Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Let's face the facts. America is one of the best countries.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Let's face the facts. America is one of the best countries.

Postby tamdrin12 » September 10th, 2014, 11:25 am

Yes.
I have been abroad for 2.5 years... What I have concluded is that overall... America is definitely one of the best countries to live in in the world. As much as some people who are stuck there and are hating it might not want to admit. Wait till you live in Asia for a few years and realize all the drawbacks of less developed countries. Eventually you realize if there wasn't an abundance of p***y these other countries wouldn't really have much going for them.

America has a clean environment. It has several big and beautiful mountain ranges and tons of clean natural beauty. IT has some of the most interesting and diverse cities in the world. You can get in your car and drive for a week from Maine to California and see amazing sites and experience total freedom. Most of these little Asian countries.. Taiwan.. Thailand the countryside... while having some beautiful areas is rather polluted with ugly builldings and shitty city planning.

So basically there is really no happier abroad.. Unless you have some business abroad and are making serious money abroad... Otherwise.. lets face it.. the only thing better abroad is its easier to meet women and get p***y. If that is the only f***ing reason.. the only thing that is really better you will eventually realize that it's definitely not enough to make you happy in a place.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Check out our Dating Sites and HA International Romance Tours!

Postby J_master » September 10th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Lots of people are living happy abroad. I just choose to take short trips abroad for a few weeks or a month at a time. I lived in Germany for three years and was happy to get back to the States. Now I visit Germany for beer and Asia for pu**y. Just be creative and do your own thing, who cares if someone else doesn't like the place.
J_master
Freshman Poster

Postby tamdrin12 » September 10th, 2014, 12:27 pm

I'm not miserable abroad.. I have had a good time and don't regret the experience.. There is just A LOT of things we take for granted in America that you won't truly understand until you live in a less developed place..
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

http://thailand-treasures.myshopify.com/collections/all
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Postby Traveler » September 10th, 2014, 1:13 pm

I think that's true in a lot of ways. An American with a middle class income can enjoy a better lifestyle in a house with a backyard. Shopping is definitely better in the US. There is more variety and higher quality products. I can get better deals on electronics, food, and clothes in the US. The US has much better dining options. A midsize city of 100k-200k will typically have all kinds of different restaurants. In Asia if you don't like the local cuisine then you may be SOL. I also enjoy the public libraries in the US. I can spend all day there reading books and magazines and using the free wifi.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Postby KokujinKrusader » September 10th, 2014, 2:41 pm

I agree with the OP's points, but some people indeed will be happier abroad, at least for certain periods of their lives. I enjoyed my stay in Mainland China, and yes, getting some puh was a major reason why, but it was also an adventure for me. The downsides were the filth, the food (while delicious, it didn't quite agree with me all of the time), and the racism (and if trends continue, that will be a bigger problem in the US).
Grand Admiral Game taught me how to improve my mindset in order to achieve the success that I wanted in life!
KokujinKrusader
Freshman Poster

Postby J_master » September 10th, 2014, 3:06 pm

If you live in America and have lots of cash and time to travel then that's even better. So get busy on earning lots of cash..
J_master
Freshman Poster

Postby tamdrin12 » September 10th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Yeah.. I don't really have the skills to earn lots of cash. I studied religion and philosophy in college. Two totally useless subjects for making money. I thought I would just do what I love and somehow get by. Once you hit 30 you realize you need more money in order to have freedom in this world that we live in.. I'm teaching English in Thailand now and am totally broke... But I am a relatively happy person in general. I tend to attract good people into my circle..
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Postby MrBlueLight » September 10th, 2014, 4:18 pm

America sucks because of Americans and their bad attitudes. No amount of beautiful mountains and conveniences can salvage the fact that Americans suck. When going abroad, you see miserable people. In America, people make you miserable. I will take seeing miserable people over being made miserable any day, thanks.
MrBlueLight
Freshman Poster

Postby zboy1 » September 10th, 2014, 4:28 pm

MrBlueLight wrote:America sucks because of Americans and their bad attitudes. No amount of beautiful mountains and conveniences can salvage the fact that Americans suck. When going abroad, you see miserable people. In America, people make you miserable. I will take seeing miserable people over being made miserable any day, thanks.

+1!

I think for certain people accustomed to certain things in life, i.e. big homes, nice cars, material goods and comforts, then you're better off staying home or if you do plan on expatriating, then going to another advanced country is better for you...but if you're like me, and you want some adventure, then it doesn't matter where you go to be happy.

The U.S. isn't the only 'advanced' country in the world, btw. ...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby chanta76 » September 10th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Mrbluelight and zboy are both Asian guys. I really think American racism is big part for Asian guys to feel unhappy in America ..more so compared to the white posters here.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Postby hammanta » September 10th, 2014, 6:48 pm

“Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.â€￾

That quote by the Dali Lama sums it up for me. That is what America, and a lot of the West is about that I completely dislike. Watching family and friends take on huge amounts of debt for things that society says will make them happy. Neglecting each other for this myth of an American Dream. Getting a week or two vacation a year and not using it out of fear of consequences. Putting more emphasis on celebrities, being cool, and reality T.V. than education. Ruining one's health through junk food, alcohol abuse, and drugs. The unappreciative nature of the people and their ignorance. Needless to say, radical feminism.

I know a good amount of people that have never gone abroad, several have only visited a few states. They are missing out on all types of possibilities and experiences that could improve their lives, spark a passion, meet great people or whatever. I hear from people all the time about wanting to see this or that country or location but they have no ambition or drive to make it happen. They waste their money and time on things that truly don't matter or are unnecessary. Then they make excuses for not being able to do something.

Perhaps that is more of a rant about people in general, but those traits seem to be more evident in America than some other countries.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Postby Bao3niang » September 10th, 2014, 9:19 pm

Wow, I cannot believe there are people on here that DEFEND America. I am not Asian American but Asian Canadian which is basically the same thing. All the five Anglo countries are the same in terms of lifestyles and culture (UK nowadays is basically Americanized).

Yes. If what you want in life are houses, cars, and just being a mindless consumer instead of focusing on intellectual, artistic, and spiritual pursuits then just stay. There is no better place for these things than the 5 Anglo countries.

Even Europeans (Western Europeans) depend on automobiles a lot less than Americans / Canadians / Brits / Australians. This is why you hardly see a heavily overweight or obese European.

I was a 'repatriated expat' for the last five to six years of my life, returning from Vancouver to Beijing, China. Beijing is not the best place to be in terms of dating and environment (both natural and human) but overall I was 1000 times happier back in Asia. Now I am back in Vancouver for university and feeling miserable although I don't show it often. Most importantly my experience in China has helped me discover my thirst for adventure and being an expat.

I will definitely get a CELTA or TESOL certificate. Now that I will likely have to be in Vancouver for the next few years I will keep my heart and mind pure. I will not look into the dating scene here as in the words of William N. Dowd: "There is no dating scene in Vancouver unless you are rich or some bad jerk." I certainly won't end up as a brainwashed sheep.

If you want more information about me as a person, zboy, magnum, and Everdred are the ones to ask.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Postby zboy1 » September 10th, 2014, 11:39 pm

Well, here's a description of America from Fred Reed, a White male, conservative blogger that lives in Mexico with his Mexican wife and children:

I don't think it's just 'Asians' or 'minorities' that have become disillusioned with the USA:

http://www.fredoneverything.net/Unstable.shtml

Weimar America
Groobers, Shickle and Otherwise

August 6, 2014

Unstable countries are unstable, this not always being obvious in those countries, and then comes a man on a horse. The United States, methinks, is not particularly stable.

That anything seismic might happen is an idea doubtless inconceivable to most Americans, who still remember the America of Reader’s Digest, but is daily less improbable. Weimar America is not stable. The cracks in the foundations, the social crumbling and virulent antipathies grow daily more evident.

The economy declines, jobs leave for other climes, the petroyuan looms, college graduates crushed by debt find no work, the middle class shrinks, and the young begin to live perforce with their parents. Times of diminishing expectations are dangerous.

City after city joins the ranks of the bankrupt, semiliterate, corrupt black Bantustans which by honest naming would be called Lower Third World. Their culture is utterly alien to that of Eurowhites. Across the open border to the south pour huge waves from the Latino slums, less alien to Eurowhites, less hostile, but nonetheless threatening to form yet another country within a country. The Third World proportion of America closes rapidly on a full third. Despite desperate attempts to impose multicultural harmony, experience shows that widely disparate peoples who do not like each other do not enjoy happy endings. My country ‘tis of three, sweet land of dystrophy….

America can no longer be called a democracy. The Constitution recedes in memory. Congress and the Supreme Court amount to nothing. Washington rests uneasily in the hands of a half-mad clique of geopolitical illiterates, warlike misfires playing dangerous games like little Kaiser Wilhelms in a sandbox. Presiding over the city is Septimius Severus, Bokassa III, a negligible pol from Chicago who doesn’t like whites or understand European norms of government. He will keep the borders open and civil liberties in retreat.

A sort of insanity rules, warning of stress building along many political San Andreas faults waiting for the Big One. A pathologically aggressive United States bombs countries almost at random while little boys are dragged from school in handcuffs for pointing a finger and saying “Bang.â€￾ Girls suffer from bulimia and anorexia, lunacies nonexistent in psychically healthy societies. A crack-brained feminism makes cockamamie circuses of the universities. Bastardy runs at a perilous thirty percent among white women, verging on cultural disintegration, and seventy percent among blacks. The epicene young grow in sheltered, meaningless hothouse-suburbs, never having worked, baited a hook, been in a schoolyard fight, or existed outside of a feckless bored helplessness.

From the cellars come prancing homosexuals, men in dresses and panties, the surgically altered inverts and sadomasochistic hobbyists. The high schools are become drug markets, differing only slightly from the middle schools. Life is a cabaret, old chum, here in Caligula’s bedroom.

An actual breakup of America does not seem inconceivable. Maine wants out. In the Southwest, Hispanics move rapidly toward demographic and then voting majorities. These states were once part of Mexico, and Mexicans know it. If they chose to ignore the federal government? Mississippi is thirty-seven percent black. An increase of five or ten percent by birth or immigration, a tipping point, white flight, et voila, a black republic. Would Washington send troops to retake these regions? It can’t even enforce its marijuana laws in Colorado and Washington State.

Below this seething maelstrom of degeneracy lie dangerous shoals of cultural conservatism, of people who believe in two sexes and birth within wedlock and orderly society obedient to law. They are quietly very, very angry at seeing everything they stand for eaten away by the multi-culti, touchy-feely, everything-goes miasma emanating from Washington. They speak of personal responsibility, learning the multiplication tables, English as the national language, and no toleration of crime-- and they know who commits it. Whether you think them simple-minded and fascist or wholesome and self-reliant defines which side of the gaping cultural divide you inhabit.

In times like these arises a yearning for a strong man to sweep away the filth, banish the disorder, and restore a possibly existent former Elysium. Such desires usually involve assertion of the national myths, in this case of the brave, self-reliant, and clean-living Davy Crockett and the immaculately wholesome small towns of Norman Rockwell. These never were, which doesn’t matter. Tthe America of 1960 came much closer than what we now have.

And so a strong man arises from somewhere. With luck you end up with Lee Kuan Yew instead of Mussolini or, worse, that dark squatty effeminate blond Aryan superman of the Beer Hall Putsch. Unfortunately you can’t tell who you have got until after you have got him.

Authoritarianism is not without a pull. Among old hands who have been around the East one not infrequently hears approving reference to the immigration-and-customs forms the stews handed out on final into Singapore’s airport. I doubt that I can quote it verbatim, but I can come close.

“There is a death penaltyin Singapore for importation or possession of drugs. This penalty is carried out.â€￾ Color in the original. Singapore’s problems with drugs were, well, exiguous. Why, who would have thought it?

In these conversations there usually comes up the case of the young American caught vandalizing cars in Singapore. The punishment is a particularly agonizing form of caning. This caused horror in the US on one side of the cultural divide, but satisfaction on the other. “Reckon the stupid bastard's goimg to key any more cars?â€￾ As a society becomes ever more permissive and lawless, this sort of thinking gains in attractiveness.

In America, something is going to happen. It will not happen just now. Things are not yet bad enogh. Wait. Whether it will be a continued slow sinking into an internally chaotic semi-bushworld status, or a serious war with Russia and China started by brain-burnt sexagenarian adolescents in Congress and pasty neocons with Napoleonic fantasies, or a coup by the military, or something else, I don’t know. A Pentagonal coup d’état does not seem likely, granted. Our generals are not greatly political as long as they get their toys and wars, and they lack the doughty moralism of a Hindenburg or Ludendorff.

In practical terms, though, four helicopter gunships and twenty Black Hawks of troops arriving over Washington from Quantico would do it. Whether the public would care enough to do anything about it, or whether there would be anything they could do, is uncertain. Enough people are sick enough of the current state of things that they might say, what the hell, give it a try. The crucial question world then be how the rest of the military would respond.

Think of it as Merle Haggard versus Justin Bieber. Or Sarah Palin versus Paris Hilton. But something is going to happen.

He maybe White--but he doesn't sound like he has any hope or sympathy left for his former country...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Cornfed » September 11th, 2014, 12:16 am

Traveler wrote:I think that's true in a lot of ways. An American with a middle class income can enjoy a better lifestyle

Only about 10% of Americans now have a middle class income, and if you could be paid a similar income in much of the world you could live like a king.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby tamdrin12 » September 11th, 2014, 1:40 am

I am not DEFENDING America.. Stop being so ridiculous. I am just saying that you end up seeing the good things about it after a long time abroad (in mostly less developed countries)... The things we take for granted there...

I am not talking about liking America for being an overly materialistic country. In fact the other countries want to and are striving to become like that. I am just talking about some of the aspects of it which are good... God forbid anyone says anything good on these boards about America.. This forum is one sided to say the least but look at all the posters coming out now and bitching about the Phillipines and other places which turn out not to be as good as they thought..

Hey if you can be happy in a place like China more power to you. I for one couldn't.. not because of the material life but because of the social isolation I would have living in such a place. I also find Chinese culture to be drab and uninteresting... very sterile. I lived in Taiwan for over a year..

tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Next

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand