Why Is Dating In Thailand Easier?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why Is Dating In Thailand Easier?

Post by publicduende »

Yohan wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 11:16 pm
It is very difficult to compare Thailand and Philippines, these are 2 totally different countries, different people, different language, different cultural background and also different living standard...

You have to go there by yourself and check it out which of these 2 countries fit you best if you think relocation for you makes some sense and you are financially secure.
True. And for the little I know and I have learned about Thai people, I prefer Philippines 100 times. I can imagine Thailand is the better choice for higher-worth individuals who want to retire in a place that still sports the subtropical climate and nature of SEA, is still quite affordable and has better infrastructure. Of course the price to pay is that they will have far lower chances to interact with the locals in any meaningful (i.e. non-money-oriented) way, compared to the Philippines.
Yohan wrote:
In Western countries the dating scene is totally broken and I see the biggest problem with legal issues - best is to look after yourself and stay single.
Agreed. If you have missed that opportunity window in your mid to late twenties, or if you are divorced, the odds are stacked against you incredibly.
Yohan wrote:
About sex-tourists, well, I cannot blame them - many working men in Western countries like USA have only short vacation, are single.... and nowadays airplanes are many and tickets are cheap. Why should they not enjoy a few days with nice girls who only want their money?
Nothing bad about wanting some seasonal fun. Unfortunately the problem when they go back to their home countries and resume the dreaded work-eat-sleep (and save) life routine.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

publicduende wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 11:31 pm
Yohan wrote:
It is very difficult to compare Thailand and Philippines, these are 2 totally different countries, different people, different language, different cultural background and also different living standard...

You have to go there by yourself and check it out which of these 2 countries fit you best if you think relocation for you makes some sense and you are financially secure.
True. And for the little I know and I have learned about Thai people, I prefer Philippines 100 times. I can imagine Thailand is the better choice for higher-worth individuals who want to retire in a place that still sports the subtropical climate and nature of SEA, is still quite affordable and has better infrastructure. Of course the price to pay is that they will have far lower chances to interact with the locals in any meaningful (i.e. non-money-oriented) way, compared to the Philippines.
Yohan wrote:
In Western countries the dating scene is totally broken and I see the biggest problem with legal issues - best is to look after yourself and stay single.
Agreed. If you have missed that opportunity window in your mid to late twenties, or if you are divorced, the odds are stacked against you incredibly.
Yohan wrote:
About sex-tourists, well, I cannot blame them - many working men in Western countries like USA have only short vacation, are single.... and nowadays airplanes are many and tickets are cheap. Why should they not enjoy a few days with nice girls who only want their money?
Nothing bad about wanting some seasonal fun. Unfortunately the problem when they go back to their home countries and resume the dreaded work-eat-sleep (and save) life routine.
The amount of divorced, twice-divorced, and even three-times divorced men looking to re-marry ASAP astounds me. I can understand giving marriage one shot - but if things don't work out, JUST f***ing STOP.

One of my dad's friends is desperately trying to find a THIRD wife after divorcing twice. Let's just say the pickings so far have been... slim

His finances are a train wreck. He pays alimony as well as a bunch in child support. He has little assets in his name, and despite having a $100k ish salary, he nets around $28k after paying alimony/child support/taxes, living in a crappy 1 BR apartment. Had he stopped after the first marriage, his situation would've been salvagable. After the second divorce, he's toast. Don't know what the upside is to marrying yet again. :roll:
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

CannedHam wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 2:37 pm
The amount of divorced, twice-divorced, and even three-times divorced men looking to re-marry ASAP astounds me. I can understand giving marriage one shot - but if things don't work out, JUST f***ing STOP.

One of my dad's friends is desperately trying to find a THIRD wife after divorcing twice. Let's just say the pickings so far have been... slim

His finances are a train wreck. He pays alimony as well as a bunch in child support. He has little assets in his name, and despite having a $100k ish salary, he nets around $28k after paying alimony/child support/taxes, living in a crappy 1 BR apartment. Had he stopped after the first marriage, his situation would've been salvagable. After the second divorce, he's toast. Don't know what the upside is to marrying yet again. :roll:
Well, either these people are hopeless romantic who believe that every stable relationship must be sanctioned, sanctified even, by marriage (only to be desecrated by divorce a few years later), or they know their only chance at a woman who's maybe only half-good as their previous wife, is if they tie the knot with her.

I am myself divorced. I am lucky that I have no kids and that my ex-wife is a wonderful person and we arranged for the smoothest possible separation and then divorce. I am 43, no spring chicken, and headed straight to the Philippines. For business, sure, but the idea or "rebooting" my love life was always in my mind.

It took me more than 2 years living continuously in the Philippines and many frustrating experiences to finally find a girl who ticks all my boxes and loves me for who I am, no agenda. Yes, she self-confessedly likes adult men, but then what - did I expect to woo her because I look like a hot stud? :lol:

I consider myself very, very lucky to have what I want. And yet, the question of marriage is very much on the table. I could be an idealist and pretend I don't need to marry again. Reality is, just the asymmetric visa process when travelling or planning to relocate abroad, could be a right nightmare. Even just that would justify being married. Not easy to be a purist...

Apart from that, she is from a good, traditional family and all of them, including herself, expect no less than that, at some point in time. Probably next year. I am still a bit scared at the idea of marrying again but - you know - what the hell, life is all about taking risks. If I didn't want to, I wouldn't even be able to get off the bed when I wake up.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

publicduende wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 11:31 pm
Yohan wrote:
In my case you are really spot on with your comment about Thailand.

Thailand is the 2nd home for me and my Japanese family, we spend a lot of time in Thailand as I and my wife are now fully retired. I am also holding a 1-year-retirement visa. Family members are coming and going... also an ideal spot to meet friends who are living in Europe - there are plenty of airplanes every day between Tokyo and Bangkok and anywhere in EU.

However nobody of our family has any personal relationship with a Thai person - our contact with locals is just because of services like house administration, laundry, motorcycle repair shop, some restaurants, curtain washing shop, bank, medical doctor and so on.

Life is cheaper in Thailand than in Japan, and winter is warmer in Thailand than in Japan, and if we go for holidays out of Japan, we do not book any hotelroom, no high season pricing etc. We decided to buy a condominium unit in Jomtien/Pattaya about 15 years ago. Very comfortable indeed. Much better - at least for us - than to travel around with a suitcase.

However, about acting with locals, many foreigners - me included - can do that much easier in Philippines than in Thailand. While basic English is widely understood in Philippines, it has to be pointed out, that many Asian languages are quite complicated and Thai is not an easy language.

Filipinas are often willing to relocate abroad out of financial reason - but with girls in Thailand this is not really the case. In Philippines it is easy to get working permits, but in Thailand it seems the best choice is you are retired and get an allowance from overseas...not so visa-friendly for long-stay otherwise.

Simply said, it depends on the individual, what are your needs.
What you can do if you have no experience yet, is to try to communicate with other expats and collect their opinion about this and that country, to learn about advantages and disadvantages.

No place here in Asia is perfect, countries are rather different from each other.