Why many white men get short end of stick with Thai women

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

How do your experiences in the Philippines compare to the racism found in Thailand? Would you say that whites are less well regarded in Thailand than the Philippines, due to the latter country being less racially homogenous, and because of it's long history of colonization by western powers, as compared to Thailand which hasn't been colonized? I think I recall hearing you say, in an interview with Winston, that you feel that there is, overall, less racial tension present in the PI than in the US
Oh, you can't even compare the two! The Filipinos generally do not seem to have mich of a race or ethnicity consciousness. In their minds, you are what language you speak. It has been like this for millenia. So, you learn Tagalog and people call you Tagalog or you learn Ilonggo and that is what people will call you. Plus they are Catholic, mixed with white people already, and are not a united people- just small ethnic groups. No strong nationalistic doctrine, no enemies. And just relaxed, happy people who treat everyone with automatic respect. If you are a foreigner, they naturally respect you. If you speak the language, you find few obstacles on your way and they absolutely love it. Plus every Filipino family either has a relative married to a foreigner, someone with a Western citizenship or someone living in the US, Canada, etc.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

lookin4happiness
Freshman Poster

Post by lookin4happiness »

Reading the OP's linked post to the stickmans article lead me to realize that many of the higher quality asian women do employ the same ever so subtle tactics to let you know they're interested. Not recognizing this can lead to many missed opportunities. Nothing to do but live and learn.
ClearView
Freshman Poster

Post by ClearView »

If you get involved with a Thai woman pay attention and note that she is playing "long game." She will be what you want her to be until she "snares" you and it could be very good or it could be very bad.
DigitalNomad
Freshman Poster

Post by DigitalNomad »

good post
Last edited by DigitalNomad on February 27th, 2012, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
baletetree
Freshman Poster

Post by baletetree »

ladislav wrote:Thailand?

This is what I feel like doing when I think of Thailand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_18EgERsI

Read this:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/reader/reader37.html

I lived in Thailand for 3.5 years because of my work. The people are much more harsh-hearted than Filipinos and much more nationalistic there. I learned the language well and things change when you can understand what they are saying about you. While admittedly not all Thai women will reject Western men, most clean girls of the middle class will be ashamed to be walking down the street with you. Heard comments ( which those who cannot speak Thai will not understand). Many bars and clubs and entertainment establishments outside of tourist areas have the "non-Orientals not allowed" policy. I have been refused entry to such establishments myself. Some guys even complain that they do not get served in restaurants. Daily mockery of white people and ripping them off is the norm ( although again, those who cannot speak Thai, will not understand it).

Thailand was never colonized so they have been taught that because of their wise kings and some kind of cultural superiority and a great civilization they were not colonized. Also, they kept their culture and race pure and there was a time when white people were not even permitted to go there. Asians were allowed to immigrate and intermarry with the population there. So, there is still a barrier between a Thai and a Farang. Whether the barrier is thick or thin is a judgment call. I did not feel welcome there. You ask people for directions in Thai and they run away. Some people do not want to get into the same elevator with you. And there is this mockery and unpleasant looks that abound. Many people are suspicious and mistrustful of the Farang. I would say that 50% of Thais just look down on white people.

I also worked at Thai universities - three of them- and quite a few Thai teachers were not nice to us, some would not even say hello to us. Constant indignant talk and scorn.

After the Philippines I felt uncomfortable there and I never got used to the somber soul of the people there camouflaged by a fake smile.

Plus the average IQ there is quite low. Many people look morose and lethargic.

The Philippines has worse food and infrastructure but the general level of acceptance by Filipino people is gar greater. I have dated all kinds of girls in RP. The prejudice against white people is like one tenth of one percent of Thailand's.

And also, the visas- in Thailand it is hard to get any long term visa because they are so nationalistic; whereas in the Philippines, visas are less of a problem; nationalism is minimal, and racism is rarely directed against white people, it is more among themselves. White people are generally liked if they behave, and can mingle with the locals with minimum discomfort. Locals want to see you mix with them. And if you learn a Filipino language you are 99% in. In Thailand, you are still an outsider.

The people who are not ethnically Thais- Khmers and Lao ethnic groups are nice and friendly, but not straight Thais.

Thailand?

Yeeeech!
About Thai food...well this is my personal opinion only, ok? I feel that minus the spices a lot of Thai food cooked in the Philippines tastes better than in Bangkok :p.

For the rest, you are pretty spot on.
Glory Glory YNWA
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

baletetree wrote:
About Thai food...well this is my personal opinion only, ok? I feel that minus the spices a lot of Thai food cooked in the Philippines tastes better than in Bangkok :p.

There's no way this is true. You can't separate food from its spices or herbs anyways. Filipino food is drenched in grease, salt, and incompatible flavor textures. It's by far the shittiest cuisine i've ever had.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Repatriate wrote:
baletetree wrote:

There's no way this is true. You can't separate food from its spices or herbs anyways. Filipino food is drenched in grease, salt, and incompatible flavor textures. It's by far the shittiest cuisine i've ever had.
Well, when Anthony Bourdain went to the Philippines, the food sure looked good to me! Have you tried lechon baboy? It's supposedly the best roasted pig in the world, according to many pork lovers. I'm dying to try it one day!
RickSomchai
Freshman Poster

Post by RickSomchai »

Wow Thai woman and their skin lol My fiancee is Thai Dark skinned. When ever I go To Thailand, man light skinned woman try to run to me and take me away from her lol She is very hard on herself because of her skin tone. But get this.. Guys from the US like Dark skinned Thai woman they are more exotic and in many ways even more beautiful then the light skinned girls. Just because Thai's believe light skin is better like "Japanese or Korean" does not mean your more beautiful it the rest of the worlds eyes, Thats a Thai way and a Thai way only, so next time you put on your whitening lotion you might want to think about that.... what you see as beautiful and what others see are not always the same. :shock:
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

RickSomchai wrote:Wow Thai woman and their skin lol My fiancee is Thai Dark skinned. When ever I go To Thailand, man light skinned woman try to run to me and take me away from her lol She is very hard on herself because of her skin tone. But get this.. Guys from the US like Dark skinned Thai woman they are more exotic and in many ways even more beautiful then the light skinned girls. Just because Thai's believe light skin is better like "Japanese or Korean" does not mean your more beautiful it the rest of the worlds eyes, Thats a Thai way and a Thai way only, so next time you put on your whitening lotion you might want to think about that.... what you see as beautiful and what others see are not always the same. :shock:
Yeah, true that! I don't understand the obsession with light skin in places like China, India, and Southeast Asia. It seems like a lot is a bit of self-hatred to be honest. A lot of its due to the colonial influence of Western imperialism on native cultures that made light skin more desirable than dark skin. Westerners imparted their prejudice of dark skin people onto native cultures, which in turn, led to the problems with skin color in many Asian, African, and Latin American countries.
RickSomchai
Freshman Poster

Post by RickSomchai »

Yeah thats true, places like Thailand are somewhat behind as the westerners are now much more free from that and more open minded to date many places in Asia like Thai, Lao, Cambodia ext are still thinking like its 1975 or earlier... In time things will balance out where such petty judgments will be no longer in effect. To any Dark skinned Thai women reading this put away you lotion your beautiful just as you are :)
luoldeng9
Freshman Poster

Post by luoldeng9 »

ladislav wrote:Yeah, and many think that Thailand is a 3d world banana republic whose people are dying to go to the USA/the West. A view from the 1950ies. But it is now a fairly developed sovereign nation and is expensive and the people are proud and foreigners have very few rights there. Many people also resent white guys going over there. Very racist against them. You will not know it until you learn the Thai language and understand what they are saying at work and in your neighborhood. Lots of nasty comments and scorn. All in Thai.

And for a good Thai woman to be seen with you, a farang, in public is a shame. It's always been that way. So, unless you have a really good income and a good position with a big company, your only choice will be those who are rejects of the Thai society or those who are rebels and have a white fetish.$ 800 a month teaching English or even $1500 there is peanuts. Also, the visa regime there, as well as in Indonesia is designed in such a way to make sure that unless you are rich, you don't stay there. Oriental people, though, are treated very well. They are taught in school that they area never colonized master race of Asia and that the whites are there to colonize them and are not to be trusted. The so called "educated" Thais see a white guy a little better than a quadruped, anyway.

Kind of like Hawaii. So, unless you are rich, just enjoy it as a tourist and then get out. Spoken from experience.

Come to the Philippines. The same race as the Thais and the girls don't hate white guys and are not as materialistic.
how are Asian Americans treated in Thailand?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

how are Asian Americans treated in Thailand?
From my experience, very well. You will just assimilate and have everything you need.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I think part of the reason why there is racism in THailand towards white men is well the quality of the expats in Thailand on the average is pretty low. For the most part most of the expats go there to f**k the women . I mean if plane loads of Asian men flew into the states of some other western countries and all they did was look for p4p action. What do you think the locals will think? I would think there would be a backlash and local white guys beating down on Asian guys for f***ing white girls.
Exactly. But only partly. Do keep in mind that in the Philippines there is the same p4p scene and it is very big and there is no such resentment. At least not a major one. There is one major difference- there is a far greater number of legit white boyfriends and husbands who are with Filipina girls than sex tourists. Filipinos generally do not have a race hang up period. It was never part of the culture. Not even before the colonization. A very mixed society going back millenia. Always has been, always will be.
In Thailand, the people are not Christian, do not speak English, were never colonized and do not feel comfortable with white people period, sex tourist or not. The racial difference is unpleasant. They have not been exposed to them.
Lots of Japanese and Koreans, Malaysians and Singaporeans go there for sex. No problemo! No backlash at all against them. The Japanese had invaded Thailand and committed atrocities there in WW2 and nothing. No resentment.
They just physically and historically do not like white people. Sex tourism by white people just aggravates the situation.
Historically Thais did not allow white people in their country for a long time, until they realized that they had money and could make money off of them. That is the only interest they have in them. Otherwise they prefer to avoid them. Other Oriental people have been allowed into Thailand for centuries and assimilated well. This is why there is no resentment when a Japanese or a Singaporean or a Taiwanese goes on a sexual rampage in Bangkok. Nothing!
Filipinos otoh have been mixing with white people for centuries.

I mean honestly I really think part of the reason why western (white guys) go to Asia is because of the stereotypical element of the Asian women being easier or docile compared to western women. It's like the sexual other stereotype. I seen expats in Asia and sometimes they have this fake superiority complex over local Asian people. Just because your white doesn't mean your natural superior but some white people have that belief system.
Sounds like Brits.
So there will be some backlashes. I always hear that Korean people are racist..or Japanese people are racist and now Thai people are racist.
Everybody is. But Japanese for example will be far more racist against other Oriental people than against whites. A Japanese girl would much rather be witha white guy than with a Korean.
Koreans simply do not like anybody who is not Korean. Western people are treated better than other Asians, as well.

The Thais, otoh, would prefer other Orientals to Westerners.
Well..I'm an Asian guy who grew up in US of A and can tell you that I been called "chink, gook, ..etc..etc" ,I been rejected by white women because of my race and I also been attacked by group of white guys because of my race and told to go home .
Oh, but how often did that happen? White people in Asia would be called by nasty names several times a day every day. They are also told to go home. Perhaps everybody is just racist.

But dont worry. The white race in the US is dying, anyway.
Last edited by ladislav on March 12th, 2012, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

ladislav wrote: Oh, but how often did that happen? White people in Asia would be called by nasty names several times a day every day. They are also told to go home. Perhaps everybody is just racist.

I've seen you do this a lot Ladislav and you really have no idea how bad it can be for most Asian men in the U.S. I got called slurs a lot growing up in the U.S. Even when i'm not there's certainly a lot of condescending attitudes towards asian-american men in particular.

You really have no idea what it's like. I suppose in the worst case scenario that you experienced in Thailand back in the 90's might be slightly comparable with how a lot of AA are still treated in the U.S. today.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Repatriate wrote:
ladislav wrote: Oh, but how often did that happen? White people in Asia would be called by nasty names several times a day every day. They are also told to go home. Perhaps everybody is just racist.

I've seen you do this a lot Ladislav and you really have no idea how bad it can be for most Asian men in the U.S. I got called slurs a lot growing up in the U.S. Even when i'm not there's certainly a lot of condescending attitudes towards asian-american men in particular.
You really have no idea what it's like. I suppose in the worst case scenario that you experienced in Thailand back in the 90's might be slightly comparable with how a lot of AA are still treated in the U.S. today

Of course I don't know what it's like. This is how we learn about such things. By sharing here. And you do not know what's it like to be white in Asia. This is why I am sharing, too.

Again, how often did/does the harassment happen to AA men? That is my question. Does it happen once a day? Three times a day? Do people yell out and stick fingers at you daily pointing you out to their friends like you were some animal and staring at you like you were a freak daily, several times a day? Well, because this is how many Asian people behave on their continent.

And here is another question I have. There are 3,000,000 Filipinos in the US. I am just curious- for tens of millions of Filipino men, the US is a heavenly abode of Gods. This is how they see it. And when I saw and observed Filipino guys in the US, these looked very happy. They looked like that had made it in life. They walk with a spring in their step, smile widely and act so American, they are more American than anyone else I have seen. Obviously a person who is insulted and called names daily would be very much affected by this and not look as good or act as confidently. Filipinos are Asians in the US race taxonomy but they seem to look VERY happy. So, what is the deal with them.