GOOD Food in the Philippines (Yes, really!)

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Bye_American_Pie
Freshman Poster

GOOD Food in the Philippines (Yes, really!)

Post by Bye_American_Pie »

Howdy fellas! Standard early 30's American refugee here. Long time forum reader, 1st time poster. Nice community btw Winston - I enjoy the lack of censorship. So, I arrived at my new girlfriend's hometown in Cebu well over a month ago and so far, one of the most pleasant surprises for me has been the fact that, despite everything to the contrary that I've heard and read about Filipino cuisine (yes, Chow King and several other establishments ARE disgusting) - I've been enjoying some downright delicious food (often for very cheap!). Perhaps my experience will help persuade other Western men to come to the Philippines as well. I'm a meat and potatoes guy and for my money, here are a few gems I've discovered so far.

1. The "Mang Inasal" restaurant chain. Guys, if you live in the Philippines and haven't given this place a shot yet, you're missing out. They are usually crowded when I go in and for good reason. This is hands down my favorite place to eat here and the price to value is better than anything I've seen in the States. The locations I frequent offer UNLIMITED RICE along with some very tasty grilled chicken options. They also offer a couple of pork options, one which I usually order only as a change of pace.

Best value: the "pecho chicken" meal (PM2). Price with soda & unlimited rice: 135 pesos (currently $2.62 USD). The spicy paa chicken (PM1) IMO is the best tasting item on the menu, though the chicken quarter portion is considerably smaller than the pecho. Price with soda & unlimited rice: 123 pesos ($2.39). My change of pace meal is the pork BBQ (PM3). Two decent sized skewers, somewhat fatty but still quite tasty. Not as good as the chicken, but still on point for the money. Price with soda & unlimited rice: 123 pesos ($2.39). I personally do not care for the "sisig" meal options but to each their own. All meals at my location come with a tasty sour soup, which they will refill along with the rice upon request. Service is hit or miss and often slow but hey, it's the Philippines after all. Just speak up when you want something.

Tip: ALWAYS ASK FOR EXTRA PHILIPPINE LEMONS, (they look like small limes and are the key to giving the rice a good flavor. The staff always oblige us at no extra charge) mix the three different sauces at your table with the lemon juice to your liking, then pour the mix all over your rice. Also great as a dip for your meats. You can thank me later...

2. Lechón. From wiki: "Lechón is a pork dish in several regions of the world, most specifically Spain and its former colonial possessions throughout the world. Lechón is a Spanish word referring to a roasted suckling pig. The pig is placed over the charcoal, and the stick or rod it is attached to is turned in a rotisserie action. The pig is roasted on all sides for several hours until done. The process of cooking and basting usually results in making the pork skin crisp and is a distinctive feature of the dish." IMO, the skin is what makes the dish extra delicious. Now, I haven't been here long enough to judge which lechón chains are the best, but I can already tell that some establishments are considerably better than others. The best I've had so far actually came from a street vendor. It's usually served with 'hanging rice' and a plastic glove or bag for your hand... most Filipinos eat this stuff with their hands. In fact, the street vendors don't even have forks or spoons. Find one that you like in your area. If you like pork, you won't be disappointed.

3. Tocino. Sweetened, cured thin strips of pork. Can be hit or miss but it usually pairs quite well with rice.

4. Lumpia. Filipino style spring rolls with a very thin crust. The ingredients vary widely but they should have plenty of meat, as opposed to the flavorless cabbage that usually came with the crappy Chinese food I used to order. Ask your girlfriend to make some for you at home. If she knows what she's doing, they make a perfect snack.

So how about you guys? Have you discovered any Filpino foods that made you question the "worst in Asia" stereotype? If so, please share so that I can try them! Happy eating!!

~ BAP