Almost scammed by Manila airport worker and almost kidnapped

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Almost scammed by Manila airport worker and almost kidnapped

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

I was entering the manila airport and a worker comes up to me at the airport and i said i want to go to the other terminal and he was like thats 10 us dollars which i knew was a scam why is he asking in us dollars. I can't believe a worker was trying to scam me but ive had airport workers before try to hustle various things or ask me questions like they wanted to hit me up. Am I the only one to get this? Im always in a rush and I never understand them that well.

Anyways I said i wanted white taxi, cause my first time ever i took airport taxi 2 years ago and the guy had a bad meter or something and it was like 400 should ahve been like 200 or less. Anyways he said it was unsafe but i been up there before its still on the edge of the airport. I got scammed one other time on the white taxi 2 years ago also when i forgot to tell the guy to put a meter on and he asked for a flat rate but i was upset about a previous white taxi before him trying to con me out of 900.

Anyways so im approaching the white taxi and a guy comes up to me and says taxi and I say meter and he says yeah he leads me to his car and there is a driver in there as im getting in the back the 2nd guy gets in the passenger seat next to driver and talks to him and stays in there! I started getting out before i closed the door cause i was wondering why he was getting in and as i was starting to get out he jumped out and tried to close the door on me. I freaked out and cussed him as i was walking away. there was a security guard nearby but he didnt seem to care or notice me. Ive heard that white taxis are dangerous in manila and that yous hould even knock on teh trunk. Anyways i took a airport taxi after that the guy was very professional and nice. Definitely will avoid white taxis in manila.

oh yeah and as luck would have it earlier in the day the cebu taxi i picked up at my hotel asked for an extra 50 while we were already starting to drive off cause it was airport and i had to jump out at the mall cause i didn't want a scene at the airport. Ive noticed cebu taxis are now starting to suddenly ask for extra money they were never like this before but now many are trying to come up with little gimmicks.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

That wasn't a real airport worker. That was just a guy who makes commissions by getting you taxis.

The taxis at the airport in Manila are a ripoff. They charge extra and hustle you outside. Sometimes they are aggressive and annoying. They try to hypnotize you it seems.

There is a trick to this. Go upstairs to the arrival platform, where taxis are dropping people off. Those taxis will take you at the meter rate. That's a well known loophole. I've done it many times.

Try to get into taxi cars that look newer, not the older ones. And don't pick the drivers that look kind of shady, like they drink, smoke and gamble a lot. Pick the ones that look clean cut and humble and have more of an innocent smile. Those ones never scam you in my experience. The cab drivers that scammed me tended to look weird in some way. They were never clean cut and never had a pleasant smile.

Even if you do get scammed, and they do not follow the meter, but ask for more, you can always bargain and negotiate lower. So if they overcharge you by 500 pesos, you can get it down to 200 pesos by arguing and debating them. They will usually compromise.

Yeah a lot of cab drivers now want an extra 50 pesos. It's only one dollar extra. Just give to them. Sheesh. Did you know that they have to pay a huge fee to rent the cab from the company and often have to work 16 hours just to earn a little profit? Otherwise, they will either lose money or break even, which means they worked for free.

So show some sympathy man and be nice. In the Philippines, niceness usually begets niceness in return.

Just be glad that you aren't taking cabs in the US, which are a total ripoff.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Winston wrote:That wasn't a real airport worker. That was just a guy who makes commissions by getting you taxis.

The taxis at the airport in Manila are a ripoff. They charge extra and hustle you outside. Sometimes they are aggressive and annoying. They try to hypnotize you it seems.

There is a trick to this. Go upstairs to the arrival platform, where taxis are dropping people off. Those taxis will take you at the meter rate. That's a well known loophole. I've done it many times.

Try to get into taxi cars that look newer, not the older ones. And don't pick the drivers that look kind of shady, like they drink, smoke and gamble a lot. Pick the ones that look clean cut and humble and have more of an innocent smile. Those ones never scam you in my experience. The cab drivers that scammed me tended to look weird in some way. They were never clean cut and never had a pleasant smile.

Even if you do get scammed, and they do not follow the meter, but ask for more, you can always bargain and negotiate lower. So if they overcharge you by 500 pesos, you can get it down to 200 pesos by arguing and debating them. They will usually compromise.

Yeah a lot of cab drivers now want an extra 50 pesos. It's only one dollar extra. Just give to them. Sheesh. Did you know that they have to pay a huge fee to rent the cab from the company and often have to work 16 hours just to earn a little profit? Otherwise, they will either lose money or break even, which means they worked for free.

So show some sympathy man and be nice. In the Philippines, niceness usually begets niceness in return.

Just be glad that you aren't taking cabs in the US, which are a total ripoff.

Thats what I did I went upstairs to get a white taxi like I always did and thats when i had the bad experience. Ill stick with airport taxis the airport taxi i had was professional and nice. I dont trust the sleazy white taxis in manila ever again.

Hmm so all those guys wearing nametags on a string necklace are not workers? he had a tag like the airport worker and he wasn't near the taxi line he was on the walkway area where the taxis are but you have to walk across the street on the other side to get a airport taxi. Ive seen those guys before on other parts of the airport so im assuming they work for the airport?

I dont like the way the they suddenly ask for money after you get in the car. In cebu they are starting to do that they never used to you are used to manila taxis where they have all kinds of scams but now cebu seems to be doing it.

what do you think that guy was trying to pull getting in the car? Rob me somewhere?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Manila Airport is terrible, it's not only about taxi, even if you go to the restroom inside the international restricted area, still airport workers are asking you for tips otherwise there will be no soap, no toilet paper and even no water.

It is true, taxi drivers have to pay daily a certain sum of money for the owner of the taxi company, it is not their own car.

Let me also add, that not all Philippines is like Manila Airport, and not all taxi drivers in all Philippines behave like in Manila.

In Cebu Airport you will not cheated, somebody will show up and will carry your luggage to a counter, they will give you a paper with the car number, give them a little tip, and believe it or not, taxi meter is working from Mactan Airport to Mandaue City, php 260.

Some taxi are in bad condition, but taxi drivers are honest in Cebu, last time they charged me - without meter and without bargain - php 400 up to Cebu Fuente Osmena Circle. This is fair, during rain, evening already dark and starting from Airport.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Yohan wrote:Manila Airport is terrible, it's not only about taxi, even if you go to the restroom inside the international restricted area, still airport workers are asking you for tips otherwise there will be no soap, no toilet paper and even no water.

It is true, taxi drivers have to pay daily a certain sum of money for the owner of the taxi company, it is not their own car.

Let me also add, that not all Philippines is like Manila Airport, and not all taxi drivers in all Philippines behave like in Manila.

In Cebu Airport you will not cheated, somebody will show up and will carry your luggage to a counter, they will give you a paper with the car number, give them a little tip, and believe it or not, taxi meter is working from Mactan Airport to Mandaue City, php 260.

Some taxi are in bad condition, but taxi drivers are honest in Cebu, last time they charged me - without meter and without bargain - php 400 up to Cebu Fuente Osmena Circle. This is fair, during rain, evening already dark and starting from Airport.
why would you agree to no meter thats a scam rain or no rain. I only agree to no meter if its a scary area and im waiting around and there is no taxis easily. Its only 250 to fuente from airport. They should have their meter on from airport. Sometimes in bad rain if you go somewhere there is no taxis they might not let you in with just the meter price but at airport there should be a line in cebu airport so they should get the meter on. If they dont have the meter on its a scam.

cebu taxi guys are changing attitudes now. I noticed it constantly wanting to charge extra for drive thru or pickup or even airport, and some at certain hours are turning off the meters for trips in middle of night. They never used to do that.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

There are a lot of foreigners moving to Cebu now so with that comes the riff raff and overcharges as seen in Manila tourist areas. I haven't noticed it yet but they probably size up the customer before they attempt to scam them so if you look like a push over they will attempt it.

I almost never give extra money to taxis unless there is no other option. If you give them extra all the time this is how they stop using the meter and start being assholes. You can't compare taxi rate in Western countries with PI. Doesn't matter how much they pay for the car and hours worked, they chose to be a taxi driver. If they don't like it they can do some other job like drive a jeep or something.

There are four kinds of taxis at the airports:
First option is you can go upstairs and try your luck getting a taxi dropping off a passenger and pay a regular meter, but from my experience you usually have to wait a while and fight other Filipinos trying to do the same thing and they'll bum rush the taxi and push you out of the way if you aren't aggressive yourself so that method is hit or miss.

A Second option are the yellow taxis which are basically double the rate of a normal taxi. Considering they are supposed to be attached directly to the airport and should have better drivers I would say half the drivers are dick heads and sometimes worse than a taxi you would normally flag off the road, thus its hit or miss with them as well and you pay double the meter. They sometimes get argumentative if you tell them to go a certain way and they want to go another way, a lot of times they want to take the longer route to jack up the meter fare. When you catch them on it they get pissed off, I've been dropped off in the middle of edsa a couple of times because of it. I had one fall asleep while driving and sitting in traffic, I had another try to say the meter was broken and give me a set rate, the scams never end even when they are a yellow taxi.

The Third option is coupon taxis, which are white fx's usually. They seem to offer the best value and least hassle if you don't mind paying extra for not having to argue with the driver which way to drive and how much the cost will be. They are generally 3x the price of a metered taxi.

A Fourth option are the touts with their little books trying to get suckers to book a private car from the airport. Their prices are generally quite high in comparison to the other methods of choice. They are a last option IMO if there is no other taxi's available because of a storm or something. they are generally 4X the price of a metered taxi, sometimes more if they think they can get away with it.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

That fourth one must be the one where the guy tried to charge me 900 to go from one terminal to the next it was almost like a van thats when i got out quick. Not sure where coupon taxis are im not spending a lot of time looking at taxis.

I got ripped off by airport taxi the first time i came ot phil thats why i had a bad taste. I dont know what the hell that guy was doing but he kept clicking the meter and it was 400 or so to the bus stop in pinay from the terminal it probably should have been 200.

ill stick with airport taxis even if some charge more cause manila is dangerous and its shady out there and i dont like hanging around manila and i have all my valuables with me from my plane trip so i cannot risk robbery i have stuff for my work and passport and cannot afford that stolen. i hate manila period actually can't believe some expats live there.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

You live and you learn. 400-500 pesos for a white taxi is about right depending on where you go from the airport. They charged me that much to go to Malate. I always take white taxis and never have a problem but I'm quite stern and make sure to have a pissed off look on my face lol. The only problem I have had sometimes is the guys trying to sell me girls or asking if I'm looking for some "boom, Boom." Usually I just tell them I'm from there and know where I'm going. I did take a yellow airport taxi to Makati on one trip. The guy saw the address of my hotel and said it was quite far. Ended up costing me 1200 pesos. I definitely got ripped off there but I learned my lesson.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

newlifeinphilippines wrote: why would you agree to no meter thats a scam rain or no rain. I only agree to no meter if its a scary area and im waiting around and there is no taxis easily. Its only 250 to fuente from airport. They should have their meter on from airport. Sometimes in bad rain if you go somewhere there is no taxis they might not let you in with just the meter price but at airport there should be a line in cebu airport so they should get the meter on. If they dont have the meter on its a scam.

cebu taxi guys are changing attitudes now. I noticed it constantly wanting to charge extra for drive thru or pickup or even airport, and some at certain hours are turning off the meters for trips in middle of night. They never used to do that.
I am not so often in Cebu, and if a taxi is using the meter during traffic jam in rain from Mactan to CebuCity it can take a considerable time while the meter is moving up and up regardless if the taxi is moving or not. He asked for php 400,- without meter and I have to say it was not an easy drive for him. It took him over 1 hour and he got USD 9,- and he has to pay the taxi company every day, and how much is left to him? I have understandings for poor people.

I am only in Cebu for vacation and for my fosterdaughter, who is now already 19 years old. I do not care about a taxi fare which is + USD 3,-. Do not ask me how much money I spend for myself and my fosterdaughter during our happy but short meetings and how much I pay for her studies in the St. Carlos University for the follow-up semester. I spent 100.000s of PHP...

Yes, true, some taxi drivers in Cebu are irresponsible, but also during my last visit in April in Cebu I had only 1 case of demanding clearly too much without a meter. Cebu taxi is not bad compared to these horror stories I hear about taxi services in Manila.

There are direct flights Tokyo - Cebu, and now I am rarely visiting Manila.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

White taxi's were the unregistered ones from what I remember. When temporarily moving to a Manila hotel. I forgot my Behringer B-2 microphone and left that with its case in the white taxi and never seen nor heard from the driver again. That was my fault though; I was busy w.horing it up that morning [yeah that's right Buffalo Bill Silience of the Lambs Licker] in Angeles City pulling an all-nighter so I wasn't vigilante of my surroundings.

Manila is horrible....one of the worst airports I have flown in and they actually check to see if you are wanted before they let you leave the country....even if it's a debt that somebody could have deliberately charge to your US Passport number.

You're better off flying into Clark/Angeles City, Cebu/Lapu-Lapu or any other airport..even including Zamboanga City before flying into Manila. It's a piece of s.hit.
The worst North-Americanized Pinays (Filipinas) I have met are originally from Metro-Manila.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

hammanta wrote:You live and you learn. 400-500 pesos for a white taxi is about right depending on where you go from the airport. They charged me that much to go to Malate. I always take white taxis and never have a problem but I'm quite stern and make sure to have a pissed off look on my face lol. The only problem I have had sometimes is the guys trying to sell me girls or asking if I'm looking for some "boom, Boom." Usually I just tell them I'm from there and know where I'm going. I did take a yellow airport taxi to Makati on one trip. The guy saw the address of my hotel and said it was quite far. Ended up costing me 1200 pesos. I definitely got ripped off there but I learned my lesson.
yeah whats up with taxi drivings trying to sale girls? is it a scam?

what he did ask you suddenly 1200 when he dropped you off? no receipt no real need to pay anyways so ask for receipt if there is an argument over huge money cause your word against his

I had a filipino guy help me pick out freelance hoes on the street and it worked out good he found a big boob girl for me was always lusting after a big boob girl lol anyways no more hoes for me. hell im taking a break from phil too expensive to keep going there.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

If your worried about being ripped off make sure you have a Filipina to pick you up at the airport or any where else you need to make a cash transaction.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Taco wrote:If your worried about being ripped off make sure you have a Filipina to pick you up at the airport or any where else you need to make a cash transaction.
that didn't seem to stop them in cebu. manila im by myself.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
Taco wrote:If your worried about being ripped off make sure you have a Filipina to pick you up at the airport or any where else you need to make a cash transaction.
Bring a bolo with you next time.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Taco wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:
Bring a bolo with you next time.
now that your in america for awhile whats your opinion? you miss living in phil or you would rather have your wife brought to the u.s?