Why all the hype about Filipinas?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why all the hype about Filipinas?

Post by MrMan »

Jester wrote:
mahadeveshwara wrote:It's actually of Sanskrit derivation. It means Lord Shiva.

I understand that Central Europe and various other Slavic/Eastern languages have a fair amount of Sanskrit in them (from the supposed Aryo-Indian anthropological era/Proto Sanskrit language)? The same could be said of Latin, although a bit farther removed.
Well, um, thanks... but that doesnt quite work for me.

Maha Dev esh Wara
Maha sounds like "blessed" as in Mahatma
Dev sounds like "jinn" or spirit

I dont see where the "Lord Shiva" is

Dont know any sanskrit, just read a bit, so if you have researched this, feel free to "enlighten me"
I actually studied a little Sanskrit in college, but I didn't learn much of it and didn't remember much. Mainly we learned grammatical paradigms and compared them to ProtoIndoEuropean languages, or the prof did. But I didn't learn these words. My guess would be to look at 'deve' as related to Latin from which we get divine, but I know that's a bit of a stretch. I'd be look at 'shw' as the 'Shiva' part.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I've never been to the Philippines, but if I were unmarried and looking for a wife, I might consider it, either that or Indonesian. I speak Indonesian. If you only speak English, language is a big advantage for the Philippines over Indonesia for finding a wife. I'd imagine the 'competition' with local men and Koreans and other westerners is probably more intense in the cities. And even if there is 'competition', a lot of the good 'wife-material' girls are probably at home washing their parents laundry or out working a job to help support the family, instead of drinking or dancing in some night club where the locals and expats compete for them.

When I was in Indonesia, a fair number of expats were married to locals, but I'd guess more expats brought their own wives than were married to locals. Single men who go there who want to marry often find one, and a lot of women there would like to marry expats. Indonesians who go to middle and high school generally learn some English and some speak it quite well. It's just nothing like the Philippines if I understand correctly (without having been to the Philippines.)

Officially, Indonesia is something like 89% Muslim. Probably more realistically, it's something like 20% Christian. There are regions that have historically been Christian and plenty of towns where the population is mixed up. If you are looking for a Christian wife, there are lots of them there. It's also a good place to go to find a virgin.

As far as looks go, in general, I think girls from northern Asia are more likely to be more attractive for my tastes, though there are plenty of beautiful girls among Malayu stock as well. I found one who is beautiful and suits my personal tastes for looks. Indonesian women tend not to be fat. If they are a bit fat, it's not usually like American girls, just a bit curvy.

Indonesian women who can't cook may feel embarrassed to admit it, because as women, they think they are supposed to know how to cook. The ones I worked with in the office would talk about the meals they cooked for their families. The Muslim women would go into great detail while fasting during the day in Rahmaddan, but it showed me how important taking care of the home was to them. I don't get that vibe off of a lot of American women. If Indonesians joked about sex it was usually about having sex in marriage-- newly wed jokes, for example. Virginity before marriage is the norm. Someone who fornicates can be seen as a bit tainted. Muslims can divorce, but it wasn't that common when I was there except maybe among the Sunda. I read that the divorce rate went way up a few years ago, but I think it's still way below the US. I read 10% somewhere, and Christian groups tend to be more resistant toward the idea of divorce than Muslims. It does happen. In my many years in Indonesia, I can think of three Christian Indonesians I knew out of the multitudes I met who were divorced.

Javanese wives have a bit of a reputation for being submissive. Most people-groups there tend to be very friendly and try to make guests and outsiders feel welcome and accepted. They tend to be very hospitable as well.

If you marry an Indonesian, chances are she will want to have a baby. They probably aren't much different from Filippinos in that regard. Many couples there try to have a baby the first year of marriage.
HappyX10
Freshman Poster

Post by HappyX10 »

Hey everyone. First time poster, long time viewer. Found this site after meeting my girlfriend (now Fiancee) earlier this year. Just back from the Visayans after a month and would like to add a few things to this thread. I direct this to the good guys like myself out there and to all the other ones ie 65 years old Europeans/americans black socks up to your knees with the 18 year old GIRLS F*%& OFF. Filipina women....where do I start. You want a caring sensitive woman who lives for you? Go to the Philippines. You want a affectionate, non judgemental woman who's only desire is to make you happy? Go to the Philippines. You want to wake up to a smile every morning? Go to the Philippines. You want to find a woman that loves you back exponentially? Go to the Philippines. You want a woman who will grow with you and reward and appreciate you for all you do for her? Go to the Philippines. Just don't abuse and take them for granted. Go there for the right reasons and the women there will love you.
HappyX10
Freshman Poster

Post by HappyX10 »

whoops sorry Meant to say Visayas. Visayans are the people that live there :)
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

HappyX10 wrote: I direct this to the good guys like myself out there and to all the other ones ie 65 years old Europeans/americans black socks up to your knees with the 18 year old GIRLS F*%& OFF.
Wow - thank goodness I don't wear black socks :)
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

GoingAwol wrote:I have signed up on several dating sites geared towards meeting Filipinas and I've been disappointed. The overwhelming majority of these women are not that attractive and a lot of them put out a trashy vibe not unlike the average western woman. And the ones that are attractive are just as stuck up as the western women on dating sites. So what am I missing? Where are these classy,sweet, feminine,and attractive women I keep hearing about?
Thats your problem...you rely on dating sites....go to college in the Philippines like this korean guy did