Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Post Reply
User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3367
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by publicduende » May 28th, 2018, 2:41 am

A curious piece of news found on ZH today.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05- ... less-nerds
Yes, Hong Kong is suffering from an army of loners - estimated at 20,000 to 40,000 strong - usually in their 20's and 30's, who are choosing video games, anime and internet porn over wives, sex and the inevitable children that follow.

[...]

Hong Kong has seen a sharp rise in the number of "grass-eating men," according to Dr. Paul Wong Wai-ching, associate professor of the Department of Social Work and Social Administration at the University of Hong Kong.
Image




Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!



zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4596
Joined: October 4th, 2007, 5:33 am

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by zboy1 » June 4th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Hong Kong is too expensive for anyone to live in. That's one major factor for the growth of hermit men.

On the other hand, it's a great city if you're rich!

User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3367
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by publicduende » June 5th, 2018, 2:44 am

zboy1 wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 5:59 pm
Hong Kong is too expensive for anyone to live in. That's one major factor for the growth of hermit men.

On the other hand, it's a great city if you're rich!
There was some sarcasm in my OP. Would the prospect of being a sexual man in an swamp of asexual men, therefore a hot commodity again, outgun the trouble of living in one of the world's most expensive (and cramped) cities? :-)

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6373
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by Cornfed » June 5th, 2018, 4:02 am

publicduende wrote:
June 5th, 2018, 2:44 am
Would the prospect of being a sexual man in an swamp of asexual men, therefore a hot commodity again, outgun the trouble of living in one of the world's most expensive (and cramped) cities? :-)
The thing is that they probably aren't asexual by birth but because the sex is unattainable or not worth the candle.

User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3367
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by publicduende » June 5th, 2018, 4:11 am

Cornfed wrote:
June 5th, 2018, 4:02 am
publicduende wrote:
June 5th, 2018, 2:44 am
Would the prospect of being a sexual man in an swamp of asexual men, therefore a hot commodity again, outgun the trouble of living in one of the world's most expensive (and cramped) cities? :-)
The thing is that they probably aren't asexual by birth but because the sex is unattainable or not worth the candle.
I don't know about that, actually. It might be a mix of low-testosterone, low self-esteem and just plain laziness. Some of these men just find it easier to buy themselves a printed pillow (or a plastic doll, the most adventurous of the lot) and project their need for affection to that object. Improving oneself to please the opposite sex, the challenges of understanding the female mind, the highs and lows of dating...all of this is just "too much bother" for them.

I put it down to the "virtual vs real, obtained at the fiber broadband speed" mentality that's embracing most of the younger generations.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6373
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by Cornfed » June 5th, 2018, 6:30 am

^ So they're supposed to run around pestering females for sex?

chanta76
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1824
Joined: February 11th, 2008, 4:56 pm

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by chanta76 » June 5th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Or that Hong Kong women are not worth the trouble and these are just Hong Kong men version of mgtow.

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 27131
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by Winston » June 7th, 2018, 11:27 am

zboy1 wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 5:59 pm
Hong Kong is too expensive for anyone to live in. That's one major factor for the growth of hermit men.

On the other hand, it's a great city if you're rich!
Being expensive isn't the chief factor. The chief factor is the VIBE. The vibe in HK feels totally soulless. The people walk fast like ants and worker bees with no soul, no authenticity, no warmness, no emotion, etc. If you are a living soul, you feel alienated and isolated, even though you're surrounded by thousands of people. There's simply no connection or soul. It's like being in the movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" from 1978 where everyone has become soulless zombies and alien clones with no emotions or feelings, and you are the last living soul and normal human left. Very scary and Twilight Zone like. Also, the mom and pop shops and businesses are rude and crass. The owners in them look grumpy and miserable and yell and scoff at you a lot for no reason. Makes you want to deck them. It's their style but we westerners take that personally.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

User avatar
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6207
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by Adama » June 7th, 2018, 5:06 pm

I don't know about HK but in a place like Manhattan, many of these people will not so much as acknowledge you when you say hello. And some people will start walking at super sonic speeds to get away, as if they've seen a ghost.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.

CannedHam
Freshman Poster
Posts: 108
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by CannedHam » June 7th, 2018, 5:21 pm

zboy1 wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 5:59 pm
Hong Kong is too expensive for anyone to live in. That's one major factor for the growth of hermit men.

On the other hand, it's a great city if you're rich!
Hong Kong is probably one of my favorite places in the world. If money/visas weren't an issue, I'd relocate there permanent with my wife yesterday lol.

The housing prices there are beyond astronomical - you're looking at $1mil for a 4-500 sq ft condo.

User avatar
Yohan
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2936
Joined: April 3rd, 2014, 6:05 am
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by Yohan » June 7th, 2018, 8:31 pm

CannedHam wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 5:21 pm
zboy1 wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 5:59 pm
Hong Kong is too expensive for anyone to live in. That's one major factor for the growth of hermit men.

On the other hand, it's a great city if you're rich!
Hong Kong is probably one of my favorite places in the world. If money/visas weren't an issue, I'd relocate there permanent with my wife yesterday lol.

The housing prices there are beyond astronomical - you're looking at $1mil for a 4-500 sq ft condo.
Yes, about same level or even more expensive than Seoul and Tokyo.

But what is really so special about Hong Kong?

If you have a choice and money, why not to consider any other large Asian city for living - Tokyo, Seoul, or even Singapore...

What about Taipeh - not so far away from Hong Kong, but much cheaper, or Bangkok, or if you want to be in China try Xiamen....

User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3367
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by publicduende » June 8th, 2018, 8:48 am

Being expensive isn't the chief factor. The chief factor is the VIBE. The vibe in HK feels totally soulless. The people walk fast like ants and worker bees with no soul, no authenticity, no warmness, no emotion, etc. If you are a living soul, you feel alienated and isolated, even though you're surrounded by thousands of people. There's simply no connection or soul. It's like being in the movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" from 1978 where everyone has become soulless zombies and alien clones with no emotions or feelings, and you are the last living soul and normal human left. Very scary and Twilight Zone like. Also, the mom and pop shops and businesses are rude and crass. The owners in them look grumpy and miserable and yell and scoff at you a lot for no reason. Makes you want to deck them. It's their style but we westerners take that personally.
That's the vibe you will find in any large business city, Winston. Not just Hong Kong, also Singapore, London, Shanghai. When people swarm the streets just to go to to work or to move from the office to a place where they will use their 30 minutes lunch break, or do some grocery shopping before they wind up at home, exhausted...you will hardly see them happy and smiling.

They will be preoccupied about paying up their mortgages or rents, support their children's education, get that promotion or payrise that will give them that little more breathing space, and so on.

It's what we call "the rat race" in London, so well visualised by the beautiful short animation film by Steve Cutts.



You have been lucky, very lucky, to have escaped the rat race. You can afford planning your next trip to China or Taiwan or Angeles City, where you can have your ego tickled by dates and meet like-minded people who can entertain you with discussions about topics you mutually like, like spirituality and conspiracies.

I don't know on what proportion, but you are also lucky to live off a combination of passive income from HA and money from your family. Nothing wrong with that, but please understand that only a tiny minority of people can afford to survive, indeed live, if frugally, without a full-time job that will nail them to a place, a family, a routine.

For most of other people, it's a life enslaved: bills to pay, responsibilities and the elusive dream of happiness that's always a year away, a thousand dollars away, a gym workout away...you get it.

The Hong Kong-ers who look soulless and distant to you and your mindset aren't necessarily bad or evil people. They are people with something in mind. They are embraced, caged, enslaved by their dreams, their ambitions or simply their life routine and have no other choice than going ahead.

For all your criticism towards those people, it actually takes courage and persistence to forge ahead with a life like that. I made the choice of removing myself from the rat race, but that's only because I divorced by ex-wife, I had no kids and no family to support. Aging apart, my parents are doing well. My ex-wife is between jobs but at least she found another partner whom she is happy with.

Yet, I often find myself admiring those people who are still running the rat race, perhaps because they won't give up, perhaps because they can't give up. They are still making money in London and pay high taxes, dreaming of their next 2-week holiday in a prison-style resort in Thailand or Egypt. They know their kids won't have the opportunities they want to give them, if they stop working or if they move somewhere else "just because".

So, Winston, I might perhaps sound counter-intuitive but those miserable people you see in Hong Kong probably have a better reason to be miserable than we have to be happy. You may not agree with their life choices and the behaviour that results from them, but you shouldn't criticise them as some sort of evil aliens.

To them, who are indeed the majority, we are the Twilight Zone dwellers.

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 27131
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by Winston » June 8th, 2018, 10:36 am

Adama wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 5:06 pm
I don't know about HK but in a place like Manhattan, many of these people will not so much as acknowledge you when you say hello. And some people will start walking at super sonic speeds to get away, as if they've seen a ghost.
Then how come on Seinfeld, the characters are ugly yet they pick up hot girls in Manhattan and NYC everyday so easily and naturally? lol. That sitcom made me think there was something wrong with me, because it ought to be easy and natural, so normal people should be able to pick up American women at least occasionally, not never like with me.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 27131
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by Winston » June 8th, 2018, 10:49 am

publicduende wrote:
June 8th, 2018, 8:48 am
Being expensive isn't the chief factor. The chief factor is the VIBE. The vibe in HK feels totally soulless. The people walk fast like ants and worker bees with no soul, no authenticity, no warmness, no emotion, etc. If you are a living soul, you feel alienated and isolated, even though you're surrounded by thousands of people. There's simply no connection or soul. It's like being in the movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" from 1978 where everyone has become soulless zombies and alien clones with no emotions or feelings, and you are the last living soul and normal human left. Very scary and Twilight Zone like. Also, the mom and pop shops and businesses are rude and crass. The owners in them look grumpy and miserable and yell and scoff at you a lot for no reason. Makes you want to deck them. It's their style but we westerners take that personally.
That's the vibe you will find in any large business city, Winston. Not just Hong Kong, also Singapore, London, Shanghai. When people swarm the streets just to go to to work or to move from the office to a place where they will use their 30 minutes lunch break, or do some grocery shopping before they wind up at home, exhausted...you will hardly see them happy and smiling.

They will be preoccupied about paying up their mortgages or rents, support their children's education, get that promotion or payrise that will give them that little more breathing space, and so on.

It's what we call "the rat race" in London, so well visualised by the beautiful short animation film by Steve Cutts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlMAKpxN8N0

You have been lucky, very lucky, to have escaped the rat race. You can afford planning your next trip to China or Taiwan or Angeles City, where you can have your ego tickled by dates and meet like-minded people who can entertain you with discussions about topics you mutually like, like spirituality and conspiracies.

I don't know on what proportion, but you are also lucky to live off a combination of passive income from HA and money from your family. Nothing wrong with that, but please understand that only a tiny minority of people can afford to survive, indeed live, if frugally, without a full-time job that will nail them to a place, a family, a routine.

For most of other people, it's a life enslaved: bills to pay, responsibilities and the elusive dream of happiness that's always a year away, a thousand dollars away, a gym workout away...you get it.

The Hong Kong-ers who look soulless and distant to you and your mindset aren't necessarily bad or evil people. They are people with something in mind. They are embraced, caged, enslaved by their dreams, their ambitions or simply their life routine and have no other choice than going ahead.

For all your criticism towards those people, it actually takes courage and persistence to forge ahead with a life like that. I made the choice of removing myself from the rat race, but that's only because I divorced by ex-wife, I had no kids and no family to support. Aging apart, my parents are doing well. My ex-wife is between jobs but at least she found another partner whom she is happy with.

Yet, I often find myself admiring those people who are still running the rat race, perhaps because they won't give up, perhaps because they can't give up. They are still making money in London and pay high taxes, dreaming of their next 2-week holiday in a prison-style resort in Thailand or Egypt. They know their kids won't have the opportunities they want to give them, if they stop working or if they move somewhere else "just because".

So, Winston, I might perhaps sound counter-intuitive but those miserable people you see in Hong Kong probably have a better reason to be miserable than we have to be happy. You may not agree with their life choices and the behaviour that results from them, but you shouldn't criticise them as some sort of evil aliens.

To them, who are indeed the majority, we are the Twilight Zone dwellers.
Not all big cities are the same. Why in HK do so many people yell at you or look angry and grouchy and grumpy? I don't think Londoners do that. They are way more civilized. I don't think Tokyo is like that. Japanese are too polite to yell at you for no reason. Have you seen bus drivers in HK or mom and pop stores? Why do they yell at you angrily for no reason? You never experienced that? The foreigners in HK told me it happens to them too, not just me. Only professional places such as Apple stores or Museums have polite staff. Not mom and pop businesses.

Why shouldn't I criticize them? They yell at me for no reason. That pisses me off and makes me feel like getting into a fight. I threatened a bus driver once for yelling at my parents. He apologized when he saw that I was about to kick his ass and meant it. When I get mad, I get REALLY MAD, it's not my regular personality style. How do you expect me not to be affected by that?

Also isn't Moscow a big city? If you approach girls there, it is easy to get them to stop and talk to you and go on a date on with you too. Sure big cities tend to be less friendly in general, but it doesn't mean all big cities are the same.

If big cities suck why doesn't everyone just leave them? Well Asians tend to like big cities, it's white people that dislike them. It can't be that hard to leave a big city. Where there's a will, there's a way. Have you heard of this philosopher named Jean Paul Sartre? He said most people are in a prison of their own mind and actually have a lot more freedom to change their lives, than they think they do. The problem, according to Sartre, is that most people FEAR freedom and are afraid of it. They do not yearn for it like you and I do. That's a myth we are projecting onto others. Here's a video about his philosophy from the school of life channel.



It's not that I am lucky to be free. I simply choose freedom because that is my nature and soul destiny. It's not even a conscious choice. It's what I am. I embrace freedom and uncertainty and chaos. But most people fear it. They need routine, structure, authority, etc. You see the difference? Thus I'm on a different wavelength and many Asians are weirded out by me because of it, because I represent sunlight and they are vampires who fear the sunlight.

Let me know what you think of the Sartre video above.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

User avatar
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6207
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: Time to move to Hong Kong? :-)

Post by Adama » June 8th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Winston wrote:
June 8th, 2018, 10:36 am
Adama wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 5:06 pm
I don't know about HK but in a place like Manhattan, many of these people will not so much as acknowledge you when you say hello. And some people will start walking at super sonic speeds to get away, as if they've seen a ghost.
Then how come on Seinfeld, the characters are ugly yet they pick up hot girls in Manhattan and NYC everyday so easily and naturally? lol. That sitcom made me think there was something wrong with me, because it ought to be easy and natural, so normal people should be able to pick up American women at least occasionally, not never like with me.
That comes out of the mind of the writer. It doesn't necessarily reflect reality.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand”