Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Questions about Russian etiquette/behavior

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Questions about Russian etiquette/behavior

Postby mk09 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:16 am

I read this site - and found a few statements interesting, like:

As a foreigner, you are expected to be on time to all business appointments. However, your Russian counterpart may be late, as this may be a test of your patience. Do not expect an apology from a late Russian, and do not demonstrate any kind of attitude if your business appointments begin one or two hours late. This may also be a test of your patience.

Patience is an extremely important virtue among Russians; punctuality is not.

Some 'hard-line' Russians still view compromise as a sign of weakness, and often refuse to back down. To these individuals, compromising is bad business.

could someone who has been in Russia explain the rationale of these statements? I'm just curious because punctuality and compromise are valued in the West.
Freshman Poster

Postby terminator » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:54 am

I personally never found many Russians to "try your patience" by being purposely late. Although, driving through Moscow traffic always makes people late.

This is the kind of "test" Am Women use to "weed out" Am Men who don't look like Brad Pitt!
Junior Poster

Return to Russia, Ukraine, Former Soviet Republics