Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Don't be a Kano with your Cash

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Don't be a Kano with your Cash

Postby davewe » Wed May 13, 2015 9:20 pm

Check out my blog @ www.marriedafilipina.com
davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: Don't be a Kano with your Cash

Postby MarcosZeitola » Wed May 13, 2015 9:31 pm

Your Australian friend gave you a very good piece of advice. It's very important to get to know the prices that the locals pay, and to live, think, calculate and pay as a Filipino. One of the advantages of going abroad, is the cheaper prices. But when you aren't critical enough, you will always end up paying more then a native would. For this reason alone it's ideal to have a local traveling companion, especially a wife or girlfriend. My wife takes it very personal when one of her countrymen tries to con me out of some money or overcharge me - she doesn't want me getting a bad impression of her country, she told me the first time I visited. But I've lived there for a while now, with breaks, and you get used to the prices.
MarcosZeitola
Experienced Poster

Postby Ghost » Thu May 14, 2015 2:38 am

Good advice. My issue would be having to be on guard like that all the time. I'd rather live in a place where getting ripped off is not a frequent occurrence. That was one nice thing about where I lived in China. Went an entire year and no one tried to rip me off.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby davewe » Thu May 14, 2015 3:40 am

The piece wasn't really about being ripped off - on the contrary. It's more about that fact that you have to stop thinking like an American which includes dealing with cash as if you were a Filipino. Of course I am also aided in this by my wife.
Check out my blog @ www.marriedafilipina.com
davewe
Experienced Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand