Where do you go for a drink in the Philippines?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Where do you go for a drink in the Philippines?

Post by Johnny1975 »

Apart from girlie bars and sitting around on the street, where do you go for a drink? There doesn't seem to be any ordinary bars like you'd find in most places in the world. What's up with that? And no nice cafes either. I like the idea of grabbing a beer and a snack, and sitting and watching the world go by, but it doesn't seem possible there. Or is there something I'm missing?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 8th, 2020, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Re: Where do you go for a drink in the Philippines?

Post by hammanta »

Johnny1975 wrote:Apart from girlie bars and sitting around on the street, where do you go for a drink? There doesn't seem to be any ordinary bars like you'd find in most places in the world. What's up with that? And no nice cafes either. I like the idea of grabbing a beer and a snack, and sitting and watching the world go by, but it doesn't seem possible there. Or is there something I'm missing?
Where are you at? Big cities like Manila and Cebu have a bunch of regular bars to go to. High end bars in Manila can be found in Greenbelt and Resorts world as well as BGC. I personally prefer to go and sit and listen to live cover bands. I was in Manila 2 weeks ago and went to the Mall of Asia (behind it) and found a few nice spots to sit by the bay, have a meal and beers while listening to some quality music. Malate has some regular bars but is really seedy for the most part. Makati has bars around Glorietta and Greenbelt. Quezon City has some good spots but can't remember the name of the area.

If you are in Cebu, Mango Square is where the nightlife is. Expect a lot of whores to be around though. Checkout Howling Wolves I think it is. Owned by an American I believe and has a lot of foreigners. Kinda a girly bar but they aren't forceful. Also check out MO2 club for live music and cheap alcohol or LIV (dance club though).
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Johnny1975 wrote:Apart from girlie bars and sitting around on the street, where do you go for a drink? There doesn't seem to be any ordinary bars like you'd find in most places in the world. What's up with that? And no nice cafes either. I like the idea of grabbing a beer and a snack, and sitting and watching the world go by, but it doesn't seem possible there. Or is there something I'm missing?
Every city I have been to in the Philippines have plenty of bars, restaurant/bars, taverns - whatever you want to call them.

People love to drink in the Philippines and there is no limit as to where to go to get what you want.

And best of all - San Miguel is cheap!
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Hotels/resorts/restaurants. Especially in the beachy area's.

Never had a problem. You don't even have to stay overnight in a lot of the hotels and resorts to grab a meal and a drink providing they have the facilities. If they've got a swimming pool, you can use that too albeit for a small fee.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Well if the Philippines has the equivalent of this...

"british pub" : https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=briti ... AQ_AUIBigB

"spanish bar" : https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spani ... 0Q_AUIBygC

...that would be nice, but I've yet to see it.

"Philippines bar" : https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=phili ... kQ_AUIBygC

"Philippines drinking" : https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=phili ... oQ_AUIBygC
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

You can drink pretty much anywhere in PI, it's more about where and what kind of people you want to surround yourself with. The typical Western style bar isn't really popular in this country, but if you're in one of the major cities usually there are a few that foreigners have opened up. Generally the "resto-bar' is what is in vogue, it varies from a shithole to highend depending on location and clientele. Basically tables and chairs out in the open where people order buckets of beer while listening to live music or Karaoke. I don't really like it but that's what the local prefer rather than what is considered a proper bar or pub environment that a Westerner would prefer.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
filousophe
Freshman Poster

Post by filousophe »

Filipino here.

you can check places in Makati or Bonifacio Global City. good stuff in there.