Finding a Wife in the FSU

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.

Time to find a Wife

7 months
10%
14 months
90%

Total votes: 10
Sosyeska
Freshman Poster

Finding a Wife in the FSU

Post by Sosyeska »

So, I will spend the next year living in the FSU to find a wife. I speak Russian.

I know some guys who don't speak Russian and go there for a few weeks/a month and find someone so, with my language skills plus a year, is it enough?

Any tips and advice?
Thanks and much appreciated
(I love this forum :)
Last edited by Sosyeska on January 29th, 2012, 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

That's a very left-brained way to go about finding "love."

I don't see what the problem is, just go and see what happens. If you're this desperate you know deep down that a good career doesn't mean anything without people to share your life with so why not pick a profession with less requirements. Because the medical field requires a big commitment, which isn't really the case with engineering. Some people are so attached to the idea of "success" that they ruin their life chasing it. FYI girls in the baltics are very sexy and there is a shortage of men. You might want to try Lithuania or Latvia because slavic girls don't transition well into western society.
Sosyeska
Freshman Poster

Post by Sosyeska »

odbo wrote:That's a very left-brained way to go about finding "love."

I don't see what the problem is, just go and see what happens. If you're this desperate you know deep down that a good career doesn't mean anything without people to share your life with so why not pick a profession with less requirements. Because the medical field requires a big commitment, which isn't really the case with engineering. Some people are so attached to the idea of "success" that they ruin their life chasing it. FYI girls in the baltics are very sexy and there is a shortage of men. You might want to try Lithuania or Latvia because slavic girls don't transition well into western society.
Good advice, I don't plan on bringing her further west than Poland.
Last edited by Sosyeska on January 29th, 2012, 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

In short, yes.

I lived in the FSU for 2 years and there was an American guy I knew there, who met a Russian girl there the first week we arrived (we traveled together). They dated for a long time, and ended up marrying about a year later, and they're still happily married. That was 15 years ago. Here's the catch: he took her to the US to visit his family and she HATED it in the US, stating the US had no soul and the superficial culture didn't interest her. They've lived in Russia this whole time and are very happy there. Since you speak Russian, you must already know the culture to a certain degree, so I apologize if I'm stating the obvious to you.

That being said, you may find the perfect wife, but beware removing her from her homeland. Do not underestimate the Russian need to be near their family, culture, religion, and terra firma. It's something we wandering Americans don't understand very well and have a hard time relating to. Perhaps she'll be even crazier about you, if you're willing to live there with her. Here in Italy there are tons of Russians and Ukrainians and they love it here, but then again Italy is "Russia-lite", IMHO. You certainly want to make it abundantly clear to your prospective bride where you intend to live together and don't force the issue with her, if she doesn't want to come to the West. Move on, and find a lady who does want to go West. Just my 2 cents.
Sosyeska
Freshman Poster

Post by Sosyeska »

Think Different wrote:In short, yes.

I lived in the FSU for 2 years and there was an American guy I knew there, who met a Russian girl there the first week we arrived (we traveled together). They dated for a long time, and ended up marrying about a year later, and they're still happily married. That was 15 years ago. Here's the catch: he took her to the US to visit his family and she HATED it in the US, stating the US had no soul and the superficial culture didn't interest her. They've lived in Russia this whole time and are very happy there. Since you speak Russian, you must already know the culture to a certain degree, so I apologize if I'm stating the obvious to you.

That being said, you may find the perfect wife, but beware removing her from her homeland. Do not underestimate the Russian need to be near their family, culture, religion, and terra firma. It's something we wandering Americans don't understand very well and have a hard time relating to. Perhaps she'll be even crazier about you, if you're willing to live there with her. Here in Italy there are tons of Russians and Ukrainians and they love it here, but then again Italy is "Russia-lite", IMHO. You certainly want to make it abundantly clear to your prospective bride where you intend to live together and don't force the issue with her, if she doesn't want to come to the West. Move on, and find a lady who does want to go West. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, great advice. I certainly don't intend on taking her further west than Poland. Poland is more western than the FSU, but still very much like FSU-lite.
Same food, similar attitudes, and only a day's train ride away from her home.
Plus, similar languages (6 months and she will be fluent, I know b/c I am fluent in Polish and it took me 6 months to learn Russian when I was living with my Ukrainian girlfriend).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This question doesn't make sense. Why does it have to be 7 or 14? Just go for a few months, and also try out the Baltic States too (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia) and maybe even Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, which are supposedly great frontiers that are off the beaten path for Western men.

Oh and feel free to use my co-branded dating sites to start writing women there. :)
http://personals.happierabroad.com
http://women.happierabroad.com

You can see my favorite profiles from them stickied in threads in the Love/Dating section.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Sosyeska
Freshman Poster

Post by Sosyeska »

Winston wrote:This question doesn't make sense. Why does it have to be 7 or 14? Just go for a few months, and also try out the Baltic States too (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia) and maybe even Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, which are supposedly great frontiers that are off the beaten path for Western men.

Oh and feel free to use my co-branded dating sites to start writing women there. :)
http://personals.happierabroad.com
http://women.happierabroad.com

You can see my favorite profiles from them stickied in threads in the Love/Dating section.
Thanks for the tips.
You're right, it doesn't have to be.

I've also heard great things about Kazakhstan. My friend from there says he kills it with the ladies.
Are there a lot of ethnic Russians there?
Last edited by Sosyeska on January 29th, 2012, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenix
Junior Poster

Post by Fenix »

I am not a PUA and I don't agree with it, but you were wrong for going on Roosh. Lot of the members on that Roosh gave you good advice, but you ignored all of it. That is why you were labeled as a troll and temporarily banned. That was your very first mistake.

Now...

You are too damn young to get married. Men on Roosh were right. You have little to no experience with women, so how the blue hell are you going to live in FSU and get married within a year's time? First of all, it takes longer than a year to get to know someone. I find it funny how you are pursuing a career as an MD, but you want to get married? How are you going to balance out going to school and having a marriage and a family? You sound like a raving feminist trying to juggle 4 things at once.

My real advice would be for you to finish your schooling and then keep improving yourself and then start dating. Another guy on this forum is in the same predicament as you. He is in the Air Force and he wants to pursue a career as an officer, but it doesn't want to be lonely for 2 years, which makes no sense to me. Both of you are in your mid 20s and it makes no sense to be why you guys choose having a girlfriend or wife over making money. Make your money and establish yourself first and then get into a relationship.

You are doomed to fail. You have no experience with women and like the guys on Roosh said, you would be ass raped in court. Men should get married in their 30s or 40s not their 20s. I don't really know your background, but you getting married early is not going to make you happy. I don't understand the rush. You can get married later on. Don't ruin your future career over some p***y, please. Don't be an international statistic.

Modern men seem to act too much like women. You don't need a damn woman. "But, but I will be lonely!" Maybe I am just weird, but your life shouldn't revolve around a woman. You are 24 years old. I thought you were in your 40s. Don't be desperate. At least you are going to a region where you will find a good wife. I don't think you should waste your time getting a wife now. Too damn young man.

I hope you take this the right way. You are seeking advice, but some advice you are not going to like and some if it is not what you want. Don't be desperate. You have too much time on your hands.
Sosyeska
Freshman Poster

Post by Sosyeska »

PhxSosa wrote:I am not a PUA and I don't agree with it, but you were wrong for going on Roosh. Lot of the members on that Roosh gave you good advice, but you ignored all of it. That is why you were labeled as a troll and temporarily banned. That was your very first mistake.

Now...

You are too damn young to get married. Men on Roosh were right. You have little to no experience with women, so how the blue hell are you going to live in FSU and get married within a year's time? First of all, it takes longer than a year to get to know someone. I find it funny how you are pursuing a career as an MD, but you want to get married? How are you going to balance out going to school and having a marriage and a family? You sound like a raving feminist trying to juggle 4 things at once.

My real advice would be for you to finish your schooling and then keep improving yourself and then start dating. Another guy on this forum is in the same predicament as you. He is in the Air Force and he wants to pursue a career as an officer, but it doesn't want to be lonely for 2 years, which makes no sense to me. Both of you are in your mid 20s and it makes no sense to be why you guys choose having a girlfriend or wife over making money. Make your money and establish yourself first and then get into a relationship.

You are doomed to fail. You have no experience with women and like the guys on Roosh said, you would be ass raped in court. Men should get married in their 30s or 40s not their 20s. I don't really know your background, but you getting married early is not going to make you happy. I don't understand the rush. You can get married later on. Don't ruin your future career over some p***y, please. Don't be an international statistic.

Modern men seem to act too much like women. You don't need a damn woman. "But, but I will be lonely!" Maybe I am just weird, but your life shouldn't revolve around a woman. You are 24 years old. I thought you were in your 40s. Don't be desperate. At least you are going to a region where you will find a good wife. I don't think you should waste your time getting a wife now. Too damn young man.

I hope you take this the right way. You are seeking advice, but some advice you are not going to like and some if it is not what you want. Don't be desperate. You have too much time on your hands.
Some good advice here, for sure.
Yes, I want a wife and family. I find it a little strange how people put career before family. My father was married at age 22 and had a kid while doing law school.

However, I agree with the input I've been getting. I'm gonna go over there for a year and date a ton of girls. If I happen to find a girl worth marrying, so be it. But, I'm not gonna focus on it. Que sera sera
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

Ha! Even girls from Baltic states complain how cold, selfish and arrogant America is! However, people who point out Baltic states are correct! MANY men left the country and went to London or other Western Europe searching for jobs. Therefore, if you go to Latvia or Estonia, you will get shocked with the beauty, culture and quality girls available. I am not sure about Lithuania, people from over there seem to be tricky assholes or at least those that I meet.

I am Ukrainian living in America for a long time. I am near my 30ies, so close to your age. I agree with others completely: go there, have fun and see where it goes. Living in FSU has a huge benefit: girls! All over, everywhere you go! We all go to France to try cheese and wine, going to FSU to enjoy girls, why not?

Why do you need a girl from FSU if you are taking her to Poland? Aren't local Polish girls any decent? Of course, Poland has a much higher quality of life compared to say, Ukraine next door. But why go through all this trouble with moving a girl to just another country nearby? I don't get it. If I was in Poland, I would try dating Polish girls. FSU girls are hard to beat, but Polish girls seem to be very decent too.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

PhxSosa wrote:I am not a PUA and I don't agree with it, but you were wrong for going on Roosh. Lot of the members on that Roosh gave you good advice, but you ignored all of it. That is why you were labeled as a troll and temporarily banned. That was your very first mistake.

Now...

I am 24 myself and when I get married, I want it to be to a non western woman.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

There is really no such thing as being too young to get married and this is coming from a guy who isn't sure he wants to get married or have children...

It takes about 10 months from start to finish, so I voted for 14 months.

IMHO and after reading, reading and more reading...

It really shouldn't take much more than 6 months for you to see if a girl is interested in you long term. The problem comes in meeting enough women!

May I suggest vk.com this is the Russian version of Facebook.

How you find women shouldn't be too hard. Nightclubs have a higher ratio of women than men. If your under 30, this might be a good place to start.

Suggestion, not that pulling a girl from Moscow or St Pete is ideal, but you might wanna focus on the outlaying areas who haven't quite the courage to pick up and move away from home.

You can also try LuckyLovers

Good Luck and keep us posted...
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Central Asia

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:....maybe even Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, which are supposedly great frontiers that are off the beaten path for Western men.

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2007/03/0 ... its-women/

http://pics.livejournal.com/megakhuimya ... r/s320x240
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Poland is not bad these days - a friend I used to work with settled out there and seemed to like it.

I wouldn't live in the FSU places like Ukraine, Russia etc. etc. There's too many bad people there (although many of them are in the UK causing our crime epidemic). And the weather/food is awful.

How long it takes to find a wife depends on how picky you are. If you want to live there you're probably better off with a girlfriend you can change for a better model when you tire of her.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.