These are Women, and these are Filipinos

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: These are Women, and these are Filipinos

Post by MarcosZeitola »

People have a tendency of putitng Filipino people down, it's rather appalling. They are lazy, they say, stupid, worthless, promiscuous, what have you... but are they laier, stupider and more promiscuous then, say, Africans? Americans? Europeans? Somehow, I doubt that. So I will applaud posts like the one OP, Duende, made about a Filipina and her rags-to-riches story. I saw some replies accusing the story of being "too feminist", but I couldn't see it. It's about a woman who made something of herself, worked hard and helped her family. You could have found a similar story of a Filipino man going abroad and it would have made the same impact on me.

Bottom line is: people underestimate Filipino's too much. And by all means, guys, continue to do so! But take a good look in the mirror, and around you, and see that many of the stereotypes you have for Filipino people also just as easily apply to Americans. :roll:
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 28th, 2020, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Ghost wrote:See guys, I doubt you would all feel the same if, say, it was a Filipino man rescuing exploited male OFWs.

The only real reason some story like this gets noticed is v****a. No, really. Men don't get this kind of treatment. And she basically hand-waved men to focus on the female OFWs.

It's a common ploy that works so well because everyone is programmed to look after v****as. Penises are expendable, as always.

She knows that ploy will be effective, which makes up for the fact that her "company" probably has little to no merit of its own.

Geez, HAers need to quit simpin'...
Yeah, sure, a 53-yo vagina LOL :)

What's wrong with her efforts focusing on female OFWs? Maybe somebody will come along and create an interest/protest group to give a voice to male OFWs.
Like I said to Yohan, "every little helps". Even if she were to devote her efforts to dark-skinned female OFWs from the Bohol area, it would still be better than nothing at all. Don't you think?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 28th, 2020, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Ghost wrote:There's always someone ready and willing to help women. They have plenty of help, and a lot of the "help" is about manipulating peoples' sympathy and inherent tendency to protect females at the expense of men. It is not about justice, helping women, or caring about anyone. It is about power through manipulation.

No, someone won't "maybe" start caring about the men. Nothing significant anyway. Men are expendable. Protecting penises doesn't get peoples' sympathy or money.

That's what's wrong with it.

Quit simpin'.
It's even simpler than that. There's always someone ready and willing to help women. And children. And the elderly. Is it so hard to understand that it's a universal tendency everywhere in nature, a biological imperative, for the stronger to protect the weaker? Women might no longer be as weak, at least as far as their political voice is concerned, as they used to, but that tendency is still somehow hardwired in our DNA.

Those like you who complain that Universe and Society no longer takes care of men probably, very probably, don't know or are too afraid, or confused, to take concrete steps to get out of their state of frustration and misery. You tried going to the Philippines. Do it again. It will do you no good to bash an act of activism, however partial, as feminist. Start a protest group that represents all men in your condition - young, smart and unemployed and perhaps unemployable - that would be a far better start than another go at your keyboard.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 28th, 2020, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

publicduende wrote: What raises a red flag, with me personally at least - and by now I know I am a minority in this forum community - is that you are not prepared to concede that a woman is stepping in and helping her fellow citizens, or a specific category of women, using her own company and her own social media weight.
It is a difference, if you work, get a salary from somewhere and give a donation to poor people as a foreign man and do not expect anything in return - or if you are a local woman, create an introduction company and make a profit out of poor citizens living next to you.

Sorry, but you see this situation totally single-sided. What this woman is doing is not to step in HELPING her fellow citizens. She does not work for free and she is not using her money earned from another not related source to help. More the opposite. She makes money out of those poor people with her company.

I do not consider a person owning a company and offering some services - in her case introduction of jobs - against payment or collecting commission as a 'help to fellow citizens'. - Following your strange definition, basically every shop can be considered as a 'help for citizens' - a shop selling food for example is helping citizens not to be hungry, a gas-station is 'helping' taxi drivers not to run out of fuel. - You are a customer and you pay for this 'help'.

To offer a service making a profit is not a 'help' for the poor, it is a 'help' for your own wallet.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

MarcosZeitola wrote:..... I will applaud posts like the one OP, Duende, made about a Filipina and her rags-to-riches story. I saw some replies accusing the story of being "too feminist", but I couldn't see it. It's about a woman who made something of herself, worked hard and helped her family. You could have found a similar story of a Filipino man going abroad and it would have made the same impact on me.
You trust a woman, in this case a Filipina with her rags-to-riches story, too much. You clearly trust her more than a man presenting the same story.

I see no reason why I should trust every woman who is coming up with the typical crybaby-story about her poverty without even trying to verify it. While in Philippines I found many women who are merely liars and cheaters. Such women do exist and to deny that is plainly ignorant.

If I try to verify if this is true or out of fantasy or at least seriously exaggerated, what is wrong with that?
This means I am a misogynist or what?

If you carefully read her story you will discover that very much what she writes is inconsistent, is untrustworthy. What is wrong to point this out?
You could have found a similar story of a Filipino man going abroad and it would have made the same impact on me.
I doubt very much if the same story written by a Filipino man would have the same impact to Western readers.

It's about marketing. This woman is advertising her own company with her story. It must be 'impressive'.

It is not the same impact, if a story is about a divorced man with 2 sons - or about a divorced mother with 2 girls.

It is not the same impact, if a woman is cleaning a toilet abroad or a man is doing construction work abroad.

It is also important to point out, that she is a Christian Filipino woman and not a Muslim Indonesian man. Who cares about poor Muslim men anyway?

If a man is doing this introduction business, he would be considered as a bad guy taking advantage of poor women.
If a woman is doing the same business, she is 'helping poor women'...

Clearly a double standard.