An Important Element of Chinese Culture

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Barbaradavid
Freshman Poster

An Important Element of Chinese Culture

Post by Barbaradavid »

The Hakkas are a unique ethnic group of "Han" Chinese originally active around the Yellow River area, Hakka people also have married other ethnic groups and adopted their cultures during the long journey history of 2000 years, Well I think that they are thought to be one of the earliest "Han" settlers in China, Hakka people are noted for their protection of certain cultural characteristics that could be traced to pre-Qin period (about 2200 years ago) as expressed in the custom, foods, spoken language, etc. They are also paradoxically conservative and endeavoring, hard-working and enduring, is reflective of the spirit of Chinese culture.
Last edited by Barbaradavid on September 9th, 2010, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: An Important Element of Chinese Culture

Post by Rock »

Barbaradavid wrote:Hello everyone,

The Hakkas are a unique ethnic group of "Han" Chinese originally active around the Yellow River area, Hakka people also have married other ethnic groups and adopted their cultures during the long journey history of 2000 years, Well I think that they are thought to be one of the earliest "Han" settlers in China, Hakka people are noted for their protection of certain cultural characteristics that could be traced to pre-Qin period (about 2200 years ago) as expressed in the custom, foods, spoken language, etc. They are also paradoxically conservative and endeavoring, hard-working and enduring, is reflective of the spirit of Chinese culture.

Thanks.
I spent over a year in a predominantly Hakka area of Taiwan (Yangmei and Chungli). Many of the ones I knew were frugal to the point of being cheap or stingy. But I respected their lack of showiness relative to Taiwan descendants of southern Fujian or other areas of China. It was not hard to find affluent Hakka families driving cheap older cars and living in very modest homes. The Hakka dialect they often speak among themselves in that area of Taiwan sounds pretty harsh to my ears too.