Thailand - Retirement Paradise For Western Men

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

ladislav wrote:The title of this article is Thailand, a Retirement Paradise for White Men.
My point- it is not. It is a retirement paradise for yellow or yellow- brown men. People there like Singaporeans, Taiwanese, Chinese, Koreans and Japanese. Malaysians. White people are not particularly liked, but are tolerated.
Thailand only has 20,000 + Americans living there. The Philippines- over 100,000. More Americans live in the Philippines than in any other Asian country.
In Thailand, I feel, white people are only tolerated because of money.
Anyway, Thailand not recommended by me as a retirement paradise for White men. For yellow and brown men, yes.
You are white? Do not move there!
I think this statement is widely exaggerated.
It is true that not so many men from USA are living in Thailand, but in Thailand there are many 'white men' from EU, and not to forget to mention all these Russians from Siberia.

Thai people are always business-minded, and therefore any foreigner regardless his race, who cannot speak Thai but has money (EU, USA etc.) is much more welcome than any foreigner regardless his race, who can speak Thai but has no money (Vietnam, Myanmar etc.)

My family (EU+Japan) is visiting Thailand since maybe 30+ years and while we do not have any personal relationship with the Thai people, we cannot complain about any form of discrimination.

In my area, in Pattaya there are many foreigners, any nationality, in Chonburi region there are about 400.000 foreigners registered and add to that all these overseas visitors - over 5 million foreign tourists, and there are rich Thai from Bangkok who have a second house in that area, and also many poor Thai from rural areas who are doing any kind of job - and what counts here is the money you spend - as everywhere in this world - and sometimes, it counts a lot if the Thai business owner knows you as his/her frequent customer.

Near my place in Pattaya/Jomtien we are using always the same gas-station, workers know me and know they get a tip. Same with my motorcycle, which is is serviced by the same shop since years. We are owners in a guarded condominium complex, no problems with the house administration and with our accounting/law office, we use the same hospital since years, I go to the same laundry since we bought our retirement home - and we are using the same tailor since years, the same travel agent, the same banking branch, our invoices are paid on time, many restaurant owners know us near our home etc.

Discrimination? Where? How? We never had any problem...but as I said, we do not have any personal relationship with the Thai people.

Personal relationship with the Thai people is a very different matter. A really rich Thai woman will hardly look for a foreigner as her husband, and only Thai women who are not very much suitable for Thai men are willing to be with foreign men. Not all of these women are bad, some are orphans, some were cheated and are now single mothers, some had a medical problem and cannot get children anymore, some are from rural provinces and dark-skinned, or not so young anymore - Thai men can be very choosy. Thai men often pay a bride price to the parents of the bride.

However even out of those Thai women not suitable to marry a Thai man many of them look first after themselves and their own relatives, and the foreign husband is not the most important person in their life.

While Thailand is not bad for retirement for foreigners, I would be careful with a Thai wife. If you are into retirement as a foreign man, 50+, single and have your own money from abroad, there is no reason to marry a Thai woman. You will get an extendable 1 year permit anyway.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

I think the problem with Thailand is the overstauration of expats in the country. I remember reading up on how Thailand was like back in the 1990's but now it's just a change place. Thai women used to been more genuine in the past but because of too many expats and the export of westernization it just kind of ruin the place. Sure Thailand is much cheaper still and has good weather but other than that ..I don't know.

For example even the p4p places went down in quality. Again I just think it's too many expats that over monger the place and they ruin it. People will say that thai girls in the bar are scammers but you have to realize the western men and wealthy Asian men who go to p4p action just use the women and toss them to the side. It's like in some ways the expats men in Thailand made thai women into what they are today.

That's why I really think expats when they go abroad should have code of conduct but they just go ape shit overthere and spoil the place.

Yohan,

As long as you have money to spend Thai people will tolerate you. But that's part of the stereotype that Thai people have of westerns . They think your all rich and therefore in one way or the other charge you a different price compared to local thais. Granted you live there for a long time so you might be the exception.

You mention that you don't have a personal relationship with Thai people. I'm of Asian descent and did visit Thailand a long time ago . Because I look almost thai I kind of blend in and notice the double standard treatment that let say a white person gets vs a local or even an Asian person. It's like all an act. In a way there is resentment but they won't say it in front of your face.

Thailand is the land of smiles but I notice it;'s fake smile towards western. It's hard to explain .
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

OutWest wrote: The sugar daddies are mostly Filipino. I am guessing that some substantial percentage of college girls at Xavier U here have such an
arrangement- typically with an older well off Pinoy. One Filipino estimates that about 25% of the girls have such a deal...
How is that somehow extra-negative and old fashioned p4p soupy seconds is somehow better?

:lol:
OutWest wrote:
Wherever it is that you happen to be, if you find and keep a good woman as your own, you are way ahead of those who will spend years genuflecting about love or that lack thereof. It is where you find it.

I need that.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

chanta76 wrote: Sure Thailand is much cheaper still and has good weather but other than that ..I don't know.
That's why I really think expats when they go abroad should have code of conduct but they just go ape shit overthere and spoil the place.

Yohan,
As long as you have money to spend Thai people will tolerate you

You mention that you don't have a personal relationship with Thai people

Thailand is the land of smiles but I notice it;'s fake smile towards western. It's hard to explain
I think, we have very similar observations about Thailand.

As I said, our family has no personal relationship with any Thai. We are living in our condominium in Thailand for our vacation and in future for our retirement and we pay for what we need - in case of serious problems like political unrest, we will quickly leave.

Yes, there are low-class foreigners in Thailand - totally out of money - who depend totally on their Thai relatives, otherwise they would be kicked out. In return they have to serve them, doing any kind of work not only for the wife, but for the entire family clan for free.
viewtopic.php?t=22571&start=45

However in the more expensive expat-condominium buildings, you will find many expats who share our point of view, especially those from Europe. They live in Thailand during winter-time and are back for work in Scandinavia etc. for at least 6 months during spring and autumn to keep their social health care and retirement benefits and to earn money.

As you said, Thailand is only good as long as you have foreign money.
Legally seen it is OK to foreigners, 50+, retired, if they are spending their foreign currency. But otherwise?

Much cheaper? Not really anymore, you have to consider some inflation, imported goods are not cheap at all, and we foreigners cannot live so cheap as Thai people regarding food, health care, housing, visa fee expenses, banking fees etc.

You also have to consider air-fares too. SouthEast Asia is cheap in winter time, as you don't spend anything for heating, winter clothings etc. unlike USA, Canada, Europe - but generally seen, Thailand is not so cheap anymore. Some low-level foreigners moved already over to Cambodia or checking out other destinations as they run into visa and money problems.

For us Thailand is a good and easy destination, short travel (5 hours or so) as we are living in Japan, plenty of cheap airplanes every day between these 2 countries. If you are from Europe or USA I am not so sure, if Thailand is really such a great place.
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Post by Boxman »

MarcosZeitola wrote:It really helps having a young Thai hottie around to help you get in the shower. I think this is how I would spend my old age if I was ever a widower or divorced. :wink:

LOL you sound like an interesting dude. You mentioned earlier you have a Filipina wife and child and that you in the Philippines now.

Just curious what's your story?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Mon dieu, the thread title has blown me away, though it's not the first time I've heard this. The elderly, addle-brained French lecher I rented a place from in Pattaya told me it was a little piece of paradise on this earth.

Well, I won't go through the whole drill again, but suffice to say there is nothing -- NOTHING -- I like about Thailand. I'm now in Warsaw (on to Croatia today), which seems like paradise in comparison, even though it is a rather nondescript city that has to recommend it only its fairly attractive and exceptionally sweet women.

That's the first time I've caught an AIB video, by the way. He does very well in that format.
Bobby
Freshman Poster

Post by Bobby »

Yes, I think AiB is the best source of information on Thailand. One of the few sites that actually has credible information.

His financial take on the country and how much one needs to do ok is spot on in my opinion. I read the most unbelievable stories that people prosper on $1K a month in Thailand: um, no.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

USD 1000,- is about THB 32.000,-.

If you have this income from overseas as a single foreign man on a retirement visa 50+ y/o, living a modest life-style in Thailand, renting a small room, no much use of aircon to avoid high electricity bills, no bargirls etc. then you can manage and survive.

However any medical emergency or otherwise unexpected payment might bring you in serious financial troubles. -

I would not call such a life-style to prosper. - But maybe still better than to live as a retired worker on a small retirement allowance somewhere in a basement and freeze during wintertime in Western countries.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Yohan wrote: we use the same hospital since years, I go to the same laundry since we bought our retirement home - and we are using the same tailor since years, the same travel agent, the same banking branch, our invoices are paid on time, many restaurant owners know us near our home etc.
I'm curious about which tailor you use. I tried a couple in Pattaya for shirts and other stuff, but took the bus to Bangkok three times to use Rajawongse for the suit. They cost twice as much as the Pattaya tailors, but use better materials, and have a much classier front that they present to the public. The Pattaya tailors are jealous of them, and the contract they got with the U.S. embassy, which led the George Bushes to their door. The momentum just took off from there, and they claim to have made thirty suits a day for a long time.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Wow you are the lucky one...

I wish I could live in Thailand. It simply has more positives than negatives compared to any country on the planet.

1. Food

2. Girls.

Getting these two stuff at one place is a paradise in itself but cuts off 90% of the countries on earth, almost all of Europe. Even Philippines only has girls not food. Now add it with...

3. Weather

Almost all of Europe is gone.

4. Cost of living

5. Beach

5. Tolerable crime rate

Now, Food + Girls + Weather <><> We are not talking about average here. Thai food is excellent , girls-nightlife is incredible, Weather is great all year plus add that with nice beach all over the country.

6. Semi-Developed <> Thailand is not poor nor developed like Europe yet it is not like Philippines or India...Its semi-developed.

7. Feminine women - Feminism has not swept over like in Europe

The negatives are Visa and Political situation. Political Situation does not effect day today life much but Visa issue does.
If Thailand could solve its Visa Issues. Man.....That would be heaven on earth for humanity.

----------------

Also, if we look deeper...Japan, Korea, China, Russia, Much of Europe does not share the same culture nor hold similar values on life ..Yet they come and live in Thailand not for economic reasons because they can't work in Thailand but for the place itself. Thaiand adds more value to their life than back home.

Just these three things Food + Weather + Women are enough for a man to find his paradise Thailand adds it some more.

I remember the first time I came to Pattaya and was blown away with the night life and then I went to a restaurant Leng Kee and never left...ate there for the whole trip...It was the best quality food I had in my life

One of the British expat in Thailand was saying, If Thailand allowed easier visa for work and residency...Half of UK will be here...
Luc Furr
Freshman Poster

Re: Thailand - Retirement Paradise For Western Men

Post by Luc Furr »

wuxi wrote:I thought this article was interesting. Some people may disagree with the content.

http://www.henrymakow.com/thailand_is_p ... d_for.html
If Thailand is good for you then great, enjoy your time there.

For me, Thailand was not a good place. I got the hell out of thailand as fast as possible. Of course the devil (that many call God) and I have never really gotten along. Thailand is his turf so for me the ...

Food made me ill
air made me ill
tattooed backpackers made me ill
The more I looked, the more disgusted I became at how many women and men were treated as slaves.

REMEMBER we are in the time of the backwards kingdom! Good has been made to appear evil, evil has been made to appear good. As an example; God is actually the devil, the devil is actually God, and so on.

The goal of the true devil is the end of life...most of his minions, seeking power, wealth and pleasure, don't realize the true devil's actual goal.
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Re: Thailand - Retirement Paradise For Western Men

Post by Boxman »

Luc Furr wrote:
wuxi wrote:I thought this article was interesting. Some people may disagree with the content.

http://www.henrymakow.com/thailand_is_p ... d_for.html
If Thailand is good for you then great, enjoy your time there.

For me, Thailand was not a good place. I got the hell out of thailand as fast as possible. Of course the devil (that many call God) and I have never really gotten along. Thailand is his turf so for me the ...

Food made me ill
air made me ill
tattooed backpackers made me ill
The more I looked, the more disgusted I became at how many women and men were treated as slaves.

REMEMBER we are in the time of the backwards kingdom! Good has been made to appear evil, evil has been made to appear good. As an example; God is actually the devil, the devil is actually God, and so on.

The goal of the true devil is the end of life...most of his minions, seeking power, wealth and pleasure, don't realize the true devil's actual goal.
With this attitude I wonder how you'd ever find happiness... anywhere.
thatkid1
Freshman Poster

Post by thatkid1 »

How about Dubai for a place to retire?