Best Countries in Eastern Europe for an American Expat?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Best Countries in Eastern Europe for an American Expat?

Post by Wolfeye »

Hey, everyone. Was just wondering what the best country for an American moving abroad would be? I'm thinking in terms of welcoming-ness (because American bullshit has caused quite a reputation), demographics (non-muslim, plain & simple), and not being hair-splitting with laws (mainly gun ownership, going in the woods without permits, & not getting your balls busted for independent decision-making).

I really don't know if I'll be able to get outright citizenship before my stay limit elapses, so I'm also concerned about how they are with illegal immigration when the guy doesn't start shit with people, works (maybe off-books, but still works), and is a white Slavic that is not sympathetic to islam at all (but IS formerly from America). Being realistic, these are factors- but I also don't want to wind up in Russian jail or something. How easy bribery is would be an admitted interest.

Basically, I'm wondering what my "unofficial situation" is likely to be in different places. I find myself in agreement with a lot of things from the Slavic cultures & the landscape/weather aren't an issue to me. I'm thinking quite seriously about the Czech Republic & Poland, but also Romania & Moldova (and Slovakia, as suggested by someone on this site). I'd honestly like to be in a culture that understands a "Good Wolf vs Bad Wolf" mentality & that it's not being rabid & crazy.
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Re: Best Countries in Eastern Europe for an American Expat?

Post by IraqVet2003 »

Wolfeye wrote:Hey, everyone. Was just wondering what the best country for an American moving abroad would be? I'm thinking in terms of welcoming-ness (because American bullshit has caused quite a reputation), demographics (non-muslim, plain & simple), and not being hair-splitting with laws (mainly gun ownership, going in the woods without permits, & not getting your balls busted for independent decision-making).

I really don't know if I'll be able to get outright citizenship before my stay limit elapses, so I'm also concerned about how they are with illegal immigration when the guy doesn't start shit with people, works (maybe off-books, but still works), and is a white Slavic that is not sympathetic to islam at all (but IS formerly from America). Being realistic, these are factors- but I also don't want to wind up in Russian jail or something. How easy bribery is would be an admitted interest.

Basically, I'm wondering what my "unofficial situation" is likely to be in different places. I find myself in agreement with a lot of things from the Slavic cultures & the landscape/weather aren't an issue to me. I'm thinking quite seriously about the Czech Republic & Poland, but also Romania & Moldova (and Slovakia, as suggested by someone on this site). I'd honestly like to be in a culture that understands a "Good Wolf vs Bad Wolf" mentality & that it's not being rabid & crazy.
Wolfeye, I the Czech Republic looks promising. But I would also add ESTONIA to your list. They have some hot looking women there also.
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

IraqVet2003 wrote:
Wolfeye wrote:Hey, everyone. Was just wondering what the best country for an American moving abroad would be? I'm thinking in terms of welcoming-ness (because American bullshit has caused quite a reputation), demographics (non-muslim, plain & simple), and not being hair-splitting with laws (mainly gun ownership, going in the woods without permits, & not getting your balls busted for independent decision-making).

Wolfeye, I the Czech Republic looks promising. But I would also add ESTONIA and LATVIA to your list. They have some hot looking women there also.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

You'll have to do an independent search. As far as I know, those countries are still anti gun ownership. So you may not have much luck. But instead of working off the books for the rest of your life, you could do like normal people, and get married to a local, obtain citizenship, and get a real job.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

IraqVet2003: Estonia, eh? I'll look into that.

Adama: Well, I figure I would marry a local & do all that- I'm just wondering about the in-between time. I don't want to link-up like that at easiest opportunity if it's not a good "click." I could always wind up living the "Jerry Springer Life: European Version" over there & it defeats a good percentage of my purpose for moving in the first place.

I know Russian gun laws have relaxed quite a bit & the Czech Republic isn't too bad. Not nearly as good as some places in America, admittedly (Maine, Vermont, Arizona, Alaska, Arkansas, etc...). The thing is, I figure I could illegally get my hands on a few guns & good ammo in Eastern Europe- it's not like it never happens. Risk in that is a potentially fluctuating thing from place to place- some spots might let you off just for being a white guy in the times of the moment & invaders are a concern, some might take a bit of bribing, some might flip out over it. Trying to get a general feel for that, as one thing doesn't exactly outmatch the other (it's like the "dirk & sporran"- one's supportive of life in one way, the other's supportive in another).