Philippines food rated worst in Asia by a Malaysian chef

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Philippines food rated worst in Asia by a Malaysian chef

Post by Rock »

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: Philippines food rated worst in Asia by a Malaysian chef

Post by davewe »

The remarks were a response to a CNN poll that claimed that Philippines food is the 2nd best in the world (only behind Taiwan). Even though I like PH food, I would never claim it to be one of the best.

But what I found funny was the chef's Winston-like logic: “Philippines is known to have the worst food in Asia, ask any chefs and they will tell you I am right.”
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Asia has some great food. Has the chef tried Nepali food? I hear they eat beans all the time.

I actually like Filippino food. I like some of the dishes I've had. But it's not as interesting as Indonesian food. They do have some dishes in common, but Indonesian food uses more spices, and there are of course a variety of cuisines in both countries.

But if I hadn't had any kind of Asian food in a year, and I had a choice between Chinese food, Korean food, Padang or Manado food from Indonesia, or Philippino food, Vietnamese food, I probably wouldn't be choose Philippino food.

An interesting question would be to have chefs compare American cooking to Filippino cooking. I heard an Aussie lament at how boring American food was. He did say he had some good food in Atlanta. Since I'm from the south, I figured he'd just been eating boring Yankee food without any pig lard or bacon grease in the green beans or the corn to make them taste good.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Food in Malaysia is not known to me to be delicious. With Muslims not eating pork, and Indians not eating beef etc. and a rather small population compared to other Asian countries there is not much choice. Even my friends from Malaysia visiting me in Tokyo keep on telling me, food served in Malaysia and in Japan makes a big difference for them, food in Japan has clearly much more to offer for them and it's by far more tasty than what they have to eat in their own country.

In Philippines much food is US-EU style, might be that some Asians not from Philippines do not like that.

Taste is somehow a personal matter of course.

I do not eat seafood, I find Thai and Chinese food terrible, a recipe to the restroom. Best food in Asia for me is Korean food.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Why is it so bad? Are most of the dishes crappy? Is it the quality of the ingredients? Does it taste weird and unappealing to most people? What is it that makes it so bad?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

davewe wrote:
But what I found funny was the chef's Winston-like logic
Totally did not see a dig at Winston coming here!
+1
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

MrMan wrote:
He did say he had some good food in Atlanta. Since I'm from the south, I figured he'd just been eating boring Yankee food without any pig lard or bacon grease in the green beans or the corn to make them taste good.
:lol:

So true
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 17th, 2020, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

I had a Philippine friend who told me he thinks its the Philippine foods that makes the Philippine people stupid. I mean he told me you see Chinese restaurant, Korean restaurant, Japanese and Thai restaurant in USA but rarely do you see a Philippine restaurant . It's because at least to him the food is awful.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Yes, I agree Filipino food is generally the worst tasting in Asia. IMO it's because of the lack of quality food ingredients mixed with lack of variety in regards to vegetables and spices available. Most of the food choices seem to be creations of the poor being creative with limited quality food available to eat such as the supposed local delicacy Sisig which is just chopped up pig ears and noses mixed with local vegetables like onions and whatnot. Also the local vegetables don't really appeal to Westerners taste buds and probably other Asians as well. They are an acquired taste, which I still don't really care for. Western vegetables are generally more expensive to purchase and difficult to grow thus they aren't used much in local recipes.

Filipinos aren't really that creative to try creating new types of food concoctions with newer food options available in the global modern era, they tend to just stick with what they know and will try to save money by using the lowest quality ingredients. This equals shitty tasting food for the most part. The locals are used to low quality and they wouldn't know what good quality food tastes like unless they are part of the middle or upper classes who have traveled or can afford higher end international restaurants.

Filipinos generally do not have refined palettes...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

chanta76 wrote:I had a Philippine friend who told me he thinks its the Philippine foods that makes the Philippine people stupid. I mean he told me you see Chinese restaurant, Korean restaurant, Japanese and Thai restaurant in USA but rarely do you see a Philippine restaurant . It's because at least to him the food is awful.
In places where there are many Filipinos, there are Filipino restaurants but you generally see only Filipinos eating there.
Strangely enough, in Thailand, even when it was poor, the food was still great. Also, here in Ukraine, the food is amazing. Go figure. Poorer countries, too.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Malaysian chef is right on the money. Filipino sweets, McDonald's and Jolibee was all I had eaten when I was in RP. Everything else sucked.
From a thread Falcon uploaded a year or two ago when he was in Indonesia (he returned there now), the food he had taken pictures of loooked scrumptious-as-hell.

But Thai food and south Indian food is the best Asia food I ever had IMHO.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 15th, 2020, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Ghost wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:Malaysian chef is right on the money. Filipino sweets, McDonald's and Jolibee was all I had eaten when I was in RP. Everything else sucked.
From a thread Falcon uploaded a year or two ago when he was in Indonesia (he returned there now), the food he had taken pictures of loooked scrumptious-as-hell.

But Thai food and south Indian food is the best Asia food I ever had IMHO.
We need a country that has food like Thailand, women like Philippines, and a job market like China. Now that would be paradise...
We need a country that has food like comida criolla (Spanish soul food) from Dominican Republic & Puerto Rico, food from Thailand, food from southern India, women like Brazil, and a job market like China. That would be paradise and a blessed hell. :-D #fixed