Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

7 Reasons Why Retiring in Philippines is Your Best Choice

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

7 Reasons Why Retiring in Philippines is Your Best Choice

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:33 pm

7 Reasons Why Retiring in the Philippines is Your Best Choice

http://abutinangpangarap.ning.com/profiles/blogs/7-reasons-why-retiring-in-the

That guy is renting a townhouse for only $150 a month! See his home and expense sheet above!

Also notice that he put the "getting girls" reason into a category called "people" in order to be more politically correct. hahaha
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Adama » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:36 pm

What about the hot, humid year round weather???
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:44 pm

J.Adama wrote:What about the hot, humid year round weather???

Obviously that's a big con for me. But the guy in the link above doesn't seem to mind it. He described PH as having "great weather". See his link above.

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

weather in PI

Postby robincolorado » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:54 pm

I've heard and have pretty good info that Baguio City has a more moderate climate. Of course not everyone can live in Baguio City for one reason or another. However, the weather there in the Phils has been cause for concern for me considering being retired/expat in the Phils. My gf there in Laog City keeps me posted as to the weather conditions and I have to say it lacks attraction for a year round resident coming from Colorado. If I was coming from someplace like Florida, perhaps I would not mind it so much.
robincolorado
Freshman Poster

Re: weather in PI

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:18 pm

robincolorado wrote:I've heard and have pretty good info that Baguio City has a more moderate climate. Of course not everyone can live in Baguio City for one reason or another. However, the weather there in the Phils has been cause for concern for me considering being retired/expat in the Phils. My gf there in Laog City keeps me posted as to the weather conditions and I have to say it lacks attraction for a year round resident coming from Colorado. If I was coming from someplace like Florida, perhaps I would not mind it so much.

You mean you don't thrive in year long heat and humidity either? Good to know I'm not the only one.

Winston
Site Admin

retirement in pi

Postby starkeep » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:14 am

8) I think retirement in the pi is fine in a good area but some parts there are a lot of crime and you have to watch that you dont get mugged if alone
early in the morning. So that is my and others worrys is the crime. I was divorced after 25 yrs of marrage but a big age gap between 60 and 20 so i hope it lasts a while but not all do. But i guess there is always plenty there. One thing for sure life there and the disire for foreigners is still there. Over here in the us most older males are almost outcasts and are put on a lepar island so there is definately better.
fed up
starkeep
Freshman Poster

Postby The_Adventurer » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:54 pm

I didn't mind the weather. Nowhere near as hot as Vegas. Still I don't know that I could retire there though. I like a nice, technologically advanced, futuristic city, like Seoul, Shanghai or Tokyo. The reason Seoul might hit the top is that while Shanghai and Tokyo are as expensive, if not more so, than LA, Seoul and outlying areas are a lot close to Philippines prices, but you get the future city, outrageous amounts of food choices, fastest internet in the world and so on...
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Re: 7 Reasons Why Retiring in Philippines is Your Best Choic

Postby momopi » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:30 pm

Winston wrote:7 Reasons Why Retiring in the Philippines is Your Best Choice
http://abutinangpangarap.ning.com/profiles/blogs/7-reasons-why-retiring-in-the
That guy is renting a townhouse for only $150 a month! See his home and expense sheet above!
Also notice that he put the "getting girls" reason into a category called "people" in order to be more politically correct. hahaha

@_@! He did a Cebu Restaurant review page:
http://abutinangpangarap.ning.com/profiles/blogs/cebu-restaurants-wheres-a
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Winston » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:50 pm

In regards to Philippines weather, check out this article about how dangerous heat and humidity combined can be. When there's humidity, heat can't evaporate and any heat your body loses is immediately offset by gains in heat. That's what I hate the most.

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/life/heat.htm

Here is another one:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_5_32/ai_87854525/

This part is very revealing and might explain why I always felt drowsy in the Philippines:

Researchers aren't sure why humidity appears to increase aches. However, they do know why hot, humid days can cause fatigue. Normally, your body perspires to cool you down when temperatures are high, according to Malek. But if the humidity is also high, you're trapped in a moist environment where your sweat can't evaporate and escape from your skin. This causes you to expend extra energy, which can leave you feeling sluggish or fatigued.

Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:29 pm

The Perks of Retirement in Thailand and the Philippines
These countries are offering special programs of benefits to attract foreign retirees.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/2014/09/30/the-perks-of-retirement-in-thailand-and-the-philippines

Winston
Site Admin

Postby MrMark1972 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:20 am

It seems that the original link at the top is no longer active....too bad,would have liked to read it.
MrMark1972
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Retiring to Phils might be the only way it is worth a damn to live there. I tried to go there as a young earner, which is why I failed. Got to have that pension...
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby mentor » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:35 am

Anybody here that already retired in Philippines?
A cost of living analysis would be very useful.
mentor
Freshman Poster

Postby mentor » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:44 am

Any real world cost of living analysis?
Basic expenses?
mentor
Freshman Poster

Re: retirement in pi

Postby Yohan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:59 am

starkeep wrote:... I think retirement in the pi is fine in a good area but some parts there are a lot of crime and you have to watch that you dont get mugged if alone early in the morning. So that is my and others worrys is the crime....

This is very true. It is a big difference between a young backpacker walking around from island to island or an older Western man who is living for a longer time in Philippines renting a house. Such a foreign man is clearly at the risk to become a target of robbery, burglary, even kidnapping.

I can only advice foreign men considering retirement in Philippines to do what rich Filipinos are doing all the time.

Rent or buy property in a guarded community or condominium building, avoid to be out in the streets past 10 PM to 6 AM, never carry any valuables with you like expensive watches, keep in your wallet only the minimum of cash, otherwise use ATM cards etc.
It's about common sense, some Western cities are also dangerous. It's not only about Philippines.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand