Got some basic Philippines survival questions

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

Cell phones? can I pick up one over there reasonably? Or should I get one before I go. No I don't have a cell in the U.S. outside of a 911 cell. Maybe I could just swap out the card in that & activate it there...?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MrBlueLight
Freshman Poster

Post by MrBlueLight »

How about dry cleaning and tailoring? I would assume that it is a lot cheaper to get it done in the Philippines. But do I get the a comparative quality finished product?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 27th, 2020, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

As an extreme cheapskate and someone who has researched this and knows the best deal

Remitly has the lowest fees only 0.8 percent or something like that ive sent money to myself online from my bank account while i was in phil. if you use the 3 day transfer option from bank account. Better than xoom or western union in fees.

but i normally use my capital one checking account atm which actually remiburses ALL of my atm fees. unfortunately i htink when they got bought out that its no longer available i was just grandfathered in. so you might have to look for a different atm card or if i were you just use remitly for 20 to 50,000 exchanges at a time at the mall and only use the debit card when you first come into the airport.

capital one credit card doesn't charge any 3 percent foreign exchange fees like other credit cards so i would use them for all purchases also.
MrBlueLight
Freshman Poster

Post by MrBlueLight »

Ghost wrote:
In2dadark wrote:Cell phones? can I pick up one over there reasonably? Or should I get one before I go. No I don't have a cell in the U.S. outside of a 911 cell. Maybe I could just swap out the card in that & activate it there...?
Just get your phone in the U.S. (you'll pay roughly the same anywhere) and then get a SIM card once you are in the Phils.
Does that work with a regional locked iPhone? I was under the impression that a normal iPhone cannot be used as a phone when brought abroad.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

P.S western union doesnt work online to send money to yourself once your in PI i tried to login but couldn't. xoom and remitly work though no matter where.
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

Found a no annual fee CC, w/ no foreign transaction fees & no balance transfer fees.

https://www.sdfcu.org/emv-creditcards
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

MrBlueLight wrote:How about dry cleaning and tailoring? I would assume that it is a lot cheaper to get it done in the Philippines. But do I get the a comparative quality finished product?
I never saw any dry cleaners. Sewing service is lousy at best and done on 100 yr old sewing machines. Its best to get your girlfriend to arrange it for you.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 27th, 2020, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 27th, 2020, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

MrBlueLight wrote:
Ghost wrote:
In2dadark wrote:Cell phones? can I pick up one over there reasonably? Or should I get one before I go. No I don't have a cell in the U.S. outside of a 911 cell. Maybe I could just swap out the card in that & activate it there...?
Just get your phone in the U.S. (you'll pay roughly the same anywhere) and then get a SIM card once you are in the Phils.
Does that work with a regional locked iPhone? I was under the impression that a normal iPhone cannot be used as a phone when brought abroad.
Depends on the model iPhone. The 5S (and I believe the 5c) and previously the 4s were world phones that take Sim cards. The iPhone 4 did not.
MrBlueLight
Freshman Poster

Post by MrBlueLight »

Another question. Do I need to get immunization shots before I go?
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

MrBlueLight wrote:Another question. Do I need to get immunization shots before I go?
No you don't. However, you might need some diarrhea medicine like Pepto Bismal. Keep it in your wallet so you always have it handy.
MrBlueLight
Freshman Poster

Post by MrBlueLight »

I asked this in the other thread that has degenerated into diatribes, but just wondering, which city has hotter women, Cebu or Manila? I prefer women who look closer to NE Asians than to Pacific Islanders? So which city has more slender women with lighter skin-tone and smaller nose?
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

Long time visit upcoming (I hope, if I don't get sick while there). How do you all handle your mail? My mailman said they'll forward to the phils.(wat??). I don't trust that for when I come back & I'll likely be roaming, at least at first. He mentioned getting po box, whilch I probably do. Any other ideas. Plan on going with an open ended return tx.