Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby Will N. Dowd » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:28 am

Yes it's true, due to a chance encounter, I was the only foreign model at a fashion show at a mall in the Philippines this past weekend. It was all because I went to the same mall a few weeks ago to meet a girl who was late as they usually are. I sat down at a cafe while waiting for her, and noticed an obviously gay guy and 2 girls sitting across from me that kept looking at me. The guy was painting his eyebrows and kept smiling at me, and asked me where I was from. We started chatting and I quickly told him I was there to meet a girl so he knew I was straight.

He said he was the owner of a modeling agency and the 2 girls were his assistants. They told me I looked like a model, but I said sorry I'm not, but I had done a few fashion shows when I was a teenager, and took a course on how to become one many years ago. Anyways, one thing led to another and the guy asked me If I could be the guest model at his fashion show in 3 weeks time. I thought he was joking at first, but he was serious, and I agreed to volunteer to do it, since it would give me something to do besides meet girls. The other reason I agreed of course was it would give me the chance to meet some girl models, which it did, but not the kind I had hoped for.

We had 4 practice sessions at the agencies office, and I had to take a taxi there, since it was far and I had no idea how to get there. The first time I showed up, other people there stared at me and asked me if I was lost, but I said no, I'm here for the practice. The place was flooded with young girls, and a few guys, but the ratio was about 3 to 1 girls. I mentioned previously that the girls were not the kind I was looking for, and it was for 2 reasons. Out of the 70 or so girls there, only about 6 were 18 or over, and most seemed to be between 11 and 15. They didn't look their age though, they looked older because of makeup and the high heels they were all wearing to make up for the fact they were almost all so short. I would ask them their age and assumed they were 18 or 19 only to find out they were usually 12 or 13! The other reason was they were for the most part not attractive, even if they would have been over 18. Out of all the girls there only about 12 were cute, and half of them were minors. But a few of the underage girls that were attractive were really spectacular. Looking at them was quite torturous, I felt like I was in high school again but couldn't hit on them.

Sometimes I admit I felt pretty out of place there. I was much older and taller than everyone else, and obviously white not brown. All the guy trainers were obviously gay, and would often stare at me and smile and say hi sir! The many girls were for the most part underage, and would also stare at me and giggle, but most would scatter if I would try to talk to them. The older ones were more friendly but still very shy and some seemed genuinely scared. The other guy models were friendly, but had poor English so we didn't talk much. The kids parents looked at me like I was a space alien, and I was even 10 years older than most of them.

It turns out the place was actually a modeling school. So I assumed the people there would be actual models, but what they were is students wanting to be models, and instead of getting paid to model, they were paying for the course in how to become one. Anybody could sign up, regardless of age or looks, so that's why so few girls and guys there actually looked like ones. Most had brought their Mums with them, every single one of whom were your typical 30 or 40 something bloated face chubby Filipinas that looked 60 something. I was exempt from paying for the course, which cost 2000 pesos. The course consisted of mastering the art of walking the right way, posing and having an expressionless poker face. Most of the girls had trouble walking in high heels and they would often fool around and not take the whole thing seriously. The trainers would then get mad at them, so I offered to make a speech telling them to smarten up. They accepted and I told them that they should take the whole thing seriously, since if they did become a model they might become famous and get a chance to work abroad, every Filipinas dream. A few of the girls thanked me for my inspiring speech, even if it didn't seem to change much.

The last practice session went until 2 am the night before the show, and I went home exhausted. The day of the show everyone had to show up very early for makeup and hair, but I told them I would do that myself at home, which I did. I have a white persons skin color concealer I use sometimes, and I put it on and did my hair the best I could. I'm glad I did it myself because when I showed up there, the makeup the guys and girls had on was totally overdone and they looked weird. They told me I looked natural, which is what I wanted. So the show starts in afternoon at Gmall, with loud music, lights camera, and thousands of people watching. It went on for about 2 hours, everyone taking turns going on stage in different outfits. I went on 3 times in 3 different clothes. The total time I was on the runway, was less than a minute, about 15 seconds each time. Needless to say that the hours of preparation seemed a waste for the time on stage.

Once it was over, we kept our last outfits on and were in the mall taking photos with each other. I had many, many people come up and ask me to take photos with them and their kids, which I did of course. It went on and on until I changed into my regular clothes, and then it even continued after that. I guess it's normal since I was the only foreign model at the show, and was announced as that when I went on stage the last time. I had told some girls I had met I would be doing it, and 4 of them actually showed up to watch me! Once everyone was finished with the photos, I waited for my regular girl to come after her work, and we went home and banged and it was spectacular as it always is with her. She couldn't watch me at the show because she was working as usual.

It was an interesting and fun experience and I'm glad I did it. If I did it again I would agree to be a model, but would refuse to practice. The time spent practicing was way too long given the very short time on the runway. Yes, I met a lot of girls there, but out of all the 70 or so girls there, literally one of the over 18 girls was single and she was only average. The others all said they had boyfriends. So it was a bust for meeting 18 or over single girls. I was the tallest and oldest there by a mile, even the oldest guy model was 22 and the tallest was 4 inches less than me. I was even taller than the tallest girls wearing high heels. They all thought I was 20 something, as they usually do. Every single guy that worked for the agency was obviously gay, so I made sure to tell them all I like girls. After the show I became facebook friends with a couple of the girls, and since then I have been flooded with facebook friend requests from other girls and the gay guys. Most of the girls were terribly shy and wouldn't even talk to me at the show, but they will send me friend requests and chat me online but not in person...weird. I might meet one of the 17 year old girl models at the mall soon, she is small but cute with a killer body and seems not too shy. The agency photographer took some photos of me posing and walking on the runway, so I'm using them on my dating website profile.
User avatar
Will N. Dowd
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:09 am
Location: Never Land







Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby starchild5 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:10 am

wow.good to see white people getting their fair share of opportunities in Asia...

Asian's leech of white culture and become model in America..its time...White People become one too in Asia
User avatar
starchild5
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1661
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:32 am

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby Winston » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:32 am

That sounds like fun. Did they take any pictures or videos of you? If so, did they post them online anywhere?

How much were you paid for the gig? Did you meet any female models or get their number? Which mall was this for?

I used to work for a modeling agency in Nevada too, called Model Talent Universe: http://www.modeltalentuniverse.com

They had me recruit girls for modeling or acting by flirting with them at the mall at a kiosk where I cold approached them. It was the most fun job I ever had. Totally fit my personality too. I could hit on girls and cold approach them for a legal business purpose. lol
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23604
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby chanta76 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:12 pm

starchild,

Are you kidding me? In Asia they always used white models since the Western market is BIG still. Walk down Tokyo or Seoul and look at the bill board and see how many white faces are plaster. And you say Asian leeches off of white culture? Holy crap .. Do you secretly want to be white? I don't think Asians are big in the model industry in the west nor are they big in any of the western media. It's still a white dominate world. I think sometimes you off your meds.
chanta76
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby The_Adventurer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:53 pm

chanta76 wrote:starchild,

Are you kidding me? In Asia they always used white models since the Western market is BIG still. Walk down Tokyo or Seoul and look at the bill board and see how many white faces are plaster. And you say Asian leeches off of white culture? Holy crap .. Do you secretly want to be white? I don't think Asians are big in the model industry in the west nor are they big in any of the western media. It's still a white dominate world. I think sometimes you off your meds.


When I was still living in Korea, I was standing by a billboard that I was used to seeing everyday, and I asked a Korean businessman that I was with, why they use white models. He simply said that Korean models charge too much and so many companies use eastern european models because they work very cheap.
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
User avatar
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1384
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:17 pm

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby chanta76 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:55 pm

adventurer,

It's only half true. They import Eastern European Models into Seoul but not just Seoul..look at Tokyo..They use lots of white models. They do that because in the fashion industry it's still dominated by the west.

So I have no idea what the f**k starchild is saying. Starchild just say you want to be white and think life be better for you instead of being brown person.

In places like China , South KOrea or Japan. If you speak the language somewhat and not even fluent and look half way decent white person . It's not too hard to get on TV or even become a model. They have TV shows where sometimes the host is white person speaking broken Korean or Japanese. So StarChild is f***ing WRONG. You have loads of Asian Americans who speak English fluent and they still have wall to break down into Hollywood. There are 6% Asians living in America but not even 6% are represented in the media.

In Asia they get boat load of American TV shows and Hollywood so Asians are exposed to white faces but not the other way around. Sure the internet you can download a korea drama but if you lived in South Korea and watch TV you see American shows dub in Korea. That's why it's easier for white people in Asia to be looked upon in a positive light. You get a white person who speaks the language and know the culture and respect the culture watch out !That white person is IN but not the other way around for Asians in the west.

Look at Will N-Dodd his middle age man but because his white and tall he was able to model at some local mall but I think this would only work in the Philippines. Places like South Korea and Japan you got the young and better looking white guys that want to model.
chanta76
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby starchild5 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:05 am

chanta76 wrote:starchild,

Are you kidding me? In Asia they always used white models since the Western market is BIG still. Walk down Tokyo or Seoul and look at the bill board and see how many white faces are plaster. And you say Asian leeches off of white culture? Holy crap .. Do you secretly want to be white? I don't think Asians are big in the model industry in the west nor are they big in any of the western media. It's still a white dominate world. I think sometimes you off your meds.


I meant the whole package...Its so easy to make it in the west for Asian's but not for white guy to make it in Asia..I just mentioned about Models because the OP was mentioning about Models but as I have written earlier.

An Asian can become literally anything in white countries from Nurse to Doctors to Engineers to Lawyers to models to actors...How many White Doctors you see in Asia, How many lawyers, actors?

Ask white people how easy it is to get through the Visa process to make it in Asia...

Do you see any Bruce Lee of White Guy in Asia..How many Hong Kong Movies, Korean Movies, Japanese Movies have a lead white actor.

Asian and Asian-American Actors & Actresses in Hollywood

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls050592553/

Looks like my post hurt your Asian feelings.

Its shameful that developed countries like Korea and Japan still discriminate...

A white guy cannot just go to Korea and do what he likes..Can He...

I can go to any white countries and do whatever the F**ck I want with regards to my profession and I will be fine...

The entire force of retarded Asian law will fall on a white guy..if he opens a chiropractic clinic in Asia...

Norwegian Chiropractor arrested by Pattaya Immigration Police

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/140499/norwegian-chiropractor-arrested-by-pattaya-immigration-police/

On Tuesday afternoon, Immigration Officers conducted an undercover operation at a Chiropractor Clinic in Jomtien which was allegedly being run by a Norwegian who was not licensed to practice in Thailand and had no permit to Work.

The operation centered around the “Back in Motion” Clinic, located on the Second Floor of a shop-house on the Thepprasit Road close to the entrance of Soi 10 which was reportedly run by Mr. Vincens Steen aged 37 from Norway.

An undercover foreign operative was used to purchase a treatment from Mr. Steen who was then arrested by Immigration Officers and taken to the Chonburi Immigration Office in Soi 5 off Jomtien Beach Road. In addition intravenous drugs were seized at the location and taken into evidence.

Further investigations into Mr. Steen confirmed that he was on a Student “ED” Visa and did not possess a Work Permit or the correct licenses to undertake Chiropractic Services in Thailand, despite claims he worked as a Physiotherapist for a well-known Thai Premier League Football Team.

====================

Asian's have lost all excuse to be lower than Moron's....They are just on the edge of retardness...

Forgot about Duel Pricing for Western Tourists in Asia...

You cannot defend the border line fools called Asian's all the time based on words alone..lets see what action they do to bring equality....only excuse is foreigners will take the job away...LOL.

If more talented people come in..They produce more jobs...like how America benefited with immigrants...from all out the world including Russia...

All Asian's want is English teachers.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Not people with brains :mrgreen:
User avatar
starchild5
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1661
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:32 am

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby The_Adventurer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:46 am

Come on chanta76. In most cases those foreigners are up there to be gawked at like zoo animals, and they are often made out to be buffoons. If it's a drama, the white dude is always some cheesy villain, or some huge, overbearing, moustache dude like that captain in Godzilla Final Wars. And when have you ever seen a white guy get the girl? With the possible exception of Dashan in China, or that black guy who speaks perfect Japanese, I have never seen any portrayal that wasn't totally negative.

I'm not counting that Korean ice train movie with Chris Evans (so there is at least one movie with a white lead) because that was obviously their attempt at making something to compete on the international market. That's no different than the French making films like The Fifth Element or Danny The Dog in English with international stars.

I don't know much about the fashion industry, but in product advertising, if you see a white guy selling something, it's going to be DiCaprio, Clooney, Jackman and the like, not just any old white guy. I know Korean nationalism well enough to know there is no white worship going on there, except perhaps in a minority of young people. I lived in South Korea and saw the TV every single day. Not once did I see an American TV show on the screen. I'm not saying they don't play there. I know they do, and remember Prison Break was very popular there, but I am talking about the level of market penetration. It's simply not pervasive (more like a handful than boat load). By comparison, I saw tons of Japanese cartoons on TV every single day. The cinemas, on the other hand, were dominated by Hollywood.

Asian Americans have a long way to go towards fair representation in Hollywood, but I can assure you they are doing far better than white foreigners anywhere in Asia. They are integrated and get to play real roles, cops, doctors, lawyers, teachers, scientists and other positive figures, and rarely are presented very negatively like blacks or hispanics. They certainly aren't presented as zoo attractions and buffoons like white foreigners in Asia.
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
User avatar
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1384
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:17 pm

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby Adama » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:58 pm

Winston wrote:That sounds like fun. Did they take any pictures or videos of you? If so, did they post them online anywhere?

How much were you paid for the gig? Did you meet any female models or get their number? Which mall was this for?

I used to work for a modeling agency in Nevada too, called Model Talent Universe: http://www.modeltalentuniverse.com

They had me recruit girls for modeling or acting by flirting with them at the mall at a kiosk where I cold approached them. It was the most fun job I ever had. Totally fit my personality too. I could hit on girls and cold approach them for a legal business purpose. lol


I believe you, Winston. However, have you double checked the functionality of that website? And aren't women constantly emailing and mailing photos to modeling agencies? They should be overflowing with applicants. Why would they need you? And why would you leave such a job?
Look for women who automatically want to please you because it pleases them. Any woman who seeks to please her man is a treasure. Even better if you don't have to ask but rather suggest.
User avatar
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3949
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby starchild5 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:28 am

The_Adventurer wrote:Come on chanta76. In most cases those foreigners are up there to be gawked at like zoo animals, and they are often made out to be buffoons. If it's a drama, the white dude is always some cheesy villain, or some huge, overbearing, moustache dude like that captain in Godzilla Final Wars. And when have you ever seen a white guy get the girl? With the possible exception of Dashan in China, or that black guy who speaks perfect Japanese, I have never seen any portrayal that wasn't totally negative.

I'm not counting that Korean ice train movie with Chris Evans (so there is at least one movie with a white lead) because that was obviously their attempt at making something to compete on the international market. That's no different than the French making films like The Fifth Element or Danny The Dog in English with international stars.

I don't know much about the fashion industry, but in product advertising, if you see a white guy selling something, it's going to be DiCaprio, Clooney, Jackman and the like, not just any old white guy. I know Korean nationalism well enough to know there is no white worship going on there, except perhaps in a minority of young people. I lived in South Korea and saw the TV every single day. Not once did I see an American TV show on the screen. I'm not saying they don't play there. I know they do, and remember Prison Break was very popular there, but I am talking about the level of market penetration. It's simply not pervasive (more like a handful than boat load). By comparison, I saw tons of Japanese cartoons on TV every single day. The cinemas, on the other hand, were dominated by Hollywood.

Asian Americans have a long way to go towards fair representation in Hollywood, but I can assure you they are doing far better than white foreigners anywhere in Asia. They are integrated and get to play real roles, cops, doctors, lawyers, teachers, scientists and other positive figures, and rarely are presented very negatively like blacks or hispanics. They certainly aren't presented as zoo attractions and buffoons like white foreigners in Asia.


Well said..Zoo Attraction is the apt word as far as integration of white's into Asia...

1. Asian's are inferior to white race....in many aspects

2. We only entertain White's in Asia...as long as it suits us...like English teachers... :lol:

3. Lets not kid ourselves..Asian men cannot ever compete against the Caucasian race looks in Modelling, Acting...White race may suck in relationships but when it comes to creative art..they simply are unbeatable 8)

4. There are faults with Caucasian race as well but their skills can really transform Asia...if any country openly allows whites to work in Asia..it will become a developed country in a decade...Just let white race run like wild animals in your country...and they will turn it into a developed country in no time.

5. Sure there will be high divorce rate in Asia but that's because if you force religion on them and monogamy...

All a white guy ever need is Pattaya/Angeles city like Atmosphere near by ..No monogamy BS and free hand on whatever the f**ck he wants to do as far as his profession is concerned..and that Asian city will be like ....

Image

White race will relate to these kinds of cities as their ancient history was more advanced before THE FORCE attacked and destroyed it and brought them on earth...but if given free hand again...Those cities they live would again be like those on Star Wars movies
User avatar
starchild5
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1661
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:32 am

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby Will N. Dowd » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:24 am

Winston wrote:That sounds like fun. Did they take any pictures or videos of you? If so, did they post them online anywhere?

How much were you paid for the gig? Did you meet any female models or get their number? Which mall was this for?


They had some videos taken but none I know of me. Just one pic on the runway they posted on facebook with other pics.
The gig was volunteer. The others had to pay 2000 pesos for the course, or sell 20 front row tickets to the show at 100 pesos each to cover the cost of the course, or pay the difference if you didn't sell all the tickets. Again, this was a modeling school for models to be. That's why they were paying, and not being paid. It was a fun experience and I met many people, but the vast majority were gay guys or under 18 girls, so not who I was hoping to meet. The few over 18 girls were not cute really and not single apparently.
User avatar
Will N. Dowd
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:09 am
Location: Never Land

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby chanta76 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:15 am

adventurer and starchild,

I have to disagree. There is racism in Asia and yes they can be nationalistic at times but the biggest propaganda machine you have throughout Asia is Holly Wood films. Since you lived in Korea you must of watch TV shows in Korea. They have loads of American shows in Korea. To local Asians what they see can influence their thinking. Its called media exposure.

I mean growing up kids thought I knew Kung fu just because I was Asians. It's like that stereotype.

Your speaking about why not get white people in local Asian shows? Since you lived in South Korea and Japan you seen your fellow expats and some of your answer is there. However, for other expats that took the time to learn the language and actually learn the culture they do live in the country and are more than ESL teachers. They have regular jobs or even open up businesses. Part of the reason why you don't see too many westerns is because overall the population number is small but let say it grew. I bet they would have easier time making it or breaking barriers compared to Asians in the west.

Asian Americans just like black Americans had to fight for civil rights and there still is a glass ceiling in some industry. Asians people have been living in the USA for more since the turn century but I think StarChild you feel that the west should be a white man countries and no ones else.

I think starchild is stuck in India and doesn't understand. There is Indian expat population in the UK just like USA. In the media they are way under represented.


You mentioned about other industry or visa. Places like Singapore and Hong Kong has allot of western international expats with MBA, PHD ..CFA etc..working in high industry. This also applies to South korea and Japan. When I was in South Korea I met international students from Europe and Canada that were getting there MBA in South Korea..they were taking Korean courses. If they can learn the language and culture they end up working for a big conglomerate .

Adventurer you even worked in Japan as a anime artist for example. The thing is a quality expat can do well in Asia.Is there discrimination yes but it depends on the expats. Many expats don't want to learn the language or the culture. I hate to say but many of the expats that go to Asia are like Will N Dodd...just looking for sex. Locals people are not dumb they know the sexpats ..but still a qaulity decent expat can do well.

Here in the USA there is over representation of Asians in higher University but a under representation of Asians in management in top 500 companies. Asians just can't do what they want. Sorry starchild get out of India live in USA or UK and you start to understand but I think you see the west as white men countries so therefore people of color shouldn't have a chance.

Adventurer as a black guy I'm not sure what your full experience was in Asia but I knew one black guy in Korea . He had no trouble dating Korean girls ..he was popular ..in matter of fact if he went into a store the ajuma would give him a free discount just because he was a foreigner. Was I envious? Yes...because back in the states I knew NO asian guys that had this type of treatment. Now does this mean all expats will be treated this way? Probably not...

The problem with South korea or Japan is the language and culture is very different from the west..so allot of locals assume the foreigners don't know so they base their discrimination on that BUT if the expat (mostly applies to white) speaks the language well and knows the culture....different story.

However, here in the west....as an Asian guys..I experience hate or ignorance or looked down upon. i remeber going to a hong dae club ..in korea..there was a black guy DJ there and he was looked upon as a hero in a korean club.

now can this work with an asiaan guy dj in a black club...maybe..but looked as aa hero..no.
chanta76
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby The_Adventurer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:10 am

chanta76, you are not making fair comparisons. First of all Hongdae is a foreigner area. A lot of Korean young people LOVE black music. Even in their own pop music you have these Korean guys talking, "Yo, yo yo, Ima be this" and "Ima be that..." and trying to sound black. So you have a club in a foreigner area, with an audience already in love with black music. Of course they are going to look at an actual black guy, super rare in their world, playing that black music as a hero. That black guy is doing HIS thing, a BLACK thing for a receptive audience.

You want to make a fair comparison? Look at how Naruto creator Masashi Kishimoto is treated when he visits Anime Expo or Comicon in California. Look at how famous anime music composer Yoko Kanno is treated at these venues. She is not even remotely pretty but you have white dudes slobbering all over her like she is Beyonce. That's because these creators are doing THEIR thing for a receptive audience in the west. These people get standing ovations when they give their speech, or the draw a picture for the audience which watches on the edge of their seats. They are the heroes in that world.

People in Japan and Korea know that hip hop is a black thing, so they naturally want to see a black guy doing it. People in the west also know that hip hop is a black thing, so no one cares about seeing an Asian or white guy do it. Notice, when one does it well, like Eminem, he becomes something special. At the same time, people know anime and manga is an Asian thing. Try being a white guy or a black guy doing manga in America and see how you get treated. It's the same thing.
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
User avatar
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1384
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:17 pm

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby yick » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:21 am

I have lived in South Korea and now China, and if you want to know if there is any 'White God Factor' in China - just tune into 'Happy Chinese' on CCTV-4.

There are people of all colours on that show, happy to coon and Tom for the locals and make f***ing fools of themselves, which is all fine and dandy, but then a lot of people who watch that show think we are all the same. Two requests I got from my management.

'We want you to dress up as Santa at Christmas'

'No'

'Why not, foreigners are meant to be fun'

'OK then, I will dress as santa if you dress as my helper'

Image

'Yick - would you like to sing for us at a concert?'

'No'

'Awwww, you are no fun'

'Well, I will if you join me on stage'

Image

The reason westerners do well with Chinese women is nothing to do with skin colour but the fact that western men will engage with the local women, smile at them, say hello, open doors, look at them and acknowledge their existence, something most Chinese fellas refuse to do.
yick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Will N. Dowd Models at Philippines Fashion Show

Postby chanta76 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:14 pm

Yick,

It's called sexism in Asia . I think if there are more western expat bringing their western way of romance it does change the land scape but also may potential spoil the girl. I'm not saying I'm advocating misogyny but a big part of the reason why Asians women act traditional is because of the asian culture set up and how asian men treat them. None of this putting them on pedestal stuff but it's changing now drastically in Asia.

I think some of it is due to western TV shows ..and I seen this in South Korea. Korean girls want a guy to be more romantic. This is how it happened. Western shows influences some of the Korean media and you have what we have today. Its like Korea took it to whole new level.

There was a time in South Korea where a Korean guy just needed a decent job and that's it . Again I'm not defending being sexist but starting in the 80's - 90's you had more and more exposure of western media and music in South Korea. You had some Korean girls that prefer white guys (this also happened in Japan back in 90's) where if you were just a white guy and showed up it's not hard to get a decent Korean girl. Allot of it was base upon the western media exposure at that TIME but starting in 2000 it started to change in countries like Japan and South Korea. Why? Korean and Japanese girls would run to a white guy believing in that Hollywood stuff but it doesn't always pan out.


You mentioned about your company telling you to dress in Santa Claus outfit and it' seems stereotypical. It is but as you mentioned I think your in tier 3 (correct me) city we very few foreigners. It's like an Asian guy going to a country with less than 1% Asian and the locals call him Jet Li or Bruce Lee. Is it racist? yes but to the local they don't see it. They go by what they see in the media. My argument is that western media is world MEDIA. So that's white guys have that freedom to go where ever and the association good or bad is there.

As foreigners grow in population and if I was a betting man it be easier for westerns to integrate or even become a upper class in Asia. I think this is something you guys are missing. The association of a white person is that your from either Europe or North America and the assumption is that your from a wealthy country.
chanta76
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Next

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest