Japan: No room at inn for foreigners

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiap ... index.html

October 9, 2008 -- Updated 1723 GMT (0123 HKT)

TOKYO (AP) -- Japan's Ministry of Internal Affairs says over 70 percent of Japanese inns and hotels that didn't have foreign guests last year don't want any in the future either.

The ministry says that a survey of such businesses showed they feel unable to support foreign languages and that their facilities are not suited to foreigners.

The survey released Thursday shows that over 60 percent of Japan's inns and hotels had foreign guests last year, but the majority of the rest don't want any.

It was released as Japan continues its efforts to attract more foreign visitors. The country's "Visit Japan Campaign" aims to draw 10 million foreigners to the country for trips and business in the year 2010, up from 8.35 million last year.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Japan's blatant "no foreigners" policy at a huge number of places draws little criticism worldwide. They are not white so it is OK to discriminate. If a European country had such policies, it would draw UN condemnations and sanctions. Pity really. So many people( including me) love Japan but Japan does not like them. If you think the hotel situation is bad, try renting an apartment there. 98% will not rent to foreigners. There are some that specialize in foreigners but very few. And knowing Japanese will not help.

Entertainment establishments are similar- many will just kick foreigners out , some will allow those who come with Japanese sponsors.

Before Asian people here begin to gloat - " now you know how we feel in the white world" be warned that the Japanese treat other Asians even worse than they treat white people. To many, other Asians are nothing but former colonial slaves while whites are well, enemies but are still semi respected.

Some 30-50% of Japanese are Ok but they are very seldom landlords.

Be aware of this those of you who are Japan- bound. And becoming a Japanese citizen or being born in Japan of non-full blooded Japanese parents is meaningless. You are still a Gaijin.

http://www.debito.org/
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Island Bum
Freshman Poster

Post by Island Bum »

I spent 1 year in Japan, Tokyo area, in 2001-2002. Now I'm going back (next week) to work again for another year or two.

I found the Japanese people to be mostly friendly to me. A few bars and night clubs wouldn't let me in, but that was due in large part by the language barrier. The same thing happens in Korea, where things aren't so friendly.

Young, reasonably good looking guys can almost always find a Japanese girl friend. But when you get older, or a little heavy, it's not so easy. Then you go after the 3rd country nationals living there. Lots of Thais and Indonesians, etc., working in factories.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to going back to Japan. Does someone have another opinions?

Island Bum
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Island Bum wrote:

Young, reasonably good looking guys can almost always find a Japanese girl friend. But when you get older, or a little heavy, it's not so easy. Then you go after the 3rd country nationals living there. Lots of Thais and Indonesians, etc., working in factories.

Island Bum
Never been to Japan but I heard that in Japan that Japanese girls are very open to foreign men (mostly white or black guys) but is it only for young guys?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

chanta76 wrote:
Island Bum wrote:

Island Bum
Never been to Japan but I heard that in Japan that Japanese girls are very open to foreign men (mostly white or black guys) but is it only for young guys?
Most are not. I would say some 30% are. And yes, younger guys who look like some movie star. I did not score that well. But again, all people are not the same and Japan responds differently to different people.

I speak Japanese and still discrimination in housing does not diminish if you ask me. The country will not change for another 50 years or so.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!