass transportation if you wanna save more by buying in bulk.

Why I wouldn't want to live in Taipei:

Yilan has much cleaner air, and with more affordable homes with yard, I can grow my own vegetables.

No argument there! But the whole 'rural areas are cheaper' stereoype sometimes turns out to be false depending on the country and circumstances. For my particular lifestyle, costs would go up, not down if I moved from Taipei City to the sticks of rural Taiwan.

Don't ever come to Metro Manila. You won't last a day. Air here seems 10 times worse than anything I've ever seen in clean Taipei.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand