Vietnam vs Philippines or China

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

I'm rather interested in the place as well. Anthony Bourdain has claimed Vietnamese food to be the best in the world. The girls are also quite attractive to. Plus I agree the history of Vietnam War is quite interesting. However, the language is considered one of the hardest to learn in the world for a native English speaker.

My filipina friend just got back from Cambodia and hated it. Said scammers were terrible and the country seemed very seedy. This is coming from a chick who lives around Angeles City. Granted she has the female perspective.

I still say the OP should check out Central America if he has a little spanish skills or the fortitude to try.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

hammanta wrote:I'm rather interested in the place as well. Anthony Bourdain has claimed Vietnamese food to be the best in the world. The girls are also quite attractive to. Plus I agree the history of Vietnam War is quite interesting. However, the language is considered one of the hardest to learn in the world for a native English speaker.

My filipina friend just got back from Cambodia and hated it. Said scammers were terrible and the country seemed very seedy. This is coming from a chick who lives around Angeles City. Granted she has the female perspective.

I still say the OP should check out Central America if he has a little spanish skills or the fortitude to try.

hahah its cause she is a "foreigner". Although ive heard cambodia is the pits. there aint much there considering their history i wouldn't want to be there either. although vietnam has a bad history too it sounds more interesting and not quite as poor. vietnam is similiar to philippines in regads to economic purchasing power for the average person. a little worse but not much.

Well im hanging it up i need to be frugal so i can retire sooner. Its silly to do alot of traveling all the time if your not retired i can live super cheap at home so thats what ill do. my income is very unreliable so i dont want to wind up as a hobo if i continue this way of spending.

Im terrible with language. and central america is just as far from california as philippines. Also the women are more rough around the edges. Girls down south tend to be prettier on average in regards to faces and body combination in terms of curves but im more attracted to the short petite 4'11 spinners and mannerisms of asian women thats why vietnamese really catch my eye cause on average they are prettier in the face and mannerisms.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

I lived in Vietnam for a few years. P4P certainly exists there, but you'll find better deals in neighboring SE Asian countries. It's illegal so the girlie bars and massage places usually have to bribe the police if they want to stay in business. This means higher prices for consumers. If you want to bring a girl back to your hotel room then you may be asked to pay for an extra room for the girl. This is so the hotel staff can pretend that you are sleeping in separate rooms. The culture is conservative. Vietnamese men want to marry virgins. "Good girls" don't drink, smoke, and sleep around. Of course, it's okay if men do those things because boys will be boys. It's not really a place where one night stands happen. The food is great but can sometimes make you sick especially the street food. Plenty of English is spoken in tourist areas. There are also plenty of annoying and persistent touts in such areas who will try their best to separate you from your money. It's worst in the big cities like HCMC and Hanoi. There is plenty to do and see from historical sites to great beaches.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

My favorite city in Vietnam, Vung Tau:

It's about an hour and half south of HCMC (Ho Chi Minh City) by hydrofoil. It has some decent western restaurants and nightlife. The people are more friendly and laid back than in the big cities. It's also a lot less noisy and polluted. You won't hear the constant sound of people on motorbikes zooming by as you do in HCMC.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

How is Vietnam for foreign expats, Traveller? How is the job market there (foreign companies, ESL teaching, etc.). There seems to be a lot of interest from HA'ers about Vietnam.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

zboy1 wrote:How is Vietnam for foreign expats, Traveller? How is the job market there (foreign companies, ESL teaching, etc.). There seems to be a lot of interest from HA'ers about Vietnam.
Just wait till Will n dowds next thread is "I Was a God in Vietnam" lol This whole happier abroad stuff is becoming a musical game of chairs. First korea and japan were teh destinations, then china and russia and thailand, now philippines, next vietnam. Once the will n dowds take over its onto the NEXT one lol
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

When I was in Vietnam teachers were making $15-20 an hour. Not bad compared to the cost of living. A lot of the locals survive on less than $5 a day. You can check the job board on Dave's ESL Cafe, but most schools don't hire from abroad. You have to already be in the country to be interviewed. A CELTA is highly valued. I met teachers from all over- Brits, Aussies, Americans, Europeans, and Filipinos. There is a large Korean expat community in HCMC so it is possible to supplement your income with private tutoring. I know a lot less about opportunities outside of ESL. I knew a few teachers who had opened bars or restaurants. It would probably require an initial investment of 10k or more.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Traveler wrote:When I was in Vietnam teachers were making $15-20 an hour. Not bad compared to the cost of living. A lot of the locals survive on less than $5 a day. You can check the job board on Dave's ESL Cafe, but most schools don't hire from abroad. You have to already be in the country to be interviewed. A CELTA is highly valued. I met teachers from all over- Brits, Aussies, Americans, Europeans, and Filipinos. There is a large Korean expat community in HCMC so it is possible to supplement your income with private tutoring. I know a lot less about opportunities outside of ESL. I knew a few teachers who had opened bars or restaurants. It would probably require an initial investment of 10k or more.
how were you able to stay so long? Vietnam is very restrictive they require a visa before you even enter the airport.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

newlifeinphilippines wrote: how were you able to stay so long? Vietnam is very restrictive they require a visa before you even enter the airport.
I entered the country on a one month visa. Once in the country, I was able to change to a six month multiple entry visa. A travel agent with the right connections can be very helpful. Paying an extra $50 or so under the table can ensure that things go smoothly.

Nowadays you can arrange to have a visa stamped in your passport on arrival that is good for up to three months. Google it.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

newlifeinphilippines wrote: how were you able to stay so long? Vietnam is very restrictive they require a visa before you even enter the airport
If you enter Vietnam by land-route from Cambodia or other neighboring country you need a visa from a consulate or embassy before arrival at the border crossing.

However for arrival by international airplane are different rules, there is visa on arrival available under certain circumstances.
Vietnam is not so restrictive anymore, some nationalities do not even need visa anymore.

However citizens of Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Norway, Finland, Japan, Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Laos, Brunei, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar are visafree for 2 or 4 weeks regardless if arriving by air or by land/sea.

Recently also Philippine citizens were cleared to travel visafree for 3 weeks into Vietnam.

It is expected that citizens of all EU countries, Canada, USA, Australia, Taiwan and a few others will be allowed to travel visafree to Vietnam in near future.

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2014/06/v ... free-list/
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster

Re: Vietnam vs Philippines or China

Post by Paloaltoguy »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:Anyone been to vietnam vs other countries? Vietnamese women are hot and the mannerisms of the people in that country interest me plus with my dad fighting vietnam war it would be nice to visit. Im considering checking out vietnam just for tourism and cultural reasons (and maybe for women too) if i leave the country again. I may not leave the country for years to save but i figure if i leave again its gotta be more than philippines, something to help motivate me to get on teh plane again.

Sorry but philippines was sold to happier abroaders as a bill of goods. I want a refund lol time to start checking out other countries simultaneously so i can eventually branch out. unless some girl specifically gathers my attentions so much i want to go just straight to phil there only but id really hope i can check out a new country first before i swing back to manila :) if i want to leave the country again I want to check out a new country for a change not the same old one only time and time again and no where else. Only like 2 or 3 weeks just to get a jist of it before i land back to phil. Thailand is just a whorer version of phil so ill skip it and japan and korea are stuck up and too fast paced and expensive.

Id really like to visit japan but with the high expenses and it being so fast paced and modern id be more interested in maybe vietnam or china for culture shock and the women are friendlier too which makes the trip more pleasant even if you actually dont score its nice to be in a country where women act sweeter. Anyone have success lining up dates off the vietnam dating sites?

No I will NOT try indonesia because I dont like muslims and im assuming the women there are more conservative then the other countries i mentioned also i dont care for the malay look of indonesians and it seems most are very homogenous looking with less variation in skin color or faces lunike filipinas. I also think vietnamese are hotter than the other south east asian island countries since they seem to have more northeast asian features usually from what ive seen.
Vietnamese women are hot? Maybe in America! My buddy went there and said the women weren't very good looking and he's ugly!
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Traveler wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote: how were you able to stay so long? Vietnam is very restrictive they require a visa before you even enter the airport.
I entered the country on a one month visa. Once in the country, I was able to change to a six month multiple entry visa. A travel agent with the right connections can be very helpful. Paying an extra $50 or so under the table can ensure that things go smoothly.

Nowadays you can arrange to have a visa stamped in your passport on arrival that is good for up to three months. Google it.
Correct. I paid $25 to a service this weekend for the Visa on Arrival approval letter. When I arrive at HCMC I will give them a copy of that letter along with my passport, pay another fee ($45 IIRC) and a 3 month single entry visa will be put in my passport.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Paloaltoguy wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:Anyone been to vietnam vs other countries? Vietnamese women are hot and the mannerisms of the people in that country interest me plus with my dad fighting vietnam war it would be nice to visit. Im considering checking out vietnam just for tourism and cultural reasons (and maybe for women too) if i leave the country again. I may not leave the country for years to save but i figure if i leave again its gotta be more than philippines, something to help motivate me to get on teh plane again.

Sorry but philippines was sold to happier abroaders as a bill of goods. I want a refund lol time to start checking out other countries simultaneously so i can eventually branch out. unless some girl specifically gathers my attentions so much i want to go just straight to phil there only but id really hope i can check out a new country first before i swing back to manila :) if i want to leave the country again I want to check out a new country for a change not the same old one only time and time again and no where else. Only like 2 or 3 weeks just to get a jist of it before i land back to phil. Thailand is just a whorer version of phil so ill skip it and japan and korea are stuck up and too fast paced and expensive.

Id really like to visit japan but with the high expenses and it being so fast paced and modern id be more interested in maybe vietnam or china for culture shock and the women are friendlier too which makes the trip more pleasant even if you actually dont score its nice to be in a country where women act sweeter. Anyone have success lining up dates off the vietnam dating sites?

No I will NOT try indonesia because I dont like muslims and im assuming the women there are more conservative then the other countries i mentioned also i dont care for the malay look of indonesians and it seems most are very homogenous looking with less variation in skin color or faces lunike filipinas. I also think vietnamese are hotter than the other south east asian island countries since they seem to have more northeast asian features usually from what ive seen.
Vietnamese women are hot? Maybe in America! My buddy went there and said the women weren't very good looking and he's ugly!
Here is the thing about Vietnam, even the middle class people are damn near poor. Women are not spending a lot of money on makeup, hairstyling and fancy clothing. Much of what we think of as "hot" in women is a matter of being well made up. Most of the women you see in Vietnam will be in their natural state and will not be made up at all.

An example of this which drove it home for me was when a fb friend in her early 20's asked me if I had seen her graduation pictures online. I had seen some pics on her page but did not realize that she was in them. I thought of her as a slightly above average looking girl. Well, when I took another look, there she was in an ao dai with a little makeup and her hairstyle changed. Holy shit. She looked great.

So that is something you have to factor in with Vietnamese girls. IMO, unless a girl is that rare top 1% type of natural beauty then most 9's are 6's who know how to use makeup, hairstyle and clothing. In Vietnam you will see the 6, although she would probably love to have the time and money to be a 9.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

[quote="Paloaltoguy"][/quote]

He's nuts! I've been there and I thought the women were amazing!!!! High concentration of young people in Vietnam. Sexy, slender and feminine ladies as far as the eye can see. I was very impressed and I think I have good taste in women....