Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Why many white men get short end of stick with Thai women

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby ladislav » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:24 pm

...But how is it expressed? What actually happens? In what way do people treat you disrespectfully?



I don't normally talk in depth about these issues because I realize how pointless it is on the internet but i'm surprised you come across as being so naive about it. I've had guys randomly try to pick fights with me before (years ago) while minding my own business. People driving by have yelled slurs out the window...ie. chink, gook, etc.. It's not unusual to get really poor service in restaurants and other places such as people serving white patrons first or generally acting disinterested or rude when you are ordering.

Does this happen _all_ the time? No but it happens frequently enough outside of areas with a large asian population. I'm pretty well traveled around the U.S. and have been to many many states. Overall, i'd say people are just not very friendly towards asian men, there's even some actual contempt there in some cases.

I fully and totally believe you. I just wanted to compare it to the white a white person gets treated in some Asian countries. Overall. it seems that in Asian they have a love hate relationship or look up/look down relationship with white men, in the US, it is scorn/indifference relationship with Asian men.


I do think Filipinos get treated differently because a lot of them look more Hispanic than Asian. Not all of them live in California. Many are dispersed around the country. They still love America and Americans and are very proud of being "Americans". They talk proud, have a ghetto black walk and you rarely see them complain. Well, I don't know. You know better.


of course but statistically most asians live in a select few major cities on the west or east coast. This is true across all Asian-american nationalities. You have outliers living in the midwest, south, etc.. but they tend to be very rare. I happened to have lived in both the south and the west coast before. I know what it's like across these culturally varied U.S. regions.

I think a lot of Filipinos are happy to be anywhere outside the Philippines...especially the women. It's just a culture that borrows a lot of its identity from America. It's basically still a colony so when you say that a lot of Filipinos seem really proud to be American i'm not surprised about this at all. However, I have met and talked with a lot of Filipino Americans who also express the racial issues living in the U.S. they have had the same experiences i've had. Some are more or less open to talk about it depending on who the listener is.[/quote]

Interesting. I see Filipino Americans and many walk around with chests puffed up, swaggering like ghetto blacks and all have grins on their faces. At least the ones I met. They look as happy as larks!

Ladislav, another thing.. a lot of minorities probably won't talk openly about these things with "white" Americans. The reason why is because it's usually automatically dismissed or the responses are kind of like the ones you are giving me now..sort of dismissive or disbelieving in most cases. It's pretty annoying which is why I tend not to focus on it much outside of people who have experienced similar things.


I understand and it makes sense too. But most of all, I think it is not the dismissing that they are afraid of, it is people telling them to Go Home!
No , seriously I was not dismissing it at all. I just wanted to know what actually goes on if one 'wears' and Asian body among Anglos. Because I know the experience of wearing my body among ( S.) East Asians. Dismissing and disbelieving happens also in cases when a white guy living in Asia starts complaining about people not wanting to rent an apartment to him, girls not wanting to date him and jeers and slurs thrown his way daily such and mocking body language, puffed up chests, eyes rolled up as well as people barking back in broken English- when you speak THEIR language to them, wild-eyed or shuddering away from him as if he had leprosy.
The locals will be embarrassed, change topic, or attribute it to language problem- "they cant speak English". And the expats will deny it- "NEVER happened to me", they will say, " People here LOVE ME. And if it happens to YOU, it is because YOU are the asshole!"
There is also a section of population that finds a white person exotic and interesting and girls who want to date you out of interest. In any case, it is impossible for any E/SE/Asians to treat a white person as an equal. Ever.

One of American teachers at my college in Japan, a very nice lady was in Tokyo and she fell down on the subway there. There were people just yapping "Gaijin Gaijin" with the same wild eyed expressions like the saw the she-devil her-self, and then not one person helped her up. Not one man.
In moments like that I actually catch myself approving of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and happy about the tsunami and nuclear accidents. What kind of nation is that!?

In Eastern Europe or any Arab country this would be unthinkable. People would come to your help no matter who you are.

But we have gone off on a tangent.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm







Postby Winston » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Check out this warning about Thai girls I received by email. Is it true?

Hey Winston,

I thought you disappeared in China or got kidnapped by the triads..glad you are still alive. Those "girlfriends" in Thailand are up to no good. They will rip you off just for some cheap sex that you can easily find here. There is no such thing as true love for foreigners. You'll just get exploited and in worst cases, murdered. Read about all the "suicides" in Thailand by foreigners. They were pushed off the balcony by their "girlfriends" or "wives" after cheating their money.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23582
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Intolerant » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Guess I'd go to Thailand someday if they're friendly towards overseas Asians like myself.
Intolerant
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Postby E_Irizarry » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:09 am

There's an all-you-can-eat thai buffet in pattaya. The best buffet i have been to abroad.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
Location: The Corporation ( the U.S. of Gay )

Postby Array9 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:13 am

ladislav wrote:Thailand?

This is what I feel like doing when I think of Thailand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_18EgERsI

Read this:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/reader/reader37.html

I lived in Thailand for 3.5 years because of my work. The people are much more harsh-hearted than Filipinos and much more nationalistic there. I learned the language well and things change when you can understand what they are saying about you. While admittedly not all Thai women will reject Western men, most clean girls of the middle class will be ashamed to be walking down the street with you. Heard comments ( which those who cannot speak Thai will not understand). Many bars and clubs and entertainment establishments outside of tourist areas have the "non-Orientals not allowed" policy. I have been refused entry to such establishments myself. Some guys even complain that they do not get served in restaurants. Daily mockery of white people and ripping them off is the norm ( although again, those who cannot speak Thai, will not understand it).

Thailand was never colonized so they have been taught that because of their wise kings and some kind of cultural superiority and a great civilization they were not colonized. Also, they kept their culture and race pure and there was a time when white people were not even permitted to go there. Asians were allowed to immigrate and intermarry with the population there. So, there is still a barrier between a Thai and a Farang. Whether the barrier is thick or thin is a judgment call. I did not feel welcome there. You ask people for directions in Thai and they run away. Some people do not want to get into the same elevator with you. And there is this mockery and unpleasant looks that abound. Many people are suspicious and mistrustful of the Farang. I would say that 50% of Thais just look down on white people.

I also worked at Thai universities - three of them- and quite a few Thai teachers were not nice to us, some would not even say hello to us. Constant indignant talk and scorn.

After the Philippines I felt uncomfortable there and I never got used to the somber soul of the people there camouflaged by a fake smile.

Plus the average IQ there is quite low. Many people look morose and lethargic.

The Philippines has worse food and infrastructure but the general level of acceptance by Filipino people is gar greater. I have dated all kinds of girls in RP. The prejudice against white people is like one tenth of one percent of Thailand's.

And also, the visas- in Thailand it is hard to get any long term visa because they are so nationalistic; whereas in the Philippines, visas are less of a problem; nationalism is minimal, and racism is rarely directed against white people, it is more among themselves. White people are generally liked if they behave, and can mingle with the locals with minimum discomfort. Locals want to see you mix with them. And if you learn a Filipino language you are 99% in. In Thailand, you are still an outsider.

The people who are not ethnically Thais- Khmers and Lao ethnic groups are nice and friendly, but not straight Thais.

Thailand?

Yeeeech!


Great analysis of Thailand Ladislav. I have never been there before but I have heard a lot of negative things similar to what you described. My question is about the Philippines. On my last two visits to the Philippines, I have been subject to a lot of nasty comments in English loud enough for me to hear it. Each time I was with a pretty lady so I didn't lose my cool. I understand that as a Western man, I make more than the average Filipino and I come and date beautiful women from his country but the jealousy is unreal.

I know this is an old thread but has anyone experienced the same jealousy from local punks in the Philippines? The women have been extremely kind to me but many guys have displayed a lot of hate.
Men chase, women choose

As long as you have gold in your hand, you will ALWAYS have bread on your table.
Array9
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Postby Falcon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:53 pm

ladislav wrote:Thailand?

This is what I feel like doing when I think of Thailand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_18EgERsI

Read this:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/reader/reader37.html

I lived in Thailand for 3.5 years because of my work. The people are much more harsh-hearted than Filipinos and much more nationalistic there. I learned the language well and things change when you can understand what they are saying about you. While admittedly not all Thai women will reject Western men, most clean girls of the middle class will be ashamed to be walking down the street with you. Heard comments ( which those who cannot speak Thai will not understand). Many bars and clubs and entertainment establishments outside of tourist areas have the "non-Orientals not allowed" policy. I have been refused entry to such establishments myself. Some guys even complain that they do not get served in restaurants. Daily mockery of white people and ripping them off is the norm ( although again, those who cannot speak Thai, will not understand it).

Thailand was never colonized so they have been taught that because of their wise kings and some kind of cultural superiority and a great civilization they were not colonized. Also, they kept their culture and race pure and there was a time when white people were not even permitted to go there. Asians were allowed to immigrate and intermarry with the population there. So, there is still a barrier between a Thai and a Farang. Whether the barrier is thick or thin is a judgment call. I did not feel welcome there. You ask people for directions in Thai and they run away. Some people do not want to get into the same elevator with you. And there is this mockery and unpleasant looks that abound. Many people are suspicious and mistrustful of the Farang. I would say that 50% of Thais just look down on white people.

I also worked at Thai universities - three of them- and quite a few Thai teachers were not nice to us, some would not even say hello to us. Constant indignant talk and scorn.

After the Philippines I felt uncomfortable there and I never got used to the somber soul of the people there camouflaged by a fake smile.

Plus the average IQ there is quite low. Many people look morose and lethargic.

The Philippines has worse food and infrastructure but the general level of acceptance by Filipino people is gar greater. I have dated all kinds of girls in RP. The prejudice against white people is like one tenth of one percent of Thailand's.

And also, the visas- in Thailand it is hard to get any long term visa because they are so nationalistic; whereas in the Philippines, visas are less of a problem; nationalism is minimal, and racism is rarely directed against white people, it is more among themselves. White people are generally liked if they behave, and can mingle with the locals with minimum discomfort. Locals want to see you mix with them. And if you learn a Filipino language you are 99% in. In Thailand, you are still an outsider.

The people who are not ethnically Thais- Khmers and Lao ethnic groups are nice and friendly, but not straight Thais.

Thailand?

Yeeeech!



There are indeed some farangs who have been able to do quite well in Thai society and not experience much prejudice. Many do indeed feel accepted and integrated, with social circles of close Thai friends. However, the truth is that a farang is always a farang (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

A few days ago, I was having dinner with a Thai woman, and we were munching on grasshoppers and crickets. I asked her if the farangs eat these things, and she laughed, saying "No, haha, because farang are ngoo โง่ [stupid]." The Chinese would also make some jokes about "laowai," which is the Chinese equivalent of "farang," but Thais seem to go further than the Chinese with their "white people jokes." Thais will indeed say some things to other non-Thai East Asians that they would not want a farang to hear.

In public, many Thais also look at the older, more heavyset, hairier white men with a certain kind of suspicion. It would be like the vibe Jester got from women in Mexico.

As Rock and I were walking around Bangkok, Rock told me that many Thai women in certain venues/neighborhoods in Bangkok will not even consider white men, but only East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and others). Rock was in fact asking a Thai girl if she would be willing to "go out with a white guy" like him.

Nonetheless, there are still thousands of white men who've lived here for at least 10 years and find themselves at ease with Thais and Thai society.
Falcon
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:59 pm

Postby anamericaninbangkok » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Falcon wrote:
ladislav wrote:Thailand?

This is what I feel like doing when I think of Thailand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_18EgERsI

Read this:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/reader/reader37.html

I lived in Thailand for 3.5 years because of my work. The people are much more harsh-hearted than Filipinos and much more nationalistic there. I learned the language well and things change when you can understand what they are saying about you. While admittedly not all Thai women will reject Western men, most clean girls of the middle class will be ashamed to be walking down the street with you. Heard comments ( which those who cannot speak Thai will not understand). Many bars and clubs and entertainment establishments outside of tourist areas have the "non-Orientals not allowed" policy. I have been refused entry to such establishments myself. Some guys even complain that they do not get served in restaurants. Daily mockery of white people and ripping them off is the norm ( although again, those who cannot speak Thai, will not understand it).

Thailand was never colonized so they have been taught that because of their wise kings and some kind of cultural superiority and a great civilization they were not colonized. Also, they kept their culture and race pure and there was a time when white people were not even permitted to go there. Asians were allowed to immigrate and intermarry with the population there. So, there is still a barrier between a Thai and a Farang. Whether the barrier is thick or thin is a judgment call. I did not feel welcome there. You ask people for directions in Thai and they run away. Some people do not want to get into the same elevator with you. And there is this mockery and unpleasant looks that abound. Many people are suspicious and mistrustful of the Farang. I would say that 50% of Thais just look down on white people.

I also worked at Thai universities - three of them- and quite a few Thai teachers were not nice to us, some would not even say hello to us. Constant indignant talk and scorn.

After the Philippines I felt uncomfortable there and I never got used to the somber soul of the people there camouflaged by a fake smile.

Plus the average IQ there is quite low. Many people look morose and lethargic.

The Philippines has worse food and infrastructure but the general level of acceptance by Filipino people is gar greater. I have dated all kinds of girls in RP. The prejudice against white people is like one tenth of one percent of Thailand's.

And also, the visas- in Thailand it is hard to get any long term visa because they are so nationalistic; whereas in the Philippines, visas are less of a problem; nationalism is minimal, and racism is rarely directed against white people, it is more among themselves. White people are generally liked if they behave, and can mingle with the locals with minimum discomfort. Locals want to see you mix with them. And if you learn a Filipino language you are 99% in. In Thailand, you are still an outsider.

The people who are not ethnically Thais- Khmers and Lao ethnic groups are nice and friendly, but not straight Thais.

Thailand?

Yeeeech!



There are indeed some farangs who have been able to do quite well in Thai society and not experience much prejudice. Many do indeed feel accepted and integrated, with social circles of close Thai friends. However, the truth is that a farang is always a farang (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

A few days ago, I was having dinner with a Thai woman, and we were munching on grasshoppers and crickets. I asked her if the farangs eat these things, and she laughed, saying "No, haha, because farang are ngoo โง่ [stupid]." The Chinese would also make some jokes about "laowai," which is the Chinese equivalent of "farang," but Thais seem to go further than the Chinese with their "white people jokes." Thais will indeed say some things to other non-Thai East Asians that they would not want a farang to hear.

In public, many Thais also look at the older, more heavyset, hairier white men with a certain kind of suspicion. It would be like the vibe Jester got from women in Mexico.

As Rock and I were walking around Bangkok, Rock told me that many Thai women in certain venues/neighborhoods in Bangkok will not even consider white men, but only East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and others). Rock was in fact asking a Thai girl if she would be willing to "go out with a white guy" like him.

Nonetheless, there are still thousands of white men who've lived here for at least 10 years and find themselves at ease with Thais and Thai society.


Falcon - You spelled stupid in Thai correctly but phonetically ngoo is a snake. Also, whenever a Thai calls a foreigner stupid it demonstrates their own intelligence. Your friend was probably joking around but how many Thais have you ever heard say something like, "Most farang dont eat grasshoppers or crickets because in their country these insects are generally considered inedible and they don't particularly like them." I've never heard a Thai respond with anything remotely close to this. Why do farang like dark skinned women? They're ugly! No, it's not that they're ugly, it's that your perception of them is that they're ugly. If farang perceive a purple chick to be beautiful, then they are...to them. Thais might find purple women horrid. Does that mean the chick is ugly? Only to them. To each is own, this is one aspect of life that makes people different, their likes and dislikes.

It's a well-known fact here in Thailand that the school systems are sorely lacking, especially when it comes to critical thinking. Ask them to memorize something, fine, but ask them to analyze a complex issue and many are f***ing clueless.

Here's the thing about fitting in in Thailand. Adapt the Mai Pen Rai mentality and it is much easier. Maybe it's because I've grown old(er) here but I stop placing importance in how I fit in with them long ago. Wearing a sharp, tailor-made suit does wonders when trying to look important. Honestly, I've never been caught up in where I am in society. I wear a pair of shorts, sandals, and a designer shirt most of the time. I'll wear a $2000 watch and most women haven't got a clue how much it costs. I dress like this for me. Step into a suit and all of the sudden I change from people viewing you as "just another farang" to being someone who is a VIP. Ridiculous when you think about it.

When I first came to Thailand I tried something...I went into Nana Disco in a pair of expensive shorts, Polo shirt, expensive shoes, and an Omega Speedmaster watch. The women (hos) didn't hit on me, didn't talk to me unless I talked to them, and generally showed no interest. Then I'd go in the next day wearing a pair of jeans, a nice button down shirt, nice shoes, and a jacket. Same person, two different nights. The women were all over me on day two. They knew I was the same guy as the night before but it didn't matter. I looked like a different person, like a VIP. f***ing A...I tried telling some of these girls that just because a guy is wearing a suit doesn't mean jackshit. For all they know I could be wearing a suit, spent my last 200 baht to get into the club, and have ten baht in the bank. Or I could be in shorts and a T-shirt and be a millionaire. But these sort of things fly by them.

There's an old story I was told many years ago...A woman working in a bank is very kind and considerate but she is worthless when it comes to her actually performing her job. Her co-worker is a C-U-N-T but is quick-witted and always gets the job done. One day the boss has to make a decision because the bank is downsizing...who should I get rid of. In the west, those who earn the company the most money and who do the job the best get to keep their job. In Thailand however, the boss cans the c**t and keeps the nice lady even though she's worthless to the company. This is Thailand.

I hear "Oh, you stay Thailand long time, now you are Thai." Bullshit. As you said, a farang will always be a farang and will never be Thai, even if you're like me and have two children with a Thai woman. But...I don't want to be Thai. I didn't leave America because I hated the country or my life. I needed a break from my stressful like and Thailand seemed like a good place to spend a year. A year has now become almost 18. I like that people leave you alone and don't f**k with you if you don't f**k with them. The exception being in the tourist areas.

Most Thais outside of the tourist areas are not out to instigate trouble or cheat you. They're just trying to make a living. There are honest people and there are those who will try to get an extra baht out of you. If you are relatively sharp this isn't a problem and is easily to deal with.

As far as the Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese...much of it has to do with their supposed affluence. Of course, not all Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese are wealthy but the thought of this, coupled with their light skin, (again) and supposed trendy style, means the Thais want to be like them or be with them. I've known several young girls who told me they want to move to Korea and find a Korean husband. I asked them if they had even been to Korea or been with a Korean man. Nope. They are so easily manipulated by the media and what they see on the internet that they'll move to Korea if given the chance. Pretty intelligent, don't ya think?

Thais have a better chance, IMO, of carrying on a relationship with a Chinese more than a Korean or Japanese if for no other reason than their own culture has a long history with the Chinese. I could be wrong but from what I know of Korean and Japanese men, I think Thai women would be disappointed in how they are treated on a daily basis.
Last edited by anamericaninbangkok on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 6:23 am
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

Postby kai1275 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Yeah you are correct on the Thai with Chinese man part. Culturally they would get along alot better just like Chinese men and Vietnamese women do. Japanese and Korean men may treat them pretty damn badly in a way that is 100% legal to get away with.
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby kai1275 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:03 pm

Winston wrote:Check out this warning about Thai girls I received by email. Is it true?

Hey Winston,

I thought you disappeared in China or got kidnapped by the triads..glad you are still alive. Those "girlfriends" in Thailand are up to no good. They will rip you off just for some cheap sex that you can easily find here. There is no such thing as true love for foreigners. You'll just get exploited and in worst cases, murdered. Read about all the "suicides" in Thailand by foreigners. They were pushed off the balcony by their "girlfriends" or "wives" after cheating their money.


Winston, have you and the others noticed that their is some "Fear-mongering" going on in these forums? From time to time it flares up with various posters. Even when I used to lurk 2 years ago, I saw enough of it to be noticeable. I ignored it because I quite frankly did not give a shit, and I have never been afraid to go to another country, especially an Asian one.
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby Anonymous1 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:58 am

Array9 wrote:
ladislav wrote:Thailand?

This is what I feel like doing when I think of Thailand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_18EgERsI

Read this:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/reader/reader37.html

I lived in Thailand for 3.5 years because of my work. The people are much more harsh-hearted than Filipinos and much more nationalistic there. I learned the language well and things change when you can understand what they are saying about you. While admittedly not all Thai women will reject Western men, most clean girls of the middle class will be ashamed to be walking down the street with you. Heard comments ( which those who cannot speak Thai will not understand). Many bars and clubs and entertainment establishments outside of tourist areas have the "non-Orientals not allowed" policy. I have been refused entry to such establishments myself. Some guys even complain that they do not get served in restaurants. Daily mockery of white people and ripping them off is the norm ( although again, those who cannot speak Thai, will not understand it).

Thailand was never colonized so they have been taught that because of their wise kings and some kind of cultural superiority and a great civilization they were not colonized. Also, they kept their culture and race pure and there was a time when white people were not even permitted to go there. Asians were allowed to immigrate and intermarry with the population there. So, there is still a barrier between a Thai and a Farang. Whether the barrier is thick or thin is a judgment call. I did not feel welcome there. You ask people for directions in Thai and they run away. Some people do not want to get into the same elevator with you. And there is this mockery and unpleasant looks that abound. Many people are suspicious and mistrustful of the Farang. I would say that 50% of Thais just look down on white people.

I also worked at Thai universities - three of them- and quite a few Thai teachers were not nice to us, some would not even say hello to us. Constant indignant talk and scorn.

After the Philippines I felt uncomfortable there and I never got used to the somber soul of the people there camouflaged by a fake smile.

Plus the average IQ there is quite low. Many people look morose and lethargic.

The Philippines has worse food and infrastructure but the general level of acceptance by Filipino people is gar greater. I have dated all kinds of girls in RP. The prejudice against white people is like one tenth of one percent of Thailand's.

And also, the visas- in Thailand it is hard to get any long term visa because they are so nationalistic; whereas in the Philippines, visas are less of a problem; nationalism is minimal, and racism is rarely directed against white people, it is more among themselves. White people are generally liked if they behave, and can mingle with the locals with minimum discomfort. Locals want to see you mix with them. And if you learn a Filipino language you are 99% in. In Thailand, you are still an outsider.

The people who are not ethnically Thais- Khmers and Lao ethnic groups are nice and friendly, but not straight Thais.

Thailand?

Yeeeech!


Great analysis of Thailand Ladislav. I have never been there before but I have heard a lot of negative things similar to what you described. My question is about the Philippines. On my last two visits to the Philippines, I have been subject to a lot of nasty comments in English loud enough for me to hear it. Each time I was with a pretty lady so I didn't lose my cool. I understand that as a Western man, I make more than the average Filipino and I come and date beautiful women from his country but the jealousy is unreal.

I know this is an old thread but has anyone experienced the same jealousy from local punks in the Philippines? The women have been extremely kind to me but many guys have displayed a lot of hate.


there is no jealousy amongst filipino men against westerners....trust me

the biggest backlash from filipino guys is actually against korean men
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Postby kai1275 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Anonymous1 wrote:
Array9 wrote:
ladislav wrote:Thailand?

This is what I feel like doing when I think of Thailand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_18EgERsI

Read this:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/reader/reader37.html

I lived in Thailand for 3.5 years because of my work. The people are much more harsh-hearted than Filipinos and much more nationalistic there. I learned the language well and things change when you can understand what they are saying about you. While admittedly not all Thai women will reject Western men, most clean girls of the middle class will be ashamed to be walking down the street with you. Heard comments ( which those who cannot speak Thai will not understand). Many bars and clubs and entertainment establishments outside of tourist areas have the "non-Orientals not allowed" policy. I have been refused entry to such establishments myself. Some guys even complain that they do not get served in restaurants. Daily mockery of white people and ripping them off is the norm ( although again, those who cannot speak Thai, will not understand it).

Thailand was never colonized so they have been taught that because of their wise kings and some kind of cultural superiority and a great civilization they were not colonized. Also, they kept their culture and race pure and there was a time when white people were not even permitted to go there. Asians were allowed to immigrate and intermarry with the population there. So, there is still a barrier between a Thai and a Farang. Whether the barrier is thick or thin is a judgment call. I did not feel welcome there. You ask people for directions in Thai and they run away. Some people do not want to get into the same elevator with you. And there is this mockery and unpleasant looks that abound. Many people are suspicious and mistrustful of the Farang. I would say that 50% of Thais just look down on white people.

I also worked at Thai universities - three of them- and quite a few Thai teachers were not nice to us, some would not even say hello to us. Constant indignant talk and scorn.

After the Philippines I felt uncomfortable there and I never got used to the somber soul of the people there camouflaged by a fake smile.

Plus the average IQ there is quite low. Many people look morose and lethargic.

The Philippines has worse food and infrastructure but the general level of acceptance by Filipino people is gar greater. I have dated all kinds of girls in RP. The prejudice against white people is like one tenth of one percent of Thailand's.

And also, the visas- in Thailand it is hard to get any long term visa because they are so nationalistic; whereas in the Philippines, visas are less of a problem; nationalism is minimal, and racism is rarely directed against white people, it is more among themselves. White people are generally liked if they behave, and can mingle with the locals with minimum discomfort. Locals want to see you mix with them. And if you learn a Filipino language you are 99% in. In Thailand, you are still an outsider.

The people who are not ethnically Thais- Khmers and Lao ethnic groups are nice and friendly, but not straight Thais.

Thailand?

Yeeeech!


Great analysis of Thailand Ladislav. I have never been there before but I have heard a lot of negative things similar to what you described. My question is about the Philippines. On my last two visits to the Philippines, I have been subject to a lot of nasty comments in English loud enough for me to hear it. Each time I was with a pretty lady so I didn't lose my cool. I understand that as a Western man, I make more than the average Filipino and I come and date beautiful women from his country but the jealousy is unreal.

I know this is an old thread but has anyone experienced the same jealousy from local punks in the Philippines? The women have been extremely kind to me but many guys have displayed a lot of hate.


there is no jealousy amongst filipino men against westerners....trust me

the biggest backlash from filipino guys is actually against korean men


ROFL! After having the displeasure of being around Korean tourists while in China, I can see why. They make most Chinese men look like saints. Nastiest group of men I have ever seen, even a construction worker has more class. I remember one man pushed me in my back in a line using his elbow. I turned around looked down on him heavily tempted to introduce him to my own famous Muay Thai elbow, but since it did not even hurt, I let it slide. I ended up leaving that line because idiot Koreans were about to turn it into a riot. I understood why some Chinese girls are afraid of them after those few days.
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby Falcon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Falcon - You spelled stupid in Thai correctly but phonetically ngoo is a snake.


If you're looking at those quick, informal guides to speaking Thai, then yes, but "oo" is used to mean a long "o" (oh) vowel in more technical or scholarly works. Alternatively, this could be written as "o:" ("o" followed by a colon). The vowel in 'snake' (งู)would be "uu."

And very interesting stories and insights, thanks.
Falcon
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:59 pm

Postby anamericaninbangkok » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Falcon wrote:
Falcon - You spelled stupid in Thai correctly but phonetically ngoo is a snake.


If you're looking at those quick, informal guides to speaking Thai, then yes, but "oo" is used to mean a long "o" (oh) vowel in more technical or scholarly works. Alternatively, this could be written as "o:" ("o" followed by a colon). The vowel in 'snake' (งู)would be "uu."

And very interesting stories and insights, thanks.


What technical and scholarly works would those be?

I've never seen the phonetic spelling of stupid spelled NGOO - ever. None of my reference books, one of which is the Thai Reference Grammar book, or my kids textbooks show NGO as NGOO. Also, I asked my wife and kids about this to be certain and none of them have heard of it spelled NGOO either. So I"m not sure what technical or scholarly books to which you're referring but at least in daily life nobody writes the Thai equivalent of stupid as NGOO. Yes, there is a colon after the O and depending on which books you have, also a line over the top to note the falling tone.

Students are also taught to ask, Sabai dee reu plao but rarely do Thais say this, instead they simply ask Sabai dee mai?

Also, snake is rarely if ever written NGUU. I understand that the Thai vowel is a sala UU but when it's written phonetically it's written as NGOO not NGUU. OO is shown as being pronounced as in BOOT.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 6:23 am
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

Postby Falcon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:14 am

anamericaninbangkok wrote:What technical and scholarly works would those be?

I've never seen the phonetic spelling of stupid spelled NGOO - ever. None of my reference books, one of which is the Thai Reference Grammar book, or my kids textbooks show NGO as NGOO. Also, I asked my wife and kids about this to be certain and none of them have heard of it spelled NGOO either. So I"m not sure what technical or scholarly books to which you're referring but at least in daily life nobody writes the Thai equivalent of stupid as NGOO. Yes, there is a colon after the O and depending on which books you have, also a line over the top to note the falling tone.

Students are also taught to ask, Sabai dee reu plao but rarely do Thais say this, instead they simply ask Sabai dee mai?

Also, snake is rarely if ever written NGUU. I understand that the Thai vowel is a sala UU but when it's written phonetically it's written as NGOO not NGUU. OO is shown as being pronounced as in BOOT.


I'm talking about lexicons and papers produced by academics, generally from the 1990's onwards. The Thai Reference Grammar book is an older one, still intended for the layman audience.

Benjawan Poonsam Becker's books all use "oo" to mean long "o"; "ee" is never as in "feet" or "oo" as in "boot" in her books.

Anyways, here's the official transliteration system promoted by the Thai government.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai ... nscription
Falcon
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:59 pm

Postby anamericaninbangkok » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 am

The Thai Reference Grammar was published in 2002.

I'm not a linguist and my Thai language skills are not perfect...however...

Although an official standard for romanisation is the Royal Thai General System of Transcription (RTGS) defined by the Royal Thai Institute, many publications use different Romanisation systems. In daily practice, a bewildering variety of Romanisations are used, making it difficult to know how to pronounce a word, or to judge if two words (e.g. on a map and a street sign) are actually the same. For more precise information, an equivalent from the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) is given as well.


I do not see the transliteration of โ— as OO anywhere. I have one of Becker's books however it's boxed up as we're moving in the near future.

In the UN report http://www.eki.ee/wgrs/rom1_th.pdf and the one from Chula. http://www.arts.chula.ac.th/~ling/tts/p ... es_eng.pdf this is simply written as O. Even in the link you provided, the RTGS, shows the โ— as O. I understand that the vowel in the Thai word snake (งู) is generally shown as U or UU but when the word งู is transliterated into English it is done so as NGOO - never have I seen NGUU. NGU, maybe...

This page also shows the Mai O as O and the Sara U as OO and UU as in too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_orthography.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 6:23 am
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

PreviousNext

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests