Update: WE ARE BACK ONLINE! The Forum has been RESTORED! See announcement here. If there are any problems or issues, please report them in the announcement thread. Note: Unfortunately I was not able to import the posts made after the crash (on Sept 18) into the restored forum. However, I exported all the posts submitted after the crash into a Word file, so you can download it, find your posts and re-post them. Download the posts here. Thanks for your patience and welcome back everyone!

Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

When in SEA, do you try to only take hot female gojeks?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

MatureDJ
Freshman Poster

When in SEA, do you try to only take hot female gojeks?

Post by MatureDJ » August 2nd, 2019, 4:45 am

I could see myself enjoying that.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: When in SEA, do you try to only take hot female gojeks?

Post by Cornfed » August 2nd, 2019, 6:32 am

What's a gojek?

MatureDJ
Freshman Poster

Post by MatureDJ » August 2nd, 2019, 12:54 pm

MrMan
Veteran Poster

Post by MrMan » August 2nd, 2019, 3:16 pm

MatureDJ wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:45 am
I could see myself enjoying that.
I still have the GOJEK app on my phone from the last time I lived in Indonesia. I do not think I have even seen a female Gojek driver, and there are drivers all over the place in Jakarta wearing those jackets. I did occasionally see a woman on a motorcycle, but that is fairly rare. I saw a young woman in 'full-ninja' Islamic garb on a motorcycle and she was too fast for me to take a picture.

The chances of getting a female Gojek is low. A hot female Gojek driver? The chances are very low indeed unless things have changed over the past year.

Goject is Indonesia's Google, Amazon, or Alibaba when it comes to tech start-ups-- a tech startup that made it big in Indonesia.

Before GOJEK there were ojek. An ojek is a hired motorcycle. These guys would sit on motorcycles at intersections waiting for someone to walk by who wanted a ride. The founder of Gojek road one of them and asked the driver how business was. The driver told him how few rides he got per day, so he thought of how to use technology to solve the problem.

So, now there is this app and if you want a motorcycle...or car now... to pick you up, you can get one to come to you on your phone. The downside is now is that there are almost no ojek left who aren't using Gojek or Grab in Jakarta so if you want.

Uber cut a deal with Grab to leave the country, which is lousy for competition and if you have a group of more than four passengers that wants to take the same care. Uber charged just a little more to lock in the four seats. Now they can deny a larger group or a sedan can show up. It seems like most who get a car to do the Grab business get minivans, though, which is good if you need the extra space.

I used to ride ojek a lot when I was young and just wanted to cut through the traffic quicker. You don't have to worry about parking and you sit in traffic less if the motorcycle weaves through the cars. But back then, and especially now, you still sit in traffic behind the other motorcycles weaving through traffic, you have to breathe the fumes directly, the traffic noise can damage your hearing over time, you get the nasty Jakarta air on your face.

I would assume Gojek is in some smaller cities, too, like Grab is, so the situation may not be so bleak in the smaller cities, and it is a really good service to have transportation when you want it. Going to smaller cities in Sumatra before people had cell phones without your own transportation can be a drag. I took a brief backpacking trip in the 1990's up that way, and the little buses came by much less frequently than Jakarta.