Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

China's Rich Girls - 101 East (Al Jazeera documentary)

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: China's Rich Girls - 101 East (Al Jazeera documentary)

Postby MarcosZeitola » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:19 am

gnosis wrote:
zboy1 wrote:I like living in China and traveling in Asia, but Asians lust for money, status and power are why some people detest Asians, the same way some people detest Jews.

Yeah, but to put some of this in perspective, part of the reason for this is the after-effects of communism. People who live under communist regimes become more materialistic as a response to the repression. When the communist regime dissolves or loosens up, you often have rampant materialism.

Look at what happened with former soviet Russia, for example.

I'm not sure if this is neccesarily the results of communism, or its after effects. After all, Chinese people have historically put a lot of importance on being financially well off. Chinese laborers went abroad in massive numbers during the 19th century, and they did very well in setting up business. In Indonesia, for example, they came as simple laborers but ended up practically owning the plantations, as they were the first to open up little stores on the side for the other laborers. In many new towns, they were the first to bring business and economy, and their descendents built up on that. They are an industrious people, and if you look at the richest families in many other Asian nations, they tend to have Chinese roots. They have that in common with the Jews.

To say Chinese people are the way they are simply because of communist repression, is simply incorrect or at the very least oversimplified. I think it's hard-wired in many a Chinese person's DNA: must work hard, no fun allowed, make money so my kids will be better off. Now we just have a new generation, children of the globalizing world, milennials, who are starting to spend the money their parents and grandparents broke their backs over to earn.
MarcosZeitola
Experienced Poster

Postby Rock » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:24 am

zboy1 wrote:Chinese people are incredibly materialistic and greedy, whether they are overseas, Taiwanese, Hong Konger's or Mainlander's. That's one of the things that most annoy me about the country.

I like living in China and traveling in Asia, but Asians lust for money, status and power are why some people detest Asians, the same way some people detest Jews.

I find it very telling that after having spent over a year in China and with plans to remain there for your foreseeable future , you still choose to date a Filipina who is living in Philippines. When you speak of Asian's lust for money, status, and power, I guess you don't include Filipinos under that umbrella.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Yohan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:38 am

MarcosZeitola wrote:..... if you look at the richest families in many other Asian nations, they tend to have Chinese roots.

I think this is more because there are so many Chinese, compared to all other people in Asia, however there are also many Indians and you can say the same about them.

Indians are everywhere in Asia, from textil-trading in Thailand up to banking in HongKong and IT-business in Japan etc.

zboy1 wrote:
Chinese people are incredibly materialistic and greedy, whether they are overseas, Taiwanese, Hong Konger's or Mainlander's. That's one of the things that most annoy me about the country.

It is even worse with Indian people, in countries where you find both of them, Chinese and Indians, like in Malaysia for example, you can compare them and you will agree with me.

If a Chinese is doing some business and he is cheated, the guy who was cheating him was 100 % from India.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Postby Bao3niang » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:54 pm

It is sad to see how traditional Asian philosophy and spirituality DE-EMPHASIZE the focus on wealth and status, but the world including Asia is moving away or has long moved away from these truths.

@yick The girl in Canada. I don't think she'd be a good girlfriend or wife, not at all. Good Chinese girls would not consider moving abroad, there's just too much to leave behind in their home country. If she were introduced to me, I'd be wary because I know that FOBs are already a lost cause. "Classy" women like her would not even take a look at a simple, nerdy and introverted guy like me. Pushing each other away is mutual. From my perspective it's wisdom, from the perspective of a woman like her, it's a lack of attraction. I'm not the type of guy she desires, nor is she the type of woman I know I'd be compatible with.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Previous

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand