Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Jollibee, Chow King, Greenwich SUCK but are always crowded?!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Jollibee, Chow King, Greenwich SUCK but are always crowded?!

Postby Winston » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:02 pm

I don't understand why the three most common fast food franchises in the Philippines - Chow
King, Greenwich and Jollibee - are everywhere here. They simply suck, taste very bad, and
use the worst/cheapest ingredients. Even Taco Bell serves fresh food in comparison to these.
The food is also cooked badly and portions are too small for the price you pay. Speaking of
price, what they give you is NOT WORTH the price you pay. Yet oddly enough, these chains
are always crowded?!?!?! That's so bizarre and upside down.

If something sucks, you'd think it'd be eliminated. But not in the Philippines. Here, something can suck and yet be everywhere and thrive. Here, this crap trio chain is everywhere, near the entrance of every mall, as though they are the most popular food around. If they opened in the US, they wouldn't last even a week. It's so baffling. I've never seen standards so low before. Only Russian food tastes worse.

Of these, Chow King is the worst. You could almost swear that they are trying ON PURPOSE to make their food taste bad. Even a newbie with no cooking experience can usually hack better tasting food together at random than what they serve. And they try to pass themselves off as Chinese food?! Heck, even the worst Chinese food in America tastes better than Chow King! And fast Chinese food franchises in the US, such as Panda Express, tastes like gourmet Chinese food compared to Chow King!

Now, get this. One time at Mister Frosty's, a Filipino chain that serves a wide variety of tasteless food, I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich. Nothing could go wrong with that right? Well surprise surprise! They brought me a thin cheap piece of white bread with a thin cheap slice of UNMELTED cheese! I called the waiter and said "Excuse me, this is not grilled cheese!" He replied, "That is grilled cheese!" Feeling like I'm arguing with a fool, I explained, "Grilled cheese means the cheese is MELTED, not solid!" Duh! Any fool in the world knows that. And any fool or child can make a grilled cheese sandwich. So why can't Filipino cooks make a normal one?! So odd! He took it to the kitchen and after a long while, it came back only slightly melted. Go figure......

Seriously though, finding good food in the Philippines is often a bitch. I don't know why typical Filipino cooks suck so bad. I mean, my God, I can't even cook, yet even what I make tastes far better than what most places here serve. It's like they are TRYING to be bad on purpose. What they serve either tastes bad or it's tasteless and bland.

Me and my girlfriend eat out mostly at Sbarro or Pizza Hut, or in authentic Chinese or Korean restaurants, cause those are among the few places that serve good tasting food here, even though they are foreign.

But Filipino chain restaurants such as Max's, Shakey's, Pancake House, Kenny Rogers, Mister Frosty's, etc. as well as all those little places in the mall food court that serve sisig, yuck! Forget it. They are tasteless, disappointing and a waste of money.

They can't seem to do anything right. And they never seem to try to improve anything or ask themselves "What can I do to make it better?"
Last edited by Winston on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Here is someone on craigslist who concurs with my post.

http://manila.craigslist.com.ph/rnr/945037043.html

I agree 100%. I ordered a Chicken Salad sandwich at a hotel restaurant. They brought it out and the damn thing had a smear of something on it. I sent it back and told them to make it a sandwich, not 2 slices of bread. I've got a million stories like this!

I nominated your post for the BEST OF CRAIGSLIST for its honesty and accuracy. I know you will get many rebuttals saying "Filipinos are good cooks" or "the food here is masarap" and all that hype. But the truth is, the #1 complaint in survey after survey of foreigners to the Phils is the food. It is poor in quality, quantity and taste. They use the CHEAPEST ingredients and are stingy with the portions. I await their nonsense rebutals.

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Hero » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:11 pm

:lol: Yes, I remember Jollibee's well. Why do they suck? My guess is bad management. I went to the Jollibee's down the street from the Mango Park Hotel for lunch, and the 22-year-old female manager sat down at my table uninvited and came on to me for the entire meal! How unprofessional can you get?

If you eat somewhere other than a restaurant, you're just asking for trouble. I had two bouts with severe diarrhea while I was over there.

Still, even if the food sucks, it's touching when a Pinay cooks for you, unlike American women who equate cooking a meal for her man with slavery.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Re: Chow King, Jollibee, Greenwich - they suck but are crowd

Postby momopi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:05 pm

WWu777 wrote:I don't understand why the three most common fast food franchises in the Philippines - Chow
King, Greenwich and Jollibee - are everywhere here. They simply suck, taste very bad, and
use the worst/cheapest ingredients. Even Taco Bell serves fresh food in comparison to these.
The food is also cooked badly and portions are too small for the price you pay. Speaking of
price, what they give you is NOT WORTH the price you pay. Yet oddly enough, these chains
are always crowded?!?!?! That's bizarre and upside down.

What does a vegetarian eat at Jollibee's? @_@??????

I've eaten at Jollibee's in Manila and Los Angeles. Here in LA, we have Jollibee, Red Ribbon, Chow King, Goldilocks, etc. in Cerritos. I thought Jollibee's chicken joy with rice and gravy was OK, but the chef at (correction) Goldilocks can't make a decent Halo-Halo.

There are probably some good reasons why Philippino and British (other than Fish and Chips) food isn't very popular abroad. Though I do enjoy Yorkshire Pudding made into a sweet desert ("dutch oven"). Philippino cooks tend to fry or over-cook everything.

Jollibee's was a good money maker, but now they want way too much $$ for a franchise.
Last edited by momopi on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Chow King, Jollibee, Greenwich - they suck but are crowd

Postby Winston » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:16 am

momopi wrote:
WWu777 wrote:I don't understand why the three most common fast food franchises in the Philippines - Chow
are always crowded?!?!?! That's bizarre and upside down.

What does a vegetarian eat at Jollibee's? @_@??????

I've eaten at Jollibee's in Manila and Los Angeles. Here in LA, we have Jollibee, Red Ribbon, Chow King, Goldilocks, etc. in Cerritos. I thought Jollibee's chicken joy with rice and gravy was OK, but the chef at Red Ribbon can't make a decent Halo-Halo.

There are probably some good reasons why Philippino and British (other than Fish and Chips) food isn't very popular abroad. Though I do enjoy Yorkshire Pudding made into a sweet desert ("dutch oven"). Philippino cooks tend to fry or over-cook everything.

Jollibee's was a good money maker, but now they want way too much $$ for a franchise.

Same thing as in McDonald's, fries, coke, apple pie, ice cream, sundae. But even non-vegetarian foreigners dislike Filipino food franchises. The upper class locals I met here said they never eat at Jollibee or Chow King either. They said it's always crowded because for an air conditioned place, they are considered cheap. But I don't consider them to be cheap cause what they give you leaves a bad taste in your stomach.
Last edited by Winston on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winston
Site Admin

Postby wraith » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:36 pm

Okay, that shows that most filipinos are stupid and lazy.
wraith
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 am

Check this out. Here is a blog and forum about how Jollibee sucks. lol

http://jollibeesucks.blogspot.com
http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/index.p ... pic=144141

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Chow King, Jollibee, Greenwich SUCK but are always crowd

Postby PaulB » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Winston wrote:Seriously though, finding good food in the Philippines is often a bitch.

Because you're living in Angeles. Plenty of good food in Metro Manila.
PaulB
Freshman Poster

Postby smallcheese » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:45 am

If you're used to eating crap most of your life, then that becomes the standard staple in your diet. Unfortunately this is how it is in many poor countries around the world. I've met Filipinas who thought that Chow King was the best Chinese food in the world, because that's all they knew. But when they started working in Hong Kong and got a taste of real Chinese food, their opinions changed dramatically. It's all a matter of perspective.

Just be glad that the food you're eating in Jolibee, Greenwich and Chow King is not pagpag. In the poorest parts of Manila, picking out used food from the garbage and recooking it is the only way some people survive.

If you're in Angeles City, the best Chinese food that I had there was in a Chinese restaurant located in a mall that had Pure Gold next to it. I forgot the name of the restaurant but I think it begins with the letter L. Check it out if you want something that resembles good Chinese food. :-)
smallcheese
Freshman Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand