Do Philippines hate Koreans?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Do Philippines hate Koreans?

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Another thing I have noticed is that the younger generation of Korean men is remarkably tall by Asian standards. They're probably the tallest people on the continent next to Northern Chinese. When in malls and airports I've frequently seen Korean men around my height or taller, six foot or 6'1" and up. They're quite well built too, more broad then Japanese, more tall and slender then Filipinos who tend to be stocky. I can see the appeal for a Filipina girl. Especially when she is taller and paler herself, and does not want to look "odd" when paired with a local man... a Korean partner may be an outcome. Their incomes tend to be far higher then most local men as well, and on par if not higher then that of American and Europeans.

All things considered, landing a Korean husband is probably a good catch for many Filipina women. A friend of my wife married her former boss, a Korean man twelve years her senior, and her friends all remarked how "handsome" he was - he has a full head of hair, is very tall and very pale, all of which indicate "high class" and thus makes a man handsome in a Filipina's eyes. Otherwise he's completely average, but pale skin is always a major plus. The guy is constantly taking her to resorts and sharing pictures of their life together, and they seem to be quite happy. I would say that in terms of finances, she traded up, whereas in terms of looks he's the one who traded up (the girl is very pretty, albeit dark skinned). A win-win scenario, surely.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

I've heard that Koreans are not well liked in the Philippines because their presence there doesn't do much to benefit the locals. They arrive in large tour groups. They stay in Korean owned hotels and eat at Korean owned restaurants. They surround themselves with other Koreans and show no interest in interacting with the locals. They don't try the local cuisine. They'd rather eat the ramen and drink the soju that they've brought with them from Korea. It seems that Koreans rub a lot of people the wrong way. Look at some of the complaints about them on ESL boards. They are by far the most ethnocentric and nationalistic group of Asians that I've encountered. Talking to a Korean about their country often feels like talking to a member of a cult. They've rewritten history to inspire a delusional level of pride in their race and nation. Koreans recently celebrated Liberation Day and once again they pretended that the US had nothing to do with Korea's liberation from Japan. The truth is that the US's decision to nuke Japan resulted in the liberation of Korea from Japan. Korean efforts to liberate themselves were 100% unsuccessful. Yet President Park made no mention of the role that the US played on that day when she addressed the nation.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

MarcosZeitola wrote:Another thing I have noticed is that the younger generation of Korean men is remarkably tall by Asian standards.
All things considered, landing a Korean husband is probably a good catch for many Filipina women..
Same can be said about the Japanese, young people are much taller than their parents and especially young Japanese men are by far more willing to accept a foreign wife.

Filipinos are the 4th largest group of foreigners in Japan, and the majority of them are females, while young Japanese men - especially those from rural areas - often cannot find a local wife. A young Filipina as wife is not a bad catch for a young Japanese man and not a bad catch for a Filipina woman either in return to receive a Japanese spouse visa, which includes an all-out Japanese working permit with full national insurance cover.

Philippines is near to Japan, for less than USD 400,- you get a return ticket to Manila, for less than USD 500,- to Cebu directly, flight time is not over 4 1/2 hour. Visa for Philippines for long stay are also easy for Japanese nationals, I met some of them in Cebu buying their own condominium for vacation and retirement.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

traveler,

I notice you always want to say something bad about Koreans. Did you get beat up in Korea or something? Did a korean girl break your heart or something?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

chanta76 wrote:traveler,
I notice you always want to say something bad about Koreans. Did you get beat up in Korea or something? Did a korean girl break your heart or something?
He does not like Korean women, but it seems he also does not like Japanese men...

Asia seems not to be his favorite destination.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Filipinos seem to tolerate Koreans fairly well. However, they don't like working for them as Korean bosses can be rather overbearing. White people don't like working for them either.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
MR2
Freshman Poster

Post by MR2 »

MarcosZeitola wrote:All things considered, landing a Korean husband is probably a good catch for many Filipina women. A friend of my wife married her former boss, a Korean man twelve years her senior, and her friends all remarked how "handsome" he was - he has a full head of hair, is very tall and very pale, all of which indicate "high class" and thus makes a man handsome in a Filipina's eyes. Otherwise he's completely average, but pale skin is always a major plus. The guy is constantly taking her to resorts and sharing pictures of their life together, and they seem to be quite happy. I would say that in terms of finances, she traded up, whereas in terms of looks he's the one who traded up (the girl is very pretty, albeit dark skinned). A win-win scenario, surely.
Yes of course it is a good catch for them. Most of the filipino men I see here makes me feel bad for these girls. It is as if physical appearance for a female here is beyond any kind of luxury. It reminds me of the US where a guy is lucky to get the fat girlfriend.

Things like having your own place, some way to get around, and money to buy food are at the top of the list here. If you have stuff like most of your teeth, and can function in the bedroom with or without medical assistance you are getting gwapo. White skin, most of your hair, go to the gym sometimes, and they just stare so hard it is an adrenaline rush!
Break the chains
Freshman Poster

Post by Break the chains »

The more I hear about it, the more it sounds to me like S.Korea is the U.S. of Asia.
Trying to be a better man