Is Thailand or Philippines a good place for Aspies to live?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
kairosan117
Freshman Poster

Is Thailand or Philippines a good place for Aspies to live?

Post by kairosan117 »

I was wondering if SE Asia would be deem a place where people with mild autism would be treated with respect?
It seems that in the west, they are outcast so i wonder if in theory, other countries would be receptive towards someone with a learning problem or who has a mild form of autism.
:?: And here are 4 things Filipina do better than your SWJ Ex http://bit.ly/pinayfunfacts

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Re: Is Thailand or Philippines a good place for Aspies to li

Post by Bao3niang »

I'm not sure, but I believe that Asia in general is more tolerant of people on the Autism Spectrum. I also suspect I may be mildly autistic:
-Very sensitive to certain sights, sounds, and smells, being repulsed by them. However, I cannot explain why.
-When eating, I don't like the idea of mixing foods with very different colours, types, and textures together. Again, I cannot explain why but it just makes me uncomfortable.
-Echolalia / murmuring.
-Socially awkward, not a good conversationalist. A much better feeler / thinker though.
-Uncomfortable in large crowds and many social gatherings.
-Little gestures and fidgeting, though it's a lot more under control than before.
-Poor sense of direction and comprehension.
-i don't relate to peers well. Growing up I was usually in the presence of adults. Somewhat remedied with age, but not much.
-I find it hard to empathize, but easy to sympathize.
-Easily irritated by noises and changes in the environment.
-Obsessive thoughts / ideas.
-Preference for routine / doing things the same way.
-Poor hand-eye coordination, situational awareness, reflexes, and motor skills.

Growing up I didn't have the same interests as those of my age. I've never done an IQ test (if there's any real validity to them), but I suspect that my 'IQ' is at least above average, perhaps 130-135. I feel a lot more at home in Asia than in the West. Autistic people aren't viewed in a favourable manner by the 'mainstream', but many of these conformists and drones may be masking their jealousy at the special gifts some people with autism possess, the above average level of intelligence, and being more sane than many 'normal' people.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

I hate how the 'autistic' vs. 'neurotypical' contrast is made to sound objectively scientific, but reading between the lines it's used as nothing but a measure to judge us negatively. Sure the autistic brain may be wired differently, but being wired differently automatically equals 'bad' and 'undesirable'? I also suspect that many of us are misdiagnosed with autism, because we don't fit into mainstream Anglo-Saxon / brainwashed / corporate / consumerist anti-culture. For lack of a better label, they refer to many who are 'out of line' as 'autistic.' I'm also an INFP with 4 wing 5 as my Enneagram. Authenticity and Introverted Feeling overload. Whether I like it or not, it's me. Though I certainly do not wish to exchange my soul and mind, sometimes it interests me to imagine what it would be like to have a different brain / soul.

Also, a trait commonly listed as autistic is having 'special' and 'highly dedicated' interests. I'm sorry, but, I don't see what's wrong with that.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yes I would say so. SE Asians are not judgmental. They are laid back and dont think or analyze much. So aspies should feel more comfortable being themselves there. Not insecure anymore. So they should feel free to break out of their shell and be more alive.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I teach two IT classes. They all have Aspergers lol.

They'll coast through University then get good paying jobs in Shanghai. Seems like they're gonna do OK really.

People tend to become more outgoing with age. I used to be very introverted, but now I perform largely unscripted 2 hour lessons in front of 40+ students.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Asians tend to be labeled aspies because their communication style is different. They arent as verbal or articulate as whites. So that makes them seem inept in communication. Its not about language. Asians also have trouble expressing ideas and concepts because they prefer formulas and are kind of rigid in their thinking. Thus the asian style of communication tends to be poor by western standards. So its easy for asians to be labeled aspies.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

For example in the Philippines, if you ask questions beginning with "what if" most people are stumped. Because a what if question forces them to think and conceptualize, which is against their nature. So being very simple people, they naturally wont hold it against you if youre an aspie or socially inept.

The filipino mindset simply lets things be. They dont analyze or critique things or look for ways to improve things.

Thats why being a nice guy in the Philippines is always a good thing. No one will ever fault you for it. They will appreciate it. If you are nice to people in Philippines, they will be nice to you too. Its a simple formula that works without fail. That's why social harmony there is easy to come by.

Mark_in_Bangkok
Freshman Poster

Re: Is Thailand or Philippines a good place for Aspies to live?

Post by Mark_in_Bangkok »

My response to the OP is, "yes" (from what I've seen here in Thailand).

The majority of people here will simply ignore anyone with noticeable problems.
Can be any kind of problem: sick, drunk, crippled, blind, deaf, or even just old and slow.
Chances are you will be ignored in a neutral way, and not be attacked or ridiculed.

On the other hand, Asians do not worship "victims" as is so fashionable in The West.
In The West, anyone who can claim "victim" status is likely get special treatment.
Not here.
There are almost no groups for "victims", and certainly no preferential treatment.
Anyone with a problem is strictly on their own, (outside of their family and friends).
Member: Thailand Expats Email Discussion.
Membership inquiries welcome; send private message to me on this forum.
haleysantos
Freshman Poster

Re: Is Thailand or Philippines a good place for Aspies to live?

Post by haleysantos »

The Philippines is a good place to live in. You'll be able to learn and see new places in this country. Also, you would be able to appreciate the culture that it brings into your life. You have 7000+ islands to choose from to roam around and explore. You have a vast of ideas and of learning that you would get in this country. And you would be able to meet the nicest people that you'll ever come across in your lifetime.

Thailand is a good place to live in. The culture and their country is so much different from the other countries that surrounds them. Their food is amazing. I love eating Thai food. You can also explore the place that you would see the beauty of it. And Thai people are very respectful. It is a good thing for all of us to visit this place once in a while.

You can never go wrong for both countries. As long as you go there and enjoy, then things would be more great and fulfilling and worth while.