It's (no) more fun in the Philippines.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

chanta76 wrote:hammamta,

From reading other people;s blog regarding the Philippines and even Thailand. The countries change compared to the 1980 and even the 1990's's to now. Obvious there would be changes but because of the internet and over mongering both countries went down in quality.

It's like the internet advertise sex tourism and advertise go to Asia the women are easy. Every low life and sex addicts are going there and over pasteurizing the place . The women there see expats as either sex tourist and have their guard up and the scammers come out. The decent girls have their guard up. In a way the expats did it to themselves by being too greedy .
I agree that the country probably has changed since the 80s and even 90s (though I wasn't there then), hell the whole world has changed. But I feel a lot of guys complaining (not necessarily the OP) how it has changed seem to be talking about a change in a matter of a few years. And if this is the case I feel it is rather a change in the persons own perceptions than the country overall.

I mean just look at the way Will N Dowd's posts have gone from "I was a God" to doom and gloom in a matter of a year or so. Very few guys go there with the intention of finding a quality girl. Some say they are but as soon as that first bar girl ask them if they want some boom boom their intentions go down the drain.
MrMark1972
Freshman Poster

Post by MrMark1972 »

Well despite the many negative opinions,on this board,I guess I will form my own opinion this winter as I have just purchased my plane ticket this afternoon.I touch down in Angeles on January 18th,gonna stay there and get the P4P out of my system for about ten days(I need that as post-divorce therapy lol),then it's off to a nice modern condo in Cebu for four weeks....I'm planning on lining up some girls online from December,but I won't hold my breath as I'm sure 75% will flake out.Well,worse comes to worse even if it turns out to be a disappointing country at least I'll be away from the snow and cold for almost six weeks :D
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

@MrMark1972

Have a good trip! As I said in my previous posting in this thread, there is no reason why not to visit Philippines for a short time, a few weeks or even a few months while being financially secure.

However if you consider retirement or otherwise longstay or even relocation and you have a regular income or savings, I think there are other countries in Asia and elsewhere which are offering better conditions.

Philippines has some advantages, like easy visa for longstay, everything you need regarding authorities, real estate property, medical care etc. done in English, possible to buy your own condominium unit, ATM services operating well, friendly communicative people ...

Philippines has however also disadvantages, security is a major concern wherever you go, large parts of the cities and even around villages are nothing but a slum, streets are often full with garbage, plenty of troubles with natural disasters like flood, earthquakes etc., plenty of stuff of any kind has to be imported and is therefore not so cheap...

If you are looking for a permanent stay in Philippines, you have to consider those issues, but of course if you come as a tourist and have your return ticket in your pocket there is nothing to worry about.

About myself, I am visiting Philippines since more than 30 years, we also have Philippine office staff here in Tokyo, and I take care of a Filipina fosterdaughter since almost 10 years. I usually stay about 5 to 10 days in Cebu several times a year and have a nice time with Philippine people I know since many years. It is easy to travel to Philippines from Japan.

My overall impression about Philippines: Shorttime vacation = YES, longstay and retirement = NO

It should be noticed that it is easy, if you have enough time in Philippines to visit other countries nearby, there are daily many cheap international flights to Malaysia, Thailand, HongKong, South Korea...
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

MrMark1972 wrote:Well despite the many negative opinions,on this board,I guess I will form my own opinion this winter as I have just purchased my plane ticket this afternoon.I touch down in Angeles on January 18th,gonna stay there and get the P4P out of my system for about ten days(I need that as post-divorce therapy lol),then it's off to a nice modern condo in Cebu for four weeks....I'm planning on lining up some girls online from December,but I won't hold my breath as I'm sure 75% will flake out.Well,worse comes to worse even if it turns out to be a disappointing country at least I'll be away from the snow and cold for almost six weeks :D
Have you been to the country before? At least you aren't coming in with an overly optimistic point of view. Angeles is a whole other world if you haven't been to a place as such before. Make sure you book your room on walking street if you are looking for P4P. Morals go out the window lol. I personally did not partake in that scene though or at least P4P, but did book my room on walking street while visiting friends. I wanted to see what all the Hub bub was about. It was still a cool place nonetheless, with amazing clubs, strip joints, bars, etc. By day it is peaceful but by night the place gets wild. If you get tired of endless sex and booze, check out Mt. Pinatubo or take a short bus trip to Tarlac and see their massive WW2 memorial called Capas National Shrine. Puts the Vietnam Memorial in DC to shame. Here is a picture I took:

MrMark1972
Freshman Poster

Post by MrMark1972 »

hammanta wrote:
MrMark1972 wrote:Well despite the many negative opinions,on this board,I guess I will form my own opinion this winter as I have just purchased my plane ticket this afternoon.I touch down in Angeles on January 18th,gonna stay there and get the P4P out of my system for about ten days(I need that as post-divorce therapy lol),then it's off to a nice modern condo in Cebu for four weeks....I'm planning on lining up some girls online from December,but I won't hold my breath as I'm sure 75% will flake out.Well,worse comes to worse even if it turns out to be a disappointing country at least I'll be away from the snow and cold for almost six weeks :D
Have you been to the country before? At least you aren't coming in with an overly optimistic point of view. Angeles is a whole other world if you haven't been to a place as such before. Make sure you book your room on walking street if you are looking for P4P. Morals go out the window lol. I personally did not partake in that scene though or at least P4P, but did book my room on walking street while visiting friends. I wanted to see what all the Hub bub was about. It was still a cool place nonetheless, with amazing clubs, strip joints, bars, etc. By day it is peaceful but by night the place gets wild. If you get tired of endless sex and booze, check out Mt. Pinatubo or take a short bus trip to Tarlac and see their massive WW2 memorial called Capas National Shrine. Puts the Vietnam Memorial in DC to shame. Here is a picture I took:
Cool pic man!...nice.Actually no I've never been to the Phils,this is my cherry trip and I've never been to SEA before so I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed by the bright neon lights and scantily clad gals...and after that grows tiresome I'm off to Cebu and I'll play it by ear from there.If I land a nice chick I'll maybe do the Boracay thing etc.
The only thing that has me nervous is the high risk of stomach/GI infections.Despite precautions I always get sick for a day or two down in Mexico,so this is gonna be ten times worse...lol

:oops:
MrMark1972
Freshman Poster

Post by MrMark1972 »

Thanks for the good tips Yohan....if nothing else it wil be a nice vacation.And if it turns out that there is an actual possibility of part-time relocation,well that will take several trips to finalize.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

Cool pic man!...nice.Actually no I've never been to the Phils,this is my cherry trip and I've never been to SEA before so I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed by the bright neon lights and scantily clad gals...and after that grows tiresome I'm off to Cebu and I'll play it by ear from there.If I land a nice chick I'll maybe do the Boracay thing etc.
The only thing that has me nervous is the high risk of stomach/GI infections.Despite precautions I always get sick for a day or two down in Mexico,so this is gonna be ten times worse...lol
I've had no problems with intestinal stuff while there though, I admit my longest stay was only a month at a time. Perhaps I am a lucky one. I did have chills, shaking, and a fever one night though that subsided in the morning. Could have been the food. I thought I had Malaria lol I must say its a scary feeling being alone in a foreign country and thinking you are seriously sick.

Nevertheless good luck with your trip. Let me know if you have any questions or need tips.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 1st, 2019, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMark1972
Freshman Poster

Post by MrMark1972 »

hammanta wrote:
I've had no problems with intestinal stuff while there though, I admit my longest stay was only a month at a time. Perhaps I am a lucky one. I did have chills, shaking, and a fever one night though that subsided in the morning. Could have been the food. I thought I had Malaria lol I must say its a scary feeling being alone in a foreign country and thinking you are seriously sick.

Nevertheless good luck with your trip. Let me know if you have any questions or need tips.
Thanks brother...appreciate it!...so far so good,got lots of good pointers from Starchild and Pete and I'm always open to good advice :D
MrMark1972
Freshman Poster

Post by MrMark1972 »

Ghost wrote:
This is exactly how it's meant to be done. Phils is for p4p. Just get in, do your business, and get out. Hopefully those girls you're planning to meet in Cebu will be sluts already; I hope you didn't mean you were going to monger normal good girls in Cebu.
No,I'm not there to break hearts...I'm hoping to meet a nice girl in Cebu but I'm not being overly optimistic in that regard.Here's what sucks about the whole deal....say I do meet a great gal,how do I know what she's up to when I'm on my way back home?!She could be back with her Filipino bf or worse yet,playing the next foreigner...no way to trust her unless I'm there living with her.One day at a time...I can't overthink this....
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 1st, 2019, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMark1972
Freshman Poster

Post by MrMark1972 »

Ghost wrote:
MrMark1972 wrote:
Ghost wrote:
This is exactly how it's meant to be done. Phils is for p4p. Just get in, do your business, and get out. Hopefully those girls you're planning to meet in Cebu will be sluts already; I hope you didn't mean you were going to monger normal good girls in Cebu.
No,I'm not there to break hearts...I'm hoping to meet a nice girl in Cebu but I'm not being overly optimistic in that regard.Here's what sucks about the whole deal....say I do meet a great gal,how do I know what she's up to when I'm on my way back home?!She could be back with her Filipino bf or worse yet,playing the next foreigner...no way to trust her unless I'm there living with her.One day at a time...I can't overthink this....
I had the same concerns, being in a long distance relationship with a Filipina. I actually wondered is she was cheating on me when I was there. She would stay at the office for a long time almost every night. So living with your girl is the only way to go, IMO. She could still cheat but at least you will be more likely to know. Philippines is a tough place to live. If you find the girl you want, you can always take her out of the Phils and elsewhere in the world. (Not the West!) That way she won't have family and friends covering for her infidelity and you could throw her out in the streets without trouble. I know this all may sound harsh, but I take infidelity as a very dire thing.
I agree with you...cheating=end of relationship.But I am a long way from anything like that.Let me get my boots on the ground,stay healthy and try meeting/dating.At that point we will review the discussion and options. :D
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

davewe wrote:My good friend and his Pinay wife, who at first were going to definitely retire in PI, now are leaning toward staying in the US. Why? He likes walking on sidewalks and in parks. That's literally the biggest thing he misses when he goes abroad. Me? I couldn't care less about that. I'll walk on the beach and look at the ocean and cute girls.
Sorry Dave, I know this might be a pedantic remark on a relatively minor point in the bigger picture but, couldn't help thinking as I read the above - the Philippines have 7000 islands and islets of outstanding natural beauty, with a mangrove forest or a coral reef never too far, and your good friend is missing leafy sidewalks and man-manicured urban parks? :)
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Filipinos are filthy pigs.Period. Hard to argue otherwise

Image :roll: :lol: :lol:
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

^^^^^^^^ Ever been to Detroit?

I mean every developing country has there shitty areas but trash like that is mainly seen in Manila, which we all know is filthy. And those people laying on the street are either homeless and/or really poor. I mean not even the mongerers of mongerers would go for girls like that.