(For Falcon) Otoyomegatari Manga

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

(For Falcon) Otoyomegatari Manga

Post by momopi »

This manga might be right up your alley:
http://www.mangawindow.com/manga/otoyomegatari

"Acclaimed creator Kaoru Mori (Emma, Shirley) brings the nineteenth-century Silk Road to lavish life, chronicling the story of Amira Halgal, a young woman from a nomadic tribe betrothed to a twelve-year-old boy eight years her junior. Coping with cultural differences, blossoming feelings for her new husband, and expectations from both her adoptive and birth families, Amira strives to find her role as she settles into a new life and a new home in a society quick to define that role for her."

Click on "all" to view all pages of a chapter at once.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Yes my preference leans towards women who are older than me, sometimes a lot. However this also applies to people in general. I just feel like I am too mature for 95% of people my age, both males and females. Most teenagers / young adults are still forming their identities and values while I feel like I'm already quite developed in my own individuality.

They say one year in a woman's psychological development equals to 1.5-2 years in a man's psychological development, but I guess I could be an exception to the rule. Why do most females around me here in Beijing still behave like little children even in their early and mid twenties? It's all a matter of circumstances and non-conformity vs. conformity.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Oh my God yes, that manga's great! Beautiful art. Really makes me want to study Central Asia and travel there.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Re: (For Falcon) Otoyomegatari Manga

Post by Falcon »

momopi wrote:This manga might be right up your alley:

"Acclaimed creator Kaoru Mori (Emma, Shirley) brings the nineteenth-century Silk Road to lavish life, chronicling the story of Amira Halgal, a young woman from a nomadic tribe betrothed to a twelve-year-old boy eight years her junior. Coping with cultural differences, blossoming feelings for her new husband, and expectations from both her adoptive and birth families, Amira strives to find her role as she settles into a new life and a new home in a society quick to define that role for her."

Thanks so much Momopi!

I'm traveling to many different countries now and am having wonderful adventures. I've taken your advice and decided that being practical and standing up on your feet is what counts, rather than simply talking.

Oh and has Rock, Winston, or some other member been telling you about my adventures? Or maybe you just read my posts and decided to share that manga with me. :)
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I've never read much Manga, but I did wander round the stores in Japan that sold it.

If anyone's into anime (or Manga) my favourite is Elfen Lied. It's set in and around Kamakura, a delightful little seaside resort down the line from Tokyo and Yokohama. Spending 10 yen to go inside the Big Buddha there was great, as was getting into a train carriage full of sailor suited school girls!!!

Wow, I've had so many great adventures in Asia. And Xiongmao and Falcon do Thailand would make a great manga series!!! The episode where Xiongmao discovers the little shack only has one kitten instead of the usual two would be a real tear jerker.

Get out and travel guys!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Bao3niang wrote:Yes my preference leans towards women who are older than me, sometimes a lot. However this also applies to people in general. I just feel like I am too mature for 95% of people my age, both males and females. Most teenagers / young adults are still forming their identities and values while I feel like I'm already quite developed in my own individuality.

They say one year in a woman's psychological development equals to 1.5-2 years in a man's psychological development, but I guess I could be an exception to the rule. Why do most females around me here in Beijing still behave like little children even in their early and mid twenties? It's all a matter of circumstances and non-conformity vs. conformity.

My first 3 GF's were all 1-3 years older than me. But as a I got older I dated younger women.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: (For Falcon) Otoyomegatari Manga

Post by momopi »

Falcon wrote:
momopi wrote:This manga might be right up your alley:

Thanks so much Momopi!
I'm traveling to many different countries now and am having wonderful adventures. I've taken your advice and decided that being practical and standing up on your feet is what counts, rather than simply talking.
Oh and has Rock, Winston, or some other member been telling you about my adventures? Or maybe you just read my posts and decided to share that manga with me. :)

Actually, I think I said "to vote with your feet". But same thing.

The manga is quite interesting as a fantasy story about the specific geographic region. However the practice of marrying older women is definitely not unique. In Manchuria in old days it was not uncommon to marry a boy of 14-15 to a girl of 18-19. My grandmother on dad's side was older than my my grandfather.