What exactly is the ethnic makeup of the Philipines?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
gmm567
Freshman Poster

What exactly is the ethnic makeup of the Philipines?

Post by gmm567 »

I am thinking it is chinese and spainish right? Or is there another island type indian group in there.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

If you think that when you arrive you will see Antonio Banderases walking down the streets with Connie Chungs and then, Jackie Chans and Penelope Cruz walking down the street with their mixed kids, you will be disappointed.

The main racial stock in the Philippines are the Christian Malays- think of Indonesia and Malaysia although the eyes are more round and the faces are more round as well. Noses are just as flat, but shorter than those of Malaysians. Most Malay population has a small ( some 10%) Chinese admixture and some 3% Spanish admixture. Some 5-7% are native Christian tribes who did not mix with the Chinese and the Spanish and are pure Malays. There is a Chinese urban class which is not pure Chinese but it has been Malay-nized somewhat. I shall say that in cities they are some 10-15% and they own many businesses. Old land owing families have a greater Spanish % in the blood and look like Mexicans somewhat. In the north there are many Japanese looking people who are in fact decendants of Christian Japanese settlers of old. There were also many Indians who migrated to the Philippines in the times of old, as well.
There are also occasional Negritos or Aetas who look like Papua New Guinea people - maybe some 2-3% of the population. Muslim Malays did not mix with Spaniards but have some Arabic ancestry but still look very Malay- these are some 8% of the population. American, Korean and other mestizos are maybe 1% of the population.

The Philippines is a very mixed place with over 100 ethnic groups who do not understand each other but who get along very very well, mix and intermarry.
If something like this existed in Europe, a Bosnian War would break out. Not in the Philippines where racial discrimination is very weak and racial awareness is just not big part of the culture.
There is no such thing as a pure Filipino. It is not Japan or Korea. People are very very mixed.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

SO the spainish didn't mix that much with the native population? And there isn't many chinese or chinese mix? In
Mexico, I think the spainish screwed and screwed and screwed. I don't know what percentage are metizo but I suspect it's at least 40%. The spainish stock controls everything down there. It's the pure spainish decentants that are the elite in business, politics etc.

The philipines are mostly malaysian. Hmmm.... I am glad I got that sorted out.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

gmm567 wrote:SO the spainish didn't mix that much with the native population? And there isn't many chinese or chinese mix? In
Mexico, I think the spainish screwed and screwed and screwed. I don't know what percentage are metizo but I suspect it's at least 40%. The spainish stock controls everything down there. It's the pure spainish decentants that are the elite in business, politics etc.

The Philipines are mostly malaysian. Hmmm.... I am glad I got that sorted out.
Not Malaysian. Malay. Kind of like native Hawaiians.

Again, proportions are different. There were not as many Spaniards in the PI as there were in Mexico- the PI are just too far. There were soldiers and priests but not a large scale Spanish resettlement. The Chinese are there but again they are not as strong as they are in say, Malaysia- 30% of the population. The Malay stock is much more voluminous than the native Indian stock in Mexico. Also, Filipinos cannot speak Spanish,

Spanish familes still control a lot but they are not pure Spaniards and there are very few of them- a couple of hundreds.

Come and have a look. You will see what I mean.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!