Why are Hong Kong people so rude, cold, rushed, grouchy, unhappy, soulless? What's their purpose for living? Lol

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Why are Hong Kong people so rude, cold, rushed, grouchy, unhappy, soulless? What's their purpose for living? Lol

Post by Winston »

I am in Hong Kong now with my family.

Man the first thing you notice about hong kong is that the people seem very soulless and cold. They look grouchy for no reason. I dont get what drives them. They seem to lack any warmth, soul, heart or intelligence at all. And they also seem very insensitive and inconsiderate of others too, like they dont care about anyone or anything. Its unbelievable. They also seem to lack any kind of sensitivity or emotion at all. Almost inhuman.

What exactly do they live for? What purpose or meaning fuels them to live and survive? I dont get it. They seem so alien to me. I cant believe i share their Asian genes. It seems like everyone is just a slave living for money only or something. Its the epitome of a cold cruel world. Theres none of the warmth or sweetness or laid backness or easygoingness of the Philippines. This place can get draining after a while. Especially since it doesnt radiate good positive vibes. But the harbor is pretty and nice though.

But why do HK people walk so fast and look so insensitive and inconsiderate? Dont they ever suffer from being soulless or wonder about the meaning of life, etc? Dont they even care about such things? Why am i the only asian in the world that wonders such things and asks such questions? Lol

When i see how people are like in HK i wonder how i can be the same race as them. Lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why are Hong Kong people so soulless, cold, rushed, grumpy, unpleasant? Whats their meaning for living? Lol,

Post by Winston »

HK also lacks some common sense. For instance the machine to buy tokens for the ferry doesnt have any instructions on how to purchase them. Lol. Someone had to help us.

Also we ate at a great vegetarian place called "green commons". However it doesn't say vegetarian in English on the front. So we didnt know at first glance, only later when another restaurant pointed us there. How were we supposed to know? Lol. Usually vegetarian or vegan places put the word "vegetarian" out in front on the sign. I never seen one that didnt. And I've been to many vegetarian places.

Dont they wanna attract foreigners in HK to eat there who are vegan or vegetarian? Geez. Lol. Maybe the word vegetarian turns away too many customers so they prefer to just say "healthy foods". Etc.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why are Hong Kong people so soulless, cold, rushed, grumpy, unpleasant? Whats their meaning for living? Lol,

Post by Adama »

Lots of people have to rush to work. Got to walk fast so they can catch that train, or so they can be on time. Time is limited. Plus the more people around, the more likely it is that you'll miss that train because it's too full, or you'll be at the back of the line. Then you got to hope that you are making enough money to pay rent.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

For the very same reasons as people in Taiwan and much of the rest of developed NE Asia / Singapore. There's this extremely repressive vibe whose roots lay in a fundamentally narrow-minded and rigid view of what life is meant to be. Like in Taiwan / Japan / Korea / Singapore, it's mainly manifested through the obsession with academics, work / careers, finances, and the construct of 'prestige' as opposed to the natural pursuits of love, compassion, spirituality, and relatively free living without too many constraints. There's a fear that pervades in these societies, which, in a sense, almost feel threatened by the notions of actually having free time and having the opportunities to enjoy themselves, because they've been so conditioned into living the opposite way that deep down, they may not even KNOW what it means, and HOW to let go and let live. It's really sad when one looks at what made them become that way, but..... I'm torn between compassion and contempt for these people. You're really into Soul Ages, right? The defining characteristics of societies such as Hong Kong makes them young and even infantile in a spiritual sense.

As for my personal experiences with Hong Kong, in the past, when I went to Hong Kong to do my Chinese visa runs (that was before things became convenient in Shen Zhen), I always got the impression that the entire place was somehow 'closing in' on me, that it was so narrow, and everyone and everything was in a rush.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

I have been to HK again recently, for just a couple of days, and I have to say the vibe isn't as "soulless" as in Singapore. Despite being as expensive as Singapore (possibly even more so, when it comes to housing), HK has more authentic and fun vibe.

The nightlife that is consumed across the steep uphill/downhill streets packed with bars and restaurants, coffee shops, music venues and improvised art galleries seems much more varied and interesting that anything similar I have seen in Singapore.

It could have been a coincidence but, in those evenings I spent out and about in HK, I saw quite a bit more young Westerners in the Central/Wan Chai/Causeway in party/drunken mode.

I had limited interaction with the locals but...Winston, at the end of the day, it's Chinese cultural stock you're talking about? Modern Chinese culture is all about money, success and beautiful things you can show off, trophy wives. I believe what's valid in Shaghai also applies to HK. Perhaps members of the expat enclave might be immune from this kind of cultural imprinting but, even then, expats tend to occupy the mid-to-upper echelon in terms of socio-economic status and personal income.

One thing struck me, though: I didn't see any remarkable local beauty in HK. Same as in Singapore. I am sure there are better looking girls in mainland China.
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

Hong Kong is a world class city and a favorite destination of wealthy Koreans. I wish I was successful enough to live there. Just because people don't want to talk to you doesn't mean that there's something wrong with them.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Hong Kong and places like Hong Kong are like the antitheses to who I am and what I believe in. If I were the leader of China and needed to adopt a scorched earth policy during war, I'd gladly perform it on Shanghai and Shenzhen over a nicer, quieter, smaller city.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Or I'd gladly trade Hong Kong and Shanghai if I had no choice but to. It's been proven in the past that Hong Kongers and Shanghainese aren't the most opposed to foreign domination anyways.....
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Going up to Shenzhen by subway, i did notice one thing though. North of hong kong city are a lot of mountains and trees. It definitely looks more relaxed there, but not much to do. I would imagine hong kong to be more laid back if you are out of the metropolitan area.

However the people there still look very cold. Not even customer service people smile. And they dont like answering questions. Everyone has this very rushed attitude too. Its not the place to be if youre sensitive or caring or if you have a soul. Or you are down to earth. There is not the slightest down to earth vibe in HK at all. If you are down to earth you might as well be from another universe. I don't know how else to describe it.

Why would some of you like that? Very weird. (Scratching head)

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

We are back in hong kong again. Dang. How come every single girl here, including the touristy girls, act super snobby and spoiled? There are a lot of asian american girls here too with snotty valley girl voices like "oh my god! I dont believe what i just saw!" Etc. Why are so many asian American girls in hong kong? Whats the appeal of it to them? Why arent they in China?

@Bao3niang would get so turned off by their ditzy valley girl voices. Lol

@zboy1 , @ethan_sg , @Monkro ,
Dont you just hate asian american girls that talk like blonde ditzy airheadish valley girls with a stuck up attitude that is always "oh my god" this and that and totally not down to earth at all? Wtf? How come we arent like them? Lol

In my experience girls like that take an immediate disliking to guys who are down to earth and genuine and ignore them with a cold shoulder, even if they are introduced by mutual friends.

Also how come it seems everyone in hong kong, including the tourists and visitors, act very snobby and posh? I dont see a single down to earth person in hong kong that one can approach or talk to. Not even one. Not even among the tourists and visitors. Why? Wtf?

Its like if you are down to earth in hong kong, you stick out like a sore thumb and feel totally alienated like you're from another world. Lol. You guys ever notice that?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Guhji wrote:
February 5th, 2018, 10:44 am
Hong Kong is a world class city and a favorite destination of wealthy Koreans. I wish I was successful enough to live there. Just because people don't want to talk to you doesn't mean that there's something wrong with them.
Are you insane or shitting me? How can a city where theres not a single person that looks down to earth and approachable, not even one, be normal or natural? Lol. Please justify your statements.

Yeah its materialistic and wealthy. But so what? Its very f***ing crowded and stressful to walk in. Why would anyone want to live there? Why would you wanna live there?

The only good thing i see is the beautiful colorful harbor at night. And decent quality food. But thats all. Everything else is negative.

How would you like it if everyone ignored you? How long would it be before you felt lonely and alienated like you dont exist to anyone? A few days? A few weeks? Be honest.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

publicduende wrote:
February 3rd, 2018, 1:29 am
I have been to HK again recently, for just a couple of days, and I have to say the vibe isn't as "soulless" as in Singapore. Despite being as expensive as Singapore (possibly even more so, when it comes to housing), HK has more authentic and fun vibe.

The nightlife that is consumed across the steep uphill/downhill streets packed with bars and restaurants, coffee shops, music venues and improvised art galleries seems much more varied and interesting that anything similar I have seen in Singapore.

It could have been a coincidence but, in those evenings I spent out and about in HK, I saw quite a bit more young Westerners in the Central/Wan Chai/Causeway in party/drunken mode.

I had limited interaction with the locals but...Winston, at the end of the day, it's Chinese cultural stock you're talking about? Modern Chinese culture is all about money, success and beautiful things you can show off, trophy wives. I believe what's valid in Shaghai also applies to HK. Perhaps members of the expat enclave might be immune from this kind of cultural imprinting but, even then, expats tend to occupy the mid-to-upper echelon in terms of socio-economic status and personal income.

One thing struck me, though: I didn't see any remarkable local beauty in HK. Same as in Singapore. I am sure there are better looking girls in mainland China.
Yes the city is vibrant and dynamic. But how is it not soulless? How is it authentic?

Have you tried talking to any girls in HK or approached anyone? Even the tourists and visitors look snobby and artificial. The furthest thing from down to earth. People who are not down to earth are not easy to talk to for me, and they usually dont like me either. I dont know about you though. How do you talk to people who are not down to earth? They have a weird uncomfortable vibe that makes me feel disliked.

Theres not a single down to earth person around that looks approachable. Not even the elderly people in hong kong seem friendly. They look grouchy and yell for no reason and impatient. You'll never see elderly people in America be that rude and nasty. Usually elderly folks are very down to earth. But HK elderly are an exception. Why are they so f***ing rude and crass and loud mouthed? What the f**k is their problem? Its like rudeness is the norm in hong kong.

Can anyone give a logical explanation for this crass super abrasive behavior?

Come here to chungking mansion. Tons of chinese shop owners here look angry, miserable and will yell at you rather than answer your questions. Its insane. Beyond comprehension. Worse than you can imagine if youve never been here. Its like sensitivity and gentleness dont exist here at all. Period. How can you guys like that?! What the f**k u guys smoking?! Explain please.

No communication skills exist in HK either. Its like a contest to see who looks more grouchy and snaps at you. And who is more rude. Etc. Very bizarre. Very twilight zone like.

I heard that near central station is where the bars are. I think me and dianne went there before. But all we saw were western guys mostly and few girls. They were all in groups and didnt look friendly or soulful. They looked like corporate drones who can only discuss very mediocre topics. I didn't get a good vibe there at all. I dont know why @El_Caudillo thinks its very social and open there.

Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

Hong Kong, like any cosmopolitan city, caters to the very attractive, wealthy, and upwardly mobile. Of course someone like you is not going to be happy there. You’re none of those things. You don’t belong there.

Btw, neither would I belong there either. I’m short, ugly, poor etc. I’m sure nobody would talk to me. Doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with the city, though.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Winston wrote:
February 8th, 2018, 9:33 am
publicduende wrote:
February 3rd, 2018, 1:29 am

Yes the city is vibrant and dynamic. But how is it not soulless? How is it authentic?

Have you tried talking to any girls in HK or approached anyone? Even the tourists and visitors look snobby and artificial. The furthest thing from down to earth. People who are not down to earth are not easy to talk to for me, and they usually dont like me either. I dont know about you though. How do you talk to people who are not down to earth? They have a weird uncomfortable vibe that makes me feel disliked.

Theres not a single down to earth person around that looks approachable. Not even the elderly people in hong kong seem friendly. They look grouchy and yell for no reason and impatient. You'll never see elderly people in America be that rude and nasty. Usually elderly folks are very down to earth. But HK elderly are an exception. Why are they so f***ing rude and crass and loud mouthed? What the f**k is their problem? Its like rudeness is the norm in hong kong.

Can anyone give a logical explanation for this crass super abrasive behavior?

Come here to chungking mansion. Tons of chinese shop owners here look angry, miserable and will yell at you rather than answer your questions. Its insane. Beyond comprehension. Worse than you can imagine if youve never been here. Its like sensitivity and gentleness dont exist here at all. Period. How can you guys like that?! What the f**k u guys smoking?! Explain please.

No communication skills exist in HK either. Its like a contest to see who looks more grouchy and snaps at you. And who is more rude. Etc. Very bizarre. Very twilight zone like.

I heard that near central station is where the bars are. I think me and dianne went there before. But all we saw were western guys mostly and few girls. They were all in groups and didnt look friendly or soulful. They looked like corporate drones who can only discuss very mediocre topics. I didn't get a good vibe there at all. I dont know why @El_Caudillo thinks its very social and open there.
By "authentic" I meant a bit more reminiscent of its colonial past, with the nice mix of British colonial, Chinese and ultra-modern architecture.

HK is also "authentic" in the sense that it's true to its soul of 50% modern Chinese culture and 50% British expat culture. As I walked those bars near Central, or Wan Chai or Causeway, there was a strong deja vu of London: young Western guys in white and blue office shirts sipping (extremely expensive) beer or cocktails while chatting away the evening. The food is high quality in most places and, unless it's a mom & pop Chinese restaurant we're talking about, prices are as high as in London.

If by "down to earth" you mean a city where people welcome you and engage in casual conversations with you, fresh and relaxed, obviously HK is not that place. It's a cut-throat competitive society where everybody must work its job during the day and only has a few hours on certain evenings to relax. I am sure Chinese shop owners always have that standard preoccupied, aggravated look in their faces.

I for one wouldn't mind working there for a year or two. But then again, having moved to the Philippines and having gotten acquainted with its slower, more relaxed (and less conclusive) pace of life, it would be a reverse shock to resume the rat race over there. Same for Singapore.

I think Guhji above is right: you don't feel easy because you don't belong there. You could visit for sightseeing but living there for a longer term might look like a nightmare for you.

A small village or tier 2 city in South East Asia or even East Asia might be more of your element, I guess.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Just yelled and lectured the bus driver in HK for being rude to my parents when i put them on board to go airport. I told him to be nice and not an asshole and to learn manners in my loud angry voice, trying to make a scene.

Why am i the only foreigner in HK thats not afraid to make a scene like that and get pissed at HKers super rudeness? Surely other americans do not tolerate such extreme rudeness. Especially from bus drivers. its very unprofessional. How does HK allow that? f**k.

In the Philippines no bus driver would ever yell at people like that. Never ever in a million years.

The bus driver I yelled at didnt look offended that i yelled at him. He acted like he was used to it. Thick skin.

I don't mind if they yell at me but i didnt like them yelling at my parents. Elderly people are supposed to be treated with respect.

I scolded him like an angry teacher lecturing his students on basic behavior.

It may be HK style typical mannerism to act rude and shout for no reaon, and nothing personal. But its my style. If i yell it means I'm pissed and my blood is boiling and I'm ready to fight or get violent if necessary.

As Chuck Norris said, "Bruce Lee would get mad at the drop of a hat. It takes a lot more to get me mad. But when i get mad, watch out!" Thats the attitude of most Americans.

I cant imagine other Americans taking this level of rudeness. They dont tolerate that. Its crossing the line. Not a normal thing. f**k HKers. Im glad they got taken by China. Hope the Chinese government teaches HKers some basic manners and civility.

@momopi any words of wisdom on this matter?