Thinking of going to HK - Advice needed

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
dazua
Freshman Poster

Thinking of going to HK - Advice needed

Post by dazua »

Hi, been lurking for a while now. I'm thinking of going to HK and maybe Shenzhen and a few other places but I'm getting a bit dubious as to whether I'll actually have success with attractive women there - there seem to be a lot of mixed opinions about HK.
I was looking through a few of the HK dating sites and was quite surprised about how low the quality of women are on these sites. 90% of them aren't above a 6.5. I've had better in my own country - that's saying something considering the luck I've had here has been essentially non-existent. I've also heard the girls there are very materialistic. I was pretty set to go but now I'm not so sure..I want your opinions.

About myself: I'm looking for casual girlfriends/fun/hanging out at first, not opposed with it leading to something more. White, Early 20's, 6ft, slim/athletic build, I'd consider myself a very good looking guy. But probably like some of you here, I'm extremely introverted and shy. Unfortunately, guys with personalities like this have little value in society here (Aus). That's why I'm leaving. I should also say that I won't have a lot of money going over there (this may change if I commit to doing online business/dropshipping there, which I've had success with before), so I can't exactly go around flashing cash and spoiling girls - I don't want that anyway.

Not interested in going to the Philippines or any other very poor countries, girls that want me to escape poverty is a huge turn off, plus I need high speed, reliable internet.

Should I go?
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

If you have no money then most asian first world environments are surely off the table. I would normally recommend Singapore for someone with your stats but you'll go bust real fast if you don't have outside income.

I don't know what your big hangup with developing world countries are though. Not every girl is looking for a meal ticket.
dazua
Freshman Poster

Post by dazua »

I should be ok - I know people that went over there for months with half the budget I'm going with and had fun (not the sort of people to ask about girls, unfortunately). From what I can tell Australia seems to be more expensive than HK in all aspects besides accommodation. I was more paranoid of girls expecting to be paid to hang out - something I read elsewhere so it may not be true.

I haven't heard a lot about Singapore on here, why would you recommend it?

Developing countries are more of a preference, I much prefer the look of cantonese/korean/japanese girls and want to minimise my chances of encountering scams and other dodgy crap as I'm travelling alone.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Welcome, dazua.

I am no expert on twentysomethings OR Asia.

BUT I will share 2 thoughts I had reading your intro:

(1) Culturally, China is a good choice for you, as would be Korea and Japan. Drop shipping may be easier from China, business opportunities in Japan and Korea may be more niche, tougher to break into. If you can find a business niche in Japan, it might be interesting. But nothing wrong with Northern China for you. If you need to start in HK, fine, but take a look at the North later.

(2) Being an introvert, who wants peer-to-peer casual relationships, with no sponsoring etc, you need to run some kind of "aloof game" that makes you cool without you having to do actual approaches. Playing guitar, for example, is a classic "aloof game" method for introverted guys. But in China in particular, the right move is a business that is visible to locals. Don't work from home. Work from an office, even if it's shared at first. Be seen as a serious entrepreneur.

After establishing yourself that way, then as local honeys start approaching you, don't date them. Take them out as platonic dates, or even in pairs, to cultural events of some type. Performances, museums, hiking, etc. Get out, be seen, soak up the culture. You want the kind of friends you don't have to chatter to a lot, or spend a lot of money on. Be the cool guy.

Good luck.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Thinking of going to HK - Advice needed

Post by Taco »

dazua wrote: Not interested in going to the Philippines or any other very poor countries, girls that want me to escape poverty is a huge turn off, plus I need high speed, reliable internet.
Most Asian guys are shy and quiet too so you should feel comfortable if your among them. However, its a huge mistake to assume Filipinas just want you for your money, that's slandering poor people. There are thousands of successful relationships between Western men and Filipinas and I'm proof of that. Filipinas are friendlier and have milder personalities but Chinese women are more beautiful in my opinion. Chinese women are also very materialistic and Shenzhen is full women that don't have hope in hell of getting married. You should go to Shenzhen and then to Makati(fast internet service) and see which place you like the most.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Thinking of going to HK - Advice needed

Post by zboy1 »

Taco wrote:
dazua wrote: Not interested in going to the Philippines or any other very poor countries, girls that want me to escape poverty is a huge turn off, plus I need high speed, reliable internet.
Most Asian guys are shy and quiet too so you should feel comfortable if your among them. However, its a huge mistake to assume Filipinas just want you for your money, that's slandering poor people. There are thousands of successful relationships between Western men and Filipinas and I'm proof of that. Filipinas are friendlier and have milder personalities but Chinese women are more beautiful in my opinion. Chinese women are also very materialistic and Shenzhen is full women that don't have hope in hell of getting married. You should go to Shenzhen and then to Makati(fast internet service) and see which place you like the most.
Dazua, avoid Shenzhen like the plague! I know...I was there for nearly a year. The women there are very materialistic and generally gold-diggers. I suggest going to the Philippines instead. I'll probably head there next year, too.