Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Rock, Goth or metal culture in SE Asia? What are my odds?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Rock, Goth or metal culture in SE Asia? What are my odds?

Postby lovemehate » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:19 pm

So am looking for my next destination to travel, and possibly teach English!

little about me: 32, male, from Dallas Tx. I would say I look .....Spanish? but light skin so I dont quit fit in where am currently living (Mexico) but am not too "Gringo" to where its that obvious....that's it.

while i dress appropriate for whatever job, or situation? I am all about self expression, I have lots tattoos (can hide them all) . long hair on one side , shaved on the other.

I play in a solo music project (Industrial / EBM / Electro-goth ) and the way I am? my music Is well received in my current location (Toluca, Mexico) but I f***** hate it here (Toluca , Mexico). But that rant is for another day......

So, my question: Is there any part of SE Asia with a rock/goth scene? Should I just leave my music at home? Would I scare the S*** out of them? or would I just look like a dumb ass?

Of course that's not my main reason for traveling, but I rather go places where I can play my music in local bars/clubs/events/shows.

Aside from music am a super laid back, casual person, I in fact hate bars/clubs I hate parties....I am not social at all. Just who I am, and I found in Latin America these girls are too flaky......

my latest tattoos!

lovemehate
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 pm

I've read there's an underground hip hop scene in China. The developed Asian countries are probably your best bets for something like this.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby lovemehate » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:36 pm

As much as I hate hip-hop I can see how a more developed part of Asia could be more accepting.....but am a mess of conjurations! haha

like.....I rather stay away from the bigger cities, mainly cause from what I gathered online, these places tend to have more materialistic type of girls.

Of course this is a just a judgment based off no experience, but makes sense...I am looking for someone like me. Artistic , simple, kind honest and more family-orientated.

I am not, and never will be rich, It's not one of my aspirations in life. Of course I work, and support myself, but that's where it ends.
lovemehate
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:34 am

I forwarded this thread to Rock.

Maybe we can start a thread called "Ask Rock: Q&A" for questions like these.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Rock » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:59 pm

Winston wrote:I forwarded this thread to Rock.

Winston, I think you misunderstood his question. His question was not addressed to me (Rock). Rather, he was referring to rock culture, Goth culture, or metal culture in SE Asia.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Winston » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:26 am

Rock wrote:
Winston wrote:I forwarded this thread to Rock.

Winston, I think you misunderstood his question. His question was not addressed to me (Rock). Rather, he was referring to rock culture, Goth culture, or metal culture in SE Asia.

Oh I see. lol. My bad. I guess that's what you get for having a weird name. lol :P
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Mr S » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:36 am

Rock/metal music in SE Asia isn't that popular, it's completely underground from what I noticed and not mainstream. Here in PI almost every time I ask what music you dislike 9 out of 10 say they hate rock and 'metallic' music, ha ha. (I have to do interviews regularly and this is one of the standard questions.)

If you're a Filipino and like hard rock/metal music you're considered weird from what I notice so only a small niche is into it. You can find some small local bars or bars in tourist areas that may play some rock/metal music but most bands here just play popular pop/dance music that happens to be popular in the present or they play older adult contemporary rock music from the 70's and 80's.

So if you're a metal head in SE Asia it kinda sucks I think. NE Asians may be more into harder rock/metal music, especially Japan.

I'm a rock/metal head stuck in the Philippines, I would know if there was a scene here and there isn't. :evil:

The whole Bible banging hardcore protestant and Catholics here plus the whacko Muslims in the other countries see that evil rock music doesn't become too mainstream with the youth.

The only place in PI that has a dedicated heavy metal/rock/alternative band playing regularly is a biker bar on the beach in Subic bay area on Barrio Barretto. There is also a bar in Baguio that plays rock and metal music too but the bands are mix of different music and sometimes they aren't rock. Most bars in PI will not be a dedicated rock bar but will allow other acts to perform so it's hit or miss regarding real rock or metal bands, but they do exist just not very popular mainstream.

One thing that's good about PI is foreigners can play in bands locally without major issues whereas other Asian countries won't allow foreigners to do that so make sure you research whether you as a foreigner would be allowed to play in public bands or not.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Postby Bstyle » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:51 am

I have to be blunt here. You will never get hired to teach English anywhere in Asia with your hair style.

As for a goth and metal scene, I know there's a small underground scene like that in Thailand. I've lived in Thailand China and the Philippines and I hear almost no goth or metal. Besides their own local music they're only into mainstream American music and for some reason in the Philippines Korean pop was popular.

Most women in SE Asia will look down on you and consider you immature. Showing signs of individuality is generally frowned upon in most of Asia. I'm sure you would be able to attract a scammer but don't expect much more than that.

Asian women are very flaky too, more so than American women in my experience. So don't expect much better in that department.

I hear Japan has a pretty big alternative rock and metal scene. Maybe that would be your best bet.
Bstyle
Freshman Poster

Postby Mr S » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:46 pm

You can teach English with long hair but it would have to be normal looking and not crazy style like half shaved and half long, that's a bit extreme even for my tastes and I'm pretty open minded. Having lots of tats is frowned upon as well, you would have to hide them pretty good and not show them off during off hours cause some schools might decide to get rid of you if you create too much of a spectacle.

The type of Asians you would attract are the rebel kind, free spirited, independent type. These are rare in Asia but they do exist since I've met them but you gotta live here long term to find them. You'll also get hit on by gays a lot, especially if you're considered handsome.

I had hair down almost to my ass and I had no problem teaching in Asia, I just had issues mostly with gays and teen girls thinking I'm cool but obviously you can't do much with them.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Postby WorldTraveler » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:38 pm

You are much better off in Thailand than Philippines. There are many tourist there with tattoos. Some of the locals have them too. You can also hear hard rock and metal.
WorldTraveler
Junior Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand