Pros and Cons of Living and Dating in the Philippines

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

:)
Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not promise to be gingerly :P

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Ginger wrote:PART 1
Ginger,
Keep on postin', girl. Good to get the straight dope from Miss Boots On The Ground. (Or is that Miss Bootie On The Ground?)

Seriously this is helpful. Got to leave the USA, and much as I'd like to :wink: I can't be everywhere.

Your info helps me make that Big Decision!
-Jester
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Good job Ginger to post an actual local's perspective on things versus Winston's, who, while helpful for someone who has never been to the Phiippines, is not truly a representative of how things really are. Indeed, despite having lived in the Phils for a while, all of Winston's experiences are based on Angeles City and lowly bar girls who for the vast majority are from poor families with a very acute sense of leaching.

The one comment that really saddened me was when you wrote that Pinoys are taught not to think. This is the greatest disservice a government can make to its own citizens and shooting themselves in the foot long term wise.

Keep posting more of your local perspective in here please Ginger.

Cheers.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
lastyle7
Freshman Poster

Post by lastyle7 »

Filipinos act like kids, even the so called middle & upper class. I like the Philippines but ppl are pretty slow to comprehend and like to repeat themselves and just plain I don't have the patience for it.

So why do I bother, because it's easy to hook up with a sexy Pinoy for a short while with no strings attached.)
lastyle7
Freshman Poster

Post by lastyle7 »

Filipinos act like kids, even the so called middle & upper class. I like the Philippines but ppl are pretty slow to comprehend and like to repeat themselves and just plain I don't have the patience for it.

So why do I bother, because it's easy to hook up with a sexy Pinoy for a short while with no strings attached.)
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

lastyle7 wrote:Filipinos act like kids, even the so called middle & upper class. I like the Philippines but ppl are pretty slow to comprehend and like to repeat themselves and just plain I don't have the patience for it.

Ummmm you mean Pinay. A Pinoy basically is a Filipino man; it's basically a man from the Philippines.
Unless you are into ladyboys like XiongMao the HA poster is..
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

The Filipinos have to take some part of the blame for the way Anglo foreigners treat them. One thing the Filipinos have done is trumpet to the world that they are the 2d/3d English speaking nation on earth, that they are a Christian country and then also, they walk around Manila with T-shirts with huge letters "USA" on them.

Hence, when these Anglo people come, they expect to find another Anglo Christian country. What they encounter, though, is basically a Hindu Malay nation ( in behavior and thought) and a country where English is not spoken much after all.

Generally, such Anglo foreigners do not behave like that in Indonesia or even in Malaysia. They can get their ass kicked there but good. But Filipinos as a rule accommodate foreigners and make them feel like it is the foreigner's country.

It is the Hindu thing- you see the same in India. And the same passivity in the face of a cheeky foreigner who treats locals like they are the foreigners.

But my main problem with the Philippines is not that. It is the music. Or lack thereof. Why so little Filipino music? Why all this old American music on the air? Ousting just about everything local. I went to a birthday party at a local Shakey's. Everyone was very happy and singing and the birthday boy was singing and ...not one(!!!) Filipino song was sung. WTF!!! ?

Then, on TV you have all these stars again singing these oooooooooold American songs from like the 70ies. And everyone is sooo enthralled by them. WTF! This is the Philippines. Why can't I enjoy Filipino culture through music? And why am I the only one who is the patriot of Filipino music?

Then I go to a night club and again, the same oooooooooooooold American songs.

Nothing wrong with some foreign songs being played but excuse me! This is the Philippines! An independent sovereign nation. How about local culture and music?

Oh, we were colonized by Americans. So? No excuse! You were! Past tense. Your neighbors don't do that. The Indonesians do not sing Dutch songs all day and on TV, do they? The Cambodians and the VNese and the Laotians do not oust their music for French music. The Malaysians do not play the Beatles and Rolling Stones all day, do they?

So, as long as the Filipino people try to act what they are not and what they can never be, they will have these moronic low class tourists make fun of them. But if they stand strong with their own culture like Indonesia next door - a country so much in touch with its Sri Vijayan past- no one will dare say anything bad about them.

In Jakarta, if you don't speak Bahasa, the locals expect you to learn. They don't talk English ( or Dutch) to foreigners. You are here in Indonesia- you must speak Indonesian. And if you can't, its your problem. Study! And no one disrespects the Indonesians. They just don't dare. And no one calls Indonesians dumb.

These people do not think Filipino music is corny

You basically have the same culture as Indonesia

This is what you are not showing to the world enough of while your neighbors do and they get respect and admiration.

And if you talk to the right foreigners in right countries you will not be disrespected:

This Filipino is singing in Bulgarian in Bulgaria. Look how the Bulgarians treat him and how happy they are to see him. They are crying!

A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

ladislav wrote:The Filipinos have to take some part of the blame for the way Anglo foreigners treat them. One thing the Filipinos have done is trumpet to the world that they are the 2d/3d English speaking nation on earth, that they are a Christian country and then also, they walk around Manila with T-shirts with huge letters "USA" on them.

Hence, when these Anglo people come, they expect to find another Anglo Christian country. What they encounter, though, is basically a Hindu Malay nation ( in behavior and thought) and a country where English is not spoken much after all.

Generally, such Anglo foreigners do not behave like that in Indonesia or even in Malaysia. They can get their a** kicked there but good. But Filipinos as a rule accommodate foreigners and make them feel like it is the foreigner's country.

It is the Hindu thing- you see the same in India. And the same passivity in the face of a cheeky foreigner who treats locals like they are the foreigners.

But my main problem with the Philippines is not that. It is the music. Or lack thereof. Why so little Filipino music? Why all this old American music on the air? Ousting just about everything local. I went to a birthday party at a local Shakey's. Everyone was very happy and singing and the birthday boy was singing and ...not one(!!!) Filipino song was sung. WTF!!! ?

Then, on TV you have all these stars again singing these oooooooooold American songs from like the 70ies. And everyone is sooo enthralled by them. WTF! This is the Philippines. Why can't I enjoy Filipino culture through music? And why am I the only one who is the patriot of Filipino music?

Then I go to a night club and again, the same oooooooooooooold American songs.

Nothing wrong with some foreign songs being played but excuse me! This is the Philippines! An independent sovereign nation. How about local culture and music?

Oh, we were colonized by Americans. So? No excuse! You were! Past tense. Your neighbors don't do that. The Indonesians do not sing Dutch songs all day and on TV, do they? The Cambodians and the VNese and the Laotians do not oust their music for French music. The Malaysians do not play the Beatles and Rolling Stones all day, do they?

So, as long as the Filipino people try to act what they are not and what they can never be, they will have these moronic low class tourists make fun of them. But if they stand strong with their own culture like Indonesia next door - a country so much in touch with its Sri Vijayan past- no one will dare say anything bad about them.

In Jakarta, if you don't speak Bahasa, the locals expect you to learn. They don't talk English ( or Dutch) to foreigners. You are here in Indonesia- you must speak Indonesian. And if you can't, its your problem. Study! And no one disrespects the Indonesians. They just don't dare. And no one calls Indonesians dumb.

These people do not think Filipino music is corny

You basically have the same culture as Indonesia

This is what you are not showing to the world enough of while your neighbors do and they get respect and admiration.

And if you talk to the right foreigners in right countries you will not be disrespected:

This Filipino is singing in Bulgarian in Bulgaria. Look how the Bulgarians treat him and how happy they are to see him. They are crying!

This is an excellent post! A lot of truth about SE Asia in one post!!!
+∞ (infinity thumbs up)
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
lastyle7
Freshman Poster

Post by lastyle7 »

E_Irizarry wrote:
lastyle7 wrote:Filipinos act like kids, even the so called middle & upper class. I like the Philippines but ppl are pretty slow to comprehend and like to repeat themselves and just plain I don't have the patience for it.

Ummmm you mean Pinay. A Pinoy basically is a Filipino man; it's basically a man from the Philippines.
Unless you are into ladyboys like XiongMao the HA poster is..
lol, my error
lastyle7
Freshman Poster

Post by lastyle7 »

hmm, Winston is sorta right, Thais love American music but they will attack a farang in a heartbeat if a fight broke out. In fact Thais say and do what they want in their country and I respect them for it but at the same time they will come up with all sorts of nonsense in order to extort from a foreigner if opportunity presents itself.