Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

S. Korea Suicide Capital For 11th Year

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby Taco » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:08 am

If you like eating gelatinous sea creatures while working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week then you'll love Korea.

http://www.koreatimesus.com/11-years-in-a-row-south-korea-is-no-1-in-suicide-rate-among-oecd-countries/
Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value – zero – Voltaire

We know that the next economic crash (every 7 years) is coming soon, because these crashes are deliberately timed to coincide with the U.S. presidential cycle. – Jeff Nielson
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: S. Korea Suicide Capital For 11th Year

Postby Break the chains » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:02 am

It's the most developed country in Asia, and probably the most soulless (if that makes sense). There is a direct correlation between the two. Everything is manufactured.

The competitiveness and work ethic in regards to their academic achievement and jobs are insane.

I shudder at the thought of that country being the future destiny of all of Asia. Its 'culture' is extremely popular in other Asian countries. The horror.
Trying to be a better man
Break the chains
Freshman Poster

Postby Taco » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:24 pm

Koreans are rather high strung. A guy I know asked a security guard at Seoul airport for directions and the guard pulled out his pistol and pointed it at him.

We know that the next economic crash (every 7 years) is coming soon, because these crashes are deliberately timed to coincide with the U.S. presidential cycle. – Jeff Nielson
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Break the chains » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:51 am

Wow. Way too much stress. That's no way to live.
Trying to be a better man
Break the chains
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:23 am

Break the chains wrote:It's the most developed country in Asia, and probably the most soulless (if that makes sense). There is a direct correlation between the two. Everything is manufactured.

The competitiveness and work ethic in regards to their academic achievement and jobs are insane.

I shudder at the thought of that country being the future destiny of all of Asia. Its 'culture' is extremely popular in other Asian countries. The horror.

That bothers me too. My students here in China (girls mostly) love Korean TV and music. Plenty say they want to go work there, or at least travel there. This tends to happen with developed countries - they are able to project images of positivity and fun while being miserable dump holes socially and otherwise. I haven't been to Korea, so I can't speak for it directly, but I see this same kind of thing with the U.S. so I'm sure it is pretty close.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Yohan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:44 am

Break the chains wrote:It's the most developed country in Asia, and probably the most soulless...

South Korea is not the most developed country in Asia, but for sure in the upper level. However compared to Japan, working hours are longer, it is very crowded, people react often angrily, not a place to relax.

North Korea is not a nice neighbor, and salaries are relatively low, as too much money is given to the military, UN, US-servicemen, political propaganda and if really some money is still left over, it is given to North Korea for whatever 'projects of peace'.

The location of South Korea is not nice with China and Russia and North Korea between these both giants, many South Koreans are indeed very nervous and South Korea is moving to USA life-style, Christianity as the second largest religion, rude behavior, plenty of feminist-friendly laws, loneliness, South Korea is also no. 1 of young men looking out for a foreign (Asian) wife, very short vacation.

This little country, just a part of a small peninsula, has over 48 million people - too much. And it is getting icy cold during winter time.

Some people get crazy and commit suicide without considering other options to change their living conditions. Understandable.

All in all, life in Japan compared to South Korea is much more relaxed. I also feel more comfortable in Taiwan than in South Korea.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Postby chanta76 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:05 pm

I knew someone in my family that committed suicide in south korea. The thing about south korea is that the korean family are sometimes toooo controlling and to an extension the korean society is also like that.

For example there was the korean daughter from the samsung family. She was rich and educated . She came to usa to study and met a korean anerican guy who happens to be lower class. She loved him but her family was against it. She ended up killing herself because of this.

I mean there probably other reasons but being korean myself there were couple of times i thought about killing myself because of the pressure that my parents gave me .

This is typical for many asian families.

What made south korea great is what is also making some korean burn out.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Postby chanta76 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Yohan

Japan also has a high suicide rate too. Maybe not as high as korea..maybe over the years the rate went down in japan.

I think for many of the asian countries the pressure to achieve and also to fit in like everyone else is high . Its what made asia great but also hard for some people.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Postby Yohan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:03 pm

I can only look at some lists from the internet. Indeed, South Korea seems to be one of the leading nations regarding suicide, in Japan the rate is about 2/3 of those in South Korea.

Japan is lower than Russia, Hungary, India, about rank 17 or 20, while South Korea is rank 2 or 5, I don't know how it is counted, but there are different listings for males and females.

People in Japan and Korea are getting suddenly excited, acting spontaneous, totally out of control. Most people would think differently after one week or so when calming down, I guess.

I know a man in my neighborhood who committed suicide only because he was asked to leave the company and retire with only 58 years old after receiving a huge separation pay of USD 150.000,-. He considered himself 'worthless'. -

Well, for me if my company gives me USD 150.000,- and kicks me out - this would be the best what could happen to me.

For sure no reason for me to end my life, but to get on an airplane, leaving Japan to my second home in Thailand for long vacation, visiting my fosterdaughter in Philippines, visiting friends in USA and so on.

Further moving out of Tokyo with my wife to a small Japanese city, buying there a condominium with a large balcony near a lake and lot of green area around etc. etc. I would reactivate my radioamateur station, have time for my baroque music studies and foreign languages, etc. etc. - Unfortunately still 2 years moreto retirement.
Last edited by Yohan on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Postby Taco » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:29 am

Their culinary preferences drive them over the edge. That's my theory.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYDkzqCfJzg[/youtube]

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand