SM Mall Filipinas

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
MrBlueLight
Freshman Poster

Re: SM Mall Filipinas

Post by MrBlueLight »

Hero wrote:
Mr S wrote: Doing things alone is actually a good way to meet girls in PI cause they automatically think you're lonely or depressed and they will try to chat you up and all that. It's a bit tiresome if you ARE an actual loner like myself and are constantly assaulted by locals trying to have simple conversations with me or help me with something in stores when i just want to be left alone.
Agreed, I was eating lunch by myself in Jollibee's and the manager of the place sat down at the table with me uninvited and practically threw herself at me. I thought her behavior was kind of a turn-off. Too aggressive for my taste.
Being an Asian, I've NEVER had a local man or woman just chatting me up when I am alone. It just doesn't happen. Advice for a guy who has no exotic value?
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

MrBlueLight wrote:
Hero wrote:
Mr S wrote: Doing things alone is actually a good way to meet girls in PI cause they automatically think you're lonely or depressed and they will try to chat you up and all that. It's a bit tiresome if you ARE an actual loner like myself and are constantly assaulted by locals trying to have simple conversations with me or help me with something in stores when i just want to be left alone.
Agreed, I was eating lunch by myself in Jollibee's and the manager of the place sat down at the table with me uninvited and practically threw herself at me. I thought her behavior was kind of a turn-off. Too aggressive for my taste.
Being an Asian, I've NEVER had a local man or woman just chatting me up when I am alone. It just doesn't happen. Advice for a guy who has no exotic value?

They really dont do it if your white either. Thats just false optisim as usual by posters on happier abroad.
MrBlueLight
Freshman Poster

Post by MrBlueLight »

But I am in Manila after all. So maybe experiences in Cebu, Davao, or the provinces will be different.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

MrBlueLight wrote: Being an Asian, I've NEVER had a local man or woman just chatting me up when I am alone. It just doesn't happen. Advice for a guy who has no exotic value?
You just have to be a little more aggressive. It will be hard at first, but it will get easier after you score with a few girls.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:They really dont do it if your white either. Thats just false optisim as usual by posters on happier abroad.
Well, I guess that I must be exceptionally handsome, because it really did happen to me :D
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

I don't think I've ever been approached by anyone in public in Metro Manila for social chat. Taxi drivers often chat with me though when I'm in their cabs. But I tend to carry a leave me alone vibe and walk like I know where I'm going when I'm out and about and I think people can pick-up on that. Perhaps if you look lost, easily approachable, and are an obvious foreigner, you might attract a bit of attention but I don't know. Some people just seem to attract more social attention than others whether in Philippines or elsewhere.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

MrBlueLight wrote:
Hero wrote:
You might have to make the first move. I see Japanese and Korean guys at the immigration office with Filipina girlfriends all the time.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
MrBlueLight
Freshman Poster

Post by MrBlueLight »

Well, I am pretty sure I score with way more Filipinas than typical Japanese and Korean guys.

But I was talking about getting approached randomly, which just doesn't happen to me. I don't see white expats getting approached either. So maybe people in Manila are just less friendlier compared to people in other parts of the country, or maybe foreigners have less value here.
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

Johnny1975 wrote:
Hero wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:
Hero wrote:
Taco wrote:Well, first she made me a shrimp dinner when I arrived. Then she followed me into her bedroom when I went to get my camera, threw her arms around my neck and started kissing me. About 2 hours after dinner everyone had left and I went into her bedroom again to get something and she followed me, locked the door, started kissing me, pushed me on the bed and got on top of me. So, to answer your question. Yes, she raped me the first time we met.
LOL that sounds exactly like the first time I had sex with a Filipina. I got raped by several others after that. These women are not shy about sex :D
What about the good girls? You know, the bible reading, church going types? Those are my favourites. What are they like? Is it hard to get them to loosen up?
Dude, those religious girls are the loosest of all. :lol:
Tell me more........
Go to church heathen. It's even true in the states. Ok.. the only reason to go to church is for p***y..
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

MrBlueLight wrote:Well, I am pretty sure I score with way more Filipinas than typical Japanese and Korean guys.

But I was talking about getting approached randomly, which just doesn't happen to me. I don't see white expats getting approached either. So maybe people in Manila are just less friendlier compared to people in other parts of the country, or maybe foreigners have less value here.
I dont think thast the reason. I think the only time you will get approached is if your in the province or something. IN cebu or any other big city i dont think the girls really go out of their way to approach guys. They certainly are more flirtatious than american women but its not like you go somewhere and some hot 7 looking girl starts talking to you out of nowhere. Maybe in the province? Who knows i dont go to provinces by myself.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Taco wrote:Mr. S,

I was just wondering if you could recommend some good restaurants at the mall since most are crap at its finest. If you eat at the mall you don't want your Filipina picking the restaurant, I know that. The only places I've been to that have been edible so far are Mang Inasal, McDonalds and Greenwich Pizza.

If you want to call those edible...

What I've learned from living here is that all chains whether local or international are all about maximizing profits which in turn mean raising the price as high as they can while supplying the lowest quality food they can get the filipino suckers to consume. So basically there are no real worthy places to eat in malls for the most part unless you go to an upscale Ayala mall and are willing to dine at a higher end place but your meal will cost between 500-1000 pesos per person depending on what meal you get. I prefer not to spend that much money on food.

The only thing one can do is figure out what is the best deal on the menu regarding quality of food and the price. Each chain will have something on the menu that is maybe edible and okay price wise in comparison to other parts of the menu. Unfortunately, that takes time and money to discover, which I don't have the time or luxury to do so I've learned to just make my own food or just buy canned food and fruit/nuts and eat that rather than eating out. Eating some local sardines and fruit fills me up and its healthier than eating the crap that the food stalls sell.

Papa Johns pizza is probably the only pizza chain I recommend eating at, but I think they are only in Manila area. TGIF has good food but they are expensive. There is a Vietnamese noodle place that has good noodle soups, its called pho something I forget. It's a little expensive but they are tolerable. I've been to a few other places here and there that were okay, but I can't remember their names. I don't really eat out anymore so I'm pretty much useless in that department.

If you do have to eat out its best to find local small places that are owned by foreigners or Filipinos who have lived overseas and know the difference between what is true good food in comparison to what the local filipino thinks is good food. I generally find European expat owners of restaurants to have the best food, although they tend to be a bit more expensive but they buy better ingredients too.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
MrBlueLight wrote:
Hero wrote:

They really dont do it if your white either. Thats just false optisim as usual by posters on happier abroad.
This happens more often than you think but it does depend on one being in the right place at the right time an also how one carries themselves. Of course if you think you will get chatted up by just walking around thats probably not going to happen much, if at all. What I'm talking about is interacting with people while shopping or eating, that happens all the time and it's easy to strike up conversations with others if that's what you want to do. I really can't be bothered with it anymore but it does depend maybe a bit on what you look like and how friendly you appear to be. I don't have any issues if I want to converse with others, if I don't I just turn on my bad vibe switch and and they leave me alone. You just have to get in touch with how others perceive you and then turn it on or off at will, the attraction factor that is...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:Ok but if your gonna spend 6 months in phil, i wouldn't really want to spend my time with one girl who is busy working while im alone in the hotel for 5 to 6 days a week 8 to 10 hour days plus all the time it takes to get between work and you. Most mall girls and market girls and corporate girls do work those hours. But lets say they work regular hours in the best case scenario, thats still a lot of time to be wasting on one girl that may or may not work out. Would you spend 8,000 dollars for 6 months with a girl that isn't even gonna be there for 3/4 of your daylight hours? Probably not. Unless the girl looks like a model and you plan ot marry her. So its really difficult to go wife hunting. I think im not even gonna take a wife hunting search serious unless im practically ready to move there. Otherwise its too difficult. Id have to be really amazed to make an exception. I think its better just to enjoy other activities and just make lots of women friends and sightsee and not get focused on finding a wife so much cause youll be doomed for failure cause your only there for a limited time. If you move there thats a different story but most guys want to meet the girl of their dreams before they make that plunge.
See this is where we differ. I'm an independent person. I couldn't stand to have somebody with me most of the day, everyday. It would drive me insane. I need my space, my time to do things I want to do. If she works and I see her in the evening and weekends to me that is better than having her constantly around from morning to midnight. I have a high libido but I also don't need sex 3-4 times everyday to satisfy me. I need other things that stimulate me like exploration, exercise, and thought.

If you aren't too serious about the girl then keep her in a rotation while meeting other girls. That's the point in dating around. Therefor you have a steady stream of play. If you finally meet a girl you are serious about, then seeing her somewhat sparingly makes it all the more memorable when you are around them. From my experience too much of a good thing turns into a bad thing. I remember taking a 3 week vacation with my best friend a few years ago. We are alike in so many ways and get along great, but by the end of the trip we weren't talking and almost got into a fist fight. That's because we were around each other constantly and we began to clash. I'm also more traditional in a sense. I'd prefer my girl to not live with me until we are very serious and I believe she may be the one. Short stays over night or over the weekend are fine but as mentioned I like my space and don't wanna be suffocated, especially with a girl I feel no future with.
Would you spend 8,000 dollars for 6 months with a girl that isn't even gonna be there for 3/4 of your daylight hours?
YES! For one, that is how it would be for me in the states anyways. I don't work from home and would prefer not to. So there goes 8-10 hours I wouldn't be around her anyway. Take 7-8 hours for sleep. Then add 1-2 hours for personal activities (exercising, volunteering) and there goes 3/4 of my day right there. And I'm doing it without a steady girl now. So if you tell me I can continue my routine, spend less money on living expenses, and have a steady supply of available women to date. Then hell yea I'd do it in a heartbeat. Even if I did spend 6 months of my life, it would be 6 months I'd use up anyway in the States probably going to work and being a little lonely. Why not do it in a foreign country with the opportunity to date many girls and maybe meet your future spouse all while having the opportunity to see another culture and scenery.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

Mr S wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:
MrBlueLight wrote:
Hero wrote:

This happens more often than you think but it does depend on one being in the right place at the right time an also how one carries themselves. Of course if you think you will get chatted up by just walking around thats probably not going to happen much, if at all. What I'm talking about is interacting with people while shopping or eating, that happens all the time and it's easy to strike up conversations with others if that's what you want to do. I really can't be bothered with it anymore but it does depend maybe a bit on what you look like and how friendly you appear to be. I don't have any issues if I want to converse with others, if I don't I just turn on my bad vibe switch and and they leave me alone. You just have to get in touch with how others perceive you and then turn it on or off at will, the attraction factor that is...
I agree with Mr. S

I've been approached in the malls, airport, on the bus, and when I've been with Filipino friends. It doesn't happen everytime or whenever I walk around but far more often that it does in the states. One lady on a bus to Iligan started chatting me up after I asked how much longer the trip would be. By the end of the trip she asked for my number, wanted to take several pics with me, and told me she'd introduce me to her daughter. Yes she was in her early 40's but that's just one occasion but the point is I was open to conversing with her. And her daughter was cute : ) I've had cute girls (and gays) at the airport hit on me and wave. If you exude a positive ad friendly vibe, you will eventually get approached.

Am I special? Not really. Sure I'm young, white, and decent looking but decent looking doesn't hold that much weight in the Philippines. Hell I even looked like Eminem in the pic above minus the tats and add a flat bill.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Gays are the worst, super annoying and won't take a hint to leave you alone. At least I'm middle age now and they don't bother me as much but they are still a nuisance, I'd think they would leave me alone at my age! If your gay I think Philippines is more of a paradise than if you're straight!