It's (no) more fun in the Philippines.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: It's (no) more fun in the Philippines.

Post by davewe »

MJay1978 wrote:
Taco wrote:
MJay1978 wrote: The fourth time is when shit started to hit the fan, revealing to me the kind of Filipino she really is. I got bombarded with cuss words, f-bombs, and complete disrespect and it had to do with political discussion regarding my country and how most of the women are here.
She's obviously from Luzon. You rarely encounter this type of behavior with Visayan women.
No. That's not what she told me at least. She told me she is from the Marikina City region of the Philippines. I think it is in my best interest to just stick with the Ukrainian & Russian women. At first I did like her feminine projection until she showed her true colors. Her actions of bad Western behavior are an instant turn-off.
Marikina City is in Metro Manila as Taco predicted.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 1st, 2019, 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MJay1978
Freshman Poster

Post by MJay1978 »

Ghost wrote:
MJay1978 wrote:
Taco wrote:
MJay1978 wrote: The fourth time is when shit started to hit the fan, revealing to me the kind of Filipino she really is. I got bombarded with cuss words, f-bombs, and complete disrespect and it had to do with political discussion regarding my country and how most of the women are here.
She's obviously from Luzon. You rarely encounter this type of behavior with Visayan women.
No. That's not what she told me at least. She told me she is from the Marikina City region of the Philippines. I think it is in my best interest to just stick with the Ukrainian & Russian women. At first I did like her feminine projection until she showed her true colors. Her actions of bad Western behavior are an instant turn-off.
Marikina is in Luzon, which is the north island of Philippines. Even for Luzon women, that kind of behavior is unusually crass. I used to know a Filipina sort of like that in Marikina. What was her name?
Her name is Aimee Ilantero. That's with a capital "I". Not L.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

You guys are right about Manila. No one likes it. Even Filipinos hate it. I wonder why they don't just all leave it. lol. Even Rock, who lives in the nicest upscale part of Manila (in Makati), doesn't like Manila's pollution and bad infrastructure. But he has advantages there in that since other foreigners don't want to live there, he has all the girls (ones who are seeking foreigners) there all to himself. :) So he dates many good quality middle class girls, many of whom are attractive and very willing to be intimate with him. I've seen many of them. So in a sense, Rock is glad that you all hate Manila, so he has no competition there for the girls seeking to date foreigners. lol

Philippines is like a love/hate relationship with many of us. We love the cheap sex there and sweetness of girls. But hate many other things about it, as mentioned in this thread. However, even when you burn out and leave the Philippines, you eventually start to miss it, especially if you are lonely and horny in other countries. So it brings you back. So in a sense we have a love/hate yo-yo relationship with it. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MJay1978
Freshman Poster

Post by MJay1978 »

Winston wrote:You guys are right about Manila. No one likes it. Even Filipinos hate it. I wonder why they don't just all leave it. lol. Even Rock, who lives in the nicest upscale part of Manila (in Makati), doesn't like Manila's pollution and bad infrastructure. But he has advantages there in that since other foreigners don't want to live there, he has all the girls (ones who are seeking foreigners) there all to himself. :) So he dates many good quality middle class girls, many of whom are attractive and very willing to be intimate with him. I've seen many of them. So in a sense, Rock is glad that you all hate Manila, so he has no competition there for the girls seeking to date foreigners. lol

Philippines is like a love/hate relationship with many of us. We love the cheap sex there and sweetness of girls. But hate many other things about it, as mentioned in this thread. However, even when you burn out and leave the Philippines, you eventually start to miss it, especially if you are lonely and horny in other countries. So it brings you back. So in a sense we have a love/hate yo-yo relationship with it. lol
To each their own. We all have our own different preferences Winston. Some may like Filipino women. Others will not. Latinas, Russian women, Ukrainian women, Brazilian, Columbian, Venezuelan, and more. Even though Latinas are hot (especially the Columbians and the Brazilians), I prefer Russians and Ukrainians because I find them to be the most feminine women in the world. I also find Russian and Ukrainian women to be more orthodox. The Filipino woman I was contacting certainly proved herself to not be a feminine woman. She projected the behavior of Westernized behavior, including the continuous use of the "f" word. Even though I heard the culture in the Philippines is bad, I'm pretty sure that is the reason Rock is still living there since he has an advantage with the women there. I'll just stick with the Ukrainian and Russian women. I get along better with those kind of foreign women.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Winston wrote:You guys are right about Manila. No one likes it. Even Filipinos hate it. I wonder why they don't just all leave it. lol. Even Rock, who lives in the nicest upscale part of Manila (in Makati), doesn't like Manila's pollution and bad infrastructure. But he has advantages there in that since other foreigners don't want to live there, he has all the girls (ones who are seeking foreigners) there all to himself. :) So he dates many good quality middle class girls, many of whom are attractive and very willing to be intimate with him. I've seen many of them. So in a sense, Rock is glad that you all hate Manila, so he has no competition there for the girls seeking to date foreigners. lol

Winston, have you every checked out Davao City? I have been living there for almost a year now (with a couple of breaks back in the UK/Italy) and I have found it to be just the right mix of metropolitan and suburban/provincial lifestyle. The traffic is bearable, the air is fresh and not so sticky even when very humid, even being caught under the pouring rain is a great experience, as you can feel fresh and clean water on your skin. There are very decent parks and wild nature is very close by. The malls are numerous, large and can provide for any need.

Then with the election of Mayor Duterte as the 16th President, Davao will see a massive boom in public and private infrastructure investment.

These are but a couple of projects that will be enriching Davao and its populace soon:
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/792194/dut ... t-in-davao
http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php ... &id=128615

What everybody (including I) hope for Davao is that its development will be more organic and less chaotic than what happened to Cebu, which has a highly industrialised and saturated urban area that's maybe 1/10th of that of Davao.

As for the women...I found them to be simple and maybe less intellectually stimulating than those you could find in some parts of Manila. There is a stark feeling that the best and the brightest will have left Davao for Metro Manila, Singapore or the States anyway, and those who stay are the hopeless ones. Having said that, I do know a fair share of foreigners who are living a happy life with the Filipina cutie of choice - the key here is definitely to enjoy a simple life and not ask too much.
livefreeordie
Freshman Poster

Post by livefreeordie »

Perhaps the title should be changed to : It's (no) more fun in life anymore

Because that's exactly how suicidal this discussion is in essence. You can take two men of the same age in the same city, and one is living the life of his dreams with no money, and the other is about to kill himself, loaded with money. Blaming circumstances and focusing on the vomit and feces in the gutter when you are right next to one of the world's most beautiful garden parks is depressing and draining, especially when there are more inspiring and empowering things to focus upon. And aren't there some incredible natural places in the Philippines one could visit too?

Each to his own, but making sweeping generalizations about a whole country, and basing that belief partly on the reactions of one woman or a few negative experiences, is absurd, and just as there are major negatives with places like manila, there are equally strong opportunities and positives to those same negatives I can point out. I dont mean to direct this criticism at any particular posters, just towards the negative beliefs that i read loud and clear in between the lines that create a self-fulfilling prophecy where the belief is reinforced, and i think its likely that there are major negative beliefs that are sitting alongside that one, which has less to do with the environment than you would think

This has taken a strange sidetrack with the discussion about threats and what not, but i enjoyed those nuggets of wisdom regarding manila and davao. I too seemed to notice that manila was a bit of a poosy paradise, and had as many as 3 dates lined up in one night, had to cancel one because i scored with one of them, and really enjoyed the company of the first girl which i think i will follow up with on the return. I found it really funny that rock would have been doing so well because no-one wants to live there. I also think there are some major business opportunities that could be developed in manila, and major financial and multinational corporations like JP Morgan and Goldman sachs seem to have bases of operation there, and I bet there is a major talent pool of skilled labour which couldnt be found in other parts of the Philippines.

I'll end this post by listing my versions of the flipside opportunity/positives to those negatives ive read on this thread:
1) P4P is getting too expensive and low quality
-Check out cambodia/thailand or other parts of the philippines, practice negotiating better, go to less frequented areas, be resourceful
2) The best middle class/upper class girls are leaving
-Approach them before they leave, make yourself attractive to this target group, make yourself more attractive, workout, dress better
3)Manila and many cities are filthy, polluted and disgusting
-Stay on outskirts or base yourself nearby but out of the worst of the pollution
-Harsh environment may make people hungry for opportunities or jobs which you provide them with
-Eco business opportunity to clean up the city?
-Pay for cheap transportation for a girl you set a date with, many will travel anyway, focus on your area
-Base yourself on a boat/yacht away from city pollution
-Go to places like davao or similar
-Buy yourself a decent air filter, avoid outdoors air/wear quality filter mask outside, get lots of indoor plants
-Avoid polluted cities and travel to provinces/through rural areas/visit small towns and explore nature/get a motorbike/adventure (there are tons of hot girls visiting natural places too btw!)
4) Infrastructure sucks, prices suck
-Improvise without, become more self sufficient, avoid luxury import items
-grow own food e.g. malungay or moringa tree is one of worlds healthiest source of nutrition
5) Its harder to pickup quality girls
-Use a better system, become efficient
-Use 80/20 rule be unconventional and highly effective
-Become more attractive and improve your methods, and certai game methods DO work~ certain behaviors are more attractive than others (duh)
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

MJay1978 wrote: I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to talk to this woman ever again. I lost all interest in the Philippines after this encounter with a Filipino woman online. I think the Russians and Ukrainians are more of my cup of tea since they have more of an orthodox background. Also they have more of a feminine projection in regards to interaction and connecting with other people. They also don't carry bitch behavior and don't curse like sailors. My point to this post is I agree with Mr. S after this unpleasant encounter I had with a Filipino woman online. I see they're starting to change and become more familiar/influenced by the Western culture via social media and the internet. I decided it is best if I stay away from the Philippines and not even bother to pursue and search for happiness with Filipino women after this unfortunate experience. But my story along with others is a sign as far as changes taking place in some parts of the world due to new technology, the internet, and Western social media.
Come on, are you serious? You are quitting the Philippines just cause of ONE bad woman? Geez. There are tons and tons of sweet girls there you will be missing out on. You can't judge a whole country based on one person. That's too extreme and illogical. You need to talk to more FIlipina girls first before judging like that. You can use DateinAsia.com to meet tons of Filipinas for free. Just create a profile and you will get lots of messages. Put your location as Manila, Cebu or Angeles City, and see what happens. You'll be bombarded with many messages. You can't give up just cause of one bad woman. That's ridiculous. You know that. If you change your plans on a whim like that, it makes you look very unstable. Don't do that.

Btw, I'm still meeting some cute sexy Filipina girls on DateinAsia. Ask Rock and Ghost. I've shown them photos of Filipinas I met there recently, who wrote me first! And they both said she was pretty and sexy. So it's still a great free dating site.

Btw, my co-brand dating site has plenty of Russian/Ukrainian women, if that's what you want to try now. You can create a profile here and see if they write you.

http://dating.happierabroad.com
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

publicduende wrote:

Winston, have you every checked out Davao City? I have been living there for almost a year now (with a couple of breaks back in the UK/Italy) and I have found it to be just the right mix of metropolitan and suburban/provincial lifestyle. The traffic is bearable, the air is fresh and not so sticky even when very humid, even being caught under the pouring rain is a great experience, as you can feel fresh and clean water on your skin. There are very decent parks and wild nature is very close by. The malls are numerous, large and can provide for any need.

Then with the election of Mayor Duterte as the 16th President, Davao will see a massive boom in public and private infrastructure investment.

These are but a couple of projects that will be enriching Davao and its populace soon:
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/792194/dut ... t-in-davao
http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php ... &id=128615

What everybody (including I) hope for Davao is that its development will be more organic and less chaotic than what happened to Cebu, which has a highly industrialised and saturated urban area that's maybe 1/10th of that of Davao.

As for the women...I found them to be simple and maybe less intellectually stimulating than those you could find in some parts of Manila. There is a stark feeling that the best and the brightest will have left Davao for Metro Manila, Singapore or the States anyway, and those who stay are the hopeless ones. Having said that, I do know a fair share of foreigners who are living a happy life with the Filipina cutie of choice - the key here is definitely to enjoy a simple life and not ask too much.
No I haven't. But I've heard from various sources that people in Davao are more generous and that the girls there are not as greedy and won't ask you for money as much, in comparison to Angeles City at least. Rock and several expats told me that. Is that so? What brought you to Davao?

I also heard the city was cleaner too, due to strict no-littering laws. But some people say Davao is dangerous because Mindanao has terrorists which sometimes attack tourists in Davao. Is that so? People also complain that there's nothing to do at night there because there's no nightlife and everything closes early. Is that true? Some say the girls are more conservative too. But Will N Dowd seems to have done well there.

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

My experience with Davao is that people there are less friendly than even in Manila. There are lots and lots of men- many tall and good looking. Lots of idle men just standing on the corners like cholos. The girls are more stuck up, shy and scared of men. And everyone is way more reserved and suspicious. Nights are sausage fests. I tried dancing and wasn't even noticed at a club. Probably, the least friendly people were in Davao from the whole of the Philippines. But that being the Philippines, you can still meet girls there,it's just that it's gonna be hard.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

ladislav wrote:My experience with Davao is that people there are less friendly than even in Manila. There are lots and lots of men- many tall and good looking. Lots of idle men just standing on the corners like cholos. The girls are more stuck up, shy and scared of men. And everyone is way more reserved and suspicious. Nights are sausage fests. I tried dancing and wasn't even noticed at a club. Probably, the least friendly people were in Davao from the whole of the Philippines. But that being the Philippines, you can still meet girls there,it's just that it's gonna be hard.
Thanks for weighing in. How long ago did you go to Davao? It could be out of personal experience only, but I have met far warmer and friendlier people in Davao (and its surroundings) than in Manila (and its surroundings). My feeling is that people in certain parts of Metro Manila are simply too preoccupied with the living hell of their daily routine (commute, work, eat, work, commute back) to be kind to their fellow humans, or even curious about what goes on around them. Looking at the hordes of people crossing the street like robots, dodging jeepney and munching their fast food burger while walking...it often felt like being in a Chinese city.

Of course I have, in Davao City, met worldly and well educated as well as the masa specimen, but what struck me is that any of them regardless of gender, age and status seemed to show at least some passing interest in me, especially one they learned that I might be in Davao for the long haul. That definitely didn't happen in Makati or BGC, if anything because the sight of a foreigner dressed in khaki and blue shirt is so much more common.

Davao doesn't have a superb nightlife, that is to be conceded. There is only a handful of bars where one can veritably see some actual "youth scene" and entertain one or three well dressed, decently-spoken girls. If you were there a few years ago, you might have been hitting the venues in Torres Street, now almost all defunct, and nothing to write home about anyway.

To partly vindicate your opinion, I too got the impression that mature men are not seen under a particularly good light. Most of the girls I met in clubs and trendy bars barely noticed me and I had to be quite "noisy" and proactive to elicit their attention, or more. The only easy ones are those who would hang around anybody who will buy them drinks, but nobody would expect much of an enlightened conversation from them (although they might expect something else to come later, in more private settings). Perhaps one of the reasons is that, in a city almost devoid of the wealthy single expat type unlike Manila or Cebu, the young are for the young and it would be unthinkable for a girl to dance with a man twice her age, unless he looks like a seasoned version of Ryan Gosling or a non-gay Piolo Pascual.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Personal experiences in travel vary greatly. I was there for about 12 days.

Two people went to the same place and saw two completely different things and ran into completely different people. It's because travel time was not enough. If we stay for years, then the law of averages kicks in and it all averages out. We start seeing more and more of the same thing and agreeing on it. But short stays are limited by the wild card of luck with other factors such as your looks, age, location, the time of day/month/year, social climate, etc, etc.

Having said that, all of Mindanao seems to have a great many more men vs. women than Manila or Cebu on the streets in terms of ratios. I did not measure them scientifically with a calculator and a clipboard but you just see guys more and more. Younger guys, too. Possibly because many women go to Manila to work and many men from Manila leave for other countries. So, you stand on the street corner in Manila and you just see more and more girls.

As far as friendliness and warmth, again, it is limited to the wild and arbitrary card of luck. It's as if you throw dice into the air and they land, and that's the combination you have to deal with at that moment. Another person throws them up and he has another combination. I found Davaenos to have a high % of dour and sullen people. I smiled many times and they didn't smile back. There was also no playfulness of Cebu. Everyone seemed to be way more reserved and stuck up. More provincial.

Anyway, let the readers listen to you experience and mine and then draw conclusions. They are both equally valid, and let them decide.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

ladislav wrote:Personal experiences in travel vary greatly. I was there for about 12 days.

Two people went to the same place and saw two completely different things and ran into completely different people. It's because travel time was not enough. If we stay for years, then the law of averages kicks in and it all averages out. We start seeing more and more of the same thing and agreeing on it. But short stays are limited by the wild card of luck with other factors such as your looks, age, location, the time of day/month/year, social climate, etc, etc.

Having said that, all of Mindanao seems to have a great many more men vs. women than Manila or Cebu on the streets in terms of ratios. I did not measure them scientifically with a calculator and a clipboard but you just see guys more and more. Younger guys, too. Possibly because many women go to Manila to work and many men from Manila leave for other countries. So, you stand on the street corner in Manila and you just see more and more girls.

As far as friendliness and warmth, again, it is limited to the wild and arbitrary card of luck. It's as if you throw dice into the air and they land, and that's the combination you have to deal with at that moment. Another person throws them up and he has another combination. I found Davaenos to have a high % of dour and sullen people. I smiled many times and they didn't smile back. There was also no playfulness of Cebu. Everyone seemed to be way more reserved and stuck up. More provincial.

Anyway, let the readers listen to you experience and mine and then draw conclusions. They are both equally valid, and let them decide.
I absolutely love your take here, Lad. A seasoned traveller's wisdom indeed. On short trips (short periods of time), variance across opinions is overly influenced by matters of emotional biases ("first time is always best"), personality and chance. It's only over longer stretches of time that the reality of living in a different locale, interacting with the locals, their culture and customs, sets in. And that's when the traveller's opinion "converges" to a more predictable mean.

Which leaves me with a bittersweet observation: we all know and respect your life experience but, honest, how many of the people on this forum (and alongside the happier abroad theme) gave the Philippines a serious chance of settling and working there? I know Mr S did it, with mixed results.

I was in Davao and briefly Manila 3 years ago and, yes, my observation was positively biased because it was all fresh and exciting...plus I wasn't there working 14 hours a day in an air-conditioned office. Now I lost the flashy cloak of the tourist, the notion of working in a different country and culture, under a different socio-cultural norm, forced to learn often inconsistent regulations, dawned on me. The stress of running an office almost alone (I have a great admin assistant, but she's only with me 3 days a week) plus having to consult for a client for 6/8 hours a day 4-to-5 days a week, it's stress alright whether I perform my duties in Davao or Dulwich Village. It's not fun in the Philippines...it's a veritable pain in the a*se :)

Still, I haven't lost the resolve to give the Land of the Morning a serious chance. I know it's not the Philippines' fault. It's the birth pain of any startup worth its salt. I have wonderful friends who are helping me making my life there that much smoother and pleasant, and I have the hope that all my efforts and sacrifices (financial, no less) will build something not just me, but Davaoenos will be proud of.

My relationship with my wife is at a point where it might be easier to call it a day, but neither of us have had the guts to cut the umbilical cord to this moment. We know how precious we still are to each other, and neither of us has found somebody worth leaving the other for. Again, I lost my naivety long ago: finding a good woman/man is akin to a minor lottery win in its own right. Then the compound probability of both falling in love with each other makes it looks like the stuff miracles are made of.

Miracles do happen, though.
Last edited by publicduende on July 17th, 2016, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Winston wrote:No I haven't. But I've heard from various sources that people in Davao are more generous and that the girls there are not as greedy and won't ask you for money as much, in comparison to Angeles City at least. Rock and several expats told me that. Is that so? What brought you to Davao?

I also heard the city was cleaner too, due to strict no-littering laws. But some people say Davao is dangerous because Mindanao has terrorists which sometimes attack tourists in Davao. Is that so? People also complain that there's nothing to do at night there because there's no nightlife and everything closes early. Is that true? Some say the girls are more conservative too. But Will N Dowd seems to have done well there.
I have never been to Angeles City but, if the girls who go with foreigners are what I think they are, they will be used to asking something in return for their services, whether it's a one-night stand or 2 weeks of "all-inclusive gf experience".

To be honest, since I was there 3 years ago, I did notice that the number of girls who are used to hanging around foreigners for some material benefit has increased considerably. Of course the amount of benefits they might be asking for will be more modest...the more destitute they are, the more they will appreciate whatever help you can give them and their families, or so I like to think.

This means men who are looking for fun will have a larger playground. Conversely, it also means that finding a gem worth a LTR is getting harder than before. I do agree with Ladislav, that Davao is still more provincial than most of Metro Manila and even Cebu, and the "good girls" from better-off, more traditional families, will see a foreigner, even a young and eligible one, as an unknown quantity and be reluctant to commit to them.

What brought me to Davao? A semi-random holiday to Samal before Xmas 2012, followed by 2 wonderful weeks in Medellin with my wife. I then returned for 3 more months in 2013 and made some good friends. Then around summer last year, I decided to set up shop there are give Davao another go. Little did I know that Mr Duterte would grab the most coveted seat in the country, that of President, and take Davao off the uneventful space that is Mindanao and into the spotlight as the "role model community" of the Philippines.
tuonsai
Freshman Poster

Post by tuonsai »

I've been going back to the Philippines for about 5 years and interestingly and my attitude keeps swinging back and forth.
My first trip in 2010 definitely blew me away like nothing I could imagine. I had the best time of my life. I never got that feeling again though. After that it was more a question of developing
a relationship with a country and finding a place I liked. If you go there with a good attitude, good things will happen to you.

My first trip (5 wks): totally blew me away, so much fun, I loved the Philippines, started learning Tagalog

My second trip (5 months): tried to live there in various cities, got really sick of Philippines left with a bad attitude

Third trip (2 weeks): Had an awesome time, reevaluated, decided I want to spend more time

Fourth trip (4 weeks): Total culture shock of how much Filipinos imitate Americans, got really pissed, cut my trip short

After... realized I had a bad attitude on my last trip and realize Philippines needs to be accepted for what it is, realized how many good things there
and how unique it is. And how different it is based on where you go.

Now ... looking forward very much to my next trip and realizing how much it depends on me.