10 years in Thailand and still single

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Re: 10 years in Thailand and still single

Post by chanta76 »

Yohan,

Yet thailand is one of the happieraboard destination for so many single guys.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

chanta76 wrote:Yohan,

Yet thailand is one of the happieraboard destination for so many single guys.
Might be, but it seems that Winston is not very much interested in Thailand... I wonder why?
There should be a reason for that.

Maybe better to compare China with Thailand.
Is mainland China better than Thailand? I am not sure.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

I certainly have had a different experience in Thailand then you! However I am a bit younger and not that shy. I really find it kind of hard to believe that it could be hard to meet girls in Thailand unless you were super shy. There should be much less pressure in dealing with Asian women in general than with western women. Yes I guess its not so easy to find a girl that isn't into your money

I managed to find one, however I don't even have a lot of money, I don't even have a job right now ! haha. But I did have more money than my girlfriend who basically makes Thai minimum wage, so sure, I am a step up on the scale for her.

My girl is Christian, even though I am Buddhist, and her father is a pastor. She probably has a better sense of ethical conduct than a typical thai Buddhist chick. She is also from the country in northern Thailand and her grandparents came here from Myanmar. So she has that not fully Thai thing going on.
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

http://thailand-treasures.myshopify.com/collections/all
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

@tamdrin12

Good to hear that you could find a nice girl who is together with you in Northern Thailand. And good to hear you found a way to regulate somehow your income and hopefully also visa regulations. It's not so easy to settle down in Thailand for long-term as a young person. It seems Northern Thailand fits you much better than the Central part of the country, like Bangkok or Pattaya.

About Drronnie, he had bad experiences with Western women, and is now very mistrusting towards Thai women as well. I was in a similar situation long time ago, so I understand him well. However I think he should be more active to look for a relationship - somewhere else away from Thailand and any race any language - it's not really a good feeling being alone, it makes you somehow depressive. To depend solely on women who consider you more or less as a 'nothing', because neither your money, nor your looks, nor your way to approach women, etc. etc. are good enough for them is not a good way, but this is just my opinion.

Thai women can be really bad, I myself never met a young Thai woman from Southern and Central Thailand who was not directly into money, even not during my first visits to Thailand around 1972.

To be fair, stupid and ignorant behavior of Western men has to be mentioned as well, some Western idiot-men are getting yellow fever and giving away all what is their banking account to a Thai bargirl - I know about horror stories up to 60 and 80 million baht (up to over 2 million USD). Can you believe that...
Blue Murder
Junior Poster

Post by Blue Murder »

Yohan wrote:@tamdrin12

Good to hear that you could find a nice girl who is together with you in Northern Thailand. And good to hear you found a way to regulate somehow your income and hopefully also visa regulations. It's not so easy to settle down in Thailand for long-term as a young person. It seems Northern Thailand fits you much better than the Central part of the country, like Bangkok or Pattaya.

About Drronnie, he had bad experiences with Western women, and is now very mistrusting towards Thai women as well. I was in a similar situation long time ago, so I understand him well. However I think he should be more active to look for a relationship - somewhere else away from Thailand and any race any language - it's not really a good feeling being alone, it makes you somehow depressive. To depend solely on women who consider you more or less as a 'nothing', because neither your money, nor your looks, nor your way to approach women, etc. etc. are good enough for them is not a good way, but this is just my opinion.

Thai women can be really bad, I myself never met a young Thai woman from Southern and Central Thailand who was not directly into money, even not during my first visits to Thailand around 1972.

To be fair, stupid and ignorant behavior of Western men has to be mentioned as well, some Western idiot-men are getting yellow fever and giving away all what is their banking account to a Thai bargirl - I know about horror stories up to 60 and 80 million baht (up to over 2 million USD). Can you believe that...
Your inbox.
Self-improvement addict. Always striving for perfection.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

Yohan wrote:@tamdrin12

Thanks for your comment Yohan and for being helpful regarding Thailand. Yes my girl is pretty good. The thing is I am not really marriage minded at this point, so I really don't have that much to loose. As long as she is happy with a simple life I don't mind paying for her 30 or 60 baht meals when we go out for dinner :twisted:

I really think Bangkok and Pattaya, or the central and south parts of Thailand are worse places for finding girls. Higher percentage of money hungry gold diggers for sure. Not to say that doesn't exist in Thailand. It is obvious when you especially see a much older guy with a young sexy girl. This topic has been hashed to death and everyone knows though. Anyway the key to Thailand as is anywhere, is to have options. If you have options you won't be locked into desperate situations and you will have leverage with your gf. She will feel that. My gf gets jealous easily and always worries that I am looking at or talking to other girls. It's kind of understandable with so many girls in this country

Not to mention Thai people know even better than farangs what is really going on here and what the culture and people are like.

Its enough to say, and we agree, that Thailand is quite a nice place to live if you have a decent situation worked out. Not much pressure like Japan, and I feel very comfortable in my daily life. 6 month double entry tourist visas are available now.
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

drronnie
Freshman Poster

Post by drronnie »

tamdrin12 wrote:I certainly have had a different experience in Thailand then you! However I am a bit younger and not that shy. I really find it kind of hard to believe that it could be hard to meet girls in Thailand unless you were super shy. There should be much less pressure in dealing with Asian women in general than with western women. Yes I guess its not so easy to find a girl that isn't into your money

I managed to find one, however I don't even have a lot of money, I don't even have a job right now ! haha. But I did have more money than my girlfriend who basically makes Thai minimum wage, so sure, I am a step up on the scale for her.

My girl is Christian, even though I am Buddhist, and her father is a pastor. She probably has a better sense of ethical conduct than a typical thai Buddhist chick. She is also from the country in northern Thailand and her grandparents came here from Myanmar. So she has that not fully Thai thing going on.
I think you got a phone interview here because I always was a loners and had problems connecting to women since my teenage years. Agreed with Yohan that many Thai women have material expectations but then on the other hand there are those who are financially worse of then me with significant others. So what do these men do? Do they use game or whatever it is calle?
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

Man do you really think money is the only way to get Thai girls? That is not true at all but it depends on YOU. There are many Thai women these days who have good jobs and aren't necessarily looking for a cash cow, they would rather be with someone who is a decent guy and not a cheater. Yes it is hard to find a man who isn't cheating on his women in Thailand these days.

My friend has a girl who has a masters degree I think and has her own business

My girl doesn't have a lot of money.. So I help her out a little bit.. Buying food here and there and an occasional gift.

She is not materialistic because she has never had an opportunity to be so. I don't plan on spoiling her either.

What do you do? Be yourself man.. Is that so hard? or maybe you need to find what girl you can click with and a girl that can understand and accept you

tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

Yohan says "I've never met a Thai women who was not directly into money"

Man my experience is a bit different. I have slept with 6 or 7 non working girls and non of them have asked me for money directly. The girl I was with for a longer time I paid for stuff like dinners, but that was at cheap Thai restaraunts.. nothing expensive.

You need to have leverage with Thai girls. If the only thing you think you have to offer is your wallet that is a very bad situation

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

tamdrin12 wrote:Yohan says "I've never met a Thai women who was not directly into money"
Man my experience is a bit different.
Even long time ago, still as a single man, my experience was like that, and looking around in South East/Far East Asia every year several times, I never changed my mind. My impression about Thai women is not really good.

The most materialistic woman causing frequent horror stories is the Thai woman in that region, regardless of age, regardless if single and looking, or if married and opting for a lucrative divorce. With or without nightlife-history... just my opinion.

I spent however most of my Thailand-time in Southern Thailand and later on near Bangkok/Pattaya. Might be that Thai women from North and North East are different in their mentality. The reason also might be that often business-related SouthThai people and Thai around Bangkok/Pattaya are of Chinese origin. - I like to live in cities and not in rural areas, this might be an explanation for meeting the wrong Thai women.

I am not only talking about young Thai women, but I met also Thai women in their 50s, academic, earning well over baht 250.000,- per month and still same behavior. Has one large house already, needs urgently a second house - has one car, needs a second car, have 2 maids, needs 3 maids and a gardener, has gold in the safety box but needs even more gold and additionally some platina/diamonds, has 200 employees but wants 300 employees. Never satisfied with anything, still not good enough.

I never noticed such an openly materialistic behavior with women in Cambodia, Malaysia and Philippines.

However there are similar complaints about the materialistic/aggressive behavior of Chinese women from wealthy areas like Singapore, HongKong, Shanghai etc.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

You were simply in the wrong part of Thailand for meeting good women. Pattaya is the worst place in the world for meeting good women for obvious reasons. The south is much more expensive than the north and people in the north tend to be simpler in their outlook towards life. There must be a mix in BKK but any city environment is bound to bring out materialism in people.

I still do agree that it is probably hard to find a good Thai woman even in the north.

But I did sort of date a girl up here who was a virgin and was saving herself for marriage. Which is basically why I let her go. She would want to sleep over at my room but not do anything. Pretty strange.

This type of thing is rare in Thailand these days.

In other news I am going to live in Korat (issan province) for a month to teach at one school over there. Im curious to compare it to life in Chiang Mai.

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

tamdrin12 wrote:You were simply in the wrong part of Thailand for meeting good women. Pattaya is the worst place in the world for meeting good women for obvious reasons. The south is much more expensive than the north and people in the north tend to be simpler in their outlook towards life.
In other news I am going to live in Korat (issan province) for a month to teach at one school over there. Im curious to compare it to life in Chiang Mai.
Well, I was first in Malaysia and always entered Thailand from the South over decades. Malay was my first Asian language, but times are changing, it was getting dangerous around Thepa, Hadyai and Songkhla and we decided to move on to Sri Ratcha/Pattaya, because it is comfortable for my family using Bangkok Airport, we are not interested into nightlife, but Pattaya/Sri Ratcha has also many advantages, so we have now our second home there, but mainly we will continue to live in Japan.

We do not have any personal relationship with Thai people, it's our holiday place. Of course Pattaya is not a Thai city, it's a holiday meeting point.

-----

About Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) it's not really a typical forgettable Isaan place, but shows some signs already of a provincial town, no hills no shadows and getting hot by day, but it is not so far away from Bangkok, only about 300 km, with daily good long-distance bus connection. Not much to see within the city, straight roads, the typical supply place for the rural area around and with some good hotels, restaurants, stores .... It's also a starting point for Phanom Rung and Phimai, if you are interested in Thai/Khmer history.

I was always using the Sima Thani Hotel in Nakhon Ratchasima, I was there only a few times, always had a rent-a-car driving myself. You might consider to rent a motorcycle, distances are not so short around the city, public transport is rather poor.

I am sure, you will very much prefer to live in Chiang Mai in future, but OK take a look, see for yourelf.

Where ever you are in Thailand, you will notice that the distribution network and long distance bus connection system is working remarkably well in all cities in Thailand. Nothing to worry about daily needs, like food, medical care, banking, accommodation, mobile phone etc. - It gives me always a good feeling to be secure while in Thailand. Unfortunately it is now recommended to stay away from some border areas, but otherwise Thailand is a safe place. I never had any problems.

It's a difference of course if you move around as a tourist spending money or if you try to settle down for a while among locals doing some jobs, studying the language etc.

Good luck!
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

drronnie wrote:I think you got a phone interview here because I always was a loners and had problems connecting to women since my teenage years. Agreed with Yohan that many Thai women have material expectations but then on the other hand there are those who are financially worse of then me with significant others. So what do these men do? Do they use game or whatever it is calle?
I don't think, from your comments, "game" is you. You need to do something that is more alligned to your own personality. Have you tried quitting all the anti-women, MGTOW-styled web communities you ever signed up on, and instead of chatting with women-hating virgins and video game addicts, chat to Asian ladies online? And I am not talking about Thai ladies here, but ladies from poorer countries. Say Indonesia. Say Cambodia or the Philippines.

Try joining chat sites, dating sites, and just talk to girls online. Not OFWs, not rich girls, not materialistic ones or model types with a thousand instagram pictures... no, just normal, wholesome, regular girls from poor backgrounds. Talk to them. Chat them. Get to know them. And if you find one you really connect with, which with today's level of supply and demand is bound to happen, you hop a plane and fly to her.

It's pretty much fool-proof, and allows you to get close to girls from a distance in a way that does not allow your shyness to sabotage your chances like it might IRL. In the meantime, focus on personal improvement. Personal improvement of the physical type is the easiest, and will greatly increase your chance of success.

I wish you good luck. I do not believe you are hopeless, not even as you approach the big four-zero. Nothing is impossible... but get busy!
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

The only problem with DrRonnie is that he has no idea what to do with women. He doesnt know how to escalate the relationship beyond the second date. That is the problem he needs to work on. However, it seems like Thai women are all terrible from the sounds of it. His lack of knowledge and cluelessness with women may have actually already saved him from a fate worse than death. But I would say, if he can not figure out what to do, no amount of words on a screen will help him. He's got to figure it out for himself.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Adama wrote:The only problem with DrRonnie is that he has no idea what to do with women. He doesnt know how to escalate the relationship beyond the second date. That is the problem he needs to work on.
At least in Thailand he can make it up to the second date. In Europe I have no idea even how to start with the first date with a woman.

Thailand for sure is much better in this sense compared to Europe and Northern America. You need not to be worried so much in case something is going wrong while looking out to contact some females.

However in Bangkok many women of any age are not into a long-term relationship, just out for fun and of course also for money.

Might be that women from other parts in Thailand, especially North and East are somewhat different. Some foreigners report best results, others will show up with horror stories.

About Drronnie, as I said before, he should be more actively looking around in countries near Thailand, like Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, etc.