Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Philippines Fail Blog

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby publicduende » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:07 am

Will N. Dowd wrote:http://www.wucnews.com/2014/07/asian-seafood-raised-on-pig-feces.html

They're probably talking about industrial production meant for freezing and exporting. The FDA would pass just about anything as food, while banning healthy supplements and remedies. We all know the story...

I very much doubt the shrimps I had in Davao had been farmed that way. I am still alive anyway to tell the story. All the food poisoning and all the hygiene-related infections (including a nasty staph, courtesy of a local gym) I have ever had in my life, I had in the UK.
publicduende
Veteran Poster

Postby Rock » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:42 am

publicduende wrote:
Will N. Dowd wrote:http://www.wucnews.com/2014/07/asian-seafood-raised-on-pig-feces.html

They're probably talking about industrial production meant for freezing and exporting. The FDA would pass just about anything as food, while banning healthy supplements and remedies. We all know the story...

I very much doubt the shrimps I had in Davao had been farmed that way. I am still alive anyway to tell the story. All the food poisoning and all the hygiene-related infections (including a nasty staph, courtesy of a local gym) I have ever had in my life, I had in the UK.

How many weeks or months of your life have you spent here in Asia vs. how many weeks or months of your life have you spent in UK? If you are just an extended vacationer or fly in a few days once in awhile for business, it's not surprising that you avoided serious illness.

I tend to eat a lot of salads, veggies, fruits, chicken, nuts, coconut and other oils, honey, some pork, and some types of fish. I do supplements and protein powder fruit smoothies too. I tolerate the fish available in Taiwan Thailand or even USA much better than here in Philippines. Part of the problem I have is that whenever they cook anything here, they often create massive amounts of smoke which also makes me sick. And parts of barbequed food here gets over-cooked (black) which I cannot tolerate.

As for seafood, I can only eat regular fish, not shellfish or anything exotic. When I was in Italy, I wouldn't even touch any of the seafood famous in various areas. It repulses me inside and out. It's just the way I am. On the few occasions where I've been forced to try things which don't agree with me out of business/social obligations, I would make a quick follow-up exit to the loo and throw-up.

When I eat what I feel comfortable with both short and long term, my health stays strong. I get thorough physicals and blood tests every year or so and my results are all good. Even my Vitamin D levels are very high and hormone levels all good too.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Philippines Fail Blog

Postby Will N. Dowd » Mon May 16, 2016 5:12 am

The blog is still active and expanding, although forum posts remain very few.

They have quote about Filipino printed in the New York Times on the page from a long dead American that visited during the Philippine-American War:

Nicholas Longworth IV (November 5, 1869 – April 9, 1931) was an American politician in the Republican Party during the first few decades of the 20th century. He served as House Majority Leader from 1923 to 1925 and subsequently as Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 1925 to 1931. Longworth visited the Philippines in 1905, and after his trip reported to the House of Representatives on the “Philippine Tariff Debate”. Some of his observations on the Filipino people during that report are worthy of note.

“I liked the Filipino better when I had read of him than I do now that I have seen him.” He remarked. “I like him better in the abstract than I do in the concrete”.

“I differ with my colleague Gen. Grosvenor, as to the brilliant future before the Philippines and the noble character of the Filipino people. I cannot believe there is any brilliant future for them, and with the exception of their love for family and home I cannot find anything noble in their character. I for one am not in favour of holding the islands a moment longer than we absolutely have to.I am in favour of turning them over to the Philippine nation at the first moment they prove to us that they are capable of governing themselves, and the sooner the better.”

“There are two prime characteristics of the Filipinos” he said, “which today render them absolutely unfit for self-government. The average Filipino mind can form no conception of the duty of officials to the people, and it can form no conception of the dignity of labor. The very fact that the Filipino is so shiftless, so worthless, so untrustworthy, and so helpless is all the more reason this Nation should reach out the helping hand to him.”

http://www.philippinefailblog.com/longworth-on-filipinos-has-anything-changed-since-1906/
Will N. Dowd
Freshman Poster

Previous

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand