Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby davewe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:25 pm

zboy1 wrote:I agree with Ladislav: let's support each other and not criticize too harshly. We need to come together when a member of the forum has a bad experience in a country. Let's encourage each other rather than tear each other down. ...


It depends (how's that for being definitive :)). A guys says, "I've traveled or moved to another country and I am experiencing the following problems. Any suggestions?" Then the reaction should be sympathetic with genuine suggestions on how to make his experience better.

But if a guy says, "I had a bad experience therefore the entire country and all it's people suck and anyone who suggests otherwise is an idiot..." well such a person's gonna get disagreement and not a lot of sympathy. I feel bad that the OP did not have a good experience. But when his conclusion was that he would go back and pump and dump, essentially for revenge - then I have a lot less sympathy.

I will stick to my 1st comment in the thread - that most guys will not have a great time in the Philippines - at least not long term - and that I no longer have any reason to try to convince them otherwise. Ghost and Newlife should not return to the Philippines - it's clearly not for them.
Check out my blog @ www.marriedafilipina.com
davewe
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:21 am







Postby ladislav » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:30 pm

When I moved to Ukraine from Russia at age 14 ( after spending 10 years there), I remember it was a culture shock. Russians are much more honest. There's friendship. They help each other a lot. I had lots of friend who would stick up for me.

Now, when I ended up in Ukraine, the locals saw me as a simpleton. I got cheated and even beat up. It took me three years to make friends and even then, they turn against you in a whiff. So, the Philippines was a breeze basically except that they have people who are much more skilled in the art of cheating. They butter you up and con you and then bang! So smart! I really admire the skill. If they could put that intelligence to better use, it would really benefit the country. The scams they create there are amazing. Brilliant!

Like the last one was a work of art. A man walked up to me and talked to me in Visaya and showed me a gaping wound. He said he needed money for shots and that a gengrene was developing. I being a nice guy went to a pharmacy and bought him shots. He then disappeared. It turned out that he was taking those shots back to the pharmacy and getting refunds. And he was doing it to Filipinos. He could not speak English.

You want to be really scammed in the PH? Learn the language. Then, they will apply the art of scamming of a much higher caliber. The one designed to scam Filipinos. So many people there fall for work scams, loan scams, etc. You will fall for those, too.

They scam people from the country. Shamelessly. One girl I knew ordered a wig extension online and they asked her to send money by Western Union. Then the company just disappeared. Smart!

TV Patrol in the Philippines goes around finding the perpetrators all the time.

But the most common way is borrow money and not pay back. Pretend being sick or in the hospital and then ask for money. Or come up with some legit excuse to borrow money - like- I need money for school or to get a visa- and there's no school and no visa. These are very effective ways to pump some money into one's wallet. One girl said that her brother needed bail to be taken out of jail. But there is no brother and no jail.

In America, people are more honest with small things but scams are perpetrated on a higher scale. Advanced loan fees, investment scams, etc. Americans are aware of such scams and know how to protect themselves. Foreigners/immigrants to the US don't. Same with the Philippines.

It does not mean that there are no good people there. I have some really good friends. They make the whole thing worthwhile.

The mean streets of Manila are not for the naive and the trusting. There is a reason why the US Embassy does not give student or tourist visas to Filipinos. As in virtually none. Too many scammers.

But once you know how to protect yourself and have a group of friends, it's a great place to live.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby Ghost » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:57 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:23 am

Postby Taco » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Ghost wrote:
davewe wrote:
zboy1 wrote:I agree with Ladislav: let's support each other and not criticize too harshly. We need to come together when a member of the forum has a bad experience in a country. Let's encourage each other rather than tear each other down. ...


It depends (how's that for being definitive :)). A guys says, "I've traveled or moved to another country and I am experiencing the following problems. Any suggestions?" Then the reaction should be sympathetic with genuine suggestions on how to make his experience better.

But if a guy says, "I had a bad experience therefore the entire country and all it's people suck and anyone who suggests otherwise is an idiot..." well such a person's gonna get disagreement and not a lot of sympathy. I feel bad that the OP did not have a good experience. But when his conclusion was that he would go back and pump and dump, essentially for revenge - then I have a lot less sympathy.

I will stick to my 1st comment in the thread - that most guys will not have a great time in the Philippines - at least not long term - and that I no longer have any reason to try to convince them otherwise. Ghost and Newlife should not return to the Philippines - it's clearly not for them.


The sad truth is that the country is worthless.


I like it better than China.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4240
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Postby Winston » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:27 pm

J_master wrote:It's common in the culture over there. Even family members and best friends like to swindle each other. Lick your wounds and learn the lesson. Your lucky It was only $1000. Don't get mad get even..


I've never understood why so many Americans carry around $1000 in cash with them? That's stupid and unnecessary and illogical. All you need is $200 and you can put it all in your FRONT pocket, which is the hardest place to pickpocket. You have an ATM card right? Well just withdraw $200 with your ATM card each time you need more money. Simple system. So why do so many Americans carry so much cash around just to get robbed? I don't get it.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23574
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby ladislav » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:31 am

Most of you here don't see the bigger picture. And you'd defend little brown people even when they were stealing the nose from your face


Because not doing so would be racist. If these were Russians cheating you, there would be a hurricane of hate unleashed against them.

Anyway, may I ask how how much money you've lost there total? I lost about $15K in Thailand and I was cheated maybe of some $5k in the Philippines over the years. This does not count money which I helped people with. Just bad deals and lies.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby J_master » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:40 am

If you carry that much cash it's good to split it up and keep it in different locations or pockets, shoes, etc.
J_master
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:26 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Postby Winston » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:58 am

Also OP,
Why did you let your girl's brother into your room or hotel? That's kind of lame. You should only meet her family or siblings in their home or in a public place. Don't let them come to your place. Come on now.

Why not just find another girl that's better? You don't have to stick with that one girl. In the PH, you have CHOICES you know.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23574
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:24 am

.
Last edited by Ghost on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:23 am

Postby Bobby » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:52 am

$1000 is not a lot of money in the scheme of things as you say. Anyone can lose that sort of money pretty easily initially until you learn the ropes. I have by helping to pay for things like course fees (was she really on the course? I'll never know now). Losing a grand for me is really just part of the rich experience. You can't go to a place like the Philippines and expect everything to go smoothly - what would be the fun in that?

However, I'm drawing a line in the sand on perhaps 1-2K. Ladislav, how did you lose $5K in the Philippines and $15K in Thailand? That's a lot of cash for me.
Bobby
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:34 pm

Postby Taco » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:50 am

Filipinas that describe their appearance as "average"(a sign of humility) and are non drinkers are less likely to scam you than other women. They may not be sexy but at least you can trust them. Here's some examples.

1. http://www.dateinasia.com/avremaej
2. http://www.dateinasia.com/mizar
3. http://www.dateinasia.com/imeyednacot
4. http://www.dateinasia.com/icy_heaven123
5. http://www.dateinasia.com/loretslasit

A Filipina that drinks is going to get drunk in seconds and then sleep with a bunch of guys she doesn't know. This is not good if you want a stable relationship with one.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4240
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:49 am

.
Last edited by Ghost on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:23 am

Postby ladislav » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:51 am

However, I'm drawing a line in the sand on perhaps 1-2K. Ladislav, how did you lose $5K in the Philippines


By maintaining 11 girls ( yes, 11) and some scammed me pretending to be studying.

and $15K in Thailand?


Investing in forex and then not getting paid on a business deal

That's a lot of cash for me.


Oh, well, I went to Saudi and made it back pretty quick.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby newlifeinphilippines » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:46 am

Taco wrote:
ladislav wrote:And trust me, Filipinos cheat and lie to each other, too. They deadbeat each other and steal and rob. They use anyone who is naive and nice. The good people that I know there, the honest and kind ones got used as well. And those foreigners who live there often become crooks and cheats too.


My wife's former Filipino manager was dating a hooker and he didn't know it until she stole all the stuff out of his apartment.

Also, my wife used to have a small loan company and an American expat borrowed some money and now refuses to pay her.

Disputes over money and property in the Philippines are very common and often require a visit to the Barangay Captain who acts as a mediator since no one has money for a lawyer or claims court.


wow your wife sounds rich. her own loan company?

What the heck can a barangay captain do anyways?
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:06 pm

Postby newlifeinphilippines » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:47 am

davewe wrote:
zboy1 wrote:I agree with Ladislav: let's support each other and not criticize too harshly. We need to come together when a member of the forum has a bad experience in a country. Let's encourage each other rather than tear each other down. ...


It depends (how's that for being definitive :)). A guys says, "I've traveled or moved to another country and I am experiencing the following problems. Any suggestions?" Then the reaction should be sympathetic with genuine suggestions on how to make his experience better.

But if a guy says, "I had a bad experience therefore the entire country and all it's people suck and anyone who suggests otherwise is an idiot..." well such a person's gonna get disagreement and not a lot of sympathy. I feel bad that the OP did not have a good experience. But when his conclusion was that he would go back and pump and dump, essentially for revenge - then I have a lot less sympathy.

I will stick to my 1st comment in the thread - that most guys will not have a great time in the Philippines - at least not long term - and that I no longer have any reason to try to convince them otherwise. Ghost and Newlife should not return to the Philippines - it's clearly not for them.


I want sex and companionship why wouldn't it be for me? LOL
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest