Why can't Filipinas accept compliments?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Why can't Filipinas accept compliments?

Post by Hero »

Every time I try to tell one that she's pretty or cute, she denies it. One of them even seemed to get angry when I insisted that she was cute. Why can't they just say "Thank you"?? Modesty is fine but that doesn't mean insulting a guy by rejecting his compliments.
MrBlueLight
Freshman Poster

Re: Why can't Filipinas accept compliments?

Post by MrBlueLight »

"I am ugly, I am fat". Says a cute girl who weighs 90lbs, lol.

But then again, I find the Pinays who accept such compliment as if it's no big deal to all be the entitled egotistical bitches.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

MrBlueLight wrote:"I am ugly, I am fat". Says a cute girl who weighs 90lbs, lol.

But then again, I find the Pinays who accept such compliment as if it's no big deal to all be the entitled egotistical bitches.
There's got to be a happy medium between hot girls who think they're ugly, and fat old bitches who think they're hot.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

I think Flips may be the most modest people on earth. Can be good or bad, depending on situation. I think this is ONE reason they are attracted to American men, hot dogs that we are.

Theoretically, this should make a natural match. Like rocky Balboa removing Adrienne's glasses in "Rocky", making her feel beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX8FXgKIPuQ

But I agree with the OP, for me it is a turnoff if she puts her looks down.

PS Thats MY job :wink:
jk
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

some of them will say that but then later once you get to know them you find out its just modest joking and they actually have a huge ego.
mentor
Freshman Poster

Post by mentor »

Are there any explanations for this attitude?
If they want just to be real and they does not accept exaggerating, I did not find it so bad.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

mentor wrote:Are there any explanations for this attitude?
If they want just to be real and they does not accept exaggerating, I did not find it so bad.
Maybe Filipinas think that a man will be intimidated if the Filipina is too beautiful, smart, talented, or successful.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

If they're modest, let them be modest. And don't compliment them too much on their looks. Compliment them on their character more. If she says she's ugly, say that you like her particular type of ugliness.
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

mentor
Freshman Poster

Post by mentor »

Johnny1975 wrote:If they're modest, let them be modest. And don't compliment them too much on their looks. Compliment them on their character more. If she says she's ugly, say that you like her particular type of ugliness.
I think this is a wise tactic.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

I've sometimes wondered why men tend to feel the need to let women know how hot they think they are. It's almost like it would be some kind of injustice if she didn't know. I've been trying to get over this need myself and it's actually easy. Just remember that her looks is not her. Her physical body is nothing but a thing that she carries around with her. A gift from God to her, which should then be a gift from her to you. It's her gift, it's not her. It's not to be loved, it's to be enjoyed. If you want to compliment her, compliment her personality so that it will encourage her to seek more compliments by being a good person. Meanwhile, keep your admiration of that thing that she carries around to yourself. It's none of her business really how hot you think she is.
mentor
Freshman Poster

Post by mentor »

Johnny1975 wrote:I've sometimes wondered why men tend to feel the need to let women know how hot they think they are. It's almost like it would be some kind of injustice if she didn't know. I've been trying to get over this need myself and it's actually easy. Just remember that her looks is not her. Her physical body is nothing but a thing that she carries around with her. A gift from God to her, which should then be a gift from her to you. It's her gift, it's not her. It's not to be loved, it's to be enjoyed. If you want to compliment her, compliment her personality so that it will encourage her to seek more compliments by being a good person. Meanwhile, keep your admiration of that thing that she carries around to yourself. It's none of her business really how hot you think she is.
May be you do not know it, but christian saints who dealt with these things, told the same thing!
Praise the inner beauty of a person!
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Johnny1975 wrote: Her physical body is nothing but a thing that she carries around with her. A gift from God to her, which should then be a gift from her to you. It's her gift, it's not her. It's not to be loved, it's to be enjoyed. If you want to compliment her, compliment her personality so that it will encourage her to seek more compliments by being a good person. Meanwhile, keep your admiration of that thing that she carries around to yourself.
The problem with that kind of thinking is that women use it as an excuse to totally let themselves go and devolve into fat f***ing pigs. Too many women think that their physical appearance shouldn't matter as long as they have a wonderful personality. It's possible to have both inner AND outer beauty.
mentor
Freshman Poster

Post by mentor »

Hero wrote:Every time I try to tell one that she's pretty or cute, she denies it. One of them even seemed to get angry when I insisted that she was cute. Why can't they just say "Thank you"?? Modesty is fine but that doesn't mean insulting a guy by rejecting his compliments.
I wonder, what percentage of filipinas behave like this?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 20th, 2020, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.