Dating and/or marriage to a Korean girl versus a Filipino girl

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Horahngee
Freshman Poster

Dating and/or marriage to a Korean girl versus a Filipino girl

Post by Horahngee »

What are some of the comparison between dating or marrying a Korean girl versus a Filipina? When I mean Filipina here, I mean the foreign ones living in the Philippines. Not the white-washed American-born Filipina's.

I ask because I currently am in a relationship with a Filipina,...a long-distance relationship. I really like her, and have visited and met her family members there back in January. I was really hoping to eventually marry her. Ironically, it's my mom who asked one of her business customers, who is a Filipino lady, to match me up with one of her distant relatives.

I have been "paired up" with many Korean girls in the past, as my mom is Korean, and all of them have been flakes. I kid you not. They tend to be very snobby, aloof, and cold. This is both, American-born Korean girls, as well as girls I have been introduced to in Korea. My Korean is also not that fluent. I'd say that I'm 70% fluent in spoken Korean, and reading Korean, oh boy,...maybe 50% of the material I can understand from a Korean newspaper or website.

My mom now wants me to again, go back to dating Korean girl, and now wants me to marry a Korean girl.

It's because of some issues that happened between my ex-GF, who happens to be a Filipina, where she and her friend (a former co-worker of mine) talked a lot of stink about me to my current GF and my GF's older sister.

What are some of your guys' opinions or experiences dealing with Korean girls and Filipinas (the ones in the Philippines).
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Re: Dating and/or marriage to a Korean girl versus a Filipino girl

Post by chanta76 »

Are you mixed? You mentioned your mother being Korean but no mention about your dad.

Your Korean is way better than me. I'm ashamed of that. I tried studying on my own . Anyway, I'm Korean but grew up in USA all my life. I am married to a Korean girl from Korea. I never dated a Filipina so I cannot make comparison.

I can only talk about my wife. She is traditional. She will cook meals and do old fashion stuff. She does have major jealously issues. It got better now but they used to been a time if she thought I was looking at another girl she would get all mad. There has been time when I had to really put my foot down on what has to be done. I don't know if other Korean girls would of tolerated it.

Before I got married I did date other korean american girls and Korean girls from Korea. Many of them can be superficial this includes both Korean American and Korean girls from Korea. And yes they can be flaky too.

Status is important to them and so is your income and back ground. That's why I asked if your mixed or 100% Korean. Some Korean girls that have a thing for waeguk guys would love a mixed Korean but the traditional type may not go for one. But nowadays Korea is changing so much I don't know for sure. It seems like there is push in Korea for more mixed marriages.

End of day what counts is the individual. I know this may sound cliche but not all korean girls are the same. Good luck.
Horahngee
Freshman Poster

Post by Horahngee »

chanta76 wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 10:09 pm
Are you mixed? You mentioned your mother being Korean but no mention about your dad.
That's because my mom is currently causing me a lot of heart ache. I even called out sick for tonight's shift, and will probably do the same tomorrow.

My dad you ask? He's Japanese-American. LOL! Considering that each side hate each other's gut due to WWII crimes.
Your Korean is way better than me. I'm ashamed of that. I tried studying on my own . Anyway, I'm Korean but grew up in USA all my life. I am married to a Korean girl from Korea. I never dated a Filipina so I cannot make comparison.
Wow, you lucky guy having a Korea-born Korean wife.

I have been introduced to many Korean girls in the past. Both Koreans from Korea studying abroad in the US (HI, or L.A. or WA state) and Korean-Americans. They were ALL, yes I repeat, ALL either flaked on me, or one of them was honest and told me that she was not into me, and another one just told me that she is not going to continue dating.

I can only talk about my wife. She is traditional. She will cook meals and do old fashion stuff. She does have major jealously issues. It got better now but they used to been a time if she thought I was looking at another girl she would get all mad. There has been time when I had to really put my foot down on what has to be done. I don't know if other Korean girls would of tolerated it.
Wow, if I do end up marrying a Korean girl, I guess I have to put my foot down on the pedal to keep her in check. :lol:
Before I got married I did date other korean american girls and Korean girls from Korea. Many of them can be superficial this includes both Korean American and Korean girls from Korea. And yes they can be flaky too.
Exactly, quote for the truth!!!
Status is important to them and so is your income and back ground. That's why I asked if your mixed or 100% Korean. Some Korean girls that have a thing for waeguk guys would love a mixed Korean but the traditional type may not go for one. But nowadays Korea is changing so much I don't know for sure. It seems like there is push in Korea for more mixed marriages.

End of day what counts is the individual. I know this may sound cliche but not all korean girls are the same. Good luck.
Really? maybe the Korean girls are into half white/Asianmixed kids.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

My wife is mainland Chinese so I can't comment specifically on the wife material of Filipinas vs Koreans, but I have, in general, found Filipinas to hold some of the most uneducated attitudes towards life. No desire to "get ahead", hustle, or bust ass for the family. Their lives seem to revolve around dancing/karaoke, soap operas, gossip, and church. Go to any hospital - almost all the Asian nurses are Filipinas, but the Asians doctors are Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese and so on. How many Korean, Japanese, Chinese immigrants do you see working in hotel/waiter/cashier positions 10+ years after their arrival to the US? Hardly any - they all either started their own business or studied to get out of these dead-end jobs.

You'll also likely be shaken down for $$ to support the whole family in the Philippines -a huge strain and sore point for many marriages. I don't know how common this is in Korean culture.
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

CannedHam wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 2:36 pm
No desire to "get ahead", hustle, or bust ass for the family. Their lives seem to revolve around dancing/karaoke, soap operas, gossip, and church
What you are saying here is true enough, it's the "simple" nature of them. But how much of a negative it is depends on how you look at it and what you prefer. Your marriage to a Chinese tells us how you probably view this. Laid back unambitious guys don't generally marry Chinese girls, at least not if they have any sense. My opinion is just the opposite of yours though, you can have all the ambitious ones. My experience is that they are much more difficult to please than the simple ones. Whenever I hear guys say that ambition is an admirable trait, I always think that they better be sure their own personalities match up. Otherwise it won't work out well. YMMV of course.

Anyway how this relates to the thread here is that Chinese and Korean girls tend to have a lot of these type of characteristics in common. It's not always accurate to generalize about large groups of people, but the differences between Koreans and Filipinas are quite substantial and an interesting topic.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Mr Natural wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 7:00 pm
CannedHam wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 2:36 pm
No desire to "get ahead", hustle, or bust ass for the family. Their lives seem to revolve around dancing/karaoke, soap operas, gossip, and church
What you are saying here is true enough, it's the "simple" nature of them. But how much of a negative it is depends on how you look at it and what you prefer. Your marriage to a Chinese tells us how you probably view this. Laid back unambitious guys don't generally marry Chinese girls, at least not if they have any sense. My opinion is just the opposite of yours though, you can have all the ambitious ones. My experience is that they are much more difficult to please than the simple ones. Whenever I hear guys say that ambition is an admirable trait, I always think that they better be sure their own personalities match up. Otherwise it won't work out well. YMMV of course.

Anyway how this relates to the thread here is that Chinese and Korean girls tend to have a lot of these type of characteristics in common. It's not always accurate to generalize about large groups of people, but the differences between Koreans and Filipinas are quite substantial and an interesting topic.
Having been married to a Filipina who was also a Civil Engineer by age 23 and whose father has been a mining engineer for about 30 years, I would say it is difficult to generalize. However, I would agree that most Filipinos do not seem as over the top driven as the Asian tiger mom type.
Having spent a lot of time around Xavier U students in Cagayan de Oro, I would say that portrayal would really not fit the students I met.
The number one tourist group to visit the Philippines is Korean. Is it only foul weather they are escaping? Even among Filipinos who are well off enough to go anywhere they want, I have never heard one say they were headed to Korea for vacation. Within the Philippines, there is a guest culture. I think many Filipinos would argue that Japanese and Koreans are far to uptight and driven. Good or bad, I think there is a feeling that being part of a guest culture and being an A-hole are mutually exclusive.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

OutWest wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 9:13 pm
Having been married to a Filipina who was also a Civil Engineer by age 23
So she cost society a fortune and kept a man out of a career so she could marry you, you classic boomer. Nice one. If you find yourself back in the West, maybe you could vandalize phone booths for a hobby or something.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Cornfed wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 10:08 pm
OutWest wrote:
So she cost society a fortune and kept a man out of a career so she could marry you, you classic boomer. Nice one. If you find yourself back in the West, maybe you could vandalize phone booths for a hobby or something.

Actually not, but coming from you, disapproval is always a compliment. You are such a LOOSER, producing nothing but
job security for the mental health profession. Actually, she and her father have created dozens of jobs, but none of them
would be something you would understand. You see, being a Daily Stormer reject is actually not a profession, you syphilis infested idiot.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

OutWest wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 10:57 pm
Cornfed wrote:
OutWest wrote:

Actually not, but coming from you, disapproval is always a compliment. You are such a LOOSER, producing nothing but
job security for the mental health profession. Actually, she and her father have created dozens of jobs, but none of them
would be something you would understand. You see, being a Daily Stormer reject is actually not a profession, you syphilis infested idiot.
Typical boomer lashing out. But what would one expect from a person who had left the society that raised him as a smoking ruin, and was then going to use it to toast marshmallows and hoped his whole scam would not collapse before he died.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Cornfed wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 11:18 pm
OutWest wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
OutWest wrote:

Typical boomer lashing out. But what would one expect from a person who had left the society that raised him as a smoking ruin, and was then going to use it to toast marshmallows and hoped his whole scam would not collapse before he died.
Corn, let me replay for you this video about what the world does to those who try to change it. I would also note that you're getting a bit long in the tooth for membership in the idealistic youth club. It's a fallen world, always has been, always will be. Try to change it and you'll get crushed. But please feel free to explain how this revolution will be different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqqSa9n2ZQk
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

gsjackson wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 5:25 am
Cornfed wrote:
OutWest wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
OutWest wrote:

Corn, let me replay for you this video about what the world does to those who try to change it. I would also note that you're getting a bit long in the tooth for membership in the idealistic youth club. It's a fallen world, always has been, always will be. Try to change it and you'll get crushed. But please feel free to explain how this revolution will be different.

Jackson,

Your portrayal of the corn as an over-ripe "Youthful idealist" seems incredibly generous to HA's resident psychopath.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

OutWest wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 9:18 am
gsjackson wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
OutWest wrote:
Cornfed wrote:

Jackson,

Your portrayal of the corn as an over-ripe "Youthful idealist" seems incredibly generous to HA's resident psychopath.
That's how he sees himself. You're being impugned for running away, not standing and fighting as your country goes down (even though this website is called Happier Abroad). The last time I played this video for him, it as in response to something like: "Granddad shush. The young people will determine what happens."
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

gsjackson wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 9:58 am
OutWest wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 9:18 am
gsjackson wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
OutWest wrote:

Jackson,

That's how he sees himself. You're being impugned for running away, not standing and fighting as your country goes down (even though this website is called Happier Abroad). The last time I played this video for him, it as in response to something like: "Granddad shush. The young people will determine what happens."
Isn't there some kind of site for him called "Miserable Ogre"? So he does not get being happier abroad and he has not yet figured out that the
"True believers", especially the Nazi types such as himself, are mere puppets twisting in the wind? You have him pegged. Maybe he will figure out that advocates of mass murder rarely have girlfriends. Cornholes version of "fighting for your country" seems to be some kind of mass murder, but the reality may be that he will simply spend the rest of his life as a simpering pansy spewing hate from his basement.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

OutWest wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 12:51 pm
Isn't there some kind of site for him called "Miserable Ogre"? So he does not get being happier abroad and he has not yet figured out that the
"True believers", especially the Nazi types such as himself, are mere puppets twisting in the wind? You have him pegged. Maybe he will figure out that advocates of mass murder rarely have girlfriends. Cornholes version of "fighting for your country" seems to be some kind of mass murder, but the reality may be that he will simply spend the rest of his life as a simpering pansy spewing hate from his basement.
What I find most interesting about CF is that he actually was abroad once, in South Korea if I don't go wrong. Whether he was happy or not, I have no idea. I do remember one of his past forum avatar was himself from behind being hugged by a cute Korean girl. Whether that was one of the highs of his romantic life, or just a happy episode, it's anybody's guess.

CF, why don't you go back to that kind of life for God's sake? Whatever mental hole you're stuck into right now, you might boostrap yourself out of it. Just save enough cash for a plane ticket, already, and leave that mental and physical hole. Then we'll talk again.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

publicduende wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 7:57 pm
OutWest wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 12:51 pm
What I find most interesting about CF is that he actually was abroad once, in South Korea if I don't go wrong. Whether he was happy or not, I have no idea. I do remember one of his past forum avatar was himself from behind being hugged by a cute Korean girl. Whether that was one of the highs of his romantic life, or just a happy episode, it's anybody's guess.

CF, why don't you go back to that kind of life for God's sake? Whatever mental hole you're stuck into right now, you might boostrap yourself out of it. Just save enough cash for a plane ticket, already, and leave that mental and physical hole. Then we'll talk again.
Corn's been a number of places, including New Zealand and the U.S. I maintain he's a Scot. Not too far back he alluded to a somewhat risky but potentially life-altering transition coming up, reports on which I eagerly await. He's said several times that teaching English in Korea is no longer worthwhile, for various reasons.