List of Freedoms in China that America Doesn't Have! What Western Media Never Tells You!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Re: 36 Freedoms in China That America Doesn't Have! Must See

Post by Guhji »

Eric, you're one of the few voices of reason on this site. This place is a watering hole for idiots and delusional losers, and Winston is the captain of this ship of fools. This guy is nothing but a fraud and a charlatan, peddling cheap fantasy to below average human beings who made bad choices in life and just plain didn't work hard enough. But you are what you are, and what you are will follow you around no matter where you are in the world.

Standards of living are rising everywhere, and if you're not getting ahead you're falling behind. A million bucks is not much money today, not anywhere in the world. You will never, ever come remotely close to touching any amount of real money by teaching English. That's a job for girls who won't need to be responsible for their life choices. Unfortunately, you are not a girl so what you do matters. I'm sorry to say this, but guys like you and Matt Hanson-tall, good looking white guys-just don't have any excuse. You were born to exist in the rarefied air, yet here you are wallowing in the muck of mediocrity, in the environs of a third world country, no less...just sad, but at least you're choosing to own it.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

A couple of freedoms you get in the United States (compared to Jakarta, Indonesia)

- Freedom not to have a street vendor block that narrow strip of what passes for a sidewalk so you have to walk in the street with there are a thousand motorcycles buzzing to the left of the cars (not in the middle of the lane).
- Freedom not to walk on a decent sidewalk that doesn't have some stupidly placed pole or barricade in the way.
- Freedom to use a marked cross walk that drivers actually honor.
- Freedom to have people stop when you cross the street instead of trying to drive around you and miss you by a few inches.
- Freedom not to have dozens of people pull their cars or motorcycles out right in front of your bumper if you leave a few inches between your car and the one in front of you when you are driving.
- Freedom to breath real air that is not mostly smoke.
- Freedom from inconsiderate people smoking up public areas with stinky cigarette smoke.
- Freedom from seeing trash all over the place.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Guhji wrote: Standards of living are rising everywhere, and if you're not getting ahead you're falling behind. A million bucks is not much money today, not anywhere in the world. You will never, ever come remotely close to touching any amount of real money by teaching English. That's a job for girls who won't need to be responsible for their life choices. Unfortunately, you are not a girl so what you do matters. I'm sorry to say this, but guys like you and Matt Hanson-tall, good looking white guys-just don't have any excuse. You were born to exist in the rarefied air, yet here you are wallowing in the muck of mediocrity, in the environs of a third world country, no less...just sad, but at least you're choosing to own it.
Not everyone wants the same job. English teaching is not a high paying job, but its what some people want to do. And it can provide a better lifestyle for a single person than a job at McDonald's that you can get while you wait for a real position to open up in the US. You can't collect unemployment if you haven't worked yet. There are people who do it long-term as a career. Teaching is a noble profession. Good for them.

I'm glad not to be getting paid such low wages anymore. But I've got too many mouths to support to afford it. If I'd have chosen the single celibate route for life, an English teacher's salary in Asia may have been more than enough for me.

If you can be a teacher at an international school, with US education certification and all, it pays okay. There are international schools all over the world. Some of the ritzier ones pay quite well. But they aren't places where you'd put in 30 hours including prep and spend the rest of the week exploring the city like you might at an English institute.

And an ambitious English teacher might be able to open and English school, hire other people, and make some decent money off their labor. But it is possible to live off an English teacher's salary, maybe even raise a family in some places. Plenty of men around the world do it.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

I know you're sorta right in what you say, but you sound out of touch. Where are you and what exactly are you doing? People have problems and unfortunately not all everything works out for everyone. We all have personal histories which may or may not set us back. With that said - I believe what you said is true; but that there is such anti-white rhetoric in the west definitely has an impact on whites getting ahead; You must be older or from a different generation, out of touch with those pressures that are prevalent for youth now. I know it definitely impacted me and my self esteem. That's no excuse, it's the truth. But I had really low self- esteem due to certain core other reasons; which I attribute to me really falling behind and getting derailed in life.
I just fell through the cracks. I had everything I needed to be successful, but fell through nonetheless...it happens. I had struggled with pathological perfectionism, which is absolutely devastating/debilitating to a life... and I fell prey to blame and self-destructive cycles. Instead of getting better - learning new skills, or just going the hard path to correct myself, my life went to shit. I'm grown now. I can't imagine where my life would have been otherwise now. It's been so long, so much time's elapsed.

I'm still here. I don't think what you say is 100% correct. But I don't think it's innacurate exactly either, there are a lot of forces in the West made to derail or set back or otherwise stop young white men from succeeding, they seem to come from ALL angles and directions.
All any of us can do is recognize the situation - work to make our lives better, own ourselves and work hard at growth, our goals and what we want to do to make our lives better and improve ourselves, fix our deficits.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

But, I would probably be in a high tier job, with benefits...live in a respectable environment and have status and be on a track. That's what my life would/could've played out as.

Not everyone is perfect. People don't come from this cookie cutter environment. I'd like to hear your story and where you're at/ your age, situation etc?
Thanks
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
D_Athlete
Freshman Poster

Post by D_Athlete »

Younger Western guys never had a chance. Our countries and governments sold us out to China/Asia, and now the Chinese are and are continuing to get filthy rich. Asians in general are getting rich, while the average American and European is becoming poor. It's only going to get worse, too. The future is downright scary, assuming China doesn't collapse.

Millionaires and billionaires are a dime a dozen in China now. Meanwhile, the average young Western man is struggling to survive.

This is in part why white males are losing status in China and Asia. There are more young Chinese guys out there now with more money than they know what to do with. More money than everyone on this forum combined will ever make in a lifetime. And they will spend it on hot Chinese girls like it's water. English teachers don't have a chance in hell.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

It's exactly the same in rest of the world EXCEPT for the Western developed world, and developed NE Asian countries.

It's the same in Thailand, Mexico, India, and so on.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

OutWest wrote:The naivete displayed here is par for the course. Yes, there are social freedoms in China in many ways that can also be found in many developing countries.
The sense of personal options can feel refreshing. Petition the government? Lol Property rights? The humor goes on! Petition all you want. Of course, you may very well end up in one of the countries many Black jails created for dealing with people like petitioners. Thousands are abducted at various points in their efforts and held for weeks, months or years and subject to all kinds of tortures that make water boarding look like a good time.

Of course, the special "Problem" people can get far worse. Executed criminal prisoners are not the only source of transplant organs, Sometimes house Christians or falun gong members are strapped down and butchered live for their organs, with the last being the removal of the heart. One horrified Chinese doctor fled the country after witnessing such an atrocity. He recalled with horror that the murdering doctors' hands did not even tremble as they butchered their victim.
Lol you seem like member traveler/mercury describing America, you forgot to add random stuff about AK-47s though
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Guhji wrote:Eric, you're one of the few voices of reason on this site.

Eric wrote:Stop making China sound like a paradise. Stop whining, Stop complaining. Fix yourself and take some responsibility for your unhappy life...that's how I see it.
Are you projecting again? Funny how the usual HA bashers now don't say "the problem is you"™ when clearly the dude has an attitude problem.
Eric nowhere will work if you don't work out these issues that consume you man, you don't even provide detailed information so people can help you.

Just to humor this a bit, this is what i picture happens when someone says "ni hao" to you

Last edited by droid on November 29th, 2016, 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

There's a British pastor I once heard say, that a man at about 40 years of age fully realizes the extent of everything he's done, and everything he's failed to do. I am a 41 year old Korean man. My hair is either falling out or turning grey. My stomach sags, my knees hurt. I'm not quite the lopsided human bowling ball that Winston is, but I'm not far off. My best days are behind me and I lie here in bed and wonder, as you sit and wonder 7k miles away and a decade younger, what went wrong? Where did I go wrong?

I did what I was told. I studied hard, hard enough to get into the University of Chicago. Some of my classmates went on to become hedge fund managers. I wonder why I didn't end up like one of them? Maybe because I was psychologically burdened by all the fears, doubts, insecurities, and low self esteem that you were/are afflicted by. I doubt it though, not unless you're a short, ugly, stumpy invisible Asian man. You had different problems, I guess.

I did go on to become gainfully selfemployed and accumulated enough cash and material possessions to live a comfortable, albeit mediocre life. Still undateable "invisible" Asian man, though. So, maybe my luck would change if I moved to a different country? Has yours? Has anyone's? Women see you for what you are, even if you don't, and it's only their opinion that matters.

Nobody cares about you, man. No one. Life of man is a warfare against the malice of other men. There is nobody on this earth willing or able to help you, and now you've really got to put on your running shoes because you're way behind. It doesn't matter that I'm out of touch or that you were the victim of "whatever". None of that matters, not now, not for you.

I don't know what you should do, but I guarantee you what you shouldn't do is teach English in China, or anywhere else.
No matter what anybody says differently, that is a bottom of the barrel job that will lead nowhere. You can do better. You should do better. My guess is that will involve a move back stateside and proceeding from there.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Winston wrote:36 Freedoms in China That America Doesn't Have

Groundbreaking comparisons you will NEVER hear in Western media

As we all know, the US media has always portrayed China negatively because it refuses to let Western liberalism and media to come in and take over. According to the Western media, China is not a "free country" because it doesn't hold elections in a "democratic process" like the countries in the "free world" do. And also, China does not allow its people to speak out against their government. Hence, they claim China has "no free speech" and hence is not a "free country".

However, there are many other freedoms that are more important than voting or criticizing your government that the US media ignores and never takes into account. What you never hear is that: Despite its lack of political freedoms, China offers a lot of social and personal freedoms that America doesn't have. The following is a compilation of social, personal and miscellaneous freedoms and benefits you get in China that you don't get in America. They are based on my many months of traveling in China as well as insights from fellow expats there. Some of them may sound trivial, but they add up cumulatively. I will try to put the most important ones at the top and explain why they are far more important and relevant to personal freedom than being able to vote or mock one's government.
This is fantastic material Winston.
Obviously China has it flaws and you are seeing it from the perspective of a foreigner with some resources instead of that of an average Chinese. But some guys are getting too hung on that.
You should make this part of your main site content Winston, together with some pictures and expanding some more on each item. You could almost make it an online book lol.

It's too much to quote, too many points, but i think some apply to where I am too

1. Freedom to be yourself and relax.

+1

2. Freedom to connect with others, especially women, and enjoy social connection.

+1

5. Freedom from high cost of living.

There is an obvious problem with this one, since we've made our dough in the states and spend it here, so it's not a fair comparison.
Having said that the difference is not orders of magnitude, as some would believe. One can compare a (in my case Vietnam) girl working at a coffee shop or factory making U$5-10 bucks a day and paying $20-100 for her place, she is not that far off from someone in America who makes a basic wage of $80/day but pays $500-$800 for an overpriced flat.

6. Freedom to sell goods on public streets as a vendor without a permit.

Both are too extreme, one is literally sterile/void of life, while in Asia the dirtiness/littering can be pretty bad.

7. Freedom to drink beer while walking on the street.

+1 Cops are a lot more laid back generally. You're absolutely right, they don't get a power trip. Unless things are political of course.
Also there aren't that many cops in every corner watching you all the time. I mostly see the traffic cops every couple of days, they do get bribes but their not on top of everyone all the time.

10. Freedom from gun violence, street violence and mugging.

But every country has it's own theme. Asia has the occasional knife-wielding guys and fights too. But yeah a lot more laid back.

11. Freedom to eat healthier food for cheap. Even if some of it is cooked with unhealthy oils.\

The oils and lack of hygiene are still a big problem though. Some will pick their nose and take your order next as if nothing.
On a couple of occasions I told waiters at hotels if they could heat up my bread since it was cold, and they went ahead and touched/grabbed the bread on my plate to see if it was really that cold lol haha.

12. Freedom from expensive healthcare.

True, orders of magnitude cheaper. I guess if you need specialized stuff you are screwed, but for the most part very cheap, even for locals.

18. Freedom from expensive home repair labor costs.

Again, it's costlier for locals of course, but still it's kept reasonable. Pretty much $5-$10 bucks will get you a couple hours of skilled work.
I remember paying U$700 for an electrician's day back home, he said his truck was worth $40k plus all the courses and tests.
One Important difference is that construction here is not as flimsy, made of brick and mortar and actual tile shingles, whereas in America unfortunatelly home construction techniques make periodical replacement$$ necessary.

TBC
D_Athlete
Freshman Poster

Post by D_Athlete »

Eric, have you slept with one Chinese girl (for free) since you've been in China?

I understand your pain. Beijing is such a miserable shit hole from what I've been told. The migrants there are some of the worst in the country, and are seemingly everywhere. Crowding up the subways, sidewalks, malls, stores. The weather and pollution is horrid. You probably should have picked a better city for your sanity, but I guess it's too late now, you'll have to make the best of it. How much longer do you see yourself in China?
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Guhji wrote:Eric, you're one of the few voices of reason on this site.
Have you actually followed Eric's posting history? Eric is the sorriest mental case of all: always gloomy, projecting his own faults onto other people, throwing pity parties for himself night and day, boiling with uncontrolled rage.
Guhji wrote:This place is a watering hole for idiots and delusional losers,
Speak for yourself. I'm not an idiot by any means and by many conventional standards I'm a resounding success. My sole "failure" consists in never marrying, never having children and mostly living alone. I admired the ancient philosophers when I was young, and aspired to live like one, my time my own, beholden to no one, traveling lightly through life. So I made my money quick, retired young, and travel now to fill the time and keep life fresh. I think I'm very happy, but you tell me I'm a delusional loser. Please elaborate.
Guhji wrote:and Winston is the captain of this ship of fools. This guy is nothing but a fraud and a charlatan,
He's a clown, same as me. You can laugh at life or you can cry over it. Laughter is better, I think.
Guhji wrote:peddling cheap fantasy to below average human beings who made bad choices in life and just plain didn't work hard enough. But you are what you are, and what you are will follow you around no matter where you are in the world.
Stop projecting. Some of us are simply playing the arbitrage game. Earn in a rich country, spend in a poor country, including spending on women. Easiest way I know to get double or more the effective spending power. All it takes is learning how the poor countries culture works and maybe learning the language.
Guhji wrote:Standards of living are rising everywhere, and if you're not getting ahead you're falling behind. A million bucks is not much money today, not anywhere in the world.
Who's delusional now? 2.5% on a million, which is an extremely conservative withdrawal rate, is over $2000/month. That's rich in most of the world, especially since passive income means you can spend all your time shipping around for bargains and location arbitraging. I actually find it hard to spend more than $2000/month unless I'm dumping money on a woman.

As for the critique of English teaching, you are correct there. But assuming Eric learns something about Chinese business customs and some Chinese language, those skills might be useful someday when he returns to the usa. All English teachers should be planning an exit strategy, since English teaching will be replaced by computers at some point.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Guhji wrote:There's a British pastor I once heard say, that a man at about 40 years of age fully realizes the extent of everything he's done, and everything he's failed to do. I am a 41 year old Korean man. My hair is either falling out or turning grey. My stomach sags, my knees hurt. I'm not quite the lopsided human bowling ball that Winston is, but I'm not far off. My best days are behind me and I lie here in bed and wonder, as you sit and wonder 7k miles away and a decade younger, what went wrong? Where did I go wrong?

I did what I was told. I studied hard, hard enough to get into the University of Chicago. Some of my classmates went on to become hedge fund managers. I wonder why I didn't end up like one of them? Maybe because I was psychologically burdened by all the fears, doubts, insecurities, and low self esteem that you were/are afflicted by. I doubt it though, not unless you're a short, ugly, stumpy invisible Asian man. You had different problems, I guess.
Projecting personal mediocrities doesn't mean we all see it the same as you do, the facts are. You did everything that was required by the people in your life who knew better (parents, teachers...) and you are still unhappy. But this isn't the same for everyone.
I did go on to become gainfully selfemployed and accumulated enough cash and material possessions to live a comfortable, albeit mediocre life. Still undateable "invisible" Asian man, though. So, maybe my luck would change if I moved to a different country? Has yours? Has anyone's? Women see you for what you are, even if you don't, and it's only their opinion that matters.
Yes, mine has. As for women, they shouldn't be the reason you move abroad, a good woman is just a positive aspect of a move abroad.

I don't know what you should do, but I guarantee you what you shouldn't do is teach English in China, or anywhere else.
No matter what anybody says differently, that is a bottom of the barrel job that will lead nowhere. You can do better. You should do better. My guess is that will involve a move back stateside and proceeding from there.
You have a mediocre job because you live a mediocre life (your words) am I correct or what?

You can stay in America with the safety of mediocrity and no-one will care.

I teach English in China and love my life and I love teaching English - I have done proper shitty jobs in my life so I know what a proper shitty job is, teaching English is not it.

The thing is though, and you've stated it - if you teach English abroad or you are a hedgefund manager in the United States (or whatever it is you do) - you are doomed to a life of mediocrity.

Thing is - most grown ups get over the disappointment of global domination, becoming the world heavyweight champion and get on with living their life of mediocrity, the difference between us I think - and it is a big one - is I choose what mediocrity I partake in and am generally happy, you do not and are bitter - if you actually became an English teacher in China - you won't be any more mediocre than you are now.

Instead of telling Eric to do better, why don't you do better?

I will give you some credit with what you said in the post previous to this one, Matt Hanson nor Eric haven't any real reason to go abroad to find women, tall, white guys in America will get someone decent if they want to. That I agree with.
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

Again Yick makes some good points. Guhji can you explain to me how being a hedge fund manager is a good use of your days on planet earth? A Hedge fund manager is just stressed out trying to add zeros to wealthy people's people's investments. How does that make you a good human being? I for one would chose English teaching over such a soulless existence - and I find English teaching pretty soulless too! Your posts stink of the I'm a loser, but you're a bigger loser one-up-man-ship. You remind me of Kradmelder in being completely at odds with what this forum is about, he preaches keep to your own culture and only have sex with your own race. He does know that this is a board called Happier Abroad and that most guys here are interested in mixing with people of other races and cultures? You guys are boring, spinning the same old lines that most of us have been hearing our whole lives. We need some fresh air. It's an interesting topic - social freedoms in contemporary mainland China. Do you know anything about that?

I've seen so many threads descend into bashing English teachers as losers, not just on this forum but others too. Does this have to be another one? This is about social freedoms in China for (American) expats, based on responding to Winston's original essay. There are lots of threads here about Eric's unhappiness too, that's all he can talk about. Does this need to be another counseling session? Especially as he won't give details on what actually has happened to him to make him so upset. I wish him well, but what we need more of is people who are able to use their own experiences and observations to identify some general trends. In the end you'll feel happier if you can share information and understand why things happen rather than use the old you don't have a great job in the West so your a loser or it's because of your race that things are f***ed.

I can go anywhere on the internet and see the 'oh my God the people here are messed up', Christ, what a bore!! There are many interesting things to discuss.
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!