Lot's of Asia bashers on this forum...

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Lot's of Asia bashers on this forum...

Post by zboy1 »

I love Asia and I like this forum and it's message, but oddly enough, there's lots of people who I call 'Asia bashers' that like to slam Asian countries and Asian people all the time here. Why is that?

I don't see people bashing Europe or Latin America as much, so if people aren't happy in Asia, why don't you guys go travel to those countries? Ladislav is a great example, as he pretty much hated most Asian countries and Asian people (except the Philippines), but found happiness in the Middle East.

I think, honestly, one reason why people have a hard time in Asia is because they're not Asian, so White and Black people tend to 'stick-out' like a sore thumb. So, as a result, many of them become resentful and angry. Now, you have people such as Yohan, AmericanInBangkok, Taco and others, who are totally happy here, and the angry expat stereotype doesn't apply to them. I know some expats who absolutely love it in Asia, so I guess I want to find out why they do well, while many don't?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Lot's of Asia bashers on this forum...

Post by MarcosZeitola »

I think the number one reason that determines whether or not someone is positive about a country, is the circles in which he mingles, the people with whom he talks, the girls he dates and the locations he visits. It is very easy to develop a negative opinion of a place just because you had one or a few negative experiences. However, I find that many men who return with negative stories did not think their trip through well, or only visited crowded cities or tourist locations. Some only went for the low hanging fruit, others arrogantly refused to try any of the local food, and then there are those who move abroad and only hang out with the expat community rather then deal with the locals. Some got conned by girls on the internet, or later by their families.

A lot of people who criticize the Philippines, for example, went to the big cities. They went to Manila, they went to Angeles City. They may have visited some overrated tourist spots, stayed in some overpriced hotels and got driven around in overpaid cabs. They slept with bargirls and they ate at fastfood chains, and returned with stories about how the Filipinos are "low class", "inferior", or not to be trusted. They find the place soulless, they did not find what they were looking for, but did they ever REALLY try?

A lot of people who go to Asia probably fail because of the same reasons: they go where everybody goes, they chase after damaged goods, they go there unprepared, get scammed, get sick, get their hearts broken, and return home bitter. Planning their trip better, going to different places and hanging with different people would have them return with stories of a paradise on earth, but just a few different choices make all the difference between Heaven and Hell.

As for the bashers, Zboy, I would not be too bothered. I have a tendency of getting very defensive when I see people making unfair generalizations and ridiculous claims, but at the end of the day the only people who suffer from their bitter attitude and refusal to think outside the box and take accountability for their own actions, are the bashers themselves. It's their choice, and their right, to talk shit. And it's my right to point out what they say is shit. I just hope some of the people reading the forum won't be discouraged to give certain countries a try, just because a few assholes decided to unfairly bash these countries into oblivion.

People will believe what they want to believe. Let them. Asia is better off without these negative cunts anyway. :D
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

MarcosZeitola wrote: People will believe what they want to believe. Let them. Asia is better off without these negative c**ts anyway. :D
So true, bro. So true...
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

I have limited knowledge about Asia having only been to Japan, South Korea, and Singapore. However, that region is still in play when I start my early retirement a year and a half (bit of bragging there).

The Anglosphere is out, Latin America is out, Caribbean is out, Western and Northern Europe are out, and Africa is out. That leaves Eastern Europe and Asia left for me to consider only.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Some people prefer red over blue. Don't take it personally just because you like one and someone else doesnt. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

zboy1 wrote:I love Asia and I like this forum and it's message, but oddly enough, there's lots of people who I call 'Asia bashers' that like to slam Asian countries and Asian people all the time here. Why is that?

I don't see people bashing Europe or Latin America as much, so if people aren't happy in Asia, why don't you guys go travel to those countries? Ladislav is a great example, as he pretty much hated most Asian countries and Asian people (except the Philippines), but found happiness in the Middle East.

I think, honestly, one reason why people have a hard time in Asia is because they're not Asian, so White and Black people tend to 'stick-out' like a sore thumb. So, as a result, many of them become resentful and angry. Now, you have people such as Yohan, AmericanInBangkok, Taco and others, who are totally happy here, and the angry expat stereotype doesn't apply to them. I know some expats who absolutely love it in Asia, so I guess I want to find out why they do well, while many don't?
The same people would likely do well anywhere. Asia is too large a place to catagorize. SE Asia alone, is quite varied. In my own case, I really appreciate a guest culture and the live and let live quality of the philppines. Most of it is dumpy third world...if that bothers you, go somewhere else. For all their flaws, I really like the philppines for its people. Even when I'm gone, part of me remains.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:I have limited knowledge about Asia having only been to Japan, South Korea, and Singapore. However, that region is still in play when I start my early retirement a year and a half (bit of bragging there).

The Anglosphere is out, Latin America is out, Caribbean is out, Western and Northern Europe are out, and Africa is out. That leaves Eastern Europe and Asia left for me to consider only.
I remember a year or two ago that you wanted to relocate to Argentina. What made you change your mind? Furthermore, you are always welcomed to create a response and send it to my inbox. Listen, I know I said I wanted to check out New Zealand, and maybe you lost respect for me over that. I haven't gone, and I was just exploring plausible opportunities. I would become elated if you were render me a response to my inbox; you're one of my favorite astute posters on here.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

zboy1 wrote: ..... lots of people who I call 'Asia bashers' that like to slam Asian countries and Asian people all the time here. Why is that?

I don't see people bashing Europe or Latin America as much.....

..... you have people such as Yohan, AmericanInBangkok, Taco and others, who are totally happy here, and the angry expat stereotype doesn't apply to them. I know some expats who absolutely love it in Asia, so I guess I want to find out why they do well, while many don't?
I think, your comment is somewhat too wide in definition.

I would not call them all to be 'Asia Bashers' - You have to ask about to which Asian countries they refer and what are their complaints in detail.
I do not think most of them are slamming ALL Asian countries and ALL Asian men or ALL ASIAN women.

I cannot complain about Latin America, as it is far away from Europe and Japan, I was never there.

I cannot complain about EU and its social system, but I complain about Western women, about rampant feminism and about the Catholic Church in that region. My life in Europe as a child and young man up to my 20s was not nice at all.

About Asian countries - they are very different from each other, ASEAN is not like USA and its federal states or EU with its member-countries.

It took me some years to regulate my way of life in Asia and to find the best solution for myself.

I am now on an European working contract, live in Japan, with Japanese wife and 2 adult daughters, with second home in Thailand and with Philippine foster daughter - all is OK, nothing to complain anymore. The last 25 years or so of my life were really good.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

zboy1 wrote:I love Asia and I like this forum and it's message, but oddly enough, there's lots of people who I call 'Asia bashers' that like to slam Asian countries and Asian people all the time here. Why is that?
As told by my ex-GF in Japan, the "1/3 rule" says 1/3 of the expats will be happy and have a great time, 1/3 will have an "OK" or mediocre experience, and 1/3 will be unhappy (depressed, angry, pissed off, whatever).

There are people who successfully left behind unhappy lives and start anew in a foreign country. There are also those who had successful lives back home, move to foreign country and lost everything to a cheating spouse or some investment scheme in a bar. There are also ex-pat's who were happy, but as they age they become less desirable/employable and became unhappy.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

No place is going to be perfect, and, as was mentioned, just a few small choices can have a large impact on how much someone enjoys a particular place. I also think a lot can be determined by how much money one brings to the destination.

Japan would be nearly perfect for me, except for the cost of living. It is not much different than the USA. They also have no great visa alternatives to allow a digital nomad to stay long term.

South Korea is much better on cost of living and is NO. 1 for internet services. They have great infrastructure and a wide variety of food. Everything is very high quality. Unfortunately, a lot of services, especially technological, are difficult to attain for the foreigner not sponsored by a local company or without local friends to assist. Strangely, when I was in South Korea I loved it, and every expat I met there loved it. After I left, which was only for financial reasons, I got online and began to read about how it is such a horrible place. The experiences of the vast majority of posters was the complete opposite of what I saw when I was there.

The Philippines is very high on the list for cost of living. It is NO. 1 HANDS DOWN for visa issues, and we all know about the great people. I even like the food, which many seem to abhor. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, it is dumpy third world, with poor infrastructure and internet services are not very reliable. (at least not for the digital nomad) Although I never experienced any crime, I do keep hearing about it.

China is GREAT for cost of living and NO. 1 for sure on food. It has advanced cities and generally good infrastructure. The people can be hit or miss depending on what province one chooses and whether or not it is possible to adapt to the culture and language. It is probably the hands down winner for business opportunities and making money. Unfortunately, visa issues and registering with the police every time one changes location, can get to be a hassle. China is definitely DEAD LAST for internet. No matter what speed you paid for, you will only get it inside China on Chinese language sites. As soon as you need to connect to foreign sites, they will be dog slow, or completely blocked.

I think a big part of one's experience is what they are LOOKING for when traveling. The sad reality is most people on here are traveling purely for women, and so the quality of an Asian destination depends solely on that. A guy who went to Japan and got laid a lot would hail Japan as the greatest place on earth. Another guy who went to Philippines and got scammed and lost everything will say the place is the worst. Generally, we all know which is the better place for people traveling for women. Each person's experience will be different.

For me, because cost of living and super fast internet are very high priorities, I might choose South Korea. For my own future business plans, Japan may be the best place. I wish they were both priced like the Philippines with similar visa regulations. I wish they had the food of China.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

The_Adventurer wrote: South Korea is much better on cost of living and is NO. 1 for internet services. They have great infrastructure and a wide variety of food. Everything is very high quality. Unfortunately, a lot of services, especially technological, are difficult to attain for the foreigner not sponsored by a local company or without local friends to assist. Strangely, when I was in South Korea I loved it, and every expat I met there loved it. After I left, which was only for financial reasons, I got online and began to read about how it is such a horrible place. The experiences of the vast majority of posters was the complete opposite of what I saw when I was there.

It's like this forum. People that go on the internet are either special type of people or they say things they wouldn't say in real life because the internet is very anonymous.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

The_Adventurer wrote: South Korea is much better on cost of living and is NO. 1 for internet services. They have great infrastructure and a wide variety of food. Everything is very high quality. Unfortunately, a lot of services, especially technological, are difficult to attain for the foreigner not sponsored by a local company or without local friends to assist. Strangely, when I was in South Korea I loved it, and every expat I met there loved it. After I left, which was only for financial reasons, I got online and began to read about how it is such a horrible place. The experiences of the vast majority of posters was the complete opposite of what I saw when I was there.
What was your experience renting in SK? I hear some ex-pats complain about jeonse.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

momopi wrote:
What was your experience renting in SK? I hear some ex-pats complain about jeonse.
I was there during the worst of economic times. I probably should have remembered that when mentioning the cost of living because it was something like 1700 Won to the dollar in those days. Most places my friends had me look at offered monthly rent. Deposits were still outrageous, though, often equal to 18 months or two years of rent. That's still a lot less than paying 50% of the property value.

If the Won is stronger against the dollar, and property values have continued to skyrocket since that time, I can imagine it would be hell for expats today.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

The_Adventurer wrote: No place is going to be perfect
Japan would be nearly perfect for me, except for the cost of living. It is not much different than the USA. They also have no great visa alternatives to allow a digital nomad to stay long term.
I do not know how long you have not been in Japan. However exchange rate of the YEN changed a lot and compared to other ASEAN countries like Malaysia, Japan is not so expensive anymore. Plenty of cheap imported food, plenty of new construction of housings. About USA-Japan it has to be mentioned that Japan is free of any tipping, a strange custom, which makes expenses for restaurants, hotels and taxis and similar services much more expensive than what is written on the price list.

Visa for work requires employment/sponsorship, spouse visa with a Japanese national or Japanese long-term/permanent resident might be considered too - this regulation will not change in future, as there are too many Asians around Japan who want to enter, there are 1360 million Chinese, 100 million Filipinos, 100 million Vietnamese, 260 million Indonesians, 170 million Bangadeshi and so on and it is impossible to accept anybody who has not any employment contract in Japan, claiming to work as a freelancer, students who are claiming to teach themselves while working part-time, also plenty of fake-immigrants all the time etc.

About working/student visa, it should be mentioned that this includes full national insurance cover, not bad at all. There are many companies willing to sponsor jobs/training like international hotels, import/export companies, language schools, foreign government offices, special restaurants, fair organizers, shipping companies and so on.

Now there are more than 2 million foreigners in Japan. A major problem is housing/rent/sale/ in these few large international cities like Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, Fukuoka - just too many people around, if you can find work away from that dense urban areas, rent/sale of property is often up to 5 times cheaper in smaller cities.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Yohan wrote: Now there are more than 2 million foreigners in Japan. A major problem is housing/rent/sale/ in these few large international cities like Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, Fukuoka - just too many people around, if you can find work away from that dense urban areas, rent/sale of property is often up to 5 times cheaper in smaller cities.
I remember being in Kyoto or Nara, somewhere like that, and finding decent apartments for 50000 to 60000 yen per month. I thought that wasn't too bad. That's about equivalent to Shanghai, if you are far enough from the city centres. Problem is everything looks expensive after living in other parts of China or Philippines were you can get a great place for less than $200 USD per month. Then it's a tradeoff. Japan will be quieter, cleaner, safer, with better infrastructure and faster internet, but also more expensive.

I could get a job in an anime studio. I still have plenty of friends and contacts. But they are all in Tokyo. Worse still, the industry doesn't pay well, and I would make less than I do on my website. Not worth it just for the visa. I think it would be better to live there part of the year on tourist visas and jump over to Cebu, or somewhere, for other months.