Myanmar and Northeast India

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Myanmar and Northeast India

Post by Falcon »

Here's a little-known tip:

If you want a good traditional Protestant (evangelical) Christian girl in Asia, try Myanmar, or even Northeast India. The girls there are strongly traditional and are like rural American Christian women back in the 1950's, if not early 1900's. The Kachin, Chin, Karen, Naga, and many other ethnic groups in northern Myanmar are predominantly Christian. There's a saying that that these regions are even more Baptist than Kentucky. They believe in strict fidelity, absolutely no sex before marriage, and strict attendance of church every Sunday. They love country gospel music and hymns. Churches and Bible colleges dot the landscape. Every Sunday, all of the shops close down as everyone goes to church. Everyone dresses very conservatively. The women are fond of wearing ankle-length tube skirts with traditional tribal patterns.

These peoples are now Christians because they were converted by American and European missionaries around the turn of the 20th century. Today, they cling very strongly to their Christian identity, as it is tied very closely to their ethnic identity as well. Christianity contrasts sharply with the neighboring Hindu and Buddhist faiths of India and Myanmar, respectively. They are fiercely proud of themselves, and are not particularly fond of the Burmese and Indian governments.

The best way to get to know them would be to attend their churches. The pastor and elders would help introduce you to the girls. They are very marriage-minded, and bride prices would be expected. Traditionally, livestock and jewellery would be given to the bride's family.

I know a few white American guys who are together with these women. They are all the clean-cut, churchgoing types and are closely involved with missionaries in Asia. These guys make an attempt to learn as much of their language and culture as possible. All couples are of similar ages. I have never seen any of these women with the sexpat type.

Christian refugees or migrants from northern Myanmar can now be found in India, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, the EU, Australia, and the US. In the US, they are predominantly concentrated in Indiana and Ohio, as well as some nearby states.

I was in Northeast India last year, and the hospitality, generosity, and kindness of the people were absolutely wonderful. These areas get very, very few foreign visitors, and as a result, they do not have the tourist fatigue that is prevalent in places like Thailand or Singapore. The people there are just so warm and down-to-earth.

Now, please don't all rush over there and spoil everything just yet. :P
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Re: Myanmar and Northeast India

Post by Falcon »

No responses yet? Perhaps ranting about American women would gain responses instead. :P

This is uncharted territory on Happier Abroad.
Man With a Plan
Freshman Poster

Post by Man With a Plan »

Falcon wrote:No responses yet? Perhaps ranting about American women would gain responses instead. :P
Well, given your unhealthy fixation on a time you weren't even alive to experience, I'd say you'd know better than anyone.
BACK IN IT! || Happier Abroad Discord Server now open!

Knowledge Seeker | Sleeping Revolutionary | Lone Wolf
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

That potentially sounds like a good region to find a wife for a Christian young man. I'm already married, myself.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I'm planning to go there sometime in the winter of 2017. I'm going with a friend, purely for traveling but I might add, I would be interested in finding a nice woman there, too. Also, I want to go there to check for business opportunities there. I think Myanmar is at the same stage that China was during the late 70s and early 80s, when Deng was just beginning to experiment with capitalism throughout China.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Myanmar is indeed opening up and changing fast, but I feel that it will always retain its unique charm, just like India. Myanmar and Thailand are simply like apples and oranges. In many ways, Myanmar resembles India far more than it resembles Thailand or China.

Try going off the beaten track. I made unforgettable friendships in totally off-the-beaten-path tribal areas in India. Family traditions are still very strong in these areas. People gave me the warmest welcome that I have ever experienced anywhere in my travels to nearly two dozen countries. People I'd meet on the bus would invite me to meals and make me feel like an honored guest. This kind of experience just doesn't happen in Thailand or the Philippines anymore.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

I heard about Nagaland. I looked into it a few weeks back. It could be an interesting option.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

I met quite a few NE asians in Bangalore. I tried to talk to them, they were open enough, but didn't seem like they wanted to have an extended conversation though.

May one day go to NE India and Myanmar, but at the time, the priority was to see India, and NE India is quite far and heard that it could be unstable.

There's a lot of interesting videos on Youtube about Northeast Indians being discriminated against in India. BTW, people in India are very friendly toward non- Indians.

Heard a lot of interesting things about Myanmar, would like to see it one day.
88jose88
Freshman Poster

Post by 88jose88 »

I want to do this,go to a pastor and ask him to introduce me to marriage minded women.maybe by the end of this year.I should be working as a CNA in a few months,God-willing.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

88jose88 wrote:
January 1st, 2024, 3:12 pm
I want to do this,go to a pastor and ask him to introduce me to marriage minded women.maybe by the end of this year.I should be working as a CNA in a few months,God-willing.
A pastor of an Enki-blood-sacrifice church?
88jose88
Freshman Poster

Post by 88jose88 »

MrMan wrote:
January 1st, 2024, 3:24 pm
88jose88 wrote:
January 1st, 2024, 3:12 pm
A pastor of an Enki-blood-sacrifice church?
I'm christian because theres a chance im not willing to take that the origenist/Coptic view of the bible is true,God exists,and this view is that despite the bible having massive errors,he indeed is God and the bible is only error free in regard to matters of salvation.I can work with that.

theres also social benefits,like getting a virgin obediant wife that doesn't believe in divorce.though going happier abroad would be necessary for that as a hindu,muslim or christian anyway.