Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Taiwan is Boring, Repressed, Loveless, etc.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby keius » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:04 am

Not bad. The style of clothing is ok for you i think. It's always easier to be critical rather than having good suggestions, sooo....heres my attempt.

Brighter tones like classic single color yellow polo shirts would prob look good on you. Not sure but brighter colors might work for you. I'd avoid the hawai style shirts still :)

I'd avoid those bracelets. They don't go over well in some countries/areas.
Loosen the shirts a bit so they hang over the belt a bit more. It looks more casual that way and will ensure your never in a situation where they might stretch over your gut. It's how i wear it myself nowadays.
The fit looks off on some of the clothing.
example: The blue sportsjacket looks like the chest could be wider and some padding should be added to fill in the shoulders. It could work fine with someone of a different build, but for yours, it'd def look better with those mods.
Alot of times, it's about how you carry yourself and not always how you look. Avoid postures like that 3rd pic. Walk straight and UPRIGHT. Nothing turns off a girl like slouching.
Make sure you wear decent shoes that go with the look. Your short like me so i'd recommend going with man shoes with standard 1.5 inch heels.
More than that and you'd look like your trying to compensate.

I'd also trim the hair on your sides a bit thinner, more like a flat plane. It'll make your face look a bit thinner i believe.

Can't think of anything else.
keius
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:44 pm







Postby Repatriate » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:20 am

In addition to the above suggestions on a night out i'd recommend a nice well fit long sleeved dark colored dress shirt or shirts with a tasteful vertical pattern to offset your height/weight.

Also look for soft "lambskin" leather jackets that are beige, brown, etc..

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx ... eeds*12483

Something like this might work but a little less for the outdoors.

Get pants that are fitted. I see a lot of looseness and bagginess and it looks especially bad if you are not physically fit. The worst thing you can wear is a polo shirt with pants that don't fit well and a belly that hangs above. It just makes you look unkempt.

Remember to get a nice belt too.

Ever try wearing tinted glasses too? Not aviators or fratboy wraparounds but just sunglasses with a mild tint might look better.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Postby Repatriate » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:48 am

I've pointed this out before to you Winston but these men have a similar body shape height/weight as you do and they dress pretty well. You can easily get clothes that look like this without breaking the bank.

Eric Tsang:

http://www.google.co.th/images?hl=en&so ... =&gs_rfai=

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... p1Eil85yBz

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6fyaIP-cj0o/S ... +tsang.jpg

(Notice he's not wearing anything special but his clothes look well fit and matching)

Paul Giamatti:

http://www.google.co.th/images?hl=en&sa ... =&gs_rfai=

http://www.gossipcop.com/wp-content/upl ... 456242.jpg

http://cdn.sheknows.com/celebrityphotos ... -adams.jpg

http://www.superiorpics.com/wenn_album/ ... 090706.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... ztbSPFQwvP
Repatriate
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Postby Winston » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:37 pm

Terrence wrote:Where are you in that first picture? Is that in Philippines with a Philippines girl?


Yes that was in Angeles City. The girl was cute huh?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23600
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Winston » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 pm

keius wrote:I wasn't talking about Repatriate so much as about Swincor when referring to the insults.

I think as THE mod here, you shouldn't let yourself lose it as badly as you did with Swincor. The way you handled it wasn't very good for your image. It just made you look really defensive, when your going F'you, A-hole, etc. I don't recall him resorting to this. Might have to search through some posts but i could be wrong.
Usually, when someone resorts to name calling, it means conceding that he could be right.

I think alot of the things Repatriate hit on were on the ball (though i don't agree entirely).
On page 14, he was highly critical of you BUT if you really read what he said, i don't consider them insults. I think alot of it was constructive and objective. Honestly, i think Repatriate was trying to help and was trying to be as polite as possible without being insulting.
I've had some things said of me that are on that level and i took it as criticism and thought about it. Most times it was ALOT more crude than how Repatriate put it.
And, if what Repatriate said was directed at me, i would not take it as insulting (especially online). I'm a very introspective guy(more so as i age). I know where i'm lacking and where my faults lie.
When he says that you look like a Chinese uncle type or that you've got a big ego, it's not an insult OK, it's being objective. He was trying to get you to take a good look at yourself. I think you sorta look like one too and yes, you do come off as someone with a big ego. No insult is intended when i say that. ( i think you can lose that look if you lost some weight btw)

And as a third party, it's easy for me to be fairly objective. I think that you are taking advice a bit out of whack and getting way too defensive about it.
I don't have double standards (for this at least). I don't know either of you personally. My viewpoint is that you solicited for a bit of advice and that you should think about what people said, whether or not you like it.

It wasn't just his opinions. They don't reflect the world. But it seemed like most of those who bothered posting in this thread agreed.


Keius,
You're not looking at the whole picture. I know who swincor is. He has been banned multiple times and keeps returning. He cannot even admit that $20 is more money than $1 just cause it would mean that I am right. When someone will not concede that 20 is greater than 1, then he is not here to have a serious discussion, he is here to be an asshole and put me down any way I can.

I am very tolerant here, more tolerant that most forum mods who get rid of anyone they don't like. But my patience is not unlimited. I am not Gandhi. I am reasonable and fair, and forgiving too, but not a Gandhi who turns the other cheek at every conflict. Please be realistic.

If you were in my shoes, would you have unlimited patience with a guy who continually harasses you without end? And also lies about you too? And keeps returning after being banned?

Repatriate has a few good suggestions, but when he says stuff like I have no social skills cause all I can talk about are aliens and UFO's, that is taking it to the extreme, wouldn't you agree?

If you ask people that have met me, they will tell you that is not true, and that I can talk about multiple things and hold conversations with different types of people. For example, a guy that I hung out many times in Seattle wrote on my Couchsurfing profile:

Winston - an Engaging personality! Met Winston at a social event, and was won over by his open, friendly nature, and ability to converse on a deeper plane than most. He is a really fun guy to be around - there is never a dull moment with Winston! He is a prolific and articulate writer, and his homepage is a site for sore eyes :)
He is equally comfy talking to someone 1-1 as well as regaling groups of people with his world-wide adventures. Winston is definitely someone I'd love to be friends with, and hope to run into again.


Even a girl in Colorado wrote about me:

fabulous surfer. We ate chinese and I drank a lot of beer. Very nice guy with many intelligent things to say. Would have him over again anytime.


So you see, don't you agree that Repatriate was exaggerating and being prejudiced when he said that? At least admit the obvious please.

Other than in this forum, no one has ever said I looked like an uncle or taxi driver. What does an uncle type look like?

John Travolta looks chubby now too, but no one says he looks like an uncle type or taxi driver. He still looks good.

You also gotta keep in mind that the camera adds 10 pounds to you, so I look fatter in photos than in person.
Last edited by Winston on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23600
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Winston » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:58 pm

keius wrote:Not bad. The style of clothing is ok for you i think. It's always easier to be critical rather than having good suggestions, sooo....heres my attempt.

Brighter tones like classic single color yellow polo shirts would prob look good on you. Not sure but brighter colors might work for you. I'd avoid the hawai style shirts still :)

I'd avoid those bracelets. They don't go over well in some countries/areas.
Loosen the shirts a bit so they hang over the belt a bit more. It looks more casual that way and will ensure your never in a situation where they might stretch over your gut. It's how i wear it myself nowadays.
The fit looks off on some of the clothing.
example: The blue sportsjacket looks like the chest could be wider and some padding should be added to fill in the shoulders. It could work fine with someone of a different build, but for yours, it'd def look better with those mods.
Alot of times, it's about how you carry yourself and not always how you look. Avoid postures like that 3rd pic. Walk straight and UPRIGHT. Nothing turns off a girl like slouching.
Make sure you wear decent shoes that go with the look. Your short like me so i'd recommend going with man shoes with standard 1.5 inch heels.
More than that and you'd look like your trying to compensate.

I'd also trim the hair on your sides a bit thinner, more like a flat plane. It'll make your face look a bit thinner i believe.

Can't think of anything else.


You mean the third picture where I was sitting down? Well leaning forward is an sign of enthusiasm isn't it? Especially when you are with a girl you like. That's why I was leaning forward in that photo.

I always trim my sides short to make my face look thinner. If I don't, they bulge out and make my face look like a triangle. It's horrible. My hair cannot be combed back. That's the problem. But if I cut it that short, then I have no style except a buzz cut. The only way to have style is to leave the top of my hair longer and do something like spike it up or something, like young Asian guys do, but I hate that look. It looks gay to me.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23600
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Winston » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Repatriate wrote:I've pointed this out before to you Winston but these men have a similar body shape height/weight as you do and they dress pretty well. You can easily get clothes that look like this without breaking the bank.

Eric Tsang:

http://www.google.co.th/images?hl=en&so ... =&gs_rfai=

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... p1Eil85yBz

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6fyaIP-cj0o/S ... +tsang.jpg

(Notice he's not wearing anything special but his clothes look well fit and matching)

Paul Giamatti:

http://www.google.co.th/images?hl=en&sa ... =&gs_rfai=

http://www.gossipcop.com/wp-content/upl ... 456242.jpg

http://cdn.sheknows.com/celebrityphotos ... -adams.jpg

http://www.superiorpics.com/wenn_album/ ... 090706.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... ztbSPFQwvP


I don't think I look like those guys. And the second guy was a white guy who was semi bald. How do I look like him? lol

But then again, when I see two hot girls who look alike, and I tell one of them "Hey you look like her", she will usually say "No I don't! I look nothing like her!"

What about Chow Yun Fat? Is he an uncle type just cause he looks older? He is still an Asian heart throb. Just cause I have a belly doesn't make me an uncle type. I definitely do not act like an uncle type at all. Girls usually say I have an innocent naive look. Uncle types don't have that look on their face.

I hate baggy pants, but how can I avoid them? Pants of my waist size 34-35 in department stores usually have baggy legs. The skinny leg pants are all under 32. So how do I avoid baggy pants?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23600
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Repatriate » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Winston wrote:I don't think I look like those guys. And the second guy was a white guy who was semi bald. How do I look like him? lol

I said you had the same body type. Both of those men are short and kind of chubby. Yet they dress well and obviously carry themselves well too.
But then again, when I see two hot girls who look alike, and I tell one of them "Hey you look like her", she will usually say "No I don't! I look nothing like her!"

What about Chow Yun Fat? Is he an uncle type just cause he looks older? He is still an Asian heart throb. Just cause I have a belly doesn't make me an uncle type. I definitely do not act like an uncle type at all. Girls usually say I have an innocent naive look. Uncle types don't have that look on their face.

I read your other post and you're absolutely delusional if you think you can compare yourself with Chow Yun Fat (at any age) or John Travolta. He's not called an "uncle" because a) he doesn't look like one B) he's tall and still in pretty good shape. In your other post you mentioned Travolta..the guy may be a bit chubbier than he used to be but he's tall, with broad wide shoulders, and a handsome face. Even if he wasn't famous women would still go for that look.
I hate baggy pants, but how can I avoid them? Pants of my waist size 34-35 in department stores usually have baggy legs. The skinny leg pants are all under 32. So how do I avoid baggy pants?

Go to a seamstress or one of those cheap tailor shops all over asia and tell her to fit your pants to prevent looseness. It's not so much the baggy style it's the fact that your pants look like a potato sack when worn.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Postby swincor » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:46 pm

keius wrote:I wasn't talking about Repatriate so much as about Swincor when referring to the insults.

I think as THE mod here, you shouldn't let yourself lose it as badly as you did with Swincor. The way you handled it wasn't very good for your image. It just made you look really defensive, when your going F'you, A-hole, etc. I don't recall him resorting to this.



You don't recall because I never have.



Winston wrote:He cannot even admit that $20 is more money than $1 just cause it would mean that I am right. When someone will not concede that 20 is greater than 1, then he is not here to have a serious discussion, he is here to be an asshole and put me down any way I can.



I think you're confusing me with Chemist.



Other than in this forum, no one has ever said I looked like an uncle or taxi driver.



Well, openly assessing your physical looks is not the sort of thing that regularly comes up when you're just shooting the breeze with people. If people do notice something striking about you, chances are they'll generally skirt around it, probably out of politeness more than anything. They aren't going to be honest about things they suspect you might interpret as offensive, or will arouse hostility from you.


What does an uncle type look like?

John Travolta looks chubby now too, but no one says he looks like an uncle type or taxi driver. He still looks good.

You also gotta keep in mind that the camera adds 10 pounds to you, so I look fatter in photos than in person.



That may be true, but in this case I'm afraid the pictures are accurately depicting reality. The inescapable, undeniable fact is, you're still fat anyway.
swincor
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:26 pm

Postby pete98146 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 pm

I've read this thread and I agree it's getting a bit out of hand. Winston I'm going to put in my two cents worth but PLEASE think of this as constructive criticism only. Any guy who has discovered Filipinas will always be a brother to me. That said, here is what I would recommend to you Winston if you are trying to impress the ladies at ANY club.

1. I see in many of your pictures that you carry that big camera bag draped over your shoulder. IMHO, it gives you the impression of being a tourist. Girls will automatically assume you are only in town for a few days so why bother striking up a conversation with you. The new point and shoots are SO small. Can you buy one along with a camera protector and attach it to your belt or better yet carry it in your pocket?

2. Unfortunately I have to dress up every day for work and I have over 20 years experience in this matter. I'd ditch the polo shirts. They work well for a casual setting but when trying to impress the ladies stick with dark colored dress shirts. Since you are in Asia, you should be able to have a few custom made for around $25 each. Absolutely the best color is black. It looks stylish and it tends to make people look slender. I saw you wearing a medium dark blue dress shirt. That works well too...but black is king. Also, don't be afraid to wear a dress shirt without tucking it in.

Also try wearing some nice jeans with your dress shirt. It's a good combo.

3. I have to agree with the other guys about the shoes. They are an important touch. My friend also wears those "walking shoes" and he hasn't had a date in 5 years. You have to invest in a quality pair of BLACK Italian style loafers. Spend a bit more on these and they will last you for 10 years. Stay away from the brown colored shoes. They look too nerdy.

4. I also have coarse hair. I'd recommend keeping your hair a bit longer and wearing gel to keep it managed. Spiky longer hair can look good with some gel.

5. Diet is the hardest part. Ninety nine percent of the reason why people are fat are eating too many carbs/sugar. Do you drink soda pop? If so, cut it out and drink more water. Also skip the desert especially late at night. If you have a tendancy to eat too much rice, limit yourself to a portion the size of your fist. Try to eat more meat, fruits and veggies and watch your waistline start to shrink.

Don't let them get you down Winston. You are a good guy. Follow some of these edits and watch your results improve!
User avatar
pete98146
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Postby momopi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:39 am

IMO dark brown dress shoes are OK as long as you get a matching belt for business causal. Ecco used to make some good quality shoes, but lately the quality (and price) has gone down to reflect recent economic downturn:

http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/mens/

You can also check Allen Edmond's clearance section for some deals:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/ca ... 0000001_-1


The problem with pants is that anything over 34/36 waist has "fat legs", so unless if you're 28-34, you need to shop for pants with a good cut. The Express used to have some nice dress pants with good cut, and Club Monaco has nice jeans once in a while (you have to get lucky and find them during the season). Lately I've been shopping for jeans at Buffalo Exchange and got some really nice deals.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4709
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Postby Coolvan26 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm currently living in Taipei. I'm a Vietnamese American with light skin so people always think I'm Taiwanese or Japanese. I was an English teacher until I got fired because my bosses' husband didn't like that his wife and I were spending too much time together.

Anyway, I came to Taiwan with a dream of learning Chinese and enjoy the country since I love Asia. I thought Taiwan would be like Thailand and Vietnam but more modern and clean. I was wrong! Taiwan may be richer but life her is so boring and the people are so conservative! I ould not agree more with Winston. After 5 months of being positive, today I snapped and had to be honest with myself and admit Taiwan is a terrible place for a open minded, expressive, and loving person like me.

I've dated 4 Taiwanese girls and can honesty say I really only like one because she also dislike the way the culture is. All other girls think I'm strange because I'm very directly and affectionate. I don't like to make excuses and don't hide the fact I'm attracted to them, which is a bad combination in Taiwan.

In my experience Taiwanese girls are THE MOST high maintenance, stuck up, and self-entitled in all of Asian, well Korean girls are up their too (Korean #1, Taiwanese #2)

When I go stay in Vietnam and Thailand, people are so much more real and open. I could hangout with some girls and we won't have such forced conversations. We can have lots of fun and their very down to earth. Even when their English is not the best, they can still show me a good time (non-sexually).

Pretty Taiwanese girls seem to be more about 1) What can you do for me?, 2) How much money do you have?, and 3) Can you curry my purse as well as disregard your values and Western way of thinking if I don't like it.

Average Taiwanese girls are the same. At least in other countries when girls are less attractive, their more realistic and not so uptight.

People always talk about how Taiwanese people are friendly and nice. People wake up! Everyone and anyone can be nice! Especially if your running a business and want to make money! Yes Taiwanese people are friendly and nice but so are most people!

I guess the most upsetting thing about Taiwan is that I had hoped they would be more open-minded since education and economy are better but people are not. I plan on leaving Taiwan in one month and I can't wait.

It's sad because I was an English teacher (I taught Kindergarten, 3rd grade, middle school, and high school) and every grade higher I taught I saw the kids being stripped of their creativity and imagination as they got older because of how much school they were put through. The physical education in Taiwan is terrible and kids are forced to sit all day and study and not allow to be kids. It's ridiculous! I can understand why people here grow up and are so bitter and cling on to old traditions and conservative attitudes, it's because they've been tortured!

The one and only thing I can't complain about Taiwan is their food! Delicious! People to be honest, I'm very sad. I wanted so bad to love Taiwan and it's difficult to admit this country is well very boring and fake. For people who have never been here or are new, you won't understand my compliant until you stay here long enough to let your positive attitude and patience run out.

Vietnam and Thailand may be more poor but at least the people really know how to love, relax, and have fun together. Most Taiwanese people only know work, pride, and conservative ideals.
Coolvan26
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Postby zboy1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Coolvan26 wrote:I'm currently living in Taipei. I'm a Vietnamese American with light skin so people always think I'm Taiwanese or Japanese. I was an English teacher until I got fired because my bosses' husband didn't like that his wife and I were spending too much time together.

Anyway, I came to Taiwan with a dream of learning Chinese and enjoy the country since I love Asia. I thought Taiwan would be like Thailand and Vietnam but more modern and clean. I was wrong! Taiwan may be richer but life her is so boring and the people are so conservative! I ould not agree more with Winston. After 5 months of being positive, today I snapped and had to be honest with myself and admit Taiwan is a terrible place for a open minded, expressive, and loving person like me.

I've dated 4 Taiwanese girls and can honesty say I really only like one because she also dislike the way the culture is. All other girls think I'm strange because I'm very directly and affectionate. I don't like to make excuses and don't hide the fact I'm attracted to them, which is a bad combination in Taiwan.

In my experience Taiwanese girls are THE MOST high maintenance, stuck up, and self-entitled in all of Asian, well Korean girls are up their too (Korean #1, Taiwanese #2)

When I go stay in Vietnam and Thailand, people are so much more real and open. I could hangout with some girls and we won't have such forced conversations. We can have lots of fun and their very down to earth. Even when their English is not the best, they can still show me a good time (non-sexually).

Pretty Taiwanese girls seem to be more about 1) What can you do for me?, 2) How much money do you have?, and 3) Can you curry my purse as well as disregard your values and Western way of thinking if I don't like it.

Average Taiwanese girls are the same. At least in other countries when girls are less attractive, their more realistic and not so uptight.

People always talk about how Taiwanese people are friendly and nice. People wake up! Everyone and anyone can be nice! Especially if your running a business and want to make money! Yes Taiwanese people are friendly and nice but so are most people!

I guess the most upsetting thing about Taiwan is that I had hoped they would be more open-minded since education and economy are better but people are not. I plan on leaving Taiwan in one month and I can't wait.

It's sad because I was an English teacher (I taught Kindergarten, 3rd grade, middle school, and high school) and every grade higher I taught I saw the kids being stripped of their creativity and imagination as they got older because of how much school they were put through. The physical education in Taiwan is terrible and kids are forced to sit all day and study and not allow to be kids. It's ridiculous! I can understand why people here grow up and are so bitter and cling on to old traditions and conservative attitudes, it's because they've been tortured!

The one and only thing I can't complain about Taiwan is their food! Delicious! People to be honest, I'm very sad. I wanted so bad to love Taiwan and it's difficult to admit this country is well very boring and fake. For people who have never been here or are new, you won't understand my compliant until you stay here long enough to let your positive attitude and patience run out.

Vietnam and Thailand may be more poor but at least the people really know how to love, relax, and have fun together. Most Taiwanese people only know work, pride, and conservative ideals.


Good post Coolvan26! Korean women are the same way...I'm hoping Chinese women aren't anything like Korean and Taiwanese girls when I go to China this fall...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby kai1275 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:03 pm

WOW! That is a strong report right there! Since I spend most of my time with mainland Chinese people, I interact very little with Taiwanese people, but I do go to a Chinese church sometimes and many there are Taiwanese actually. It took me a while to be able to notice the differences, but they are very very conservative and in many ways more robotic than mainlanders are. They kinda come off a little stuck up, but they are also very educated too, which makes them not much different than other highly educated group of professionals. One thing though is that they are sooo boring at times, I often times feel like I am a little demon around lambs. I refuse to go out on their weekend outings because I think I am too crude for their sensibilities..... It's very uncomfortable at times and I have been a decently devout Christian for a very very long time! The girls have zero approachability, at least at the beginning. After a year or so of hanging out with them, they seem to like me alot, and nowadays they smile at me, but I already have a woman now, so I cannot put that to the test.

Some of them are ridiculously rich with very expensive tastes too! A rich mainland Chinese person can be dressed like a bum. Not a rich Taiwanese! There are 3 girls in that group with 40,000+ Cartier looking diamond rings on, with 200+ dollar designer clothes too. Some of them go to or went to the local Ivy league school as well.

I'm still learning more about Taiwanese, but it has been very interesting to observe....
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby kai1275 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Zboy, they are totally different. Like not even close! Two totally different worlds. That is why I never comment on Taiwan related threads. I have been reading these threads on occasion because I want to learn more about them too.

The only time I see Taiwanese hanging out with Mainlanders here in the US, is if they have some other reason to identify with. Like they are Christian, Engineers at work or similar industry, etc. Mainlanders don't understand them very well either from what they tell me.
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests